... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old 12-29-2018, 04:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5942
Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia
Adventurer's League

Game NameAdventurer's League
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeD&D Adventurer's League Adventures in a PBP Format
FlavourSeveral Seasons of Adventure!
Plot SummaryAfter seeing the adventurers being run outside of the official Adventurer's League format with quite a bit of success, I decided to give people on the PBP site the option of trying out the adventure paths - in my opinion, there are some pretty nice adventure modules in the Adventurer's League.

So I'm going to be running all the seasons here, using as many of the default rules for Adventurer's League as relevant.

Application Process
I'm going to run the application for this a bit differently - it's going to be on a "first come first served" basis.

To apply simply state which one of the 8 seasons you would like to participate in. This will book you a 'slot'.

The first five people who apply for a season are booked for that season. Up to 2 other people can apply - but they will be reserve players in the event another player drops out.

You then have a week to complete your application by providing all of the following
  • Character name
  • Character Sheet
  • Race
  • Class
  • Passive Wisdom (Perception)
  • Background
  • The faction your character is part of (if any)
  • Alignment
  • 2 Personality Traits
  • Ideal
  • Bond
  • Flaw
  • A brief description of your characters appearance, personality, and history.

If you do not provide all the information above within a week of your application you will forfeit your slot for that Season IF there are already more than 4 other applicants for that season. If there is space, you will become a reserve. Otherwise, you will need to reapply when there is a space open or apply to a different season.

Once a season has 5 players, that season starts.

You can apply to multiple seasons with either the same character or different ones. However, if you are accepted for any season you can not play in any others.

Applications Rules
I've explained this in more detail here, but to summarize:
  • You begin at 1st level
  • You can create your character using anything in the Player's Handbook
  • You can only use 1 other book for character creation and future advancement (the PHB+1 rule)
  • You use standard array or point buy for attributes
  • You may opt to start as part of a faction (Emerald Enclave, Order of the Gauntlet, The Harpers, Lord's Alliance or the Zhentarim). This replaces your standard background feature with the "Safe Haven" background feature from the Faction Agent Background.
  • Neutral Evil and Chaotic Evil alignments are not allowed. You can only be Lawful Evil if you belong to the Zhentarim or Lord's Alliance faction
  • Clerics must worship a deity
  • You start with one trinket. Do not roll for wealth - use starting equipment from background and class.

Season Specific Character Creation Rules
Season 2 - You may use the Mulmaster Bonds and Backgrounds.

Season 3 - You may use the Hillsfar Backgrounds & Bonds

Season 4 - You may use the Haunted One background or the Curse of Strahd Backgrounds and Bonds

Season 6 - You Start at Level 2

Season 7 - Characters using the Option: Human Languages optional rule may choose Chultan as their language.

Other Information

Applying to be a CO-GM
If you'd like to assist me in GM-ing, feel free to let me know which season(s) you might be interested in GM-ing for. I will provide you the resources you need to do so.

FAQs
Q: Are you only doing the hardcovers?
A: Except for Season 6, I'm not using the hardcovers at all - I am using the standard AL adventures

Q: In season 7, will you be doing meat grinder, or are all seasons following up to date rules?
A: The copy of the rules I have states: "Meatgrinder mode provides no benefit for characters in D&D Adventurers League play." I am mostly using the most recent rules, except I'm still using experience/milestones for seasons 1-7 as I have not got the updated advancement/treasure rules for those

Q: I want to apply for more than one season, but am unsure of which?
A: If you want me to send more adventure background on any of the seasons I can. If you truly are stuck between multiple seasons, I'd suggest maybe rolling a dice or some similar way of picking randomly

Conclusion
If you have any questions or I have left something out or explained something in a confusing way, let me know!

Last edited by Arachobia; 01-01-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:52 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia Arachobia
Applications

Apps are still open for all seasons

Season 1 - Closed
Season 2 - 2/2 Reserve Spots Open
Season 3 - 2/2 Reserve Spots Open
Season 4- 1/2 Reserve Spots Open
Season 5 - 1/5 Spots Open
Season 6 - 2/2 Reserve Spots Open
Season 7 - 2/2 Reserve Spots Open
Season 8 - 2/2 Reserve Spots Open

Last edited by Arachobia; 04-15-2019 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:06 PM
Phil

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5445
Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil

left-aligned image
Foster Cole
Race: Human
Class: Warlock (Fiend Pact)
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Urchin

Backstory: Foster's mother Sulla Cole made a pact fifteen years ago with a devil who calls himself "Lore", though his real identity is a mystery. Sulla's wish had been to have a son; she and her husband had been trying for years for a child, with seven miscarriages. Lore kept his end of the bargain with the birth of Foster, but as with all devil's gifts, the price wasn't worth it: Sulla's husband was furious when she told him she had made the pact, and left Sulla and her infant son to fend for themselves. For the next ten years, she worked as a servant cleaning linens and chamber pots at an inn to feed herself and Foster. But when Foster turned ten, Sulla's soul came due, and Lore appeared to claim his prize. Young Foster begged the devil to release Sulla from her contract, and the devil granted his wish, on the condition he act as his agent on the mortal plane. This was, of course, Lore's plan all along. The devil empowered Foster, giving him the ability to wield a variety of spells, occasionally giving the boy ineffable commandments he must fulfill without question, or his mother's soul is forfeit. This time the devil instructed his agent to offer his services to a Harper cell, though as usual, the reasons why are a mystery.

Personality: Foster takes no pleasure in his powers, and he's always on the lookout for a way he can free himself from Lore's service without damning his mother. He tries his best to help people who need it while he's on his missions for the devil, a small way to offset whatever unknown sinister plans he's helping the devil to advance. Despite his youth, Foster has an undeniable personal magnetism, but whether that's an effect of his diabolical patronage or a natural gift remains uncertain.

Appearance: Sixteen years old, Foster is barely more than a kid; he can't grow a beard, not even a mustache. He's tall enough, but lean and lanky, his limbs long and awkward in the way a young man's are when he's just grown to his adult height and hasn't quite caught up with it yet. His dark hair and pale skin are common enough for the region, though his eyes are an odd shade of copper, almost red, and they reflect fire far more than they should. An imp called "Wordsworth" is with him at all times lately, sent by Lore to keep an eye on him, though it remains invisible or in the form of a raven when in mixed company.

Ready to go for Season 1

Last edited by Phil; 12-31-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:39 PM
Sapphire Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 511
Nikolas Nikolas Nikolas Nikolas Nikolas Nikolas
1. Are you only doing the hardcovers?

2. In season 7, will you be doing meat grinder, or are all seasons following up to date rules?

3. I'd like to apply for season 2, 3, or 7, but am indifferent as to which.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:21 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
1. Are you only doing the hardcovers?

2. In season 7, will you be doing meat grinder, or are all seasons following up to date rules?

3. I'd like to apply for season 2, 3, or 7, but am indifferent as to which.
These are good questions, so I added an FAQ section. But here's my answers to each.

Q: Are you only doing the hardcovers?
A: Except for Season 6, I'm not using the hardcovers at all - I am using the standard AL adventures

Q: In season 7, will you be doing meat grinder, or are all seasons following up to date rules?
A: The copy of the rules I have states: "Meatgrinder mode provides no benefit for characters in D&D Adventurers League play." I am mostly using the most recent rules, except I'm still using experience/milestones for seasons 1-7 as I have not got the updated advancement/treasure rules for those

Q: I want to apply for more than one season, but am unsure of which?
A: If you want me to send more adventure background on any of the seasons I can. If you truly are stuck between multiple seasons, I'd suggest maybe rolling a die or some similar way of picking randomly
Old 12-30-2018, 04:52 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 349
MIniSchnauzer MIniSchnauzer MIniSchnauzer MIniSchnauzer
Season 4

Cause Vampyres and Things that go Bump in the Dark.

