Game Thread To the Call of Cthulhu:Horror on the Orient Express-Les Fleurs Du Mal - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Sep 1st, 2022, 06:36 PM
Busy Bee

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8118
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi
Mei Li

Mei watched, somewhat bemused, as Nikka played a little tug of war with the porter over her bags. It was a gallant effort by the Japanese, but the porter summoned reinforcements and it was always a losing battle after that.

Then she felt a firm grip on her arm and found herself under the control of… Henrietta. The lady clucked at the porters and guided Mei around the freight train. Mei took in her first sight of the Orient Express and her mouth dropped open. She had been given some clues to the magnificence of the grand train, but seeing it for real, close up, took her breath away.

Her trance of amazement deepened as the busy headmistress with the iron grip led Mei on board and she witnessed the opulence of the interior. It was a testament to the wealth of European empires. Even the Huangdi of China never had a train as beautiful as this! The whole experience made her realise – and start to wonder about - the wealth of their backers, the mysterious Oriental Club.

As the investigators assembled on board the carriage, Mei realised this would be the chance to get to know them all better. Henrietta was way ahead.

Quote:
”Well it’s always six o‘clock somewhere in the Empire. Shall we?” and she approached the bar. ”Good morning gentlemen we’re not too early are we? I think a French 75 is in order don’t you think Lady and Gentlemen?”
Mei was quite sure that would contain a lot of alcohol, which tended to make her blush and giggle. But she was swept along by Henrietta’s enthusiasm, and nodded submission.

“Yes. That sounds nice. Thank you.”

She considered the others while the drinks were prepared. Mei found herself drawn to Nikka, as someone with whom she had a kind of connection. That was odd, considering the tension between their nations. But then again perhaps not, she decided. What was it James had once said, putting it so eloquently, but in reverse, in Hong Kong?

Quote:
It is a matter of juxtaposition, my Dear. In Liverpool I consider myself a southerner, and would feel a kinship with others who were the same. In Scotland I consider myself an Englishman. In Europe, I am a Brit. And way out here, I am simply not Asian, and would even seek conversation and connection with a German!
Then there was Jimmy. Mei had not failed to notice the attention he paid to her. That was very interesting. She sipped her drink and felt the heat rise in her cheeks.

For the moment, she was most certainly Henrietta’s, and joined the older woman on the indicated sofa. Nikka then made a very sombre toast.

Quote:
“Let us not forget our fallen companions, Abraham and Ale. They would warn us not to become complacent on our journey. I feel as if this train ride itself may hold dangers and so we should make sure that we are all watching out for each other.”
The passenger carriage began to fill up. Mei wondered about what had happened on this team's previous mission...

Last edited by Mitsubachi; Sep 3rd, 2022 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Edited last sentences for continuity
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 11:34 AM
Overlord of Imagination

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36835
Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack
Les Fleurs Du Mal
Calais to Paris
left-aligned image
The drinks were brought on a silver tray by a handsome young waiter who spoke English with a strong French accent. He seemed to look at Milly more than any other, unable to drag his eyes away from the British officer. "Hello! Welcome to the Simplon Orient Express. I am Lorenzo. I am at your service."

While the investigators spoke, Lorenzo worked like a practiced professional. He danced between the passengers with a light step, pouring the drinks in crystal glasses with cocktail napkins. A small tray of cheese, grapes, and biscuits were served. Lorenzo looked at Milly with more intensity than the other investigators, and seemed tempted to speak. Lorenzo stifled a comment, then moved back towards the dining car leaving the investigators alone.

While they refreshed, more passengers began to board the train. From all walks of life they came, and many of the faces seemed familiar to at least one of the investigators. A veritable who's who of France and Britain were getting aboard the Oriental Express. More waiters and porters appeared, speaking under breath in French. The blue and gold uniforms were neatly pressed, and the cadence of the work was practiced and elegant. Every bit of the Simplon experience was considered and excellent-a ballet of service and comfort.

Soon the train started to move, and Henrietta notice no lurch or brutish movement of the car. The Simplon Orient Express itself was a participant in the dance as well- it would seem. The scenery of Calais began to fade behind them, and they moved into the north France countryside. The team sat and an awkward silence of stranger thrown together came over them. The other passengers were making conversation, and the investigators soon felt the need to follow suit.

The KeeperWhat would you like to do?

Last edited by Bluejack; Sep 10th, 2022 at 09:07 AM.
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 04:39 PM
CallHill Minion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14079
Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson
Drinks
left-aligned image
Jimmy Mott
As the northern France countryside moved gracefully by on the other side of the largest window of the Simplon Orient Express' dining car, Jimmy took the last sip from his second French 75. "Satisfactory, I think," he said as he looked at the now empty glass. His posh London accent was now gone. It wasn't worth the effort; he knew his companions were not "buying" it now...they hadn't for days. But he knew he couldn't reveal his true voice, his true accent. He feared reprisal from the others if they ever found out that James Talbot Mott was really an experienced criminal and fence from East London named "Little" Jimmy Mott. "However," he continued, "this occasion calls for something stronger. Yes. Something with bite and something with meaning."

He raised his glass to silently call a nearby waiter who was tremendously busy with the fully packed dining car. Once the waiter came to stand next to Jimmy's seat, he said, "How may I serve you, my good sir?" The man's English was good, although the French accent was unmistakable.

"Two scotch whiskeys, if you please," Jimmy replied. "Nikka Whisky, if you have it...and I'm sure you do." Jimmy then gave Masataka, who was sitting next to him, a long look, hoping that a look of approval would be returned. He then cleared his throat, looked out of the long dining car window, and again thought about that night in London when Ale was destroyed.

Last edited by Warson; Sep 3rd, 2022 at 01:09 AM.
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 03:21 PM
... in his element!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26871
Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon
Henrietta Smythe-Porter – The Orient Express
right-aligned image

Henrietta enjoyed the social chat as the buzz rose in the Orient Express’s bar. She took a second cocktail, but avoided the nibbles; she had a figure to maintain after all – and at her age it wasn’t the simple matter as it had been in her twenties. She happily remade her acquaintance with Milly, and was sorry to hear of his wartime experiences. And she made a special effort to help Mei feel included in such masculine company.

And while they spoke, she was sure to keep an ear open to the conversation around her. Her experience in the British Museum had taught her that even the Empire’s jewels the hands of evil can reach in to wreak their havoc. But she caught nothing that worried her.

She did however notice the attention that the waiter paid Milly. Lorenzo, the man had presumptuously introduced himself to the group as if they were in some small-town diner in America. Henrietta made a mental note to draw it to the attention lest less tolerant folk take umbrage at his gaucheness.

”Milly, dear fellow …” she said, patting her cousin on the knee ”… I think you may have caught the attention of one of the staff.” she looked him in the eye ”Is it welcome?” she tested how her cousin felt ”… its quite alright if it is.” she nodded earnestly ”We have all sorts on Bayswater Road you know – all tastes if you get my drift.”

Later, as the group were well settled, Henrietta took command of the conversation once again.

”Right Lady and Gentleman …” she said ”… the trip to Paris is not too long and we have work to do there.” she looked around to see if anyone was eavesdropping ”And we must expect that there are …” she dropped her voice and leant forward ”… others who will not welcome our attention. None of us are safe.”

She let that point settle with the group before adding ”So I think we should talk, share our stories to date. However, this place is too public. I shall ask this Lorenzo to organise a private dining room where we can be satisfied what we share cannot be overheard.”

Then, reaching into her handbag, she pulled out a pair of notebooks, simple legal affairs and handed one each to Milly and Mei ”I had Myfanwy make a couple of fair copies of my notes – she has a good hand, so I suggest you take the opportunity to familiarise yourself with the contents of the book.” she smiled ”Our own little library for the Oriental Club you might say.”

ooc
We want to talk about backstory, but best not do where anyone can overhear.

Historical note: In the 1920s there were clubs that served the Edwardian gay community and had the most spectacular transvestite balls. Its round the corner from Henrietta’s house – so she’d be well used to all tastes.

Old Sep 7th, 2022, 09:42 PM
rawr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6651
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
Arthur Millington-Fairbanks
right-aligned image
Arthur followed on behind the others as they made their way to the bar car, still feeling a little perturbed at what Hetty had said earlier, and the rather nonchalant way the group had discussed the deaths of their fellows and the dangers both behind and ahead of them. At Hetty's suggestion, he tried one of the cocktails she suggested, but found the champagne slightly too fizzy for his taste, and even diluted with the addition of lemon and gin, was still not the drink for him, he feared. He tried not to be too obvious in half-heartedly imbibing a modicum of the drink before placing it to the side, to be scooped away by the professional liveried staff.

When a toast was raised to the fallen comrades of the group, Arthur stayed silent, but raised his glass with the others. Not knowing them, he was at a loss as to what to say; trite words, meaningless in their expression, never helped him cope with the losses he had faced, so he opted to nod gravely in lieu of saying anything. True to his upbringing, Arthur had not looked up at the approach of the waiter - all men of his rank were studiously taught from young age to ignore the help, after all - and so hadn't noticed the young man's attention focused on him. Feeling rather awkward in this company, Arthur self-consciously wracked his mind for something to say to the assembled group - not his forte at the best of times, and with such a mixed group, foreigners, ladies, a man Arthur still assumed was from the working classes, judging from the tinges to his London accent (obviously putting on airs and trying but failing to disguise his lowly origins), Arthur was nonplussed at what topic he could raise that would not either run the risk of offending, or go over the heads of those present.

He was still deep in thought as to how he could choose an opening gambit in the conversation when Hetty's voice broke through, remarking on the help, and asking his opinion of the wait staff and their attention. Presuming she was contemplating his reaction as to the professional aptitude of the staff, Arthur half-aware said "Oh, yes, I'm sure the staff are most attentive, and I look forward to being serviced by them. They do have quite the reputation for it, after all. Yes, I'm sure they'll perform admirably and diligently."

A momentary puzzlement claims his face as Hetty continues, talking about Bayswater Road - quite what that area (presumably in London - not a place Arthur had visited much, so he doesn't know of the area's reputation) had to do with service staff was beyond him. He really should make more of an effort to keep up with the conversation, he realises, as something of the discussion has obviously passed him by while he was in his own reverie.

He asks for a whisky too when others of the party choose a new round of drinks - single malt, obviously, with a dash of water, something from the speyside distilleries, not realising his faux-pas by passing up the chance to sample one of his new comrade's own blends and the implicit insult that could be taken by the man by doing so. When Hetty passes him a notebook, he pages through it, eyes glancing at the odd word and phrase, but determined to have a proper look later that evening in his room. Realising that he's left the conversation behind yet again, he closes the book and places it in his pocket. "I'm sorry, I think I'm still a little tired from the journey over, I'm aware I'm being a bit of a wet blanket, and unforgivably I'm ashamed to say I haven't been following the conversation as well as I might. A private room sounds just the ticket, and I'll endeavour to be all ears from now on."

OOCApologies for not being present in the game this last week or so - too many other real life obstacles getting in the way, but I should be able to post properly from now on. Thought I'd tie that in to my character too, and the oblivious nature of his reaction to Lorenzo and getting the wrong end of the stick when Hetty guardedly asked if he was gay seemed like too good a chance to mss for a little comic relief.

Playing: Arthur Henry Vane "Milly" Millington-Fairbanks; Haf, Lightbearer; Prepping: Shadowdark / Stonehell: PM if interested
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 10:01 AM
Overlord of Imagination

Tools
User Statistics
Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack
Les Fleurs Du Mal
Calais to Paris
left-aligned image
Lorenzo was unobtrusive as he served the drinks, though he seemed to take notice of Milly's dislike of the drink. Before the soldier could finish his cocktail, Lorenzo had whisked the drink away. He gave a curt nod Arthur, then walked away with the drink.

When he returned, the young waiter gestured to the investigators towards the car behind. He led them to the dining car that was empty of all except a few staff setting up for lunch. The light clink of china and the small thud of silverware on the linens was suddenly punctuated by the train whistle signaling the last call to leave Calais Station.

Lorenzo looked out the window and stooped a bit to see the porters and conductors go about their business. The young and handsome man set up a table for the investigators, and when he finished, he turned to Arthur and spoke. "Monsieur George Grossmith, Jr. a well known British Actor in musical comedies.Grossmith, I am a devoted fan of your work!" Lorenzo seemed very animated suddenly. "Gaiety Girl, Go-Bang, ze Shop Girl. Ils sont merveilleux!!"

"Ze Naughty Princess!" Lorenzo's eyes went wide and he grabbed Hilly's hands. "But wait! I will sing for you?" Lorenzo stood back from the investigators and looked around the car. Then he cleared his voice and began to sing. He warbled a bit, and the young man's voice cracked once or twice. The song was, of course, Parlais-moi d'amour, though the young man butchered the well known tune.

Parlez-moi d'amour
Redites-moi des choses tendres
Votre beau discours
Mon cœur n'est pas las de l'entendre
Pourvu que toujours
Vous répétiez ces mots suprêmes
Je vous aime

Vous savez bien
Que dans le fond je n'en crois rien
Mais cependant je veux encore
Écouter ces mots que j'adore
Votre voix aux sons caressants
Qui les murmure en frémissant
Me berce de sa belle histoire
Et malgré moi je veux y croire

Parlez-moi d'amour
Votre beau discours
Pourvu que toujours
Je vous aime

Il est si doux
Mon cher trésor, d'être un peu fou
La vie est parfois trop amère
Si l'on ne croit pas aux chimères
Le chagrin est vite apaisé
Et se console d'un baiser
Du cœur on guérit la blessure
Par un serment qui le rassure

Parlez-moi d'amour
Votre beau discours
Pourvu que toujours
Je vous aime

When he finished, the servants in the other end of the dining car gave a mocking snicker and half-hearted clap. Lorenzo's face turned red, and the young man's shoulder's hunched. He quickly recovered his professionalism and looked at the investigators, wondering what his perceived hero's response would be. Lorenzo then moved to the car door and gave a short bow.

"Monsieur Grossman, it is an honor to serve you and your friends. I will keep you secret. I am at your service!" Lorenzo gave a second nervous bow, then exited the car.

Last edited by Bluejack; Sep 10th, 2022 at 10:01 AM.
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 05:12 PM
Busy Bee

Tools
User Statistics
Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi Mitsubachi
Mei Li

Mei's eyes flicked to the long window as the French countryside rolled by outside. The Express was a marvel of a machine. It hardly felt like they were moving, yet they devoured distance with astonishing speed. Around the Chinese woman, accents from across Europe chattered and sighed.

Mei sipped her drink slowly, feeling the heat rise in her cheeks, but listened studiously to everything happening around her. Jimmy suggested Nikka whiskey and Mei made the connection, looking abruptly at the Japanese man beside the Londoner. So his business is in distilling whiskey? It explained his presence in Britain, but a new mystery formed. How did one go from that to investigating ... the kind of things she was briefed upon in the Oriental Club?

Mei did not have time to ponder further on that as a waiter appeared and introduced himself as Lorenzo. Just like Henrietta, Mei could not fail to notice the attention he paid their uniformed team-member, Milly. That was a curious thing.

Henrietta made her own conclusion and quizzed Milly upon his feelings over the matter. The old soldier appeared to not have caught on. This was all very amusing, of course, but when Henrietta mentioned that they ought to move to a more private place to discuss their particular business, Mei silently agreed.

She knew their mission was dangerous. The impression she had caught from Lorenzo was that he recognised Milly.

The implications of that led to some dark conclusions. So when the other moved to a private section in the next carriage, Mei excused herself.

"I must powder my nose," she rose and bowed.

Mei glided through the now packed carriage. It was full of Europeans. She was probably the smallest person in the room. She flitted past talkative groups on the loungers, the gilded bar, men puffing pipes. Though her head was bowed, her eyes scanned, surreptitiously surveying the occupants. She looked for that telltale stolen glance toward her departing friends, the slightly altered posture that betrayed when someone was not quite so focused on their "conversation" as much as watching a distant mark.

Similarly, her ears sifted through snatches of conversation, like a radio scanning up and down frequencies, seeking a clue, a single word spoken under one's breath.

OOCLet's see what I can notice! (I will have to miss the singing performance, I think. haha). Roll on the rolling thread.

Old Sep 11th, 2022, 07:06 AM
... in his element!

Tools
User Statistics
right-aligned image

Henrietta’s appreciation of the quick organisation of the private room Lorenzo had organised was soon dispelled by the man’s familiarity and temerity to put on a show of badly-sung music hall doggerel.

She stood back quietly, but aghast.

”My goodness Milly, what can I say …” then turning to Mei she added ”I can only apologise on behalf of the Simplon company. We simply should not be subjected to such … familiarity from the staff.”

Then turning to Jimmy ”And that song I presume something from the music hall? Do you know it? What might he have been suggesting.”

And back to Milly she added ”You know these music hall numbers, so full of innuendo …”

Poor Henrietta was quite destabilised by this performance ”… I’ve a good mind to call the Head Steward now.” her eyes flicking to the cord for calling the staff. ”But we’ve got much business to attend to, and we do not want to draw even more attention to ourselves.”

ooc
We want to talk about backstory, but best not do where anyone can overhear.

Old Sep 13th, 2022, 10:06 AM
Overlord of Imagination

Tools
User Statistics
Les Fleurs Du Mal
Calais to Paris
left-aligned image
Hilly seemed quite keen to get to know the others on the team, but not as much the young Chinese woman. She moved through the dining car after excusing herself to the powder room. The other investigators didn't give that comment a second thought and went to find a more secluded spot to converse. Mei moved away from them and through the two sets of sliding doors to the dining car that was being used to serve breakfast and brunch.

She thought very little of most of the passengers. There was a brat of an English boy making trouble for an older nanny. A quartet composed of two male-female couples discussed boisterously in French. A few businessmen sat and read morning papers while taking coffee. Mei saw very little of note- that is until she saw a very attractive man taking coffee in the corner. The man was thin and smooth complexioned. His hair and mustache were neat yet not overly styled. He wore a very fine suit that was likely tailored given the fit.

Opposite the man was a pair of very attractive women in their late twenties to early thirties. They wore stylish clothing, and their hair was well kempt. Each woman took notes on a small pad, trying feverishly to keep up with the handsome fellow. Mei caught what she thought might be numbers pass between the trio, but they spoke in Turkish. For a moment the man caught Mei looking, and gave a slight nod and smile to the small statured investigator. Then he went right back to his work.

Mei had the impression that this man was wealthy, charming, handsome, and smart. He stood out from the rest of the passengers. Though vaguely familiar, Mei could not place his face.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Bluejack; Sep 13th, 2022 at 10:17 AM.
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 09:34 PM
rawr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6651
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
Milly
right-aligned image
Having finally found his voice, apologised to his new comrades, and settled in to actually pay attention to them for the first time since meeting them, Arthur has started to relax a little (the alcohol has probably helped a little, as have the kind words and ministrations of Hetty). When James (the working class Londoner) effusively praised the whisky he had ordered, Arthur finally clicked, and realised that the Japanese gentleman was somehow related to the whisky that the Londoner was enjoying, vowing to himself to try one of these blended whiskies himself at the next opportunity for a new round of drinks.

The opportunity seemed ripe when another of the train's many waiters (for Arthur did not pay attention to the staff still, and did not realise that the same waiter had been paying attention to the group, and himself in particular) showed them to a more private area of the dining car, he was about to request a glass, when the young man appeared to have mistaken his identity. "I-I'm afraid you must be mistak-" he stammered, his remonstrations cut short by the sudden outburst of song from the waiter.

Well, that certainly garnered his attention.

Arthur gapes at the young man, looking directly at the waiter for the first time. "You very much have me mistaken, I'm afraid. Music Hall is not a style I'm familiar with, or, indeed, an aficionado of, I'm afraid. Opera is much more my bag..." As he spoke, he could feel his own cheeks reddening, in much the same way as the erstwhile singer's had. At a loss of further words, he stammers again: "I-I, I say, I-" he began, only to be interrupted by a (most very welcome) outburst from Hetty. Simply nodding his agreement with her every word, he had been struck dumb by the impertinence of the waiter, the effrontery of the musical outburst, and, he realises, the young man's rather good looks. It's difficult to say which of the three had him blushing and tongue-tied more. A weird admixture of repulsion and desire drew lines in the battleground of his mind, bringing to thought the trenches of the Somme, the fear, exhilaration, enmity, and the close contact with one's comrades, ready to die at any minute.

Playing: Arthur Henry Vane "Milly" Millington-Fairbanks; Haf, Lightbearer; Prepping: Shadowdark / Stonehell: PM if interested
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 08:17 AM
Busy Bee

Tools
User Statistics
Mei Li

Mei took in the sights and sounds and smells of the busy dining car. She ghosted between the various self-contained spheres of babbling conversations, also paying attention to the staff. She had previously served as a waitress, and so did take notice of them, perhaps more than some of her more aristocratic colleagues.

But nothing of note caught her attention.

Until she saw him.

Mei halted and focused her senses. She deduced small details... the expensive tailored suit, not such a surprise given their location, the women attendants. What were they doing? They spoke in a language unfamiliar to Mei, she thought perhaps Turkish. She snatched a glance at numbers being written.

Mei froze when the handsome enigma looked directly at her, nodded and smiled. She shifted her weight from one foot to the other, nervously. She knew she had been spotted and bit her tongue with a mixture of fright and frustration with her own sloppiness. The look lasted only a moment, then he carried on with what he was doing.

There were two ways to deal with this, Mei decided. Retreat and report to the others. Or try to find out a little more. She worried that it may be nothing; a simple shared look between strangers on a mutual voyage. She did not want to unduly alarm the team as her first significant action on her first assignment.

But he did really seem familiar. Mei despaired as the recognition danced tantalising, just beyond the grasp of her memory.

It is a crowded dining car, there can be little danger in simply talking to him?

Mei took a deep breath, and approached.

"Excuse me, Sir," she began, haltingly. "I am very sorry to disturb your business. I am a stranger in these parts. I wondered if you could help me with ordering drinks."

OOCI think a "charm" roll may be in order. See the rolling thread!

Old Sep 15th, 2022, 04:48 PM
CallHill Minion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14079
Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson Warson
A Man of Interest
left-aligned image
Jimmy Mott
The Jimmy that existed before the mutilation and murder of Ale Hiltunen would have found some pleasure in the reactions of those in his party at the overly formal way that their waiter had approached and engaged them. But not the Jimmy that sat within the splendid and impressive Simplon Orient Express. No, things were different now. Now, Jimmy just listened, observed. There was a time to act in the play and there was a time when the play did not exist, when it had shut down for the night. Now was one of those latter times.

Jimmy leaned over to whisper something into Nikka's ear as he watched Mei Li watch someone else: A man with a neat disposition and appearance speaking with two women at the other side of the dining car. Jimmy's eyes opened a bit wider before he whispered again to the other man who had seen Ale die. He then straightened himself and took a few steps toward the beautiful Mei. Just as he came within two feet of her and began to speak, Mei stepped forward and toward the good looking man and his two female companions. Jimmy stopped, looked, and cursed himself for missing an opportunity to tell the young lady just how observant he was.

"Most definitely a Turk," he said quietly to himself as he watched Mei begin a conversation with the man. "Most definitely." He turned his head to look back at Nikka and then raised his eyebrows just a bit in order to say what he wanted Nikka to hear.

Old Sep 18th, 2022, 06:38 AM
... in his element!

Tools
User Statistics
right-aligned image

”Well it seems our friends have decided to mingle with the locals.” Henrietta said as she saw Mei and Jimmy hob-nobbing back in the bar car ”No sense in us just hiding away in here, shall we?” and Henrietta gestured to Milly to rejoin the throng next door.

Back in the carriage with the bar, Henrietta took in the crowd with a practiced eye. Dismissing the trade-types whose lives would be too full of devoirs to have anything interesting to say about their first destination, Paris. Instead, she sought that distinctive Parisian arrogance and dismissiveness – there were a few. From them she sought the finer cut of dress; not the latest fashion, but the savoir-faire of a well-cut suit or dress. There! Nobility or she’d be a monkey’s aunt.

”Bonjour …” she said ”Please excuse my English, but I’m afraid we’ve always been less cosmopolitan than the denizens of your fine capital …” Henrietta smile her best and added ”Henrietta Smythe-Porter, would you mind if I sat a while? The movement of these cars quite tests ones calves don’t you think?” she gestured at the free chair at their table

ooc
That’s 57 vs 24 charm – so suspect Henrietta is going to get the Parisian brush-off!

Old Sep 18th, 2022, 09:01 AM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 49942
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Masataka 'Nikka' Taketsuru
left-aligned image
Nikka blushed in embarrassment at the waiter’s overdone performance. He did not understand its purpose… barely understood who it was directed at… something concerning music and overall he found it very distasteful. He stared out the window of the car and took a deep breath as he felt his hands clenching into tight fists. He knew he needed to relax… to accept what would come and not live in fear but the simple act of a singing waiter had set the Japanese man completely on edge.

Masataka needed to relax and because of this he forced himself to let Mei walk off alone. He would have insisted that the investigators stay in pairs… for safety reasons of course, but no… Mei left on her own and Nikka returned his attention to the world outside the train… until he was physically nudged by James leaning in close to him.

Nikka turned and scowled at the man, never a fan of having his personal space invaded. “Mr. Mott, If you would refrain from…” Nikka started to protest before his voice died away as he followed Jame’s eyes and he saw Mei speaking with a stranger.

Nikka shrugged his shoulders at James, not understanding the significance… until he saw James lift his eyebrow. Nikka shrunk into his seat at the realization that danger might had already found the group… and there was Mei… oblivious.

Nikka stood, his hand in his pocket gripping his pistol as he took a step towards Mei. “Don’t just stand there James!” Nikka hissed as he slowly made his way through the car.

Oocfailed listen check 47 over 40

OOC

Last edited by Begon Ugo; Sep 18th, 2022 at 09:03 AM.
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 01:51 PM
Overlord of Imagination

Tools
User Statistics
Les Fleurs Du Mal
Calais to Paris

The odd singing waiter was quickly left behind, a mystery to be solved at a later date. After a few moments recovering, the group noticed Mei had wandered back into the breakfast & brunch car. She seemed to have found the attention of a handsome Turkish man and his two secretaries. Jimmy stood up and saw the young woman speak silently to the businessman as he viewed her through the glass window in the door between cars.

A rush of air and the clack of tracks greeted Jimmy and the rest while they moved from one car to the next. When they entered the busy dining car, the sound of guests, plates and silverware greeted them, making discerning the posh businessman and Mei's conversation impossible.

"Excuse me, Sir, I am very sorry to disturb your business. I am a stranger in these parts. I wondered if you could help me with ordering drinks."
The Turkish man stopped his dictation to his secretaries, and looked over to Mei. Without a bit of shame, the man looked Mei up and down. He was clearly appraising her.

"Ask a waiter, my dear. I have no time for you," the Turkish man turned back to his secretaries and started his dictation yet again. He looked back at Mei for an instant, and his look spoke volumes. Go away. You are beneath me. The Turk pulled up a newspaper that appeared to be in French and shortly thereafter the sound of a lighter could be heard followed by smoke. A voice came from the corner seat.

"Miss Liszt, see this woman away," spoke the man from behind Le Temps.

"Mr. Mahtuk, KERIM MAHTUK, has no time for you. Please bother him no more. His time is worth more than you can possibly imagine."

Henrietta
left-aligned image
Henrietta boldly stepped forward and tried to make some conversation with a French family. She received a cold reception, the father shaking his head 'no,' and the mother turning back towards her child. The British woman sensed some tension between the two parents, and the table went silent. Her Ladyship was going to have to double down if she wanted anything from these French folks.

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited by Bluejack; Sep 20th, 2022 at 02:57 PM.