Game Thread Interlude: Time to Unwind - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > The Most Dangerous Game > Lucid Dreamers
twitter facebook
0 7 4 0
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old 02-17-2019, 06:20 AM
???%

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14610
AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli
Interlude: Time to Unwind

16-FEB-2080 08:53, Stuffer ShackThe orange and yellow-toting elf that had breezed in to drop a cryptic warning about a fairly consistent employer had been bizarre, creepy, and altogether unsettling, but that wasn't a reason to stay cooped up for two weeks straight. And on top of that, both wielders of the mystic arts and engineered killing machines had to eat. It was this motivator that saw both Empyrean and Zero in the crowded, Aztechnology-owned franchise on the north side of town.

It was early enough on a pleasant morning that the store was almost busy; the dwarf that was comparing the ingredients of two different dried noodle packages kept almost getting tripped over by long-legged humans too intent on whatever it was they wanted to purchase, and the severe-looking human woman kept having to growl to get people to move out of her way as she prowled the floor-to-ceiling fridges full of beverages. Neither had quite placed the other but they looked familiar enough - runners tended to recognize other runners, if only by the way they didn't quite relax. It was this constant sense of caution that came in handy on and off the job though, as it put those two as the only ones to notice an ork trying to move down the snack aisle sneakily, hand in one pocket and holding on to something.

More pressing for Zero, the ork seemed to be making a direct line towards her, and seemed to be totally unaware that the not-quite-killbot was staring directly at his reflection in the refrigerator.

16-FEB-2080 14:35, A Quite Nice ApartmentMost days had Criti-Gal starting the day off with some practice matches - you didn't stay at the top of the charts or win tournaments by slacking off. Unfortunately, now in the early morning, Criti-Gal was feeling that something was... off. She was on her couch, her Persona seated in a pretty intense cockpit-style chair in the host she shared with Seishin, and it wasn't that she felt that she was in danger, but....

Worse still, even Seishin was feeling a little off. In fact, both women were being thrown off their game due to just the faint sense of unease that permeated their apartment. Seishin had already checked and there wasn't anybody inside the apartment, nothing outside in the hall, but the sense that something was amiss was greater than that. In fact, everything in the apartment seemed exactly the same as it had been yesterday, but it was all... off. It was exactly je ne sais quoi but in a way that burrowed under skin or fingernails and stayed there.

16-FEB-2080 21:08, Dark AlleyRunning into a work colleague outside of work was always a little awkward, but when the most and least talkative members of a team do it, the awkwardness is only compounded. Worse still, Gridlock and Mari had run into each other not walking in opposite directions on the street, but instead in an alley later at night, in central Seattle, both waiting to meet with the same person. One Mister Bones, who was about fifteen minutes late for his appointment with Gridlock when Mari arrived.

Mister Bones was about as sketchy as they came, by all accounts, but at the same time, he was be able to point you towards whatever you needed. So the matrix adverts said, anyway. He was Gridlock's last hope at finding a jacket so magnificently swag as the one that kept him up at night, and so the rigger had arranged a meeting. Simultaneously, Mari was hoping to get pointed in the direction of her next big upgrade, and that would be needlessly expensive if she bought it through semi-legitimate avenues. However, if it was taken through very not legitimate avenues, such as a five finger discount of the largest magnitude, then it'd be much more reasonable. Or, at least as reasonable as convincing the rest of the team to take a dangerous job.

Now, though, their respective cats were out of their respective bags, and worse yet, the dark Seattle sky began lightly spitting down raindrops onto the two. The door to Mister Bones' meeting place was still locked, but it had a small roof, just enough for one person to squeeze their way out of the cold February shower. But either way, the awkwardness was growing unmanageable.

OOC

Why yes, Empyrean also got a creepy mysterious message that matched the one the other runners received.

Last edited by AwesomeEli; 02-18-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:43 AM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5173
Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H Code H
The WeeksSo the run was over, the funds were safely received. Maybe he managed to convince some of the others to come over to his place for the after party. Maybe he didn't. Either way it seemed he at least certainly had a party, because he couldn't remember.

Then he woke up in his big empty house, quiet and alone. His drones hadn't even been scratched in the run so there were no repairs to keep him busy or distract him from the silence in his place. In his head. He'd fired only a handful of bullets, it hardly even seemed worth it to pull out the belts and the drums just to drop in half a dozen extra shots. To his annoyance, he wandered down to his cavernous over-sized garage and shop to find his service drone had automatically managed to finish most of the basic maintenance.

