Game Thread The Lost Mines of Phandelver: Black Arrows - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Lost Mines of Phandelver
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 08-26-2017, 12:05 AM
CRblackfist's Avatar
CRblackfist CRblackfist is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-14-2018
RPXP: 80
CRblackfist
Posts: 286
As Tymau slashes at the goblin bowman, the goblin ducks out of the way, dancing away far more nimbly than its short, grotesque form would suggest. Grinning a wide grin, it gurgles hideously at you, leering angrily. It draws a short, curved sword, dropping its bow to the ground. It whoops and leaps at you slashing haphazardly at your chest. Tymau manages to weave and dodge out of the sword’s reach however, the sword catching nothing but air.

Croveg lashes out with magic fire but it sputters as it misses its target and turns the dirt to ash instead of the goblin. Croveg scans the trail banks for the goblin archer and Mordra too looks out from the cart, assessing the situation. You both hear a rustle and look north, as a fifth goblin charges across the bank, leaping from the edge and crashing into the wagon. Scrambling to its feet, the goblin swings a beaten, scrap blade of metal at Mordra, slashing her arm, the crude weapon slicing through the cloth that protects you. It sneers as the weapon draws blood, gurgling slightly, a horrible, inhuman chuckle.

 
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phandelver edit 4.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	74250  
__________________
Characters: Harakh Thaarn The Lich Relic

DM: Lost Mines of Phandelver

Last edited by CRblackfist; 08-26-2017 at 12:09 AM. Reason: spelling, of all things!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-26-2017, 01:38 PM
labadaba's Avatar
labadaba labadaba is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-19-2018
RPXP: 660
labadaba labadaba labadaba labadaba labadaba labadaba
Posts: 1,669


Jeridoon, savoring the sight of the headless goblin before him, slowly makes his way out of the woods towards the wagon. As he shuffles towards a position of line of sight to the goblin that is engaging Mordra, he puts his sword and shield away and readies his crossbow. Caring not at all that the goblins should hear him coming he shouts in common, "I will spit on your corpse after I skewer it, filthy beast!" He lets
Dice Ranged Attack:
1d20+7 (9)+7 Total = 16
[STRIKE]
Dice damage:
1d8+3 (6)+3 Total = 9
loose with a bolt.

 
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-26-2017, 06:08 PM
Amnesianhero's Avatar
Amnesianhero Amnesianhero is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-21-2018
RPXP: 144
Amnesianhero Amnesianhero
Posts: 193
left-aligned image
Mordra


Mordra lets out a shriek of pain and surprise as the crude blade of the goblin catches her unawares. The sleeve of her cloak provides scant protection from the slash, and a startling amount of blood is dripping down her arm as she turns to her attacker. She barely has time to react to the creature before a bolt coming from the woods behind her catches the thing in the chest, knocking it backwards.

"A curse on you! May your death be slow and painful", she shouts at the goblin Casting Hex on the Goblin who attacked her. Target ability: Dexteritywith magical energy infused in her words.

Then, raising her good arm to the goblin, she
Dice Eldritch Blast:
d20+5 (18)+5 Total = 23
Dice Damage + Hex:
d10 4
d6 1
musters another show of power, launching a beam of flaming violet light into the lowly creature's face.

 


 

Last edited by Amnesianhero; 08-26-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-26-2017, 11:47 PM
VannyB's Avatar
VannyB VannyB is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-26-2018
RPXP: 288
VannyB VannyB VannyB
Posts: 451

Drodin heads for the goblin in front of him, letting Jeridoon, Croveg, and Mordra handle the goblin that sprung at them. He hadn't really looked at it, all he knew is that it was there and that the three of them could handle it. Tymau has his own fight, which he can handle. I'll grab the last one.

Drodin hauled himself up on the bank and gunned it towards the ugly creature ahead of him. His muscle memory kicks in during the charge; he grabs the head of his hammer, draws it from the loop it was stored in, and flips it high in the air, catching the handle right in striking position. It's an intimidating and rather effecient way to get his weapon out and ready for a swing.

Tensing his whole upper body and setting it into a powerful swing, he
Dice Attack roll + damage if hit:
1d20+5sh14 (12)+5 Total = 17
→ 1d8+3g (5)+3 Total = 8
comes down on the small goblin with fury!

Drodin struck the goblin with all his might and reared back up ready for a second blow.


 

Last edited by VannyB; 08-26-2017 at 11:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-27-2017, 12:54 AM
CRblackfist's Avatar
CRblackfist CRblackfist is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-14-2018
RPXP: 80
CRblackfist
Posts: 286
The goblin facing Mordra raises its blade, ready to swing when Jeridoon lets loose his bolt and impales the goblin. With a surprised look on its face it stares at Mordra, sword still raised. Seconds later Mordra’s violet ray obliterates the goblins head, leaving nothing of the creature above the shoulders. The corpse drops its sword, before falling awkwardly off of the side of the cart.

Drodin you swing your hammer as you reach the goblin on the southern bank. In terror, it raises its bow in defence but the hammer smashes it to splinters and carries on, caving in the goblins chest, shredding its leather armours, flesh and bones easily. The creature falls as with a sucking noise you pull your hammer from its body with a horrible, wet, sucking noise. The blood drips from your hammer steadily as you look at the goblin corpse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phandelver edit 5.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	74255  
__________________
Characters: Harakh Thaarn The Lich Relic

DM: Lost Mines of Phandelver
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-28-2017, 05:58 PM
chri2m's Avatar
chri2m chri2m is offline
Let the Wookie Win
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-15-2020
RPXP: 1156
chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m
Posts: 1,723
Narrative
right-aligned image
Tymau is dumbfounded by how agile the creature is in front of him seems to be. Most of his previous foes have been humans; many of them made soft by comfortable urban life. Goblins don't have any preternatural danger sense. Wait, do they? The creature discards its bow and draws a rusty blade. Or a heightened sense of smell? No I'm sure I was downwi - and the goblin swipes at him with wicked glee. Tymau lowers his knees and bends backwards at the waist, managing to evade the goblin's attack. In a continuous motion, he straightens, drops his daggers and draws his rapier. Before the creature can recover from its wild swing, he
Dice Rapier attack:
1d20+6sh14 (8)+6 Total = 14
→ 1d8+3g (6)+3 Total = 9
stabs at its exposed side - this time trying to anticipate its agility.
Stats
 

 

__________________
Not all who w(o)nder are lost... just some of us
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-28-2017, 10:17 PM
CRblackfist's Avatar
CRblackfist CRblackfist is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-14-2018
RPXP: 80
CRblackfist
Posts: 286
The goblin's eyes roll back as your rapier slides deftly through the creature's unprotected side. It sighs a last breath of air then its head lolls back, before it tilts over and hits the ground, dead.

Tymau breathes deeply in relief and you all take a moment to look around, relieved and the shock of the ambush, dissipating.

 
__________________
Characters: Harakh Thaarn The Lich Relic

DM: Lost Mines of Phandelver
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-28-2017, 11:00 PM
ballon's Avatar
ballon ballon is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-05-2020
RPXP: 417
ballon ballon ballon ballon ballon
Posts: 2,084
Heading towards the wagon as the last goblin falls, Croveg checks on Modra's wounds. Seeing the damage from the sword, the mage knows it's beyond his meager clean the wound and slap some cloth to it skills. "You got a mighty nasty wound Modra. I think that Drodin should take a look at it. Sit tight and I'll go let him know."

Heading over towards the cleric, "Drodin, how bad are you hurt? Waiting for him to report on his injuries, when he finishes, " Modra took a viscous slash from one of the goblins and might benefit from your healing hand."

Looking at the smashed goblin laying in a heap on the ground, Croveg collects anything of value and heads back over to the wagon and deposits all he found on the dead goblin in it. Heading back over to the horses and saddlebags he starts to investigates the area looking for any clues on how long the horse have been there. Looking at the ground for any footprints or drag marks that would indicate the direction the brothers may have been taken in, he tries to distinguish them from Drodin's and the goblin tracks.
 

Last edited by ballon; 08-28-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-29-2017, 07:30 AM
labadaba's Avatar
labadaba labadaba is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-19-2018
RPXP: 660
labadaba labadaba labadaba labadaba labadaba labadaba
Posts: 1,669


Jeridoon walks over to the goblin that he struck down with his crossbow and rips the bolt out of the creature's back. Securing the projectile into the bolt case, he unsheathes his scimitar. With little regard for respecting his dead enemy, he slices off the thumb of the goblin's right hand. After squeezing the last of the blood out of the appendage into the dirt, he tosses the putrid digit into his belt pouch.

Unashamed of the strange and grotesque ritual and what it spells out of his personality to his companions, Jeridoon purposefully strolls over to the goblin he cut down in the woodland. With a grim smile, he gazes at the headless body of his enemy. He takes this one's thumb as well. Then he locates the head, a twisted grimacing horror, and tosses it over to the body.

"I want nothing from goblinkin. You all may rifle my two's pockets if it pleases you. I'm done with 'em."

He walks over to the horses and studies them a moment. With a grunt, he
Dice Strength Check:
1d20+1 (19)+1 Total = 20
uses all his strength to drag one of the horses out of the path.

"Give me a hand, largekin. The lot of you are bigger than I. We will need to move one of these rotting horses to get the cart through here."

 
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-29-2017, 11:43 AM
VannyB's Avatar
VannyB VannyB is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-26-2018
RPXP: 288
VannyB VannyB VannyB
Posts: 451

After witnessing Tymau slay his goblin foe, Drodin scans the area for any more enemies. If there were any more, they surely would have fled after watching 5 of their kin die. Drodin starts to investigate the goblin corpse, looking for any clues that might help him understand what happened to his employer. From behind him he hears Croveg asking him how bad he is hurt. Drodin realizes then that he hasn't taken the arrow out of himself yet." I'm hurt friend, but I can help her as well. We'll live. Maybe we can take a short rest and bandage ourselves up after investigating what happened here." Drodin heads over to Mordra and the carriage, taking note of Jeridoon's comment. Respectable. Though I wouldn't mind at least taking the gold if there is any.