Martyn
right-aligned image
Here's the new look for #4

Last edited by MIniSchnauzer; 12-31-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:01 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
I'd like to apply for season 2, 3, or 7, but am indifferent as to which.
Join me in Chult Go Season 7
Old 12-30-2018, 08:41 AM
Wazdakka: King of Flames!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2687
Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers Lord Ruthers
I would love to join season 4 please, Curse of Strahd <3

Balan the Wanderer
left-aligned image
Character name: Balan the Wanderer
Character Sheet: Clicky
Race: Dragonborn
Class: Fighter
Passive Wisdom (Perception): +1
Background: The taking of Phlan by Vorgansharax is a clear memory in your mind. You were going about your everyday business when the green dragon's forces spilled out of the sewers and assailed your home. Many of Phlan's citizens, young and old alike, were captured, killed, or offered as tribute to the Maimed Virulence. You, yourself were one of those captured. But, either with the help of adventurers or through your own wits and sheer determination, you escaped.

Rather than flee the region, you've chosen to stay and fight. Finding refuge outside the town and the deadly thicket surrounding it, you strike out against the Tears of the Virulence and their monstrous allies. You've learned to survive in dire and desperate circumstances, with supplies running low and the arrival of reinforcements uncertain. You've grown accustomed to acting under the cover of night, dealing what blows you can to avenge the friends and family you lost within the currently occupied Phlan. You will drive Vorgansharax out, or you die trying.
Phlan Insurgent
The faction your character is part of (if any): Black Fist guards (City Watch/Militia) {formerly}, Phlan Insurgents {currently}
Alignment: LG
2 Personality Traits: My patience knows no bounds, so long as my goal is in sight. Making the right choices in life are important to me. The choices I make might save not just my life, but the lives of others as well.
Ideal: Freedom: Those who are enslaved and unjustly imprisoned deserve my aid. (Good)
Bond: An item I hold close is my last remaining connection to the With GM's permission I'm thinking a comrade as Balan left his clan long ago - either the one other good/kind person from the Black Fist, or someone he became close to from the insurgencyfamily I lost during the fall.
Flaw: Being an insurgent means doing things that aren’t always ethical.I’m still learning to live with that.

A brief description of your characters appearance, personality, and history: Standing a little over 6ft tall and broad of shoulder, Balan has faded red scales which bely his Dragonborn heritage. Once a proud, taciturn and implacable warrior in the Reluctantly. I've got visions of him joining as a member of the militia to do good and serve justice but becoming disillusioned of the corruptionservice of the Black Fist Balan is scarred, physically and emotionally, by the sacking of Phlan and the tortures he endured as one of its vanquished defenders. To all outward appearances he seems inscrutable - and none now remains who know him well enough to tell - a towering figure of muscle in faded but well-maintained armour hidden beneath the shabby clothing of an insurgent, the better to blend in amongst the crowd.

Somewhat atypically for a Dragonborn Balan left his clan long ago, never finding the deep sense of loyalty, duty and belonging characteristic of his kin. Assigned to the martial orders, which continues to shape his life and skills to this day, Balan took part in the defence of the clan as a foot soldier and occasionally part of the scouting cadre; it was here that he was able to indulge his wanderlust and need for solitude, and his extended forays into the surrounding lands earned him the epithet "the Wanderer".

I think I'm more-or-less done now, with the exception of the character sheet which I have on Hero Forge and will put on here later Any GM feedback thus far please? Does it fit OK with what you have planned?

Last edited by Lord Ruthers; 12-31-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:52 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIniSchnauzer View Post
Season 7

Cause Tortles and Cannibals

Shaka
right-aligned image
I assume Feats are out since it is not one of the variant rules listed in the ALFAQ.
Actually, feats are ok. Under Advancing your character:

"Your character advances using the race and class options (including the multiclass rules, feats, spells) provided in your PHB+1. When you gain a level, use the fixed hit point value in your class entry; donít roll your hit points."

You just can only use feats from the PHB and whatever your +1 is.

