Game Thread Chapter 1: Edge of Anarchy - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Curse of the Crimson Throne
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Dainn Dainn is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-28-2012
RPXP: 16
Dainn
Posts: 75
Chapter 1: Edge of Anarchy

Korvosa, fair Korvosa. Largest city in Varisia. A hub for trade, and commerce, it is not unusual to see
Elves and Dwarfs rubbing shoulders and toasting drinks in a drink hall, or seeing a Halfling and a Human bartering for a better price on a dagger.

The Cheliaxian saying of "That which you don't know will undoubtedly be fatal" was about Korvosa.
Between Gaedren Lamm, a boil on Korvosa's backside, and the cursed throne, Korvosa has more than its share of
accidents, thefts, and kings that died while in their prime.


OOCGo ahead and post your into pieces below. Use bold text for any dialogue, italics for thought.
Once everybody has posted their intro, we can get going.


Players in this game we call life.
CharacterPlayerRaceClassLevel
Ceol "Fey Song" NeartIrishKattFaunBard1
EddieMystic LemurHalflingRogue1
Alika RanioriLaydeeDHumanWizard1
Erasmus JaggetJukkaHumanFighter1
Jel PudgeAlluHumanCleric1
Gustag KegswillerryatorDwarfCleric(Crusader)1


Last edited by Dainn; 03-20-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-17-2012, 06:02 PM
LaydeeD's Avatar
LaydeeD LaydeeD is offline
Supplier of Fine Cookies
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 03-24-2012
RPXP: 1387
LaydeeD LaydeeD LaydeeD LaydeeD LaydeeD LaydeeD LaydeeD LaydeeD LaydeeD LaydeeD
Posts: 1,250
A wizard needed money, a trade and a home. A wizard like Alika Raniori who didn't have a suitable income had to make do with what she had. Her home was a rented apartment in a lesser district of Korvosa. One that she shared with a grey short hair cat--Mousie, she had dubbed him--who lacked the qualities of a mouser. Jobs were difficult to come by, and gold was hoarded to buy cheap and old tomes of magic.

One such tome with its tattered pages of tome lay open on her tiny bureau. Squinting in the candlelight, she carefully traced out the symbols of an amalgamation pattern. A key formula for measuring components in spells, it formed the basis for many conjuration spells. The newer editions of the tome would have an updated version of that pattern, yet it was far too demanding on her purse.

Her eyes narrowed as she tried to stifle her inner rage. If her parents hadn't made their disappointment clear...if Lamm had never...and more importantly, Perdita hadn't died...

A sudden bump against her legs jostled her out of her thoughts. Looking down, she noticed a very irritated cat looking up at her. "Really, Mousie what are..." her question trailed off when she noticed the empty food bowl. Reaching into her small bag, she removed a small package wrapped in brown paper. A small slice of fish was slid into empty bowl.

Honing into the food, he slid past her without a thought. She sighed slumping into her chair. Too long, she was cooped up inside. Perhaps, some time out of the her tiny home would help her.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-18-2012, 06:15 AM
Allu's Avatar
Allu Allu is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-19-2019
RPXP: 742
Allu Allu Allu Allu Allu Allu Allu
Posts: 2,408
The lady had been blowing kisses to Jel all night and her musical laughter sang in his ears as he picked up a pair of kings straight from the deal. Saying a silent prayer of thanks for Desna's gift he quash his urge to smile and push the rest of his stack of coins: gold and silver into the middle of the table "all in with fifty gold pieces" he says, managing to give his voice a slight quaver of uncertainty that the other men, experienced players all couldn't help but pick up on and be drawn to like sharks to a wounded fish.

As he leaves the table, pocketing the rubes' coins he waits until he is well out of earshot before breaking into a barking, baying laugh "This is all too easy when the mistress herself seems to be looking over my shoulder and the players are all drunk as lords but I have to make my expenses and it's better to take from the foolish than to ask money of the needy that I heal. Maybe I should find some more challenging tables next time..." his fond daydreams are cut short when he remembers the real reason he's in this city... Lamm!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Jukka's Avatar
Jukka Jukka is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-17-2012
RPXP: 39
Jukka
Posts: 209
Blood dripped slowly from Erasmus' fists, enough to many any observers wonder if he had split his knuckles. He had, of course, not. The blood came from the now flattened and busted nose of the young man now laying on the dirty ground of the back alley they were in. He was perhaps sixteen, maybe seventeen, and Erasmus had spied him picking pockets in a crowded area, and had followed him as he slipped away. A quick chase had ended up in this alley. The fist-fighter had demanded to know anything and everything the young man knew about his fellow pick-pockets in the city, especially in relation to the man called Lamm. The young man had replied with a rather vulgar insult, and was promptly punched twice in the face, hard.