Drodin heads over, asks the rest of the group if they would like to rest a bit, and gets to
Dice Medicine:
1d20+3 (5)+3 Total = 8
bandaging himself with a piece of clothing he rips from his sleeve. If Mordra wants aid as well, he will be happy to give it.


 

Last edited by VannyB; 08-29-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-29-2017, 12:04 PM
chri2m's Avatar
chri2m chri2m is offline
Let the Wookie Win
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-15-2020
RPXP: 1156
chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m
Posts: 1,723
Tymau Claddana | Human Rogue

Narrative
right-aligned image
Tymau picks up the fallen goblin's sword. It looks to be a wicked, shabby version of Jeridoon's scimitar. Unimpressed, he tosses it back onto the corpse. I won't underestimate your nasty kind again.

Noting the sounds of battle have ceased, he
Dice Survival check:
1d20+2 (1)+2 Total = 3
searches
the northern side for clues of the goblin's activities. Then he quietly makes his way back towards the road to check on the party. He hears Croveg asking Drodin to tend to Mordra's injuries as well as Jeridoon's request for muscle. Clearing the trees and jumping down the bank, he sees that Croveg already seems to be looking for clues around the horses and saddlebags. Excellent What we need most right now is information. Knowing the others are engaged, he calls to the curiously strong gnome. "We can all help you, friend, in just a bit. Right now, Drodin is right. We need rest. And we need knowledge of our enemy."

Tymau walks across the road towards the southern underbrush "Good call on the Dwarven, Croveg! I owe you a cold pint when we next reach town."

Stats
 

 

__________________
Not all who w(o)nder are lost... just some of us

Last edited by chri2m; 08-29-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-29-2017, 04:45 PM
ballon's Avatar
ballon ballon is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-05-2020
RPXP: 417
ballon ballon ballon ballon ballon
Posts: 2,084
With his back turned as he examines one of the dead horses, he hears Jeridoon asking for help. Turning around and seeing the gnome dragging the horse, Croveg's head shakes side to side while he lowers it giving a long sigh, "Jeridoon, can you not see that I'm trying to gather information here. If there were any clues as to what transpired in this general area, as he points to where the horse was, then they are obliterated now thanks to your haste."

Standing up, he looks to Drodin, "And while we are speaking of carelessness, the next time members of this party are trying to scout and see if there are enemies about, we should probably give them time instead of standing out in the open and yelling at them to show themselves. Not what I would call a good strategy by any stretch of the imagination. We got pretty damn lucky this time but please, if there is a next time, let's think it through."

Relaxing a bit as Tymau mentions the good call, "Thank you Tymau. Figured the goblins probably understood common so I took a gamble that they did not speak dwarven. And you can bet I'll be taking up on that colod pint!"

Turning his attention back to the scene at hand he continues his investigation.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-29-2017, 11:51 PM
VannyB's Avatar
VannyB VannyB is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-26-2018
RPXP: 288
VannyB VannyB VannyB
Posts: 451

"Ahh, yes. I took the situation into my own hands, yes, but I only put myself in danger. I mean no offence in saying this; I don't regret my decision. It is an honor to fight openly on the field of battle. It was my honor as well to draw attention from Jeridoon, who had just caused a commotion with a branch while alone on the far bank of this trail. In one swing a goblin almost did Mordra in, and while Jeridoon may be a more competent melee fighter, two goblins at the same time may have been enough to severely injure or even kill him before any of us helped. Granted I did not know two goblins awaited him, but I took my chances as bait to ensure he had some support against the unknown foes we were suspicious of."

Drodin is not angered by Croveg's words. It is well within the man's right to be upset with the judgement call Drodin had made, Croveg did not know the things that went through his head.

After giving his explanation and finishing his own bandages, Drodin moves to Mordra and asks her for permission to inspect her wound.


 

Last edited by VannyB; 08-29-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-30-2017, 12:08 AM
ballon's Avatar
ballon ballon is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-05-2020
RPXP: 417
ballon ballon ballon ballon ballon
Posts: 2,084
Completing his investigation and digesting what he has found he responds in a calm voice, "I take no offense by what you say Drodin and my only wish is for all of us to arrive safely. Since this is the first time we have been in battle together I think there are lessons to be learned about each of our respective strengths and weaknesses.

Heading back over to the wagon and once the entire party is back together, Croveg gives his observations.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-30-2017, 04:54 AM
Amnesianhero's Avatar
Amnesianhero Amnesianhero is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-21-2018
RPXP: 144
Amnesianhero Amnesianhero
Posts: 193
left-aligned image
Mordra


"You only endangered yourself? that's a laugh." Mordra said bitterly to Drodin while removing her ruined cloak.

"If you had used your head, you might have realized that shouting like that only served to catch your allies off guard, and alert the enemies that it was an opportune time to strike. We should discuss proper hand signals tonight, In case we face this situation again.

However, if those are the same horses we saw Rockseeker with before we departed, then we have larger problems than remembering hand signals or bloodied clothes. Do you think that Gundren might have fallen prey to a similar ambush?


 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB