... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old 02-01-2019, 08:02 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10211
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Adina sucked a breath of air into her non functioning lungs just so she could sigh. Announcing the group and then waiting for whoever was creeping out there to come forward was not really working out for them.

She raised an eyebrow as Thomas cycled into some other form of awareness. The Tremere wondered whether it might have any relation to the things she would be able to do, but for now she was just glad somebody had a handle on the people on their case. In fact, Thomas seemed just a little bit like he was about to put up a fight as well.

Under the circumstance it emboldened her. "So we know where they are," she said softly. "and they know we know they are there - whatever purpose that might serve."

Pausing briefly she looked over at Alec who had played that particular card to no real effect. She evidently considered it a blunder the way another frown twitched across her brow, but inside she was glad that it had not been her to slip up.

"So we do what we came for, keeping an eye on them." Standing around in this mexican standoff with invisible men was grinding on her nerves. "Or we leave - now - making sure we are not followed further. Just waiting around here is pointless."

To emphasise her point Adina took a few steps towards the pier they came to investigate, the number 21. She could freely wince as her back was now turned to everybody else, because she really did not want to be the woman of action in this troupe. Frankly she was scared there would be violence - something that had always been a looming abstract force to her. Gigantic, true, due to the timing of her natural life in relation to her heritage, but something that consumed other people. A maw that ate family and friends, but only smiled as she passed it by.

Adina stopped after the fifth or sixth step to turn, looking for Thomas. "You can keep an eye on them, right?"

Old 02-03-2019, 05:19 PM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17862
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Awareness and reaction to said awareness varied dependent on the individual for a variety of reasons. Granted as the night clearly held far more secrets than answers, perhaps Adina's response was the most logical of all of them, and yet while Leesa became aware that perhaps not all was as it seemed and Thom watched the dark, his eyes shimmering with an iridescent crimson as they sought what the others could not see in the gloom along the wharf opposite that which they had come to investigate.

Movement, action, inaction, all of it had its place and all was caught in the middle of it when the burbled sound broke out into a trill of clear and obvious laughter to all present followed by a splash. In the shadows Thom could see a bit of shadow, a long, lean form as it arched into the harbour and vanished into the deeper darkness of the water. That something, someone had been there was now without doubt, the question was just who, or what and perhaps all the more important, why?

As for the second bit of movement, visible barely to Thomas alone, there was still a question of who or what, though with the dark so deep this end of the harbour-front, it was unlikely to be clear unless they decided to make themselves known or if someone sought them out.

It was clear that Adina's focus was on Pier 21, and as she moved along that section of the wharf, it exposed to her the walls of a slender warehouse accompanied with the associated metal stairs which would carry one to the roof as well as the closed sliding garage style doors which opened on to the furthest end of the dock, closest to the open harbour water.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:32 PM
leaves spin windward

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39776
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Almost the same instant the laughter trilled out, followed by the splash, the second movement that before had only been seen by Thomas headed straight for the water, ignoring the shadows now for the purposes of speed. A slim ladylike body with loosely caught back dark curls was visible to anyone looking; if her intention had been to sneak around tonight, it was unlikely she would've been wearing a bright red sweater. The female figure ran for the water, but by the time she made it there, all signs of the other had faded. She cast around a bit to see what she could see, but all in all it wasn't much. This was more or less obvious from the way the seeking pose slumped a little before turning their way and shrugging, shaking her head. "I'll be right there," she called across from that pier, waving a little. The distance wasn't big enough to confuse the senses of the Kindred present as to her identity: Rita. (Though one had never met her, it was pretty clear she was intending to be there.)

First, however, she turned and made for the place where the other person had been. She moved into the shadows again, this time where they had hidden whomever had been present just moments before. There wasn't a lot of her visible for the time it took her to search the area thoroughly, though what she expected to find, she wasn't sure. It's not like people just dropped clues at random specifically for the people following.