"Now I'm gonna ask one more time before I get nasty...what do you know about Lamm?" Erasmus growled, looming over the young thief.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Mystic Lemur's Avatar
Mystic Lemur Mystic Lemur is offline
likes to move it move it.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-24-2012
RPXP: 38
Mystic Lemur
Posts: 332
This is gonna be a right good day. 'Eddie' thought to himself when he realized his hangover wasn't as bad as usual. He still used the stuff the alchemist had given him to help with fire-eye. Unless you were crying (which was far too much work, and absolutely ruined any chance of using makeup to help the disguise) the 'donors' expected you to be "bright-eyed and bushy tailed". He'd have to try to avoid the docks today, most of the ships coming in had halfling crew and they didn't take kindly to pretending to be a human kid. Maybe one of the gates... There was always a steady stream of visitors on foot and horse this time of year. Just had to watch the gate guards didn't pay you too much mind.

...

He was starting to get hungry. The bright side was it made the acting easier, but he needed to head back into town to grab a bite before he got the shakes too bad. He hadn't noticed it was getting close to midday... Bearable hangover, and only had to run from the guard once. This was a good day.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-19-2012, 08:34 AM
ryator's Avatar
ryator ryator is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-07-2020
RPXP: 1647
ryator ryator ryator ryator ryator ryator ryator ryator ryator ryator ryator
Posts: 5,698
A long sigh issues forth from the huddled form, his massive shoulders rising then falling like massive logs floating in a lazy river. He sets his back against the brick exterior of a building in the dark alley as if he were keeping it from toppling outward, then he slides down slowly to sit on massive haunches. The dwarf's ample belly settles over a tightly cinched belt like a snow precipice set to roll downhill in an avalanche. With a grunt of appreciation - a feeling that fine works of craftmanship often brought about - he caresses a carved, wooden mug with thick calloused fingers. His leathery skin crosses every groove as if he knew them by heart, and his eyes were sad but resolute.

Gustag always found solace in his cups, and this one was no exception, but this solace was different. This cup had given him that first connection to his patron and his first tie to the brothers of his order. Those same brothers that he hadn't seen in quite some time...for they'd thrown him out. The burly dwarf sighs again, and blows it out through his black, braided beard. Nah...that's not fair. They didn't throw me out, just sent me out ta' find out who I really am...they did me a favor, and I'll always be in their debt...no matter where this road takes me.

Rising back to his feet, Gustag looks to one end of the alley, then the other, then he hangs the mug on its belt loop again. In one direction was a tavern, one where Gustag had crushed bones in the hand of man only days before in an arm-wrestling match. They're not soon ta' forget that. In the other direction was the temple district, a place he struggled every day to stay away from, when every instinct he had tried to pull him there. Nah...not yet...find yerself, he said. I don't know who I am yet...or what I'm about. He kisses a sausage-thick finger and presses it to the wooden mug, then raises his head to the sky in silent prayer. With a nod, he steps towards the tavern. Maybe tha' fella' will forgive me if I buy 'im a stout. After all; I healed him after...probably only was sore for a few days.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-20-2012, 12:56 PM
IrishKatt's Avatar
IrishKatt IrishKatt is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-19-2018
RPXP: 941
IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt
Posts: 2,660
It had been a late night; one filled with wine women, song, and dance, but nothing was sweeter than the morning breeze blowing through his window as tousled his hair. The lithe faun rose to his feet off of his bed, and shook his long hair; his white fur moving with the half body movement. As the sun light filtered through his window adorned with slightly tattered makeshift curtains, he stretched and greeted the new day with open arms.

