Game Thread The Lost Mines of Phandelver: Black Arrows - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Lost Mines of Phandelver
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-20-2017, 08:42 PM
CRblackfist's Avatar
CRblackfist CRblackfist is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-14-2018
RPXP: 80
CRblackfist
Posts: 286
The Lost Mines of Phandelver: Black Arrows

You each receive a letter the day before you are due to travel;

Gundren's Letter
Dear fellow,

My thanks for joining me in this endeavour. My brothers and I are onto something big, I can tell you!

As we discussed I have gone on ahead to join my brothers in Phandalin. It’s a small town, about ten miles off of the Tribor Trail. I have enclosed a map. The town itself isn't much, but if I'm right it’s about to see prosperous times! Don't worry about me, I am travelling with my companions Sildar and Jalik, they will take excellent care of me.

There are a few of you all travelling with this wagon load. Each of you will be paid ten gold on delivery of the goods to Barthen’s Provisions. I know it doesn't seem like much, but trust me, if you continue to support us there will be plenty more in it for you!

Good luck and in your travels,

Gundren Rockseeker



After packing your supplies and meeting at dawn you head out on your journey.

You have been travelling the High Road, heading south from Neverwinter. Recently you turned east, onto Tribor’s Trail, and have been driving the cart the uneventfully so far. The trail is known to see bandit and highwaymen activity every so often, but so far the journey has been quiet. Pleasantly so for some of you. The trail is a dirt trail, well worn in, and cuts through a heavy shrub and lightly wooded countryside.

The sounds of birds chirping rings out and the air smells mossy, as if it has rained recently. As you move along the along, the trail winds and bends but the trip has so far, gone well. Croveg and Mordra are riding the wagon, which contains supplies such as salted pork, a dozen sacks of flour, shovels, picks and even a barrel or two of ale. The wagon is pulled by two oxen. The oxen are well trained and take little to no effort to guide. Jeridoon is currently moving ahead of the wagon by ten feet or so and keeping an eye out for trouble. Tymau and Drodin are walking alongside the wagon. Everyone is passing the time swapping tall tales and stories of past adventures.

 
__________________
Characters: Harakh Thaarn The Lich Relic

DM: Lost Mines of Phandelver

Last edited by CRblackfist; 08-20-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-20-2017, 11:27 PM
ballon's Avatar
ballon ballon is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-02-2020
RPXP: 417
ballon ballon ballon ballon ballon
Posts: 2,078
As they head out of town, Croveg realizes that it's been many a moon since he's been outside the city. "Last time was what, 10, 11 years ago since he went looking for the supposed 'buried treasure' Malkovik had told him about? Almost cost him his life when he ran into that band of goblins. Thankfully he was able to stay hidden until they passed. Yep, good ole Malkovik he had a good laugh when I told him what happened, until I punched him. He wasn't laughing no more."

As the thought passes the wizard realizes that it might not be wise to be day dreaming. Better to keep a watchful eye out for any trouble. After all, they are getting paid to deliver the supplies safely to Barthen’s Provisions in Phandalin. Last thing they needed to do was to get ambushed or lost and not able to make the delivery. Watching the others and listening to some of their tales while they have been traveling, he sees how boring his life really was. The most excitement, aside from the 'buried treasure' incident, was the occasional drunk or disagreement he ran into during his night watch patrol in his district.

Feeling a bit more at ease, "I have to be honest Mordra, I did not expect Gundren Rockseeker to offer me a job. I mean I did interrupt him in the early hours of the morning. But, here I am." Stopping for a moment to look at Tymau and Drodin, he continues " Do you suppose we should maybe offer Jeridoon, Tymau, or Drodin an opportunity to ride in the wagon for a while? Don't know about you but my butt's starting to hurt as these seats aren't the most comfortable."