He wandered the many empty rooms of his quiet house for a while. Empty spa. Empty bar. Empty sitting room. Empty lounge. So he turned to his commlink for something to do.

"Hey Dealership... So I know you're out of town at that place for that stuff with the thing... But, uh, I got some fresh nuyen burning holes in my credstick and could use to pick up some new bling. So, uh, let me know when you're back in town okay?" He watched his silent motionless commlink for a while with a frown.

"Hey Brex... I know you have like a job job, and are, like at work or something during the day... But I think we should hit the town when you quit or leave, however that works. Just, call me when you're up for stuff or whatever."

"Hey... Hey Emmie... he scratched his neck. "Soooo... I know you didn't want me to call or whatever, like how you said 'you'd strangle me with my own small intestines if I kept calling you'... Ha ha... Good joke... So... Anyway, uh, think you'd have any work? I could like, get the whole crew. Or if it is something just for my skills. Like I could... like secretly drive some Elven Princess across the continent under the radar. Or like, smuggle something... or deliver pizza... Okay bye..."

He fell back on his over-sized empty bed, staring at the ceiling. He checked his commlink. No messages. Examine the ceiling fan. Check messages. The plaster molding. No messages. Ceiling. Commlink.

He sat up with realization. Crit-gal! This was something she could do right? She did like, Trid Games. So she couldn't possibly be busy. There was like a pause button. He quickly called her up.

"Hey Crit-gal! So look, my drone guy is out of town... And I wasn't really doing anything. You're good at like, calling people and talking and stuff, with money right? You could come over, we could make a day of it." he scratched at his neck again, looking around his expansive room. "I've got a new wall scale holo-display that needs breaking in. Uh, drinks, whatever. I'll order in some pizza or something."

And Then SuddenlyEven the distraction of buying new toys and tinkering them up to get them just the way he liked them wasn't near enough to keep him occupied through the whole two weeks.

So when he finally got through to good old Bonesy, he almost jumped out of his skin in excitement. Sketchy wasn't a problem. Sketchy was good. Sketchy was something interesting. Something to break up the endless echoing silence.

And then Mari happened to show up. "Hey!" Gridlock cheered, waving cheerfully at her, nowhere near the downlow more usual from regular runners. There he was standing in the rain, dressed up in a fancy suit, shiny RCC hanging casually from one hand. He wasn't concerned about being in a rough part of town, he had a van full of ready to go gun packing drones parked behind him.

"How's it going?" he asked. He tapped the door again. "No answer yet, want to stand out here in the rain or wait in the van?"

It was no longer done up in the gaudy Squire paint scheme. He'd repainted it twice in the last few days. He'd tried to do flames. It didn't quite turn out this time. And by the fifteenth day, he'd been looking for anything to do. So now it was orange with the slightest burgundy racing stripe down the side.

Last edited by Code H; 02-18-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:59 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6624
Gox Gox Gox Gox Gox Gox Gox Gox Gox Gox Gox
Mari OnetteMari only owned three outfits, and her colleagues had only ever seen her wear one of those. That streak remained unbroken, as she had arrived in her business casual. A dark, reinforced jacket and long pants, heavy boots. She only nodded at Gridlock's greeting, the movement sluggish and ugly, and moved to stand beside him.

"Nice paint," she said, eyes flickering to the vehicle. "I am well. We can wait. The rain...." Mari's eyes rolled up into the back of her head as she downloaded a very impressive amount of meteorological knowledge, enough to cost through a degree program. Her eyes rolled back down. "...will stop in four minutes, before resuming eleven minutes after that."

Mari stood, and half a minute crawled by before she shifted once more, an index finger tapping against the triggerless revolver at her hip. "I... apologize. I do not talk much. How have you been? What brings you here?" Conversation, like how other people had them, was difficult. Not something Mari was trained in or used to, and since she had her upgrades put in years ago, casual conversation had only further decreased. Even now, the odd spasm flowed through her body, but it was nothing like how it was on the job. She could still talk without potentially biting her tongue off.

In fact, her last two weeks had been spent mostly in silence. She had requested for Criti-Gal to purchase an activesoft for her, and she had begun to track down this lead on cyberware that would greatly help her efficiency in the field. She had also been practicing with her guns. She relied on her activesofts, but that had limits, at times.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:54 PM
Non Paradisi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2283
Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen
Zero
right-aligned image
Zero had an extremely low tolerance for people trying to sneak up on her, especially when they did it so poorly. Usually such an offense would have been met with overwhelming force. The fact they were in the middle of a Stuffer Shack would not have slowed her one bit. However, the fact this ork was failing in such a cartoonish fashion gave her a moment’s pause. Was someone playing a cruel prank on him? Did he not recognize the monster he had foolishly poked with a stick? Surely by now everyone recognized the dangerous woman in the bomber jacket? Zero needed to know what exactly was going on here.

That – and that only – was what kept her from drawing her blade decapitating the man in the middle of the store. Zero couldn’t believe the ork would attempt such a feat of his own volition while so woefully unprepared. If someone had put him up to this, she wanted to know who. For an instant she considered the possibility that this was just another ganger attempting to gain some rep by testing her. That made her slightly frown. At first that had been fun, but she quickly found they weren’t worth her time and it mostly became annoying. How long would it take before they realized she would pass that test every time?

Zero grunted quietly to herself as she moved to proceed; the only thing certain being that one of them was not walking away unscathed. Without any pomp and circumstance, she turned and began walking over to the ork as if there was no cause for concern. The speed at which she closed the distance while only walking should have been concerning for the ork though… For now, she only wanted to restrain the man while she got a few answers. He was about to discover she much stronger than she appeared.

“Hello there.”

ActionsAttempting to subdue the ork. Also, I'm pushing the limits with a point of edge, because "extremely low tolerance". For this to work RAW in addition to hitting him with the unarmed attack I have to exceed his physical limit with my strength +net hits.

Subdue Attempt:
Dice * Unarmed Attack + Push the Limit:
14d6smch5 5 ✔, 4 ✘, 1 ✘, 6 ✔, 6 ✔, 3 ✘, 3 ✘, 3 ✘, 1 ✘, 1 ✘, 4 ✘, 5 ✔, 2 ✘, 5 ✔ (5/14) 2⇑ 3⇓ Total = 49
5d6smch5 2 ✘, 4 ✘, 3 ✘, 1 ✘, 4 ✘ (0/5) 0⇑ 1⇓ Total = 14
Old 02-21-2019, 10:04 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6081
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Empyrean
right-aligned image
She has a stylish coat on, but you get the idea
Instant noodles. Empyrean hated them. But this is what the Stuffer Shack put on the lower levels of their insanely tall shelves, noodle bowls and tampons.The association made her nauseous and she tossed the paper boxes back on the shelf. Even after 50 years it was embarassing to ask for help, and now it made her feel like a grandmother to do it.Excuse me dear, could you reach that? Empyrean hissed through her teeth.

She got out of her hotel room to stretch her legs and give things a little time to cool off. Her room looked like a magical bomb had gone off in the astral the prior day and even though she had taken the time to clean it up, Empyrean didn't know if her activities might have scared up some bored law enforcement or something worse. Normally she wouldn't sweat it, but that damn elf and his weird warning was an omen the Romani couldn't shake. She missed room service though and thought about going back. She looked up to see the ork stalking down the aisle toward the runner she noticed earlier. Dumbass. He looked like one of those weaselly kids they hire to serve papers or repo your car. But something in her gut told her a subpoena wasn't in that pocket. She didn't really have time to consider what to do about that gut feeling. A slight whoosh of air left the mild scent of the blonde woman as she strode casually past her and engaged the idiot only a meter or so from where she stood. The ork was big, they all were big, but she dismantled him like he was a little kid. Empyrean was short a team as of late, and she decided immediately that she couldn't do much better than this woman with the end of a katana swept casually behind her. So even though it wasn't needed, Empyrean decided to help if only to show her own worth. Rep sometimes needed a helping hand.

She let out a long, slowly descending whistle of impressed approval to draw both of their attentions. "Daaamn! What have you got yourself into, boy?" She lifted her middle finger to her eye and pulled down the lower lid. The words reached out like a solid force rattling the doubt already in his mind and turning it into hopeless dread.

She walked off towards the exit shaking her head. To the runner, she said over her shoulder, "I'll check the front."

ActionsCasting F5 Evil Eye on the ork. He resists with Willpower. Reduce his Initiative by 1/ net hit. Going for a 0 initiative so Zero can further dismantle him. Then moving toward the front door.
Dice Cast F5 Evil Eye:
20d6smch5 3 ✘, 5 ✔, 6 ✔, 1 ✘, 6 ✔, 2 ✘, 3 ✘, 3 ✘, 1 ✘, 1 ✘, 2 ✘, 2 ✘, 1 ✘, 6 ✔, 2 ✘, 3 ✘, 6 ✔, 4 ✘, 3 ✘, 3 ✘ (5/20) 4⇑ 4⇓ Total = 63
Dice 2 drain resist:
16d6smch5 1 ✘, 1 ✘, 3 ✘, 4 ✘, 3 ✘, 3 ✘, 2 ✘, 5 ✔, 3 ✘, 2 ✘, 4 ✘, 4 ✘, 1 ✘, 2 ✘, 3 ✘, 6 ✔ (2/16) 1⇑ 3⇓ Total = 47

The day beforeAliya sat in the fancy upholstered chair of her hotel suite idly spinning a knife on the glass table next to her. It had come in the package at her feet, nestled in a load of reagents that Vlad had found for her. The magical weapon was bound to her now, but it was only providing a nervous distraction. Her real focus was on the spirit standing at the window, looking out on the downtown Seattle buildings. After a couple if attempts at the wee hours of the morning, Rebecca was called into service from her place beyond. She was powerful, terrifyingly so at least for the task at hand. Aliya intended to bind her.

The elf in the cowboy boots had come a week before. Appearing next to her on the park bench like he had been there all along and launching into a conversation as if they were in the middle of one. A bad omen he was. Or a bringer if bad news. He had the feeling of her mentor spirit, gliding in like he did with a mysterious warning. But the elf was something different, and ever since, Aliya had been expecting the worst. So she needed an ally or two. Rebecca was the first.

The dwarf bent down and pulled incense from the box and set it up on the table. Blessed and purified water came out as well and sage. "Shall we begin?" Aliya asked. Rebecca turned to her and smiled. The Spirit of Man could have easily transformed into her greatest fear or crushed her windpipe like an aluminum can had she been free, but instead the summoned friend walked over and sat across from her. "Sure," Rebecca said, crossing materialized legs under a flowing skirt, "Let's."

Last edited by UngainlyFool; 02-21-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:52 PM
Non Paradisi

Tools
User Statistics
Zero
right-aligned image
Zero slipped the hold in smooth as melted butter and before the ork had a chance to register what had just transpired he found himself thoroughly stuck. He was probably better of not being able to see his assailant for the dangerous woman bore a wicked grin that would have threatened to evacuate his bowels. He didn't know that she did not see him as a person and more a walking bag of meat to be destroyed. Already she was applying more pressure to his neck, the augmented muscles in her forearm bulging obscenely. Her father had done good job disguising the peril she presented after her "ascension".

"You have one chance to decide how badly this ends for you. Who put you up to this?" asked Zero, her threat not sounding particularly intimidating. She tended to state things as a matter of fact instead of adding inflections to her voice that hinted at unsaid dangers. There had been quite a few who found this method to be more terrifying.

Indeed, the severe woman preferred to speak with her actions. And so she squeezed even harder. Hard enough she risked crushing his throat outright rather than cutting off the blood and oxygen to his brain like the hold was intended to do. It was clear she held no qualms about killing the ork here in the middle of the store. Yes, even if the ork wanted to cooperate he was going to have to display some effort and there wasn't much time for that. Zero didn't mind sniffing out potential foes on her own.

ActionsUsing my two remaining passes to increase my grip and inflict some stun damage. The damage is 7S and requires no test, but he gets to resist the damage as normal. Armor applies.

Increase Grip:
Dice Unarmed Combat + Superior Position:
16d6smch5 1 ✘, 5 ✔, 2 ✘, 2 ✘, 2 ✘, 1 ✘, 1 ✘, 6 ✔, 2 ✘, 6 ✔, 4 ✘, 2 ✘, 5 ✔, 5 ✔, 4 ✘, 6 ✔ (6/16) 3⇑ 3⇓ Total = 54

Old 03-04-2019, 08:07 AM
???%

Tools
User Statistics
AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli AwesomeEli
16-FEB-2080 08:53, Stuffer ShackA glance out the front showed Empyrean that the attacker was working all on his own - no backup was coming, and even the bystanders only backed away from the kerfuffle. No help was coming for the ork, even as Zero's arms tightened down on the would-be assailant, even as he started to turn an ugly, oxygen-deprived shade of purple as Zero began to throttle him.