As he readied himself for that day, Ceol brushed his long hair, and dressed in his usual attire, making sure that all was looking good, but that was only half of the battle. Looking over to a table in his room he smiled as he looked upon the pan pipes. They had brought him both luck and good times, but it was time for his daily practice, and with this skill, and familiarity with this instrument of the fey.

For at least an hour and a half the faun played his pan pipes, and for that long he was in complete bliss. The song was for his elven mother; a thought that never ceased to brighten his mood, and mixed in these thoughts was one deep in the back of his mind, one that he tried to hide. That dark repressed thought of death, and murder. Revenge was not something he liked, but it was what he wanted. Ceol realized his song had taken a turn for the dark when he shook back to reality, and it was then that he continued the soft upbeat tune he had made for his mother.
__________________

Natural 20's:13
Natural 1's: 2
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-20-2012, 11:40 PM
Dainn Dainn is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-28-2012
RPXP: 16
Dainn
Posts: 75
Day 1, Desnus 12 4708.

Alika:
As Alikas gaze rose from her cat, she noticed an unusual card sticking out from between the pages of her Spellbook.
Pulling it out, she recognized it as one of the cards that fortune tellers use, The Foreign Trader.
Flipping it over, she saw the writing on the back.


Jel:
As he ran his hand over the purse that contained his winnings, Jel noticed something that was definitely not coin shaped in the bag. Pulling out the purse, Jel had a look of concern on his face. There had been nothing but coins in his purse when he pocketed it. he reached in and pulled out what looked like a playing card. On closer inspection, he realized it was a Harrow card depicting a one eyed guy in a bar, The Publican, looking on the back, he saw a note written on it.


Erasmus:
“Nothing!” The young thief shouted as he picked himself up and darted off into the crowd.
Seeing that the fight was obviously over, the crowd started to wander back the way they came, no longer paying attention to the angered fighter, nor the small sack the thief dropped as he ran away.
As Erasmus looked down at the bag, he saw something sticking out from under it. Picking it up, he saw a picture of a bear on the front, The Bear, he tossed it on the ground where it landed face down, as he watched it land, he finally saw the writing on the back.


Eddie:
For a cutpurse, Eddie wasn’t having much luck this morning. A few copper pieces, a hand full of buttons, and a letter to somebody's sweetheart. The marks in this part of the city had less money than Eddie did. Eddies last mark was enough to drive any self respecting thief insane. All they had was a card with a picture of a bird on it, The Peacock, and a note on the back.



Gustag:
As Gustag sits down at the bar, he pulls out his mug while waiting for the barkeep to come take his order. Running his thick fingers over the intricate carvings that cover the outside of the mug, each turn of the lines is like a verse of a prayer. Gustag looks down at his cup and is surprised to see a piece of paper sticking out of it. With a furled brow, he pulls out the card. On the front is a shacked man, arms raised as if praying to the sun as the chains of his oppression shatter. The Big Sky.


Ceol:
It was with much regret that Ceol had to put his instrument away. The Sun waits for no Faun. As he opened the pouch that keeps his pipes safe from the weather and dirt, he was startled to see a card fall out onto the table. The front of the card was obscured somehow, while the back had a note written on it.



DM:
 


Add 1 Harrow Point to your Character Sheets where it says Action Points, and note which Harrow card you received.

I hope you all dont mind starting off a little slow to give Allu a chance to get his computer fixed.

Go ahead and describe your day leading up to going to the house, if you decide to follow the notes request.
Or you can ask around about the address on the card (Make a Gather Information check)

Last edited by Dainn; 03-20-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Mystic Lemur's Avatar
Mystic Lemur Mystic Lemur is offline
likes to move it move it.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-24-2012
RPXP: 38
Mystic Lemur
Posts: 332
Tears welled up in Eddie's eyes as he read the note for the third time. This had to be a joke or, worse, a trap. It was far too good to be true. Either way, he wasn't going to be able to 'work' for a while. "I need a drink." he said, startling the kind old lady that was about to ask him what was wrong. She scurried away, as if from some kind of demon in a child's skin. Well, that's what I am, isn't it? Eddie thought as he walked to the nearest bar.


Once he calms down a bit, Eddie will ask a few regulars at the bar if they know anything about the address.
Dice Knowledge (Local):
1d20+4 (2)+4 Total = 6
OOC
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Jukka's Avatar
Jukka Jukka is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-17-2012
RPXP: 39
Jukka
Posts: 209
Erasmus merely stared down at the card for several moments, his face blank, before frowning.

