Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 10:38 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 254
Gaurgarauch Gaurgarauch Gaurgarauch
New to the site, old hat for DnD

Hello All,

Just found this site a few weeks ago and am excited to be here. Community already feels very welcoming. I've been playing and DMing DnD for a number of years...since 3rd edition...but mostly by Pbem. I've done a few games in person, but timing constraints and scheduling just make quick posts as opposed to lengthy session so much more convenient. Hoping to get into a DnD game soon and thinking of DMing one if I can find the time.

Cheers All.
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 02:18 AM
very preem, choom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2902
Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy
Howdy, Gaurgarauch, welcome. It's a great community to dive in, for sure, and there's always games cycling. And totally understand the pbp vs tabletop angle, it's exactly why I've sought out online approaches to games. Hope to see you in the RPs!
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 06:19 AM
GMing in Rome and Gareth.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5888
Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin
Welcome Guargarauch! Wow, that's a name I need to type letter-by-letter. Does it have any special meaning?

Thanks for bringing your experience to the forum. What kind of settings do you like most?
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 08:16 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 90089
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
welcome!

glad you joined us here, and brought your experience. Do you still play 3rd? We still have fans, many of them moving on to Pathfinder, but that's really 3rd on steroids. Or have you moved onward?

Whichever your choice, many happy games!
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 07:20 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 254
Gaurgarauch Gaurgarauch Gaurgarauch
Lol. Yeah, you don’t have to type the full thing. Don’t want anyone getting premature carpal tunnel. It’s actually a name from a campaign I ran, Gaurgarauch was the greatest of the hellfire drakes.

I still play 3.5 sometimes (I like it over 3rd for the changes to the ranger class). However (and I’m probably about to get banned for saying this) I actually really liked 4th edition…please don’t exile me. It was just a new system, great for pbp as it broke eventhing down into a grid, and, as someone who first played a fighter, it made melee classes more threatening, able to basically force enemies to attack them. I still enjoy 5th but I was sad 4th just didn’t catch on the way I hoped it would. I’ll do any home brews, but mainly greyhawk and forgotten realms. Just never got into Eberron, but wouldn’t turn it down.

Do you think there would be much appetite for a 4th edition campaign or is it mainly 5th and 3rd? I checked the campaign listings and it doesn’t look like any of them have been going for almost a year now.
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 07:58 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4502
Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun
im just gonna short that to gargoyle or gargamel
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 10:23 AM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 54060
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Welcome Gaugarauch! I love the name. Great to say it aloud. Also, I LOVED D&D 4E! Sorry, not sorry. I am a teacher and I use D&D in the classroom quite a bit, and I still use some aspects of 4e for teaching new players. Not many people here play it, and there's a bit of animosity against it in general, for the flattening out of the classes, mostly. I still maintain the 4e DMG and PH were extremely well written, and as an introduction to RPGs it's fantastic.

You've found a great place to game when scheduling makes live table play difficult. There's a whole different vibe to play-by-post. Very different from tabletop for sure, but in some ways much more complex and more satisfying. I hope you dive right in, and let us know if you have questions.

-LC
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 12:15 PM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20171
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Howdy Gaugarauch,

I love to ask when I see names like yours, is there any meaning behind it?

Tell us a bit more about yourself. We have a whole host of different RPG systems for you to try out in addition to 5e. How about genre, do you prefer high magic, low magic, historical fiction, high tech, horror, sci fi/future tech etc.? Do you have a favorite character class, race? Do you know how much wood a woodchuck chucks, if a woodchuck, could chuck wood?

There are a lot of choices for various RPG systems here, although PF and D&D are the two most common. We have quite a few games with very long legs here. In fact, I talk about one below. To start, you may want to check out a solo game. This will help you learn the site tools, since each site is a bit different.

As far as finding games goes, try here. This is where there are games seeking players. It can be a bit daunting but don't give up. It may take a few applications before you get accepted...but it's worth it once you're in. This is a great place to scratch your RPG itch and interact with some great DMs and players. There is some incredible role playing going on here. I thought I was a pretty good story teller, but I have been put to shame by the quality of many of the players...and I have learned a lot.

This is a place where the people are welcoming, where the games are interesting, and where generally they only expect you to post a few times a week. I've been playing D&D for a very long time and I thought I've seen it all, but this site has some amazing games going on. I've been playing (storytelling as much as rolling) for a few years now in a game that has been going on continuously for four decades, started tabletop and moved online two decades ago. It's set in an alternate Europe where the worlds of Tolkien and Howard existed in ages past. So there is a hint of LOTR and a hint of Conan in it and since it's set in an alt Europe it somehow feels familiar.

This is just one example and there are other great campaigns on RPGX. You should take some time to "stroll around" the site and see if anything catches your eye.

I hope to see you around on the boards.
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 05:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9899
Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus Leviticus
Welcome, Gaurgarauch! And thanks for bringing your RP experiences with you! I hope you're enjoying the site and finding a game or two to join!
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 11:28 PM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 74377
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Welcome to the site, Gaurgarauch! I haven't seen any 4th edition games here for awhile, but it is possible that there are a few games classified in the [Other] sections that are basically a Homebrew D&D that incorporates everything from Basic to 5e or D&Dwhatever rules. I think that's one of the cool things about play by post, rules can evolve easier because we are already tweaking them in many small ways to adjust and improve the play by post format. My guess is that if there are elements of 4th edition that you love, there is probably a game that would use them or be open to considering them.
Old May 1st, 2024, 09:23 PM
Purrs & Roars

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11482
Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra Tigra
right-aligned image

‘Allo and Welcome Gaurgarauch!

Come on in and have a look around. There is a lot to see and do. Enjoy and have fun.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 08:02 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36315
Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc Admin Choc
Welcome Gaurgarauch,

Welcome over here and I laughed about tye 'I play 4e, please do not exile me', that is EXACTLY why the RED's are active on this site, lol #kidding. Personally, I skipped 4e, started shortly with 3rd edition, played 3.5 and then years of Phandelver. When 5e came out I started playing that exclusively.

Let us know if you need help and/or guidance, and/or if you have questions, happy to help

please check out our Solo Games a private luxury DM will be included for free
Old May 28th, 2024, 09:42 PM
Truculent Troubadour

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33497
Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim Black Jim
Since you are obviously a fan of droll content, try your hand in the Open Roleplaying forum. There's a lot to do there that takes up very little time and gets you introduced to some of our more active site denizens. Become an Upper in the Tug-o-War (They could use the help about now) or jump on the band wagon with the Downers. Try your hand at original poetry, make a guess at 100 Questions, drop your clever caption into the Caption Contest, or just kick back and read what other people post for some quick fun.

Welcome to RPGCrossing! May you have years of entertainment ahead of you!

Become a Community Supporter.