twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old May 16th, 2020, 03:45 PM
Saint Prison Mike

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24728
theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL
Feat Advice on a Light Cleric Build (5e)

Fellow munchkins and min-maxers, I'm seeking advice on feat selection for a light cleric build.

Some key deets:

I rolled particularly well for ability scores: 18, 17, 14, 13, 12, 8.

After an ASI and racial mods, I'm sitting pretty with 20 CON and 20 WIS, and have both Resilient CON and Warcaster. KABAM. I assigned 8 to STR, 14 to DEX, 12 to INT, and 13 to CHA.

I need to use my last ASI. As the other ability scores aren't crucial to my build, I was thinking about picking up a third feat, but I am indecisive.

So I've come here for some guidance (cleric pun intended). Some top runners for me at the moment are Tough, Inspiring Leader, Alert, and Lucky. Lucky is tempting, but I've always passed on taking this feat as I feel it could potentially rob the game of what makes it feel special (the peril of misfortune and the built in inspiration mechanic to 5e).

Tough could be great as I plan to wade into combat while blasting and providing some crucial battlefield control and buffs from time to time. Light clerics are surprisingly tanky. Tough would give me a flat 2 * cleric level, but Inspiring Leader would give me and my party character level + 1 temp HP daily. As a level 8 cleric, that's 16 HP for myself (Tough) or 9 HP for everyone (IL).

Alert is great too. +5 Initiative, can't be surprised, and ignores advantage from hidden attackers. As a spellcaster, sometimes going first in the initiative order can provide the party with the key buff before they act (such as bless) or crowd control with spirit guardians.

So what do you guys think? Help me build a case for one of these options OR none of these. Thanks for taking the time to help!

Reds, if I placed this thread in the wrong area, my apologies.

Last edited by theIncredibleL; May 17th, 2020 at 10:17 AM.
Old May 16th, 2020, 06:12 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1602
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
You already have the two feats that are of any value to a cleric.

Inspiring Leader is of more value to a low-level party, and is best taken by a high Cha character such as a Bard. I don't advise Tough either. At Level 8, with your Con, you don't personally need the extra hit points.

Alert seems best, to me, for exactly the argument you made. Reliably getting that buff or crowd control spell off before the enemy acts is particularly advantageous for support classes such as clerics and bards.

(Just as a note, this is why I don't like rolling for ability scores. You run the risk of rolling high. In a sense, you're actually better off with everyone having mid-range scores at Level 1... because that makes your ASI/feat choices remain a lot more meaningful as the game progresses.)

Last edited by Telcontar; May 16th, 2020 at 06:14 PM.
Old May 17th, 2020, 12:38 AM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 46766
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
What rings truest to you:

Your answer should be the feat you choose. And when it serves you well, remember that no one cuts in front of Stanley on Pretzel Day.
Old May 19th, 2020, 06:27 PM
Saint Prison Mike

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24728
theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL theIncredibleL
Thanks for the feedback, folks.

I ultimately landed on elemental adept. It seemed like a solid, thematic choice as a light cleric (fire damage).

DWIGHT: “Fireball!”

Last edited by theIncredibleL; May 19th, 2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old May 19th, 2020, 09:40 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 46766
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
So would that make you...FIIIIIRE GUY!?
Closed Thread