Makes sense as they do allow the human variant which gives you a free feat

Old 12-30-2018, 10:36 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
https://i.gifer.com/UYIQ.gif
Old 12-30-2018, 10:49 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I'm guessing there'll be a bit more interest after new year

I will update what I got though

Old 12-30-2018, 11:05 AM
Mind Fillet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2880
CaptainRadio CaptainRadio CaptainRadio CaptainRadio CaptainRadio CaptainRadio CaptainRadio CaptainRadio CaptainRadio CaptainRadio CaptainRadio
I'll throw my hat in for Season 6. I'll work on the sheet and more development over the next few days.

Kesh
left-aligned image

Character name: Kesh
Character Sheet: Click Here
Race: Half-Orc (Female)
Class: Monk
Alignment: CG

Background Archetype: Soldier (Standard Bearer)
Personality Trait: Kesh has lost too many friends, and is slow to make new ones. She possesses a stoic bravery, able to stare down a hell-hound without flinching.
Ideal: Independence: when people follow orders or opinion blindly, they embrace a kind of tyranny.
Bond: Kesh will never forget the slaughter of her mother's tribe, or those who killed them.
Flaw: Kesh would rather eat her bedroll than admit she's wrong.

Origin Story: As a child, Kesh was rejected by her mother's orc brethren, and grew up with the human barbarian tribe her father belonged to. Kesh's mother was killed by that very tribe, and while she does not know it, she strongly suspects that her father had something to do with her mother's death. The Grey Bear Tribe of barbarians had lived without much concern for the nearby Ver'tas Orcs for sometime, but eventually a war broke out over scarce resources, and the groups clashed with massive bloodshed on both sides. Eventually, the Grey Bear Tribe had claimed victory, nearly all of the orcs, including Kesh's mother, dead on the plains.

During her time with the Grey Bear Tribe, Kesh learned the dual nature of humans, meeting some that showed her compassion, while others treated her with disdain, sometimes attacking her when backs were turned. Over time, she learned to defend herself both emotionally and physically, withdrawing into the acceptance of her circumstance and minding her reactions, letting nothing touch her heart or mind, for the evils of the world could not reach within and take that from her unless she allowed it.

Eventually, she fled after the few elder Grey Bears had died off, or been killed in raids, and the younger warriors looked upon her with malice. Finding herself more drawn to human settlements, she ended up wandering, seeking refuge where she could in exchange for work, sometimes of a questionable nature. She soon found herself enlisted as an DM: I'd like her to be involved in an existing army from your world, if possiblearmy scut, not trusted enough to do much more than mind the flags. As a standard bearer, her glaring physical differences from the rest of the human army made her an obvious target, forcing her to defend herself with her hands and feet while holding the standard aloft. Although her enlisted time was short-live, she never once let the standard fall.

Now approaching 30 years in age, and having served her enlisted time, she was discharged and returned to a more nomadic life. While she had made a few friends in the military, she knew they would either forget her, or die before they did, as friendship was a rare and temporary thing, in her world. The network of monasteries she often stayed at reinforced this, though while with them, she honed her skills as an unarmed combatant and learned to use a few martial weapons, favoring the quarterstaff. Her travels took her near Stone Tooth, where she soon found herself in Blasingdell, working as a plow hand to an unusually open-minded and informed farmer. The farmer was old, with no family that Kesh knew of, but he seemed to revel in sharing stories and wisdom with her. One day, growing evermore feeble and knowing his time was short, he shared with her a rumor of the door to Khundrukar...

Update: Added Character sheet

Last edited by CaptainRadio; 01-06-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:07 AM
Sapphire Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIniSchnauzer View Post
Join me in Chult Go Season 7
I would probably play a tortle druid there.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:38 AM
Sapphire Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Are we able to choose a common magic item from Xanathar's? It's an AL legal thing.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:53 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5091
McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin McQuiggin
I'm in! This is my first go at the Adventures' League. I would like to start in Season 1. I will have a character up later today.

~Oath of Sangus~