Last edited by ballon; 08-20-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-21-2017, 07:21 AM
labadaba's Avatar
labadaba labadaba is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-19-2018
RPXP: 660
labadaba labadaba labadaba labadaba labadaba labadaba
Posts: 1,669
Jeridoon walking several paces ahead of the wagon, nurses a wine skin. He swallows a great mouthful, sighs in the enjoyment of the fermentation of grapes, and secures the skin in his pack. He wipes his mouth with his hand and smears some spilled wine on his leather jerkin. In a brief moment's time, his hands are back on his light crossbow, a bolt placed firmly in the flight groove.

"I have no mind to sit on a wagon," Jeridoon says grumpily in response to Croveg's offer of exchange in positioning. These few words and a few disjointed sentences regarding skewering goblins have been all the noise that the group has been able to conjure out of Jeridoon Ninnel. "I'll keep watch ahead, if you don't mind," he adds, this time with a softened tone.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-21-2017, 07:53 AM
Amnesianhero's Avatar
Amnesianhero Amnesianhero is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-21-2018
RPXP: 144
Amnesianhero Amnesianhero
Posts: 193
left-aligned image
Mordra

"You heard the gnome, Croveg. If he wants to end the day sore and covered in dirt I say we leave him to it."

Besides, I'm not dressed for the road she thought, cursing herself. She barely had time to pack food for the trip, much less to buy herself travelling clothes. Dresses and slippers were poor protection from the elements, so she would keep her seat thank you very much.

"And I'd much rather share the wagon with a fellow practitioner of magic, they make for better conversation. What were you telling me about these tomes of lore?"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-21-2017, 11:38 AM
VannyB's Avatar
VannyB VannyB is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-26-2018
RPXP: 288
VannyB VannyB VannyB
Posts: 451
Drodin was well prepared for this adventure for the Rockseeker brothers. He had all the necessary provisions, an optimistic outlook, and good company to keep. Over the course of the few days travel, Drodin had been telling the tales of his travel by sea and his travelling priesthood under Kord. There was the one time that his ship crashed against the rocks and he was stranded on an island full of cats! Drodin had always liked cats and they had liked him. This time however, the cats had tried to gang up and eat him in his sleep. A story that gave even the toughest man on the docks a hearty laugh as they imagined a group of wild cats nibbling at the sailor in front of them. When he told it, he hoped it would drum up the same laughter in his travelling companions.
Another time, Drodin had to fend off pirates with his crew, in the middle of a small storm. It was lucky any of the sailors, pirate or not, survived that day. He told his companions about the huge battle and of how the pirate's boat had been struck by lightning a few times in the storm while his had hardly been rained on.
A blessing from Kord no doubt. The stories had gotten a mostly positive reply Drodin thought.

The day hadn't held much conversation so far until Croveg asked to switch seats. It seemed to drum up a bit of chatter from everyone. I wouldn't mind some small pleasure in relaxing on the cart. Not for too long, lest I get lazy. We must be prepared if bandits attack.In that moment, Drodin looks around to check for the bandits before taking Croveg up on his offer.

"I'll gladly take that seat mate. Well, so long as the lass doesn't mind talking with a somewhat less refined kind of magic user!"Drodin chuckles a little and looks up at Mordra smiling. It was just a small jab at her, but for a moment he couldn't tell her reaction.

In anticipation of his new carriage ride seat, Drodin stows his hammer and shield, freeing his hands to get on the cart and use the reins.


 

Last edited by VannyB; 08-21-2017 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Fix stats
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-21-2017, 02:39 PM
chri2m's Avatar
chri2m chri2m is offline
Let the Wookie Win
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-17-2020
RPXP: 1156
chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m
Posts: 1,723
Tymau Claddana | Human Rogue

Narrative
right-aligned image
Tymau continues to scan the road ahead. He's pleased to hear Jeridoon's commitment to watch the road at the party's head, but he hasn't survived this long by trusting well-meaning strangers - regardless of how apt they seem with a crossbow. The woodland sounds and smells coming from either side of the road strike him as clear and unadulterated. Before his departure - no call it what it is - his escape from Cormyr, he hadn't spent much time outside of the cities. Despite his appreciation for the beauty, the unfamiliarity has him off-balance; and therefore hyper-vigilant and cranky.

The wagon creeks distracting him momentarily as Croveg and Drodin switch positions. Over the coming days, he could be shoulder to shoulder with these individuals fighting highway bandits and other unsavory foes. He owed it to them to try and be amicable. He mechanically gave his eyes a jovial squint but did not smile. "You can have it, Drodin. Considering how much the Rockseekers are paying us, I can't imagine it's all that comfortable."

 

__________________
Not all who w(o)nder are lost... just some of us
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-21-2017, 02:59 PM
ballon's Avatar
ballon ballon is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-02-2020
RPXP: 417
ballon ballon ballon ballon ballon
Posts: 2,078
Chuckling at the comment, "I can't imagine he's going to more sore than us. We'll probably end up with a splinter or two in our kester before the day is out."

Glancing to the left and then the right trying to keep an eye for any signs of trouble, "Tomes of Lore? How I wish I could find something like that. Can you imagine the information, history, the stories that one could glean in just one tome? One day, maybe.... he trails off and then continues, But I am curious to know how close, if at all, the spell witchbolt is for a wizard and warlock? Do you by chance happen to know that spell?"

Waiting for the right moment, Croveg changes places with Drodin and starts walking beside the wagon on Mordra's side and continues talking about spells.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-21-2017, 10:21 PM
CRblackfist's Avatar
CRblackfist CRblackfist is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-14-2018
RPXP: 80
CRblackfist
Posts: 286
As you drive the wagons along the trail you continue to swap stories from your pasts. You each for the most part are honest, if not completely open with each other. As you do so the sun swings from the morning brightness to the peak of noon and past. The hot air is kept at bay by a slight breeze but the sounds of birdsong slowly dies off and leaves you with the grunts and hoof clods of the oxen. The greenery begins to press closely to the trail, thick bushes and trees creeping closer to the trails edge, whilst the trail itself cuts into the dirt more and more, creating a small bank on either side, roughly five feet high.

As you pass a slight bend in the corner Jeridoon sees two dark horses on the trail, sprawling in the dirt. Each has several black feathered arrows sticking out of it and the horses are clearly dead. They are sprawled across the trail, which you guess to be roughly twenty five feet wide.

 
__________________
Characters: Harakh Thaarn The Lich Relic

DM: Lost Mines of Phandelver
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-22-2017, 08:05 AM
Amnesianhero's Avatar
Amnesianhero Amnesianhero is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-21-2018
RPXP: 144
Amnesianhero Amnesianhero
Posts: 193
left-aligned image
Mordra

"You asked me about my witch bolt, Croveg?." Mordra said, standing in the wagon as she
Dice perception check:
d20+0 (3)+0 Total = 3
surveyed the distant trees

"You may get to witness it soon. This looks like the remnants of an ambush, or perhaps the beginnings of one. Drodin? would you be a dear and go investigate while we guard the wagon? "
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-22-2017, 11:47 AM
VannyB's Avatar
VannyB VannyB is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-26-2018
RPXP: 288
VannyB VannyB VannyB
Posts: 451

"Honeyed words for a dangerous request my friend... But aye, I can look at it for us. I'd like it if I weren't no sitting duck though. Somebody cover me, but don't go loosing any bolts my way."

Drodin lays the reigns down next to him and gets up from the uncomfortable wagon seat. Donning his shield, but keeping his hammer stowed at his side, Drodin brings his empty fist to the center of his chest. He prays to himself, Casting and holding concentration on shield of faith.Kord give me your protection. He looks to his new friends for their acceptance of the plan before steeling himself to check out the scene.


 
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-22-2017, 12:53 PM
labadaba's Avatar
labadaba labadaba is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-19-2018
RPXP: 660
labadaba labadaba labadaba labadaba labadaba labadaba
Posts: 1,669
Jeridoon nods to his companions and slips through the treeline on the right side of the trail from his orientation. He stays low, keeping his crossbow aimed ahead of him. Seeking any sign of movement, he scans between his side of the woods and the trail beyond the downed horses.

 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-22-2017, 02:11 PM
ballon's Avatar
ballon ballon is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-02-2020
RPXP: 417
ballon ballon ballon ballon ballon
Posts: 2,078
Letting a smile cross his face, "It will be most interesting to compare the aftermath of our respective bolts Mordra." Stopping as he sees the dead horses on the path before them, he
Dice Perception:
1d20+2 (14)+2 Total = 16
looks from the horses to the sides of the road trying to see if anything seems out of place.

"Your right Mordra, It does appear to be somewhat suspicious. I thing the idea of Tymau & Jeridoon heading off into the brush is sound, but what concerns me is the fact that the horses appear to have been slain by arrows. We need to be on guard and keep a keen eye open for bowmen."

Taking another look this time past the horses, further on down the road "Rest assured Drodin, we will cover you. Just be ready to take cover if any arrows are let loose.

Last edited by ballon; 08-22-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-22-2017, 02:50 PM
VannyB's Avatar
VannyB VannyB is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-26-2018
RPXP: 288
VannyB VannyB VannyB
Posts: 451

Drodin laughs when Croveg comments for him to take cover. "I am no coward Croveg. If there are to be arrows fired this way and that, let my bolt join them. I will not shy away from a fight." With nearly everyone getting in place, Drodin waits for his final ally to be ready before advancing to the horses.


 

Last edited by VannyB; 08-22-2017 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Formatting
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-22-2017, 09:49 PM
chri2m's Avatar
chri2m chri2m is offline
Let the Wookie Win
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-17-2020
RPXP: 1156
chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m
Posts: 1,723
Narrative
right-aligned image
"Agreed. I'll monitor the north side. Croveg, Mordra - one of you keep an eye on our rear." Mirroring Jeridoon's actions, Tymau climbs the embankment and creeps into the underbrush on the left side of the trail. Lightening his footfall, he crouches down and Stealth = 22 quietly makes his way (roll) towards the downed horses. His hand automatically moves towards the hilt of his rapier, but after noting the thick forest growth he draws both his daggers instead. When he is approximately twenty feet from the blockade, he faces away from the wagon to better Perception=11watch (roll) for ambush from this side of the trail. His back itches as he turns away from the others. He hates having to trust that they'd do their part but recognizes he has no other choice.
__________________
Not all who w(o)nder are lost... just some of us

Last edited by chri2m; 08-22-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-22-2017, 09:59 PM
CRblackfist's Avatar
CRblackfist CRblackfist is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-14-2018
RPXP: 80
CRblackfist
Posts: 286
Mordra as you stand in the wagon you peer at the horses, the trees and the trail. You notice a small bird take flight from the southern bank and for a moment your attention is drawn to the bird as it takes flight and sails the wind, disappearing to the southern sky. You barely see Tymau disappear into the northern thickets, who picks his way forward along the embankment, quietly weaving between the branches and dense underbrush. Although Tymau peers out into the brush you see nothing out of the ordinary.

Croveg meanwhile stares intently at the southern bank from where the bird took flight and you think for a moment there is a slight rustle in the thickets and glimmer of metal there. You notice Jeridoon who is edging forward on the southern side of the bank as well, about 40 feet or so from where the bird took flight.

The thickets and trees make it hard to see ahead of yourself, Jeridoon. But you creep forward slowly through the brush. As you do the thickets rustle and one large branch underfoot snaps with a loud crack. At the crack two more birds take flight and disappear into the air, screeching loudly.

As the birds take flight, Drodin slowly approaches the horses, still keeping a fair distance. You notice the saddlebags for the horses are strewn across the trail, obviously looted. The horses look to be the ones Gundren had bought himself and his companions before they left Neverwinter, the black and grey mottled coats the same as you remember seeing before he set out. The arrows obviously killed the horses and they seem to have been dead for almost a day now. The strong smell of horsemeat and blood is carried on a brief western breeze that seems to hang in the air, before fading away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phandelver edit 1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	74222  
__________________
Characters: Harakh Thaarn The Lich Relic

DM: Lost Mines of Phandelver

Last edited by CRblackfist; 08-22-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:21 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB