Old Apr 21st, 2024, 11:47 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Greypsychman Greypsychman
New to this site

Hi,

I am sorry if this is a re-post but I didn't see the original on the forum.

My username is Greypsychman and I am new to this site but not gaming. I began playing table top wargames in 1975. Then I got into D&D (the original small white box that I believe had 3 small books in it). Over the years I have played various editions of D&D, Boot Hill, original Traveller, Mech Warrior, Warhammer 40K, Firefly/Serenity, Twilight 2000, Pendragon, Squad Leader, Sniper, and a variety of other games.

I have done play by post role playing on other online websites, including the old yahoo groups website.

I am hoping to find something here to get involved in.
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 11:13 AM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 74377
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Hi, Greypsychman! It looks like two posts might have gone through, but we can eliminate one, no problem! The important thing is you are here and posting ... and we are excited to have you join us! A '75er, eh? Wow ... that's an impressive amount of gaming. So what RPG do you want to try out first here?
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 11:51 AM
GMing in Rome and Gareth.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5888
Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin
Welcome Greypsychman. What kind of games have you played and what kind of games are you interested to get involved in here?
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 02:27 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I am thinking that I would be leaning toward the Serenity/Firefly rpg. I like it for the the western feel at the same time it is Sci Fi. Another RPG setting I would be interested in would be A Song of ice and Fire (ASOIF)/ Game of Thrones.

What is the posting rate? I am usually lucky to post about twice a week or maybe three times if I am lucky.
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 02:40 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4502
Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun
ill discuss a solo serenity/firefly with you!
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 05:34 PM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20171
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Howdy Greypsychman,

It appears you and I are of an age. I actually started playing just before D&D came out in the white box, back when it was still an appendix to a game called Chainmail and I've gone through all the iterations, although I never played 4 because I just didn't like it. I've played a bunch of other games too, including Traveller, Warhammer, Twilight 2000, and Pendragon, which is an awesome RPG. Have you ever played L5R? I'm also a bit of a grognard.

Tell us a bit more about yourself. We have a whole host of different RPG systems for you to try out. How about genre, do you prefer high magic, low magic, historical fiction, high tech, horror, sci fi/future tech etc.? Do you have a favorite character class, race? Do you know how much wood a woodchuck chucks, if a woodchuck, could chuck wood?

There are a lot of choices for various RPG systems here, although PF and D&D are the two most common. We have quite a few games with very long legs here. In fact, I talk about one below. As a new member, you may want to check out a solo game. This will help you learn the site tools, since each site is a bit different.

As far as finding games goes, try here. This is where there are games seeking players. It can be a bit daunting but don't give up. It may take a few applications before you get accepted...but it's worth it once you're in. This is a great place to scratch your RPG itch and interact with some great DMs and players. There is some incredible role playing going on here. I thought I was a pretty good story teller, but I have been put to shame by the quality of many of the players...and I have learned a lot.

This is a place where the people are welcoming, where the games are interesting, and where generally they only expect you to post a few times a week. I've been playing D&D for a very long time and I thought I've seen it all, but this site has some amazing games going on. I've been playing (storytelling as much as rolling) for a few years now in a game that has been going on continuously for four decades, started tabletop and moved online two decades ago. It's set in an alternate Europe where the worlds of Tolkien and Howard existed in ages past. So there is a hint of LOTR and a hint of Conan in it and since it's set in an alt Europe it somehow feels familiar.

This is just one example and there are other great campaigns on RPGX. You should take some time to "stroll around" the site and see if anything catches your eye.

I hope to see you around on the boards.
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 06:28 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 90089
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
welcome!

glad you took time to join us, and brought your experience with you. Wow, you go back a long time (probably to the grognard era with a couple of us). I hope you find lots of things here to get involved with... we love imaginations!

Happy gaming!
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 02:16 AM
very preem, choom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2902
Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy
Hey, Greypsychman, welcome to the community. This sounds like the perfect place to get into a bunch of those games. Hats off to you being a white box DnDer, I myself was introduced to it after 3.5. See you in the RPs!
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 12:14 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 320
NostraDomus NostraDomus NostraDomus NostraDomus
Welcome! I’m new too. I hope to see you around the site! It looks like we have a few games and interests in common; Traveller, Mech Warrior, Firefly. Maybe we’ll play in the a few of the same games together.
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 05:31 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
When it comes to types of games: In fantasy settings I prefer no or low magic. In fact, I don't believe in all my years of playing I have ever ran a magic user. I stick to fighters or barbarians; in the science fiction settings I prefer no or low psionics; in mitary style games I generally go for cavalry, armor, or mechanized over straight infantry, or ground pounders over fly boys. I guess it's because I was a tanker when I served in the army.

In answer to Woodchucks, I guess it would be about the same as if Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, how many pickled peppers did Peter Piper pick?

I am not sure how messaging works. Do I have a message inbox where I should look for messages people send or just stick to this thread?
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 06:28 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 90089
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
when you get past your newbie status (get 4 or 5 posts, and let the system cycle once), you can message people directly via the Send PM button (upper right, under Tools), but generally, 99% of things are done via threads.

Or maybe less than 99%, what do I know, if people are PMing directly, I don't don't run stats on that.
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 11:54 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Thank for filling me in. I hope that I get past the newbie status soon. Are solo games kind of a one shot run through so you get used to the system?
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 10:17 AM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 54060
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Welcome to the site, Greypsychman!

Your game list looks familiar! I've played Boot Hill, and I took a group through about 30 years of Pendragon, and loved it! I'm glad you're here. Enjoy poking around the forums and the drop-down menus. You can take a look at all the games currently recruiting in the Games Seeking Players forum, and it's sometimes fun to check out "Today's Posts" under the Tools menu just to get a feel for what's happening around the site.

Let us know if you have questions! You've found a warm, supportive community here, and we want you to feel welcome.

-LC
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 10:33 AM
Beyond the Veil

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3890
Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One Drifter One
We got one! Got another oldie!!!

Actually, most of us are oldies...

Welcome to the wrinkly-but-roleplay-to-be-young-again club!
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 12:05 PM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20171
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
I was in the infantry when I started before I went MI. How long were you in? Also, if you go to thread tools, near the top on the right, you have an option of subscribe to this thread and you can receive notifications. This works on any thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greypsychman View Post
When it comes to types of games: In fantasy settings I prefer no or low magic. In fact, I don't believe in all my years of playing I have ever ran a magic user. I stick to fighters or barbarians; in the science fiction settings I prefer no or low psionics; in mitary style games I generally go for cavalry, armor, or mechanized over straight infantry, or ground pounders over fly boys. I guess it's because I was a tanker when I served in the army.

In answer to Woodchucks, I guess it would be about the same as if Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, how many pickled peppers did Peter Piper pick?

I am not sure how messaging works. Do I have a message inbox where I should look for messages people send or just stick to this thread?

Last edited by Ildrahil; Apr 24th, 2024 at 12:09 PM.