Once she had explored everything she thought she was likely to find, Rita made her way down Pier 20, visible in and out of the shadows as she made her way back to the street and came around to the end of Pier 21. She didn't hurry, she doubted there was much left here to hurry about at this point. Anyone else who might have been present in the darkness had probably used the distraction to leave. As such, it took her a short while to reach the others. "Sorry I'm late," she offered with a crooked smile. "Anything else I've missed?" Her smile touched on everyone she knew, lingering as she passed by Alec, whom she didn't.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:03 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17722
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Leesa took up station by Waif, who she assumed would be the locus of the interesting action. Yet it's Adina who leads the charge towards the piers.

With an exasperated gasp, Lessa says, "Screw this, I'm not waiting for mysterious strangers to fall into my lap." She trots off behind Adina. A few moments later, a blur of motion and sound overtakes the group, moving towards the water. Soon after, a red-cardiganed, curly haired form emerges from the shadow. Leesa lets out an even louder exasperated gasp, but at least this one emits from smirking lips. "Ugh, and I WAS waiting for YOU to fall into my lap! What are you doing THERE? What's that other... thing, did you see it?

"I'm sick of all the mumbo-jumbo and skullduggery. Everyone is opening third eyes and passing in shadow and whispering to the moon and whatever. What's the point!"
She stomps one foot and it's no longer clear if she's still smirking or truly frustrated. "It time to find what's going on here. Waif, you willing to do a little 'direct observation'?" Leesa points at Pier 21. Rita notices that she is pointing with a short but wicked-looking knife. Leesa grins sheepishly and flips it closed. "Adina? Lead on."

Calming her outrage as they walk, Leesa remembers her manners. She asks Rita, "You all right? Was that you banging back there?"

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 02-06-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:17 PM
This Guy!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11282
JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons
Thomas nodded slightly to Leesa, though he was focused on the small movements in the distance. There was laughter and the form, long and lean, dove into the water. His left foot shuffled a bit as his natural instinct seemed to urge him to give chase, or get closer at the very least. When the form dived, the other left the shadows but it was his keen hearing that identified the second figure and Thomas flinched when he heard her voice.

The young gangrel wasn't entirely sure what to think. The nice lady that he had occasionally dealt with at the gallery was clearly not an ideal hunter, and it was likely that it was her that made the noises from before. But more than that, Thomas wanted to know who the other figure was... and almost as important in his broken mind was the fact that he was afraid of meeting with Rita again. She had seen a new side of him last night, and just that fact frightened him. The Old Man was hard to deal with, he knew, and he had lost potential friends to his broken mind in the past.

As Rita reached the group and offered a twisted smile, Thomas found himself looking at the ground. And then he moved, as if he was ignoring everyone, to search the area. As he did so, he remembered one of the things he'd brought - a flashlight. Bringing it out, he looked around and tried to find something useful. It was only as he looked that he finally spoke to Rita again, and though he tried to act normal, the nervousness tainted his voice, "H...hello Rita. Did you see who it was that dived into the water?" Even with the question, Thomas continued to search and still refused to look at the Toreador.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:27 PM
Master of Undeath

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11062
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
Alec Thorne
right-aligned image
Most individuals would have no doubt found the Waif's sudden transformation, likely via the Protean discipline, as some degree of terrifying. Or at least some level of horror when she turned around. Alec found it fascinating instead. This was the first time he could remember seeing such a display from so short a distance, so unless he had seen something similar in his foggy mortal years, it was the first time ever. All cases of similar displays were at far greater distances, even with his sharp eyes and optional hypersensitivity granted through Auspex. A shame it was one of the disciplines you were least likely to find a willing tutor for given that the clans did not like to give away their specialties. Instead he would just settle for envious admiration. Or that would have been the case if not for their situation. Instead he had to tear his eyes away and focus back on their unknown stalker(s).

While it might have been Adina's and his hearing that first heard the interloper, apparently spotting it fell to Thomas, and while the warlock could not spot it himself, he did hear the splash following the trill of laughter as that presumable someone jumped into the water. With the combined advantage of the darkness as well as the head start, Alec did not even contemplate pursuing the veritable phantom. Instead choosing to trail after Adina and the others that had begun to advance on the twenty-first pier, only to pause as the second presumed stalker emerged blatantly from the shadows, dressed in...

