Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > A Crack in the Dome
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 07:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4479
gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38
Homebrew Rules

The core rules of D&D 5e are severely lacking when it comes to underwater encounters and even more so for a whole campaign based in the deep blue sea. So we're going to have to homebrew a lot of rules for this game to work. I will list in this thread all of the homebrew rules, as and when we have a need for them.

It was never my intention to have the game environment cause disadvantage to any PC. Being an underwater environment was just meant to offer a different way to roleplay. With that in mind I offer this thread to discuss my homebrew rules, justify a case for an alternative rules, and come to an agreement on a fair set of rules to apply to the game.
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 08:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38
Physical Combat - Melee/Ranged Attacks
Underwater combat in the PHB (pg 198) is pretty brief but states that melee attacks have disadvantage unless the character has swimming speed - excluding attacks with dagger, javelin, shortsword, spear or trident. As part of your characters' job as a Scavenger I will be granting every PC a swim speed of 30ft, as I believe this would be a key skill that all Scavengers would have. By the PHB rules this should mean all melee attacks are normal.

The PHB also says that ranged weapon attacks have disadvantage unless the weapon is a crossbow, net, or thrown weapon (javelin, spear, trident, dart). All ranged weapons auto fail outside of their normal range. The setting doesn't allow for firearms but they wouldn't work underwater anyway.

Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 08:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Spellcasting - Special Rules
There's a real lack of rules in the PHB or DMG about how spells work underwater. In fact the only rule is that everyone fully submerged in water has resistance to fire damage.

So it's my understanding that on the whole spells and magic work in much the same way underwater as they do on land, save for a few exceptions:

Fire Spells: Fire spells will work but the damage will be generated by the heat of the spell causing burning hot steam in an area around the spell effect. The secondary effects of fire spells (objects catching fire, etc) won't happen. Everyone underwater still has resistance to the damage though.

Lightning Spells: Conversely everyone submerged in water will be vulnerable to lightning damage, which nicely counter-balances the resistance to fire spell damage. As the lightning is magically conjured, rather than naturally occurring, the spell should behave as normal.

Fog Cloud: Fog Cloud just doesn't work by its nature. You can't create moisture in an environment full of water. Other types of cloud spell should work though as they are based on poison/fire damage.

Call Lightning: By the RAW this spell shouldn't work as you're going to be way more than 100ft under the surface of the water. In a dry area, such as within the dome, I would argue that this spell could work as the atmosphere would allow the creation of a storm cloud. Out in the open sea I would allow a little flavour to make the spell work. I've just done a quick read up on storms and a lightning strike is in part due to a positive electrical charge in the ground which is attracted to the negative charge in the storm cloud. So arguably you could flavour the spell to say that you draw the charge from the ground instead of the sky.

Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 08:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Genereal Rules
Light at the bottom of the sea: As most magic appears to function underwater in a similar manner to on the surface I would say that magical light spells would provide the same amount of light as per the spell description. The same would apply to gnomish inventions. However, items that rely on fire obviously won't work - torches, campfires, etc.

In this world the people have discovered and grown a bio-luminescent coral as a light source within the dome. I would imagine that the Scavengers have developed a method of using this same coral in the creation of their outfits/armour to negate the effects of the undersea darkness on their daylight eyes.

Mechanically this would give everybody 60ft of dim light vision whilst out in the sea. Normal vision rules apply in the city.

Last edited by gavins38; May 1st, 2020 at 06:16 PM.