RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 03-09-2018, 07:41 AM
Natural 20 ;)

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4784
Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master
Out of the Abyss

Applications are closed!
Game NameOut of the Abyss
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeUnderdark, Wonderland, Demons, Drow, Forgotten Realms
FlavourGritty, Survival, Sandbox, Intrigue
Plot Summary
Out of the Abyss

Deep beneath the surface of the world lies the Underdark, a realm of endless labyrinthine tunnels and caverns where the sun never shines. The Underdark is filled with races and creatures too numerous to count or list, and foremost among these are the dark elves — the drow. Hated and feared even by their fellow dwellers in darkness, the drow raid other settlements in the Underdark as well as the surface world, taking prisoners back with them. Rendered unconscious with drow poison, then collared and shackled, these prisoners are eventually sold as slaves or entertainment in the dark elves’ subterranean cities.

You have all had the misfortune of falling to such a fate. Captured by the drow, you are prisoners at one of the dark elves’ outposts, awaiting transportation to Menzoberranzan, the City of Spiders. Whether you came into the Underdark seeking knowledge or fortune, or were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, you were ripe prey for a drow raid.

The characters' goal in the first chapter of this adventure is straightforward: escape from the drow outpost of Velkynvelve, with an eye toward escaping from the Underdark. However, this goal is complicated by the adventurers' lack of familiarity with their surroundings. Even if the prisoners can get away from the drow, where will they go and how will they survive?
Game InformationDeadline: 25 March 2018, 4:00 p.m. UTC
Party Size: 6
Posting Rate: 5/week
Sources: PHB, SCAG, VGTM, XGTE
Starting Level: 1
Ability Scores: 27 points
House Rules

ApplicationName: The name of your character.
Race: Uncommon racial choices should at least be backed up by a good back-story.
Alignment: Non-evil alignments are preferred.
Patron Deity: The patron deity of your character.
Class: Please include the class option you like to take (e.g., Nature Domain, Eldritch Knight, or College of Lore).
Background: Either a published background or a custom one.
Personality Traits: Two traits, chosen among those published or your own.
Ideal: Either a published ideal or your own creation.
Bond: Either a published bond or your own creation.
Flaw: Either a published flaw or your own creation.
Appearance: Describe the appearance of your character. Supplementary pictures are appreciated.
Personality: Describe the personality of your character.
Motivation: Describe what motivates your character.
History: Describe the character's back-story.
Role-Playing Sample: What was your character doing before being captured by the drow?
What I expect from my playersIf you want to apply, please read this game advertisement carefully and make sure you have understood everything. If not, feel free to ask. Note that you are expected to be a nice person (or at least behave as one) if you apply for this campaign. This includes that you will give us notice should you ever be forced to drop out of the campaign.

Out of the Abyss is a huge campaign for characters from level 1 to level 15. This means that the campaign is expected to last many years in real time until your heroes will finally be victorious. So don't apply if you don't expect that you can keep it rolling for many years to come. Also, don't apply if you think you cannot cope with the expected posting rate of 5/week. Of course, we can and will work around temporary absences due to vacation or illness.

While there will be combat (it is D&D, after all), role-playing will be at least as important. Characters shall be more than two-dimensional. Use the opportunity and explore your character by interacting heavily with the other characters and NPCs, of which there will be a lot. Players shall role-play their characters in a way that is beneficial to the story and to the overall fun (e.g., a rogue character that regularly picks purses is perfectly possible; the same character that constantly picks the purses of the other characters probably less so).

I expect that my players have a good knowledge of English grammar and spelling rules, and know how to format their posts nicely. Given the expected posting rate, not all your posts have to be several-paragraph masterpieces. If a particular scene is fast-paced, short posts are fine if they move the scene forward.
What you can expect from meRunning a campaign means to me that my players have fun. Of course, this does not mean that there won't be deadly encounters or that there won't be any adverse situations, in which you will find your character. However, I can promise you that you will be victorious at the end of the day.

Should your character be so unfortunate and die, the gods will find a way to resurrect your character if you still want to play this character.

I have been a DM for many games since about 2000; however, the rules of D&D form a complex system; while I will do my best to adhere to the rules, I will make mistakes. Simply approach me if you think I have made a mistake.
FAQDo I have to include a finished character sheet in my application?
No, a character sheet is not needed before your application has been accepted.