Unfortunately, his throat being crushed in was really hindering his ability to cooperate. One hand came up, trying to pull at the forearm that was busy cutting his air off, and the other was slapping at Zero's shoulder, about the closest he could get to tapping out and showing his surrender. The shock baton that had been in his pocket had tumbled out in his panic, and had gotten kicked away, along with a bunch of bags of pet food that a stray flying foot had caught.

Assuming Zero gives him the barest bit of breathing room, the ork managed to rasp out, "Disassemblers", before starting to sputter and strain against the choke once more. He was... not looking so great, all things considered....

16-FEB-2080 21:08, Dark AlleyThe uncomfortable quiet dragged on, scraping its silent talons against a metaphorical chalkboard. It was so bad that, on time with Mari's prediction, the rain slid away, no longer able to bear the awkwardness. Even a devil rat, a bit one almost two feet long and its naked skin hanging loose off its bones, wriggled out from underneath a nearby dumpster before fleeing down the alley, away from the two people looking at each other.

Or, well, more likely because the rain had stopped and it could go to its next piece of cover before the omnipresent wetness of Seattle returned in force. But that's not really how it felt.

It was only as the rain was settling back down over the alley, having made a triumphant surge down onto the city, that the door cracked open. A small robot, maybe two feet on a side with a square, treaded base, pulled the door open with an arm before a voice blasted over the speaker. "Oh, two o' yeh? Well, uh, who wan's to talk first?" the voice said, apparently at a loss for having such a busy night.

The drone wheeled back slightly, swinging the door open and revealing a mostly empty room that was cavernous but at the same time, cluttered - empty wood-pulp pallattes were strewn about, not obstructing any sight lines to the two doors on the opposite side of the large room but still making it feel messy.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:03 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
EmpyreanEmpyrean swept her eyes around outside and, finding nothing, turned back to look down the row at the ever purpling ork head. She looked over at the front counter and the cashier and yelled out a little too loud, "This sort of thing wouldn't happen in your drek stores if you made the shelves a NORMAL HEIGHT!" She walked back calmly to the all but silent scuffle in time to hear the choked word issue from the ganger. Bending down slowly, and not very far, Empyrean picked up the dropped stun baton and flicked the manual switch on and off with the satisfying pop-sizzle of electricity.

"Bless your heart. And you were coming at this girl with this little thing?" she asked the ork incredulously with a follow up to the blonde psycho, "He a'int got no friends. Not here anyway." The ork really started looking bad then and she took a step back. "Hey, let me get a bit away before you pop this fool's head off. Come find me outside when you're done, okay?" She backed away a few more steps giving the sam an Assensing auras 6hits on Zero, 5hits on gangerappraising look and turned to walk out of the store.

It was difficult to see past the orange-green spiking fear radiating from the ork. He was just a guy, nothing to his aura but a feeling of panic, not even a datajack. For a mundane, that was curious, weird even but Empyean didn't dwell on that. Satisfied that he wasn't a living bomb, she focused her third eye on the runner. She was something different. Perhaps it was the dwarf's recent communing with spirits that had her so attuned to the astral auras of these two. Whatever it was, she could see it all. The runner's form was the featureless reflection of her soul in the astral. But even within the mannequined ego-body, Empyrean could make out the exact nature of what she had done (or what had been done to her) to achieve the proficiency she possessed. Her skin was empty, like another layer of dead armor, her skeleton like black smoke. The flesh of her body was hollow like murky water. Her eyes were dead sockets. Those and the datajack were easy to spot as so many people had then and Empyrean had years to refine her skill in reading them. But what was most remarkable was the emotion coming from her. Even a hardened mercenary might have a level of annoyance or anger. But the pure blue field about her was unburdened by such things. This samurai was enjoying herself without another care in the world. Had the emotion not interacted with her own on the astral, rubbing off a bit of contentment onto her own natural worry, Empyrean might have has a shiver in reading that psychotic mindset.

Her mind went to suppressing the flare of her spell in the astral, pushing the form of it into the background noise. Soon, there was nothing left to show she had been there at all.

Last edited by UngainlyFool; 03-04-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:43 PM
Non Paradisi

Tools
User Statistics
Zero
right-aligned image
The wheels were turning now and Zero had to do a slow double take to ensure this dwarf was indeed addressing her. Interesting. Most people tended to avoid bouts of real violence. The kind where there was more at stake than someone taking a beating. She would have to see what that was about after this situation was dealt with. Turning her attention back towards her victim she made a quick series of decisions, primarily being to insert herself into the lives of whoever these 'Disassemblers' were composed of. Zero didn't realize it but she was sporting quite the manic smile now.

"Alright, that’s enough out of you," said Zero as she finished choking the ork unconscious. She let him fall without any regards to how his head or body struck the linoleum floor. Instead she was busy slipping the cheap commlink she carried out of her pocket. She had a faint notion of who the Disassemblers were, but her old Halloweener pal, Jonny, would likely know more. Well, he was more of a free-roaming hostage, but still. They were friendly enough.

"Jonny Bones. It’s me. I need everything you know about a crew of small timers. Call themselves the Disassemblers. They've made it clear they would like me to pay them a visit," she said, confident he would get the implication.

Zero walked and talked as he filled her in, gathering the rest of the groceries she had come to purchase in the first place. She seemed very nonchalant about the whole ordeal. It was likely her heart rate hadn't even gotten a rise, but who could say if it ever did? As the clerk rang her up she gave them an inscrutable look, her usual vacant expression having returned.

Once she made her way back outside she looked for the woman from earlier. The one who had deigned to provide all the color commentary. There was something curious about the dwarf. That familiar air of someone who knew how to handle themselves. Zero’s eyes fell on her in appraising manner, but didn’t quite know what to make of the stranger.

“Enjoy the show, zwerg? I usually charge for that sort of thing,” Zero said teasingly, “Not squeamish though I see. Professionals usually aren’t though, are they? You are a pro- right? I’ve got a sixth sense about these things. I’m sure we haven’t met either… Did you want to help me terrorize some gangers? It will be easier if I don’t have to focus on the ones fleeing.”

The longer Zero talked the more likely it was for an idea to get away from her. She wasn’t exactly bundled tight. In moments like these though she didn’t exactly sound manic, which might have been more unsettling to some as her expression was blank as ever.

“I’m Gretchen, by the way. Would you believe I just figured that out like two years ago?”

Old 03-07-2019, 03:24 PM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
Gridlock grinned over at Mari. He leaned up against the wall and smiled, glancing over at his parked truck. "Oh, this old thing? It's just something I threw on. But thanks!"

He shrugged at her apology though. "Oh it's no bother." he leaned in, laying a hand on his chest. "You want to know the secret to small talk? Pretend like you have no idea what is going on and act like you don't flying care." he threw his hand away with a bit of a flourish.

"I'm just here trying to be fashionable." he replied, dusting absently at his coat, before huddling into the wall to shelter from the rain.

His grin returned only wider when they were greeted by the little armed drone. If matters weren't pressing, Gridlock wasn't too good to be thoroughly distracted. He crouched down by the done, it now consuming far more of his attention than the man on the other end. He examined it, practically disassembling it with his eyes. "Is this the model three or the model four? I have an old gen two back at my place myself."

It slowly occurred to him the voice on the other end asked who was going to go first. Gridlock glanced up to Mari, still crouched by the little service drone. "Ladies first?" he asked, looking back to the little robotic toy before him, that would be able to entertain him a bit anyway. He fingered at the screwdriver in his pocket, examining the drone to try and see any bind-spots, if it so struck him to take his disassembly of the thing up to the next level. Just wanting to poke around a bit of course nothing more.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:21 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
EmpyreanEmpyrean didn't react to the zwerg label. She had been called worse in her life and usually not for her metahumanity. Even if she didn't know a little German from her years at the Zentralrat, she knew the word for dwarf in most languages and the insults that came with them. But this was likely not even an insult. There was something weird about the blonde girl as she spoke. Something lacking.

She looked up at her and let her finish, thankful but unsurprised when Gretchen didn't attempt a handshake. She remembered her astral image and nodded, "Yeah, girl. I can believe it. I'm Empyrean."

Emp considered her next words carefully, the wisdom that comes with age keeping her from spouting off her first thought. "Yeah, we run in the same circles. That's what I wanted to talk to you about. I ain't got a team at the moment and there is some weird energy in the air as of late, savvy? Listen, I'd love to help you. I get revenge. Tit for tat is what gets us up in the morning sometimes, klar? But that ganger came at you with this." She handed the stun baton over to the Mensch. "He wanted to take you. Now I don't know what "Disassemblers" are, just some little gang around here. But he doesn't disassemble code, chummer. He didn't even have a datajack. You, however... You sure you want to march that pretty, expensive body down to the people who wanted it in the first place?"

She looked back in the Stuffer Shack realizing with hunger that she had abandoned her shopping. Turning back to Zero, she said, "If you have a spot on your team, I'll do you this solid. This ain't my style though, just so you know. Ich bevorzuge zahlener Arbeit." Her accent in German was as heavy as it was in English, definitely southern UCAS.

Last edited by UngainlyFool; 03-08-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:43 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6624
Gox Gox Gox Gox Gox Gox Gox Gox Gox Gox Gox
Mari OnetteMari frowned, severely. "Not knowing what is going on is fatal." Mari didn't look that old, maybe because she wasn't, objectively. But her words were heavy with the weight of having seen a lot of drek, of bring in it up to her waist and pushing through. It's what she did, what everyone from the CZ had done really. Even if that meant allying with bugs or harvesting corps. When you grew up with the friendliest people on the block being ghouls, who had a vested interest in letting you catch a bullet to make for a guilt-free snack, you stuck to what you learned and didn't take to strange lessons from strange men too readily.

Not that Gridlock was the 'strange' that she had been warned about, but he was strange nonetheless. Course, if she thought about it too much, she might realize that she was one of the strange ones too. And that'd just be unhealthy.

But when the drone appeared, and Gridlock volunteered her, she did shoot him a look. And then, pointedly, swept her gaze down and up his scrawny, city-coddled frame. After the inspection, she looked further down the alley to where that rat had been hiding itself, and where it had no doubt gone to gather its friends to return, for fresh food that was, by and large, unable to defend itself directly. She turned around and addressed the drone, "We can go in together. My request is not sensitive enough to hide. And if his is, I can step out of the room."

Better than leaving an ally to become some awakened rodents' lunch.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:06 PM
Dapper Jelly

Tools
User Statistics
Gridlock flashed a grin back at Mari, teasingly tapping at the side of his nose. "And that's why I said, pretend you don't know." He waved his finger at her, smiling wider, like he'd just given her a great piece of advice. He would be happy to be one of the 'strange' ones. They had more fun.

Gridlock was a little surprised as she shot him a look. He put a hand on his chest, slightly hurt, and eyes wide mouth open. But eventually he reluctantly nodded when he thought about how it might have sounded. Gridlock wasn't one to assume danger... around the corner, or anywhere really. He'd offered her up first with genuine grace to let her go ahead, certainly not intending to send her in to danger.

He smiled happily as she invited him. "Oh, but of course." He hopped up to his feet, offering her his arm if she wanted to link up, like they were going to skip in like some old Hollywood flat vid. So the little door opening service drone escaped his prying eyes and possibly prying fingers and flathead screwdrivers for now. He wiggled a teasing finger at the belly of the robot pigeon stilling on his shoulder, letting her know he was armed, at least a little, in case anything went badly south. He'd probably gladly admit he was one of the strange ones.

"Nothing sensitive on my end either. So long as you won't go sharing my measurements!"

Last edited by Code H; 03-13-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:51 PM
Non Paradisi

Tools
User Statistics
Zero
right-aligned image
For the most part Zero appeared to be pretty apathetic to Empyrean's concerns. The fact she had offered up her real name was a huge sign she took her own safety lightly. She didn't appear to be worried about the dangers she faced on a regular basis in general. Why should she when it was so clear she was the most dangerous thing around? But she could see that the zwerg was genuinely put-off by the idea of putting down a few gangers. What would be the normal thing to do in this situation?

"Fine. I get it if you're scared." No, that wasn't right. Try again. "What I mean is applying some legwork first probably wouldn't hurt. Although... if you're going to run with me you should probably know I'm not the type who does things by half measures.

"If someone reveals themselves to be an enemy I neutralize them. Forever. These 'Disassemblers' wouldn't be the first ones after my 'expensive bod', and I doubt they'll be the last," said Zero motioning to herself. with a grin.

After waking up in that vat Zero had learned quickly that if you gave someone an inch they would inevitably take a mile. So now she gave nothing.

"No worries though. Its my problem and I'll deal with it... I was just offering a good time. You wanted to meet the rest of the crew right? They're going to be so excited..."

Old 03-25-2019, 06:46 PM
???%

Tools
User Statistics
16-FEB-2080 08:53, Stuffer ShackThe unconscious ork's body shifted, bumping into the shelf and sending several cans of soyBeets by Dre, and it was this commotion that had the two runners looking up to notice the other customers. Everyone had moved a bit further away, but more than a few commlinks were up, crappy cameras waiting to catch what must assuredly be the imminent fight between a jacked up human and an otherwise normal-ish looking dwarf.

Of course, the crowd was deflating by the time that they were noticed - if Zero was going to turn Empyrean into a living basketball, it probably would have happened, either immediately or after the handshake was denied. After all, the human was utterly bizarre, even going so far to have gathered up groceries in spite of the fight, making a call. That and the burgeoning... partnership? Camaraderie? between the human and dwarf was just too much weirdness for some, who were starting to inch for the door to get out of dodge, some leaving their items behind and others inadvertently beginning their life of shoplifting.

Unfortunately, the permanently jaunty Jonny Bones' response, while tinged with more seriousness than usual, "Ha, the Disassemblers, eh? Check the one that went after you - if he's 'wared to the gills, pricey drek, he's a Slab. Grab the grenades, and any gear that looks particularly nice. Maybe an arm. If's not filled up, probably a Butcher Boy. An initiate, of sorts." Which, if Empyrean's assensing was accurate, solidly placed this fellow in the latter category.

"As for where they're hanging out now, I'm not so sure. They move around, and keep things pretty quiet normally. But if you're going after them, be careful. They handle a lot of business that's semi-legal, for big customers. Not all of it's hawking used chips yanked out of bodies. And there's always more of them then you'd think, quiet drek-drinkers." Jonny let out a peal of laughter, harsh when mixed with the faint sound of something burning from his end of the call. "Get back to you when I find some details, love? Might take a bit - we've got a thingy planned, and it'll likely take some of m' attention." After he gets an agreement, he hangs up, to better focus on tracking down that information, or maybe on his 'thingy' he had planned.

16-FEB-2080 21:08, Dark WarehouseIt was hard to read the little drone, but after a moment it swiveled in place slightly and trundled onward, around the obstacles in its way. In some ways, it reminded Gridlock of the training areas that search and rescue riggers practiced in, a smattering of all sorts of thing for a rigger to pick their way though.

Of course, typically that kind of thing was done with a drone a little more... robust? New? Functional?

The drone was also small and its pilot was evidently unwilling to try and go over any of the debris, which made the vehicle's progress towards the other door painfully slow for anyone willing to step up on or even over the stuff in the way. But the maze of stuff was one known quite well, apparently - even though the drone wasn't tall enough to see over the low piles of things, it didn't make a wrong turn once, only ever approaching the door.

Finally, finally, the door was reached, and the primitive arm reached up and yanked open the door with a jerky twitch, swinging it open and waiting for the two humans to enter, so that it could close the door behind them. This room was much smaller, much more cluttered, and just as occupied with a shoddy, scrap-repaired drone. This one, however, was a small, emaciated anthrodrone that had a pilot jumped in, sitting on a crappy folding chair, slumped back and fiddling with an AR control display, presumably of the drone that just showed you in. The hollow panels on the drone seem to have been removed or torn off, leaving the drone with large segments of exposed wires, hydraulics, and metal struts exposed.

Mister Bones earned his name, at the very least. A hand came up, cloaked in the image of a skeleton persona, and a finger sagged back and forth between the two meat-humans. "Eeny, meany, miny-" the finger stopped on Gridlock, and the ugly hand gestured him forward. "Yer lookin for something, so. What's it? Everyone's lookin', I migh' be able to help."

OOCIt's only now that I realize I had named this one shot NPC of Mari and Gridlock's, Mister Bones. Whether he is related at all to Jonny Bones, or is potentially THE Jonny Bones himself, is currently not known to the PCs.