Notices

Old 03-10-2019, 09:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1927
Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete
Do I need these books for 5e?

I’ve got a pretty comprehensive collection of Pathfinder books, and a decent set of 3.5. But it seems like there are wa-a-ay more 5e games here, so I took the plunge and recently bought a 5e PHB. But at $50 a pop, plus a major lack of shelf space, I’m really not too eager to build yet another library. In addition, I was examining the books available at my friendly local bookseller, and honestly, the 5e books struck me as not having enough new information per volume to justify the expense. Is the PHB going to be enough, or should I just stay away from 5e? What are others’ impressions of the value of 5e books, especially given that I can easily look up (say) a 3.5 Beholder (but is it similar enough)?

Last edited by Arete; 03-10-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:21 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 866
Kuroyama Kuroyama Kuroyama Kuroyama Kuroyama Kuroyama Kuroyama
There are a lot of Pathfinder and D&D games of earlier editions on the site (especially 3.5), so I wouldn't give up hope on those.

The price of the 5e books, even the traditional three essential basics, also drove me away from buying. Well, that and a general dislike of the simplified system from a skim through. Having said that, I would say you can get by with one book. The system is fairly straightforward and the online wikis do help fill in the gaps even for someone like myself, who has no books at all.

Folks are usually pretty patient with people who have no access to a ruleset and will help them along. You could also consider looking into buying digital copies to cut off some of the price.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:51 PM
AARM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23546
theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL
5e is definitely worth learning, but it’s pretty easy to pick up without the cost. I learned the system right here at RPGX, and, even though I cut my teeth on 3.5e before becoming a die-hard Pathfinder guy, I haven’t looked back at those editions since trying 5e. I do just fine finding what I need from searching google and the open 5e SRD.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:57 PM
Visual, Fight's On!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15884
idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy
If you want to run 5e you should probably get the three "core" books to start at least, and you can add on some of the expansions if you absolutely want to. If you are playing the game I would recommend the PHB alone to start. You can add on some of the other books as you play longer if you want more character options, like Xanathar's Guide or the Sword Coast one. You don't need all the 5e books starting out, especially since most of them are adventures and there have been a relatively small number of expansions so far, and you might not ever want them if you have enough mechanical options from the core alone.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:17 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1927
Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete Arete
Thanks to all for the words of wisdom. I feel better about dipping my toes in the 5e waters with just the PHB (and I did pick up Xanathar’s guide this weekend — I had a substantial-discount coupon). I’m sitting and *reading* the PHB, just to get a better feel for what’s new. Still getting my head around Advantage and Proficiency in the new (to me) system.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:23 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
RGNinja
D&D 5e books are generally much lower on Amazon, if that helps. For example, the PHB is currently $30. I always want to buy from a brick and mortar, but I also got to fit things in a budget