Do I have to roll any dice in this thread?
No rolls are needed, and you are actually forbidden to use the dice roller in this thread.

I have already played or read the game. Can I still apply?
Yes, just keep player and character knowledge separate.

Can I have a review of my application?
Certainly, feel free to request a review.

Can I play the revised ranger from UA?
No, please stick to the source material allowed above. I just don't want to open another can by allowing UA material on a case-by-case basis.

There are already more applications than slots. How can I improve my chances to be accepted?
It certainly helps to follow the application requirements. If there are already five fighters applying, think of a character that can fill another niche. Show me that you really care about your character and that you will feel connected to the character for many adventures to come. The Ten Minute Background is a great tool to breathe life into a character. There is Aeternis' Seminar on Stellar Applications. Finally, you can ask for an external review of your application.
Prisoners

Last edited by Disaster Master; 05-19-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:56 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 214
Squadfather43 Squadfather43 Squadfather43
I've been looking to play this campaign. What are your rules for character creation? Would you allow the alternate human?
Old 03-09-2018, 08:04 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2786
Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi
Dorlamin Xiloscient
right-aligned image
Name: Dorlamin Xiloscient
Race: Moon Elf
Alignment: CG
Patron Deity: Selune, Our Lady of Silver
Class: Fighter, Eldritch Knight Archetype, Lord's Alliance
Background: Courtier
Personality Traits: I know the municipal history of Neverwinter and understand the politics of our dealings with neighboring communities, including the underdark. I like those that are creative when finding solutions to problems.
Ideal: People united cannot be defeated.
Bond: I shall protect the values of our leaders in Neverwinter no matter how far away they may be.
Flaw: I try to save those who do not welcome my help.
Appearance: Dorlamin has features that look more like a wood elf as he has tan skin and brown hair. A combination of being in the city and marrying within the different subraces has bought more standard wood elf features to the family even though they are mostly moon elf. He stands just over 6'-0" tall and has a very athletic build. One can sense the years of rigorous training that he must have endured. His beauty and charm come through very clearly and it is very easy to understand how he has become an integral part of the Xiloscient's perceived standing within Neverwinter.
Personality: That standing within the city has shaped Dorlamin's life from before he was even born. Upon seeing that she was pregnant with another child Dorlamin's mother, Silonnel, chose to have a midwife attend to her during the pregnancy so as to not overburden herself physically. This led to her being very protective of her youngest son and shielding him from most of the harsh realities of life, unlike what his older brothers and sisters had been exposed to. This allowed Dolamin to develop an altruistic attitude in life that brings a large amount of compassion for those who are less fortunate.

Character Background
Motivation: Dorlamin has a number of different goals that are pulling him in different directions. Most importantly he wants to get back to Neverwinter and see his family. While he has a very large family he believes that he more than anyone fights for the good of the commoners. His brothers and sisters are always aware of how the family is perceived within the noble families of the area but are not as involved with the commoners within the City. He also feels a need to extend the values of the Lord's Alliance in whatever way he can. This is easily accomplished in Neverwinter as there are many guildhalls and the faction is well known, with the crown emblem being displayed proudly. Furthering the Lord's Alliance's goals and mission in darker regions of Faerun can become a bit more problematic however. He will certainly find that the enemies of the Alliance are more numerous than its' supporters in some areas.

History: The Xiloscient house has been active since the city was first founded. It was an elven settlement that went by the name of Illefarn at the time and while the Xiloscient's were not direct heirs to the land they were of noble standing. Many, many generations later they are of but a handful of families that can be traced back to the beginnings of Neverwinter. They are intertwined with not only the history of the city but also the region in general. They have fought back against evil rulers, evil factions and most recently evil outsiders. Their home within the Blacklake District is utterly safe from harm but the Xiloscient's have fought from within the Lord's Alliance since it was first brought from Waterdeep to fight against evil in Luskan.

It was with the Lord's Alliance blessings that the sons of the family, along with other faction members, fought sisters Sylvara and Ayala to leave the area. The pair had come to Neverwinter to help build forces for Bregan D'aerthe out of nearby Castle Never. It was during this effort that Dorlamin first discovered contacts that originated from the underdark as Bregan D'aerthe was in tight with one of the Dark Elf houses from below. After dispatching the pair of sisters the regions was relatively untouched by outside influences until the winter of 1487 hit.

The cold stormy winter would be the worst that anyone had ever remembered and the normally temperate climate of Neverwinter was affected by the river by which it drew its' name going cold as well. Fearing evil influence, the elders sent a group from the Lord's Alliance to Mount Hotenow to investigate the freezing of Neverwinter River. The goal in mind was to gain an audience with the fey that reportedly fed the heat into the river from the active mountain. It was during this expedition that Dorlamin was separated from the rest of the group while under the mountain. Fate would have it that a separate scout group of Lord Neverember's was travelling to the reclaimed City of Gauntlgrym to check on the recently reclaimed city's status. Fearing what may happen if he was alone within the mountain he joined the Lord's group and they descended into the underdark. It was there that the group met a gruesome fate and Dorlamin was captured by the drow.

Role-Playing Sample:
Despite having just met the caravan group of dwarves, Dorlamin trusted that they not only knew what they were doing but that they also had Lord Neverember's best interest in mind. Not that I have much choice but they seem a decent lot of travelers. Over the past few days time, it is difficult to know how much time passes when you are underground, the group proved themselves fit for their task. They seemed to know the best routes, any possible obstructions, and also what creatures to stay clear of. While their mission was not aligned with what Dorlamin had initially set out to accomplish they could lead him to Gauntlgrym, where the elf could then meet up with others whom knew more about the fey. The elders would not be happy if he returned empty handed so it was important to find out not only what the fey knows, but also what came of the rest of Dorlamin's original group. No doubt about it, this caravan would help him piece together the necessary next steps.

Dorlamin's muscles were aching from the relentless travels over the course of the 2nd day and his body's internal clock was telling him it was well past sun down. How much past it was impossible to know but it was definitely close to time to set camp for the night. A few twists and turns later the group happened upon a hollowed out portion of the trail that led to a fairly well protected alcove. Gestalt, the groups scout, motioned the rest of the group in towards the alcove and stated quietly, in common for Dorlamin's understanding, "This will be home my lad. It is not the best suited campsite but it is about as protected as we'll find. You will have last watch with Dugmar." Dorlamin nodded his head and set his pack down near an area that had some small pebbles and sand. Gestalt was right, the area was about as comfortable as he would be able to find in this rocky area of the underdark. He made preparations to start his trance and figured that in due time he would wake to relieve the middle watchman.

Dorlamin's trance was suddenly interrupted by a loud thud nearby. It took the elf a few moments to adjust his senses to the complete darkness around the camp. The dwarves had told the elf the previous night that fires or bright light attract the wrong kind of attention and even if the light cannot be seen directly it encourages more movement among all of the denizens of the underdark. Which in turn invites suspicion from the creatures who are more intelligent. Now the elf was wishing he had light. He was able to spot the large dwarf figure on the ground nearby but only blackened shapes next to him. There was no sign of the other dwarven travelers. Dorlamin sensed something was very wrong and started to rise to go find the rest of the group when a slender figure dressed in very dark clothes appeared out of one of the dark spheres. Dorlamin was unprepared for this encounter and was unable to move or speak, instead just standing shocked and motionless in front of the drow priestess.

In elvish the priestess spoke to Dorlamin in a very formal and consistent tone, "You must come with us surface dweller. You won't need any of your things. Oh, and by the way, your squat friends thought themselves more honorable than to become our slaves. You will never see the white of their eyes again." Dorlamin was wearing only his travelling pants and an undershirt but was immediately blindfolded, shackled, and led to a wagon. His first meeting with a dark elf did not go as he had thought it would.

Last edited by Trmmilwwi; 03-21-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:17 AM
Natural 20 ;)

Tools
User Statistics
Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master
@Squadfather43: Variant human is allowed. 27 point buy.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:39 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 214
Squadfather43 Squadfather43 Squadfather43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trmmilwwi View Post
Perfect adventure and posting rate!!! Application coming.
I'll second that, application in the works.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:43 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6226
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith
Application - Sskath Yiskah
right-aligned image
Name: Sskath Yiskah
Race: Yuan-ti pureblood
Alignment: Neutral
Patron deity: Mystra
Class: Arcana cleric / divine soul sorcerer

Appearance: Sskath is tall, just under six feet, and slender, about 145 pounds, with narrow hips and an undulating walk. Her skin has a slight, greenish tint, and her ears are small and sharply pointed. Something similar to, but unlike scales run from her cheekbones down past her neck and shoulders to at least her upper chest. Her eyes are yellow, with slitted pupils, and her tongue is longer than that of a human, with a notable fork.

Background: Far traveler (modified)
Traits: I have no qualms about stealing from the dead. I honor my deities through practices that are foreign to this land.
Ideal: I must be careful - I have no way of telling friend from foe.
Bond: I will make amazing discoveries and profit by them!
Flaw: I have a weakness for new intoxicants and pleasures.
Feature: All eyes on you

Personality: Spending the vast majority of her life among humans has had a deep impact on Sskath. Simply put, she is more human than most Yuan-ti. She is physically appealing and has an engaging, somewhat seductive personality, and she is also quite self-centered, but she lacks the overt wickedness of most of her people. She disdains direct confrontation and tends to be cool and calculating.

Motivation: She is motivated by a complicated mix of honest curiosity and base greed. Having had little to do as a youth besides let her imagination run wild, she was endlessly fascinated by the ruins she spent time near. She spent hours and hours imagining who lived there and what they did. As she got older, she came to imagine that many of those old civilizations had wealth and power beyond belief. She dreamed incessantly of being the first to discover great cities and artifacts left behind by long-forgotten people, discoveries that would be amazing in their own right and make her wealthy and powerful, to boot.

Role-playing sample: Eventually, I returned to Port Nyanzaru and my family. I simply showed up one day and took up residence in my old rooms. I was neither welcomed back nor turned away - snakes are not sentimental. I spent most of my time in our little library and in what few archives the city had to offer, studying legends of ancient cities and cultures, the more nearly-forgotten, the better. Every night, I deliberately fed my dreams to Ubtao, and my magic became stronger. After some few months, it was time to leave and seek my fortunes elsewhere. I took passage on a ship to Waterdeep, believing that the unexplored wastes of the North would yield some of their secrets to me. I found the cold to be hellish.

In Waterdeep, I found an abundance of scholarly resources. After a month of study, I chose the ancient gnome city of Dolblunde as my first target. All know that the gnomes are masters of magic and the fabrication of artifacts, and in that long-forgotten city I would surely find great trials and greater treasures. Oh, my hubris. I was captured on my fourth night.

It was obvious that the city once known as Dolblunde had changed hands many times and had been long abandoned. Gnomish architecture had been covered with orcish graffiti, kobold spoor was everywhere, as were broken arrows, bits of armor; the detritus of centuries of war. I went down and down, believing I was peeling back the layers of an onion. I simply walked right into them.

Drow. Cold-hearted, utterly cruel, and utterly insane. I had heard of the Underdark, but imagined it to be miles and miles below the surface, like a cancer buried deep in the body. It is a cancer, but one that has spread everywhere, nowhere far from the healthy, living surface. They fell upon me while I made my cold camp, emerging from the darkness to take me prisoner effortlessly. They marched me down and down for what had to have been at least ten days, scarce pausing for food, water, or rest. I was surrounded constantly, kicked, prodded, and tormented with weapons and their vile magic.

At last, we emerged into one of the things they call a city - haphazard piles of rubble called homes, blood and bodies in the streets constantly. For even the drow themselves, life is brutal and short. For their slaves, as I now found myself, life was vastly worse. At least I am female and nonhuman. This gives me a sliver of status over the human slaves, particularly the men. Those seldom live longer than a few weeks.

I endure. I offer my nightmares to the gods each night; would that I could feed him the nightmares that are my days. I grow a little stronger in my magic. I feel...something, quickening inside of me. I hide. I whisper. I do what I must, when I must. I will escape, and destroy those who have victimized me.

Snakes are not sentimental, and they never forgive.

Last edited by Berith; 03-21-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:54 PM
Illithid Eater

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1819
Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser
Interested. I will likely apply with Julius De'Vountara, a human bard from a previous dead OOTA ad who I'm still very interested in playing. With a change here and there to spice him up a bit more.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:57 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1607
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
thamior
left-aligned image
Name: Thamior Kevolithe
Race: half-elf
Alignment: neutral good
Patron Deity: selune
Class: warlock(fiend)
Background: acolyte
Personality Traits: I've enjoyed fine food, drink, and high society among my temple’s elite. Rough living grates on me.
Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude.
Ideal:I hope to one day rise to the top of my faith’s religious hierarchy.
Bond:I will someday get revenge on the corrupt temple hierarchy who branded me a heretic.
Flaw: I put too much trust in those who wield power within my temple’s hierarchy.
Appearance: Thamior is six feet in height. He has wispy white hair on half his head falling to shoulder length reminiscent of the shade of the moon. He has inscriptions written by the tongue of the voice he hears(infernal) upon his body written under the cover of moonlight. He wears silken robes coming over a single shoulder and reaching down to his ankles. He has brown eyes and his ears bend toward a point reminiscent of his elven ancestry.
Personality: Thaminor is determined and vigorous in his expeditions. He makes allies easy is slow to trust due to being cheated by those he looked up to allowing for few close friends. He enjoys the drink and prefers to spend his night in a pub than under the stars.
Motivation: He is determined to rejoin his faith and remove the hierarchy who branded him a heretic.
History: Thaminor was born in the temple with the guidance of selune. His mother was a priestess and father an adventurer. He grew up in the faith and spent many nights staring into the stars before going to bed. Upon his fourteenth birthday, he began to hear whispers. They didn't seem to ask for much. Mostly just creating small scars and marks upon his skin in a language he seemed to begin to understand the more he wrote. He began to hear whispers going against what he was told and when he told his elders they would scold him. He knew what he was told though. He only heard the words under moonlight so surely selune wouldn't betray him. Eventually, the elders grew tired of scolding thaminor and sent him away and told to return only when he could be true to the faith.
Role-Playing Sample: Thaminor left the monastery and made his way toward the underdark. perhaps there he could find someone to tell him the truth after all selune and her counterpart controlled the underdark. The constant night should bring clarity to his mind. He was making his way down when he came upon some dwrven runes though only admiring as he had no knowledge of their works he was found by a partol of drow.
While attempting to flee he was hit across the head and woke up finding himself in their control.

Last edited by delpinator; 03-09-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Illithid Eater

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1819
Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser
Application Draft: 'Without a Name, A Man is Nothing'
right-aligned image
Julius De'Vountara
"Ain't heard of De'Vountara? Don't blame yah, plays for nobles so you wouldn'ta seen him about...
but you've no doubt heard a song or two. 'The King's Daughter', 'Mililian Man' and I even heard
it was 'im that first did 'Old Mott's Horse'. Heard he was a poshy lordling but 'Ol' Mott' ain't a song
of their like. No, that one gave me a right holler when I figured out what he really meant by it."

Race: Human
Class: Bard of the College of Glamour
Background: Courtier
Alignment: Neutral Good
Patron Deity: Milil

Traits:
I'm well known for my works in high society, and am always taken aback when people haven't heard of me.
I am always thinking of my next line, a conversation is a play and I am but a charming and handsome actor.
A truly human drive to succeed pushes me onward, I don't tend to give up on something, good or bad.

Bond:
Because of my capture the love of my life was left upon the alter. Nothing will stop me from returning to her.
I was raised a commoner and, despite my bluster, I am no fool to the struggles of mediocrity.

Ideals:
No matter your situation, there is always a way to make your life better. You only need the creativity to find it.
What is beautiful often leads towards what is right.

Flaws:
I am a romantic and tend to follow my heart before my mind.
I'm never satisfied with what I have—I always want more.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:03 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 221
RedWolf0214 RedWolf0214 RedWolf0214
Posting for interest. Will try to have something done for you this weekend.
Taken the Oath of Sangus
Old 03-09-2018, 06:06 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 112
FamnDool FamnDool
Name: El'lynsyn
Race: Wood Elf
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Patron Deity: Rillifane Rallathil (god of Nature)
Class: Circle of the Moon Druid

Appearance: (Obviously this is what he looked like before he got captured...) El'lynsyn wears an odd mis-match of armor, arm pieces of studded leather, a chest piece and greaves of leather, and leggings of Hide. The armor is well used, and has been worked over with charcoal, mud, and rubbed leaves leaving it a patchwork of black, grey, brown, tan, and several dark shades of green. From his right side dangles a strange series of loops of woven vines which hold in place a trio of Javelins. From the left hangs a quiver of arrows for the longbow across his back. In his right hand he walks with a staff made from a large oaken branch that has been stripped of it's bark, and smoothed and polished. With a light coating of bee's wax the staff gleams even in the dimmest light.

Personality: El'lynsyn is almost too open, almost too honest, almost too friendly. His years spent among a village of only 12 people, only once in a while encountering others as he went to Loudwater to acquire the occasional fishhooks or salt, has left him lonely, even though it was by his own choice. And yet...looking at him one feels a foreboding. Maybe it's the fact that he is so in tune with the mysteries of Nature, but he always seems as if he's holding something back.

Motivation: El'lynsyn was searching for his Uncle, Bo'Syliar, when he was captured. Syl vanished almost without a trace two weeks ago. At his last known camp site signs of a struggle were found, and, drawn into dirt turned mud, not by water but by blood, and then allowed to dry, a single Rune. A rune to strike fear deep into the heart of any Elf. "Lloth". El'lynsyn has guessed that Syl chose to use the fairly simple Rune Lloth rather than the much more complicated compound Rune for Drow because he was being held captive.

History:
112 years ago Hyi'velen, the priest of Rillifane Rallathil at the Holt in the far west of the High Forest, and Ey'levar the Wizard had a child. The boy was, naturally for an Elf, trained in weapons and the basics of magic. He was a never ending source of headaches, always running away into the forest.

52 years ago this boy was on one of his jaunts into the wood when he ran into a small group of Goblins that were in the process of cutting down a medium sized tree. Angered, he drew his longbow, and loosed an arrow, taking one of the Goblins in the eye, dropping it. The other Goblins ran away at the sight of this mighty warrior.

2 weeks later Bo'Syliar, the boys Uncle, arrived in the Holt, having come to test the child. When Bo'Syliar left the Holt 2 weeks later he had the boy with him.

Last year, after half a century of training El'lynsyn was finally deemed worthy of the title "Protector of the Wood", and accepted his role as a Druid.

Last edited by FamnDool; 03-13-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:29 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6087
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Gol Flagstone:
right-aligned image

Name: Gol Flagstone
Race: Mountain Dwarf
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Patron Deity: Tempus
Class: Path of the BerserkerBarbarian
Background: Acolyte
Personality Traits:
-I’ve spent so long in the temple that I have little practical experience dealing with people in the outside world.
-I am tolerant of other faiths and respect the worship of other gods.

Ideal:
-Aspiration. I seek to prove myself worthy of my god’s favor by matching my actions against his or her teachings. (Any)

Bond:
-I owe my life to the priest who took me in when my parents died.

Flaw:
-My piety sometimes leads me to blindly trust those that profess faith in my god.

Appearance: Gol's appearance is that of a typical shield dwarf, He stands just at five feet tall and weighed a hefty two hundred pounds, his complexion remains ruddy and brownish. His head is bald and he wears his reddish-orange beard in one thick band at the middle with two thick braids to either side. His frame is thick and and his limbs are corded with muscles from working the deep mines that spiderweb his home in Felbarr. His eyes are dark green under thick bushy brows of reddish-orange. He favors thick leather work trousers and calf-high leather boots with thick soles. He also wears a thick, wide belt about his waist with a plain rectangular buckle and thick leather bracers about his wrists.

Personality: Gol is like most dwarves when it comes to personality. He enjoys working for the sake of his community and to the betterment of all. He often attempts to be thoughtful and profound but often loses himself to wild frenzies of anger and ferocity. For him, he sees this rage as a gift from his deity therefore has never tried to curb it. He enjoys drink as much as he enjoys work as well as honoring Tempus.

Motivation: Gol is motivated by the honoring his deity with acts of bravery, honor, duty and battle, as all followers of Tempus. Being under the detainment of the evil and vile drow is anathema to Tempus' tenants. He seeks a glorious death in battle against a worthy opponent among his captors if he cannot wrest his freedom from them.

History: Gol Flagstone was born among a diminishing family line, his forebears all giving up their lives for the sake of Tempus, glorious deaths in battle against worthy opponents. Unfortunately, many Flagstones sat at Tempus' table in the afterlife. Shortly after his fifteenth winter, His father and mother, the only remaining Flagstones before Gol, met with worthy opponents and their glorious deaths deep in the halls of the underground community. After this event, Gol was taken in by the priest, Dirge Falon, that retired from battle, giving up his opportunity at a glorious death to see to the upkeep of the temple of Tempus. Gol had nothing but respect for the aged dwarf and learned the tenants of Tempus as his parents and grandparents before him.

As he grew, he learned the rituals of battle bestowed to the followers of Tempus, taught to channel his anger and rage at his enemy in order to fully grow to the song of Tempus that resounded in the hearts and minds of his followers when met with the rush of combat. Although Dirge taught Gol more of the upkeep of the temple, small chores and rights to bestow Tempus' blessing upon the dead, Gol did not shirk his combat ability and strove for more. He lived in the temple and daily worked in the mines, rarely associating with his kin because they saw him as battlerager rather than a true shield dwarf. Tempus was not a deity shared by many dwarves but Gol was tolerant and respectful of the deities of his kin but never strayed from the teachings of Tempus.

The faithful day when Gol thought his glorious death was upon him, he was instead captured and taken even deeper into the tunnels as a captive. He had just finished his shift in the mines and traveled to the tavern above in order to find meal and drink when he heard one of his kin telling tale of a patrol falling prey to a drow raiding party. Of all the talk being bantered about, it seemed one noticed Gol sitting nearby and mentioned that it would be the duty of the followers of Tempus to go down there, hunt down the drow and end their lives. Gol would have seen this as folly but the teller of such tales professed a wish to respect and honor Tempus in a way similar to Gol. It might have been impetuous to think that Gol, all on his lonesome, could accomplish this mission and thus he ventured down into the mines to find this raiding party and put an end to it.

Role-Playing Sample: Gol was sitting about the tavern after a usual day at work, hauling large rocks from a deep portion today, the starting process of a new tunnel. Enjoying his drink was the singular thought until talk of a drow raiding party was begun. The tale that a patrol had fallen prey to them. Then a whisper beside him, a hooded and cloaked individual that sat near Gol, "It would be to the glory of Tempus if these drow were seen to."

Gol risked a sideways glance and the whisperer knew he had struck the proper target, "What do ye mean, Tempus would see these drow destroyed but what are we to do, The followers of Tempus number two."

The hooded figure took a swig of ale from the tankard before him, "I would see Great Tempus renewed, if perhaps the followers were to show their prowess once again."

Gol was out of his seat before the sentence was finished and down into the tunnels within ten minutes. He had seen his warhammer loosened from it's strap as he stalked about the tunnel where the drow were to have been. He knelt as he found the discarded shield of one of his kin and then a weapon of drow-make. He ran a finger along the blade then put finger to tongue, spitting the foul tasting poison to the ground immediately, 'Drow, certainly.' He was on the right trail and as he prowled along, it wasn't long that his search bore fruit.

From the darkness, sprung the trap, a number of drow that seen the powerful dwarf swiftly overpowered, he was outnumbered ten to one, easily if he had to wager a guess. He was knocked into unconsciousness before he could raise his hammer and as he was carried off into the darkness, he began to come to but was repeatedly beaten senseless until thrown into a cage. He awoke to pacing drow guards that spoke of transporting the prisoners to Menzoberranzan. He knew at that moment, he would earn his freedom or his seat beside Tempus.

Last edited by Arthilian01; 03-10-2018 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:30 PM
Chaotic Good Red Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6087
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Application complete, pending GM Critique.

Unfortunately, this will be my third attempt to get into an Out of the Abyss game and my third fresh, original character concept. If need be, I will change my character to hopefully meet approval.

Last edited by Arthilian01; 03-09-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:23 AM
Natural 20 ;)

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you very much for your interest so far in playing this game!

Just one note regarding the background: Please choose 2 Personality Traits, but only 1 Ideal, 1 Bond, and 1 Flaw.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:02 AM
Natural 20 ;)

Tools
User Statistics
@FamnDool and @all: For your back-story, you may assume the canonical Forgotten Realms world after 1489 DR. The campaign will start in the Underdark below the Sword Coast (the region detailed in the SCAG).

Last edited by Disaster Master; 03-21-2018 at 03:01 AM.