"...if this is some kind of joke..."
he huffed to himself. Still, it was the first lead he had gotten in quite some time. If it was some sort of joke...well, he'd deal with that when the time came. As it was, he lacked any other leads. So all he could do...was wait until sundown. Until then...a meal and something stiff to drink sounded like a good idea. The brawler immediately turned and began walking to the closest drinking establishment he was aware of.

Last edited by Jukka; 03-21-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-21-2012, 11:45 PM
ryator's Avatar
ryator ryator is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-07-2020
RPXP: 1647
ryator ryator ryator ryator ryator ryator ryator ryator ryator ryator ryator
Posts: 5,698
Gustav recoils from the note as if he had encountered a viper, and he sucks in a breath. I told myself that I'd not allow him to affect me so. Even after all of these years, his name alone can inspire such a feeling.... With a grumble of annoyance, the dwarf quaffs the remainder of his brew, thanking his patron for the blessing of such a fine drink.

With thoughts of his tortured past, and feelings he'd thought long buried invading his thoughts, Gustag steps from the bar, settling his tab with an almost mindless ritual. He steps away from it with a single thought that he'd hoped he'd lost - revenge.

Gustag spends most of the day talking to his contacts within the city to see what he can find out about the place.

 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-23-2012, 01:21 PM
IrishKatt's Avatar
IrishKatt IrishKatt is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-19-2018
RPXP: 941
IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt
Posts: 2,660
It wasn't an unusual occurrence for Ceol to miss something, after all he was the epitome of a flighty faun, but this, this was different. Someone had placed this card here with intent, and after reading the note, his mind blanked.

A breeze poured in his window; like a firmly woven fan had swept outside the sill just moments ago, tossing his hair once more as he stared at the card for a few more moments. His eyes darted around the room, and his hand moved instinctively towards his panpipes.

A delicate looking hand thumbed at his bardic tool as he ran things through his head, but he knew that in the end someone would know what this was all about, and that someone would be one of the fellows at Bard's End. With no more than a flick of his wrist the pipes, and the card were in the carrying pouch and Ceol was out the door.

It wasn't a long walk to Bard's End at all, and when he opened the door he looked to a few familiar faces. Faces that have seen the city's darker sides, and faces that has seen a great deal of hardship. It was here that he began asking around about his newly acquired trinket. It wouldn't be long he knew before someone there would release information they had on the subject, or who else in this large city had had a great deal of problems with the vile cretin known ad Lamm.
__________________

Natural 20's:13
Natural 1's: 2
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-27-2012, 12:48 AM
Dainn Dainn is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-28-2012
RPXP: 16
Dainn
Posts: 75
Eddie
Those that didn't completely ignore Eddie's questions about #3 Lancet street were rude and unhelpful. The most he was able to learn from a rather gruff tavern maid was that it was somewhere in midland.

Gustag
Gustag thought he had a solid lead. Unfortunately, someone was either playing a joke on him, or didn't know their helmet from a privy, as the directions supplied from one of the few helpful drunks he came across lead right into the Acadamae.


Ceol
Upon closer inspection of his card, Ceol was able to make out what appeared to be a horned horse on the front, The Unicorn.
Asking around Bard's End proved fruitful for Ceol.
 



DM
Sorry for the partial update, will go further once Alika (and hopefully Jel) post. Or by Wednesday if they dont.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-02-2012, 07:55 AM
Allu's Avatar
Allu Allu is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-19-2019
RPXP: 742
Allu Allu Allu Allu Allu Allu Allu
Posts: 2,408
As he is a consummate liar himself and knows the many benefits of a good con Jel's first thought is "what is this mystery person's angle, what do they have to gain besides the obvious?" He spends a full ten minutes contemplating what they could possibly want from a Varisian or a priest of Desna and how likely it was that such fortune would fall into his lap. He offered up a quick prayer to the goddess before deciding that he couldn't just let this go.

He spent the rest of the afternoon rubbing shoulders with thieves, street performers and dockmen, asking a question about who it could be here, about the house there; mixing in enough of his own "knowledge" so it didn't look like he was completely ignorant of what he wanted to know about.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:32 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB