Old 01-11-2018, 06:18 PM
Over-educated dilettante

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Agemegos
Dialogue-heavy PBP

G'day

I would have thought that one of the areas in which the slow pace of PBP games was particularly irksome was dialogue, though a couple of ways to make it more decisive do occur to me. (For example, telling the GM what line your character takes in a conversation and licensing him or her to write your characters' dialogue in accord with the outcome of rolls against interpersonal skills and your stated tactics; GMs doing the converse with NPCs.)

Any tips?

Could someone perhaps point out a few of the most dialogue-heavy games in the Games arenas? So that I can see how it goes….

Last edited by Agemegos; 01-11-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:03 AM
Supervillain
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5711
EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist
I don't think dialogue-heavy parts are any kind of problem at all. It doesn't matter that it slows down the progress of the storyline, as writing a lot of dialogue is an indication that the players are interested and having fun. I believe most players find it entertaining, and that is what is most important for a successful game. So I wouldn't try to 'fix' anything about that.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:20 PM
Over-educated dilettante

Tools
User Statistics
Agemegos
Oh good. I'm glad of your reassurance.

I'd still like to see an example of a comparatively dialogue-rich PBP, if someone can point one out.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:19 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36045
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Hall of Fame section of the site.
Try going through the first (oldest) chapter of a game or two. Dialogue often flows when characters introduce themselves.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:11 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 67
ThomasBerg
I've done a few rpgs that were dialogue heavy. We used a format where you could post several paragraphs of dialogue without waiting for a response to each statement/question. In some cases you can anticipate a response and keep a conversation open by placing tags where you expect a response from another player or npc.

Quick example:

Bob the Dwarf smiled as he introduced himself to the human noble. "My name is Bob of the proud dwarf stronghold of Bob Mountain. This is a nice castle, if not quite up to dwarven standards."

<response>

Bob quickly changed the subject. "We are looking for a grisly band of goblins. Have you seen any in these parts?"

<response>

"Ah, I see." Bob looked at his comrades, then back at the noble. "Also, could we possibly bother you for a night's rest in your...adequate castle?"

<response>
Old 07-11-2018, 05:01 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 87
EliTrot
Interesting idea … does someone, like the GM, come along after the fact knit these questions and answers together into 1 narrative?
Old 07-11-2018, 08:30 PM
Mithral Society Member

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 59493
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliTrot View Post
Interesting idea does someone, like the GM, come along after the fact knit these questions and answers together into 1 narrative?
In a good game, everyone helps to knit the various dialogue and action threads into a narrative, but it can be hard, just like it's hard at a table with everyone trying to talk and roll actions at one time (although here, it's almost the opposite of the "at the same time" thing).

The best case scenario is when all the members of a game are almost equally paced on posting... doesn't matter the post rate, if everyone posts at the same rate.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:05 AM
neighbor to the beast.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11878
goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal
zevonian already mentioned HoF games. Here's one in particular. All four pages of this first thread are dialogue. I don't remember if the DM even did much. The next game thread after that is mostly dialogue as well.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:53 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Crazy Maze
I don't think that slowing the pace down a bit is necessarily bad. I mean, if the scene is enjoyable, the pace doesn't really matter that much. In fact, writing dialogue lines and waiting a bit more for the response to come can really give the game a more dramatic sort of tone. If you're REALLY bothered by it, you can tell all the players involved in the dialogue to be online at the same time in order to speed things up a bit. Hope that helps! Cheers!

Last edited by Crazy Maze; 05-23-2019 at 06:53 PM.