Who embarks on a night of stealth and skulking wearing a bright red cardigan sweater! Physically shaking his head to clear the temporary mental disruption to his thought process he thankfully quickly comes to the conclusion that the newest arrival had perhaps not been intending to indulge in such activities when they dressed themselves this evening. He really did not care for the alternative, which reeked of things malkavian in nature. Fortunately either way, judging by his companions reactions this newcomer with the lovely ebony curls was a friend rather than foe. Adding in the bit where some of them appeared to have been expecting here, Alec's mind arrived at the most likely outcome even before it became outright confirmed by both the others and Rita's own apology for tardiness. Still, there was now the matter of her two questions she had asked, one verbally of the group as a whole, and the other silently, conveyed through a smile that lingered just a hair longer on him than it did the others. The warlock waited for Leesa's exasperated torrent of words to die down before he spoke, as their was no need to get the attorney even more wound up. Not that it wouldn't be fun. He started with the second one, as seemed appropriate, accompanied by his own smile. "Alec T. Thorne of Clan Tremere, at your service, mostly, Miss Rita. Clan obligations being what they are. As to your question, that depends, what are you already aware of?"

Old 02-05-2019, 05:22 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Adina stopped in her tracks at the laughter and subsequent getaway of their stalker, though whether they were really gone she would not bet on. A tension she had not known had built up in her whole shoulders and back relaxed as from the shadows not another enemy emerged, but Rita. Even though she had only met the woman a day ago - meaning really met her, as in having exchanged words - it was a sight for sore eyes as far as she was concerned, especially when the alternative was all that the horrors that her imagination could conjure up.

Sometimes she forgot that she was the boogeyman. She did not really feel like it all that often.

Adina winced a touch as Leesa belittled what Adina felt her own personal area of expertise, but considering her colleague was able to swallow the insult she was not about to argue like a child. "Fr das Geliebte leiden ist so s," she mumbled to herself, confident that if she was heard by someone that she was at least not understood.

"Yes, let's get this over with - finally." Before Adina commenced her walk towards the most obvious entry point into the pier she looked back at Waif to see if she was also coming.

Last edited by Phettberg; 02-05-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:50 PM
leaves spin windward

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39776
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Rita held up her hands, palm out, in a gesture of submission under Leesa's tirade. She approached closer with footsteps quieter than Leesa's complaints at Rita and the group in general. Her outfit's inappropriateness didn't stop with the color of her sweater. Though her leather boots were solid and quiet as she moved, the charcoal slacks were clearly high end. Her dark hair was clasped back at the back of her neck, which allowed a lot of it to fly in all directions, making for a much more casual look than would've been appropriate to match the clothes and likely whatever she might have been doing before this... yet it wasn't exactly a good look for sneaking around a warehouse in the dark. There was something to be said for the efficiency of a ninja's approach to new locations.

Her smile of greeting to Thomas didn't show any hesitation over past events, even if he didn't look up to see it. "I saw something out of place as I was on my way to meet you here, so I took a detour to Pier 20. But no, I never got a glimpse. I can tell you it was Kindred, but that's about all my second sight tells me. Didn't get close enough fast enough to even find out if it were male or female." She looked down at her pullover and sighed. "I'm not much of an investigator, nor sneak. If I'd gone into the water after it, at least I would've had an excuse to go change out of these clothes."

She straightened a little when Alec introduced himself, turning to face him specifically and offering him a pale slender hand, for all it wasn't a business meeting. "Margherita Carrara, at yours... in similar fashion, that is. I imagine Toreador obligations to be less secret, at least, but likely no less stringent than those of the Tremere. And the primogen is my sire, so I am held to a double standard." She paused as if this inadvertently led to a thought process she couldn't share, her smile weakening as she stared into space past Alec's shoulder. It was but a moment, however, before she shook it off and was smiling again. "As for last night, I was there. Anything that you've done yet tonight I've missed. What brings you to us, Alec? Leesa mentioned Ramus when I called, but that wasn't exactly in detail. May I see the card on which you found his number?" She looked around the group, not sure in whose possession it would be, but continued without waiting to see it first. "Where did you find it? Anything in particular happen at Elysium before you escaped the arrival of the Prince? Was it here that you called Govinda?" The tiniest movement of an eyebrow noted her concern that they could've been overheard.

It seemed the others were eager to be moving into the warehouse, so Rita moved along with them, hoping those not quite so focused might still answer her questions.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:46 PM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
Thom had to fill the need to see just where what he had seen, had vanished, and as Rita explained what she had attempted to do and the reasons for it, the Gangrel took to the shadows himself. It was not hard to find the one and only thing amiss on the dock, that being the pseudo puddle of damp timber where the unknown being would have stood. It seemed it had come from the water in much the same way it had returned to the water, and as the waves shook in the flickered glow of the city, it did not seem willing to give up its secrets.

For the rest, it was a quick meet, a quick greet and a catch up of information of sorts as the loomed walls of Pier 21's warehouse waited them. Options seemed to continually open, doors upon doors, with, at least it seemed, none closing behind them, at least not yet.

It was Adina, with Waif at her side oddly enough, the slight girl trailing a mere stride behind the Tremere, who made their first move toward the secrets that the warehouse might hold. Under Adina's hand, the door jiggled, but did not open. It was locked, but from the feel, it was not done so in an overtly secure manner.

oocOther than Adina trying a door... just waiting to see what you are all going to do.

Last edited by Kapera; 02-08-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:09 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
One jerk and the gate was sent rattling, the echoes of the sound appearing way too loud even this close to the water. Without turning around Adina tensed up, lifting her shoulders and drawing in some air just to feel the pressure in her chest. What had she expected anyway? Obvious really.

She looked down at the type of lock the gate had, tried it gingerly again. Somebody could break this open, she was sure of it. Briefly she considered the options that were available to her, but found all of them lacking. Adina was no great larcenist. Looking over her shoulder she wondered who might be. Maybe Leesa would have picked a lock in her time, maybe Thomas could summon the strength to break the door down. Alec might have focused his studies in an applicable area. Who knew, really.

First things first. She had some other avenues to exhaust. Taking a step back Adina studied this side of the building a little more, looking for windows, loose panelling, something to hold onto to climb upwards. Come to think of it, this door did not seem unbreakable to the right criminal, but she wondered if there were other more hidden safety measures in effect if this was a place of relevance.

It might be easier to come in from the water, she considered, but then again whoever had tried to scare them may still be lurking in the water.

After having studied the building to her hearts content she finally turned and folded her arms in front of her chest. "Is any of you in possession of lockpicks, and the skills to use them?"

Old 02-09-2019, 08:59 PM
This Guy!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11282
JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons
Thomas knelt at the wet patch as he quickly made a few conclusions about his quick search. There wasn't much to find, but the moisture made it clear that whoever had made a quick getaway had come from the water to begin with. What that truly meant wasn't clear, but Thomas suspected that the laughter had come from a denizen of the island. Perhaps even from the one they were supposedly here to meet, though that was a stretch.

As he moved, his keen hearing picked up on the talk, including the words directed towards himself. Alec made introductions and there was a hint of impatience shown from several of the others. And while he had been avoiding looking at Rita, her voice didn't display any hint of fear or disgust. That made the young gangrel feel a little better, but he knew that not everyone showed their full hand. In fact, most people held back. Slowly he began to speak to Rita, "Th... there isn't much to find. In investigation, I mean. But... the figure was long and lean. And they came from the water... before diving back in. Could be from the island."

Thomas continued to mull it over as he listened to Rita's continued speech and he watched as Adina tried the door. He wondered what she would do if it was locked, and he spoke again, "Not a card... I found Cheryl's phone buried in her basement... Probably a throwaway for just one purpose." He pulled it out and offered it to the Toreador as he continued, "I... I called the Ravnos and... we'll have to see him, or he'll f... find me, I suspect. I get the sense that he knows things."

The gangrel made sure that Rita took the phone as Adina spoke, asking if anyone there had lockpicks. Thomas bit his lip, briefly considering avoiding the question and the situation. But he shook his head at that thought and reached into the satchel slung over his shoulder. And with a flathead screwdriver in hand he approached the door and slammed his shoulder into it, and with quick hands, stuck the tool into the small gap and pried the deadbolt out of it's socket. With the door opened quickly, he shot a nervous glance to everyone, as if he was afraid they'd judge him but he spoke softly, "Wh... what are we looking for in here?"
Old 02-10-2019, 04:07 PM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
It was a valid question as Thomas' deftly opened the locked door. Despite the force used, he had managed to leave the door in relative normal shape, such that on leaving, they ought to be able to make it seem as if nothing occurred, at least to the casual inspection. Beyond that fact as they stood on the dock, with little actual plans, the knowledge that a Ravnos intended to pay them, or at least Thom a visit at some point, someone that had some sort of connection with a now deceased Cheryl, coupled with another expected phone call at any time from Rita's own cold call...

The space beyond the door spilled into assorted shades of shadows, the softer grey where faint light streamed in through upper windows or where fire exits were marked, the red glow of EXIT vivid in the dark. A casual glance revealed crates here and there, though they truly seemed to lay in no particular fashion, in fact it seemed almost careless with a greater waste of space than was actually needed.

Stranger still, for those whose senses were far heightened, there was a deeper silence here than expected on the docks, in fact to think further on it, aside from the noises they had been drawn to, there was little sound of the usual things one might expect. No rats, mice, no creatures crawling and now that it was clear it was not a raccoon, but Rita in her attempts to be quiet, it seemed indeed, the area had a dearth of creatures. While this was odd if it was to be thought upon, for Thomas and Waif it was doubly so. It was such a thing that while the slight Gangrel did not have an answer for Thomas, she did drop into a crouch a moment and seemed to be listening, though her expression indicated she was not pleased.

"I got nothin' Thom, not a single furry faced pest to ask anything of... you?"
Old 02-11-2019, 05:43 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17722
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Leesa watches dispassionately as Adina tries to finesse her way into the place and then Thomas just shoulders the door open. She nods in approval.

"First order of business is to find out WHO, exactly, is coming and going to the island. After that... signs of what's being transported; what's going on over there? Any sign of connection to the names that have popped up, Govinda, the Seneschal. Signs of recent activity, including our predecessors in the investigation.

"I'll be looking for not-getting-killed, too."

With that, she slips in the door. Again, the paradox of Leesa's motion appears. She has clearly never been trained about how to move with any sort of grace or deception, but there is a natural float to her motion as she glides in. That said, with the loud bang of the entry, it's Stealth roll in the dice thread. Almost certainly zero hits.hard to expect much element of surprise here.

Inside, in the dark, she looks for obvious waypoints to move towards - a lit office, a boat in a slip with running lights, anything aside from piles of crates. If they're desperate, the group can start rifling through them, but that seems like a high-effort, low-value sort of task.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:33 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
Adina had stepped to the side of the door as Thomas casually broke it down. Not that she was complaining, she had merely raised an eyebrow with a trace of a smile dancing around the corners of her mouth.

It left as Leesa was dishing out orders, Adinas eyes going blank as she stared ahead. When the other woman was done she clicked the heels of her oxfords and responded in a stiff affected military tone: "Jawohl Frau Hofrat, zu Befehl."

The lack of quiet seemed appropriate after Thomas had done, and it did not seem like Leesa was making any effort at being stealthy herself, lithe as she maybe she moved. Behind her Adina stepped into the doorframe and casually held on to the inside handle as she opened it for the others. She turned her head upwards as if listening out for stalkers in the night.

Last edited by Phettberg; 02-11-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:19 PM
The penguins are coming!

Tools
User Statistics
While there was no lit office to meet Leesa's needs, there did seem to be something more office like, or at least not crates on the far side of the room, up a ladder into a loft like setting. The faint light from the upper windows caught on a bit of shine, an office window perhaps?

Last edited by Kapera; 02-11-2019 at 07:23 PM.