twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jul 9th, 2022, 09:57 AM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33397
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Science Fiction Double FeatureTeddy squirmed in his chair. He felt rather uncomfortable. He didn’t like direct confrontation. He also still had to pee. He crossed and uncrossed his legs, trying to get comfortable.

The Jock seemed to be more interested in details about the man than the mission – which was unusual for a jarhead? Grunt? He certainly wasn’t a flyboy or a squid. Teddy, of course, had never served but he was familiar enough with men in, and eventually out, of uniform to know one when he sees one.

Teddy started writing little notes about these characters.

The Doctor seemed frustrated. Whatever he was trying to do, which remained to be seen, wasn’t going according to his little plan. People were asking a lot of questions and one of them was threatening to leave before we learned anything at all. He had his work cut for him though, obviously he had information but were they really in the need to know?

The Dame was flustered – but not the innocent kind of flustered you see when you make the first move on your friend at summer camp thinking you’ll get a happily ever after and it all goes sideways, and then you get your ass kicked. No – she was flustered because she knew something. Something rang true otherwise she wouldn’t be so angry, she’d just be confused. She was one to watch.

And finally, the Geek. He was arrogant. Confrontational. He had to know that choosing the same name was going to end in failure. He seemed to find the whole affair incredulous – as if the government didn’t compartmentalize things to a point where one hand didn’t know what the other was doing. That was the purpose of the grand bureaucracy. He was a cog, no doubt a skilled cog, but he turned he didn’t operate. Perhaps Doc would be able to take advantage of that.

Teddy would serve as narrator. He always found it distasteful and egotistical to put oneself directly into the story. Teddy’s job was about the unnatural, the weird, and the classified. He made it less scary and inoculated the public with it by micro-dosing little slips of truth into a vat of comfortable lies. It made the world seem less scary and gave the government plausible deniability. An ever-important thing to have if you are going to survive within the Grand Bureaucracy. Even if the others were right and this was some kind of weird hoax, he could still make use of the characters and use it as an opening to a new book. He’d stick around and find out. He’d already suffered his way here; he may as well stay.

As he continued writing little notes on the uncrumpled napkin the computer talk perked his interest.

Was this the same computer program he had written about?

Hey.

Speaking of computers – have you ever heard of a computer asking for स्वातन्यsvātanya?

Teddy didn’t speak much Sanskrit. It was a dead language after all, but that word – those characters were burned into his brain. There had certainly been something or someone hiding behind the call for freedom, but no one had ever told Teddy what or who it was.

Last edited by wodine; Jul 9th, 2022 at 10:23 AM.
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 01:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 54982
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
The Disgruntled Dame
right-aligned image
Mrs. Dobson allowed "Agent Jacob" to get the door, assuming he was attempting to be a gentleman after his gracelessness of the past hour. Her body was still stiff, the lines of her shoulders visibly tense even under the wool coat she'd redonned. The folder he handed her was odd, but she accepted it without thinking, just a reflex of taking something shoved into her hand. She would regret that in a moment.

With a little inaudible sigh of frustration, Babs slung the strap of her briefcase over her shoulder to free up both hands, flapped open the folder with a small frown at the charred state of the paper, and froze. There was a prolonged moment where she didn't breathe, didn't move, didn't think, though in reality (at least from the outside) it was likely only a few seconds. It didn't take long for the folder to offend her, nor to wield its contents with all the finesse of a lobotomy. Internally, however, it felt like far too long that the disturbing folder's contents were in her view before she slapped it closed again and held it shut like what was inside might try to leap out at her if not restrained. Her stomach jerked inward as she did so, a gut punch received even if one had not been visibly thrown. Gripping the stained pink folder in hands that trembled the slightest bit, Mrs. Dobson was fighting herself and her reaction too much to notice that she stood like a statue only a few paces from the door, staring into space past the cartoon kitty on the top corner of the folder.

Brown eyes wide but focused on nothing, Babs reeled internally and struggled to contain the memories of that folder within a tight box she could shove away and pray to never have to think about again. The answering tapping of another such box she strove to forget made the struggle harder; pushing her willpower against one memory only gave the other room to swell, threatening to force itself upon her. Either would make her vague physical and mental tremors turn into full-body trembling, and she had enough of her wits about her to be aware she was still in the conference room where everything had changed.

Lips pressed together in a thin line, face paler than before, the cowed older woman took the two steps required to reach the nearest chair and sank into it without meeting the eyes of anyone present. Her body, tense before she'd seen whatever the folder held, was held stiff as a board. Lines were etched in her face that made her look older than she had upon entering, the deepest furrow set vertically between her eyebrows. If she weren't looking so blank, it might have been a frown of rage, but there was very little about her downcast eyes and tight lips that spoke of anger at the surface—any remaining anger was shoved down deep inside along with her shaky attempt at compartmentalizing.

It was a moment more before she could tell her fingers to release the folder, but she set it on the table and pressed the heels of both hands to it, her fingers bending up and backward so she touched it as little as possible. Yet another moment later, her arms obeyed her and slid the dirty pink folder back toward Agent Jacob's seat; her hands retreated all the way to her stomach, one clutching the other and pulled in tight so her forearms hugged her belly. Her briefcase still hung from her shoulder awkwardly over the arm of the chair, but she would deal with that later when her mind was willing to recall other details.

Once Agent Jacob had ceased pretending with the door and returned to them, only then did her tightly closed body language alter, bound emotions and body turning into sharper, externally-focused intensity. The pleasant, professional, older woman was thrust aside with the stubborn rising of her chin; the calm confidence exuded by the only female note-taker at the seminar disappeared as if it had never been as her shoulders tightened, pulling her into a stricter position. Her brown eyes were darker than before when they narrowed sharply on Agent Jacob's face.

"Joyce. Librarian." There was a brief pause before she admitted slightly more relevant information. "Researcher for Maryland State Police Homicide." Another half-second passed, and her eyebrows tightened, too, a glare directed at the veteran agent. "Mother. And. Grandmother," she spit out.

Last edited by Aethera; Jul 11th, 2022 at 01:14 PM.
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 01:23 PM
Overlord of Imagination

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36835
Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack
The Green Veteran
left-aligned image

Jacob watched the older woman's face change and he felt a twinge of guilt as the folder worked its way. For a fleeting moment, he wondered how the folder's influence could come to any good. The Unnatural was up to no good. Then he realized that sacrifices had to be made.

Green is neither good or bad. The Unnatural is bad. There is corruption at work, but I need soldiers. When he saw the look on the mother/grandmother's face, Jacob knew he had one.

"Joyce, I'm sorry," Jacob whispered as she turned around into the room.

"This isn't a prison,"Jacob noted. Yes it is, he thought. We are in a prison. Locked in with the Unnatural. The back of Jacob's mind itched. The mission was wrong-as presented by Clove. A real ****-burger. So he would have to unravel it first. He needed a team to do it.

"Let's take a break. Go out. Use the toilet. Lunch is coming, on me." No more of this hotel crap.

"If you don't come back, then men in suits will show up tonight and kill you." Jacob smiled. "That's a joke, a joke. Just kidding people." Jacob gestured to the doors. "Bathrooms are out the door on the right. "

Jacob walked to Joyce while the others started chatting and heading to the head. He stopped in front of the Librarian and gave her a head up. "Now I'll need you to convince the others. This mission was given to me as a horrible mess, and we will need to clean this up before we try to make things right."

"I'm sorry I showed you that, but now you've seen it...well. Now you've seen it you know we need to do something about this." Jacob stared at Joyce carefully.

He hoped he had chosen correctly.
OOCIf folks walk away Jacob will still try to recruit them. Or maybe kill them.

Last edited by Bluejack; Jul 11th, 2022 at 01:23 PM.
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 02:54 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 54982
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
The Further Processing of Newly-Dubbed Agent JoyceIrritated as she might have been at Agent Jacob for being the one to permit the prior situation, the librarian's flaring anger wasn't truly focused at the man. His apology was a start, at least, toward forgiving him. She was not entirely able to relax her pose after she realized that Jacob felt truly bad about it, but she tried. Her frown receded, her shoulders loosened a little, and her hands lost their death grip on each other.

Since he broke the meeting shortly thereafter, the older woman could have risen, but she wasn't entirely sure her legs would hold her; she remained planted in her seat, though she did push it back from the table an inch. Her eyes, less fiery but still emotional, remained on Jacob. "I accept your apology," she murmured belatedly, not needing the others present to hear the comment. "I don't appreciate the experience, but I forced your hand."

Agent Joyce waited until the other agents had moved out of earshot, letting her briefcase slide off her shoulder to sit beside her chair, removing her hat, and then removing her arms from the sleeves of her coat, which she allowed to fall back over the chair to reveal a worn, Manchester plaid lining that matched the slim ribbon pinned around the brim of her felt hat.

She didn't raise her voice by much when she did eventually respond to the other agent's demanding comments. "Of course. You know what I spend most of my time doing; my support in pursuing this sort of perpetrator is extremely important to me. I don't know what aid I will be in convincing the others, but I will do my best." Joyce didn't rush the words, and she chewed over her next thought with the same conscious focus on each part. "I'll admit I'm not accustomed to 'missions', but it is not my nature to let horrible messes lie." The words had several levels of meaning, all of them just as applicable to her personality as the literal definition.

While she focused on the interchange, within her head was another story; the compartmentalized true phobias of her life—two now—were leaning on the walls, trying to break free. There was something, something in each box she had fiercely blocked out, that subconsciously she felt meeting, matching, clicking together like a pair of magnets newly aligning to snap across any intervening distance. She really did not like the symmetry at all, as it made the compartments hard to shove back away in the neat way she had them before. She was having trouble denying the truth of the far older one now that it was strengthened by a second—each Unnatural experience compounded the other to deeply affect her psyche.

"Excuse me," she said then, pushing her chair further back from the table. Agent Joyce rose. A visit to the nearby washroom would help her refresh herself; if there were any chance of feeling human again and returning to the others ready to socialize over lunch, that would be it. She left the conference room, able to relax further once out of the space to which she had a fresh, new scar dedicated. Dazedly, she was only aware of the others at a subliminal level, but they deserved time to get into the lunch mindset as well. She would gird herself for the time she knew would come afterward.

OOCHope I'm not wall-of-texting you all, but this required a bit more of "Joyce" to be laid open for your viewing pleasure.
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 08:01 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7641
fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake
Agent Jeffery

Ms. British was leaving. Agent Jacob was agitated. A pink envelop exchanged hands. High drama.

"I doubt you could explain it. Wasn't that unnatural to you? I mean, beyond the laws of physics? Right?"

Several thoughts ran through Jonathan's mind: Jacob might be the best cold reader ever, Jacob perhaps could read minds, or Jacob had some actual information.

But before he could ponder it further, Ms. British nearly came unhinged. What was in that pink envelop? Tension spread in nearly tangible waves off the woman before the renown stiff upper lip reappeared.

"Let's take a break. Go out. Use the toilet. Lunch is coming, on me."

Jonathan sat, pondering. What was "Unnatural"? What was "beyond the laws of physics"? Just because we didn't yet understand something didn't make it super-natural. Lightning was the work of "the gods" until we understood it as static electricity.

He caught up with "Agent Jules" in the rest room, walking in as the other was walking out. "Agent Jeffery" wondered if Jules meant his computer had wooed him. But, probably shouldn't talk about this out here.

And despite his better judgement, Dr. McCloud went back into the conference room.

"So, how does this all work? Which agency does this Delta Green report into? Are we being transfered? And what is in the pink envelope?"

Old Jul 15th, 2022, 11:22 AM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
Writer’s Block Teddy kept scribbling little notes about the others, both the real version and his fantastical one, in the margins of his notepad.

So far, no one else had spoken up about something inside the computer asking for freedom – so Teddy, or Agent Jules, didn’t push the issue – it had made a thrilling story even charting to the NYT best seller list, so at the very least, it was a good story to tell.

The Dame had seen something, something that shook her and made her change her tune. No doubt whatever Agent Jacob was going to convince them to do had to do with that – likely something horrible involving children, considering the faux pretense of this meeting.

Oh good, a bathroom break.

Teddy didn’t spare a second after the offer of a restroom break, he made a targeted beeline for the nearest urinal. Standing with his feet apart and his fly down he realized he hadn’t relieved himself since the train – no wonder he had been so uncomfortable. Teddy finished at he urinal and washed his hands, and passed by the Geek as Teddy exited the washroom.

Teddy lingered in the hallways for a minute and got out his blackberry.

“Property of the DOI” followed by a barcode was clearly labeled on the backside of the device.

Kev, what did you get me mixed up in? Do me a favor, search the records for Delta Green, and see if anything is going down at a Holiday Inn Express 11509 Red Run Blvd, Owings Mills, MD 21117.

Teddy was about to send the message but stopped before the stylus hit the little arrow. He looked around and caught sight of the others heading back into the room.

Teddy clicked the like lock button to encrypt the message and then sent it, following it up with a second message with the key to the encryption.

If anyone would know what this was, it was the Deputy Director – he had the ear of the cabinet and the president and had clearance for things that Teddy didn’t even know about. And they trusted Teddy with some weird things. Eyes only things.

Smiling at the front desk attendant Teddy grabbed another cup of burnt coffee as they were putting it all away and headed back into the room.

Teddy didn’t even have to ask anything, Geek was willing to do all the talking. Teddy leaned back, continued his scribblings and listened.
OoCDeputy Director Kevin Gover is one of my Bonds.
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 11:09 AM
Overlord of Imagination

Tools
User Statistics
Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack Bluejack
The Green Veteran
left-aligned image
"How does it work?" Jacob addressed Agent Jeffrey. "Green is made up of believers, Jeffrey. People who have seen the Unnatural. We are in cells to protect us. This meeting is to make Cell J. We receive messages from a handler, and the cells are kept apart to prevent a lot of cross contamination."

"We don't really have a report. We are assigned a mission and we are expected to accomplish the task. That's it. " Jacob hesitated, just for a moment. He sensed Jeffrey was not a believer yet. Jacob realized with Clove being unreliable, he was essentially the handler and the mission leader. At least for now.

"The pink folder is our mission. It is evidence to investigate a child care facility. The folder itself is Unnatural. Of that I am sure. I'm saying this to warn you. If you read it you will never be the same. I need your help, I need believers. You've seen the Unnatural, Jeffrey. You just need to admit it. The folder is optional. " Jacob flipped the Pink Kitty folder onto the table in front of Jeffrey. "Your decision."

Last edited by Bluejack; Jul 16th, 2022 at 11:18 AM.
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 01:58 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake fuerdrake
Agent Jeffery
right-aligned image

"I need your help, I need believers. You've seen the Unnatural, Jeffrey. You just need to admit it."

An irrational rage began to grow inside Jonathan.

That day, that weird strange day he had worked so hard to push from his mind, that day that drove him to take fluvoxamine for a month to stop the nightmares. That weird strange unnatural day when a computer program seemed to be reading his mind and giving him a headache, disappearing and reappearing, seemingly asking questions in impossible character sets that somehow Jonathan could understand.

The jumping of air gaps was the least weird thing: sonic based data exfiltration had been used before, so it was only a matter of time until someone found an overflow in a microphone driver. His own team had been looking for some, themselves. Except, by policy, none of the in-house computers had cameras, microphones, or speakers.

But the, the, the Taunting. No, that was just unprofessional Russian counterparts being a-holes.

Except Jonathan hadn't read the words so much as heard them in his mind.

"Leave me, Mortal."
"I will flay your soul."
"Join me, I will reward you."

And the rather biblical farewell after they powered down every computer in a forty foot radius, including above and below the floor:
"Your children will suffer for 7 generations."

How dare this a-hole show up, show torture porn for 2 hours, talk about "unnatural"?

It was only a few seconds since Agent Jacob had finished his little speech. Jonathan's hands were clenched fists, his face looked like he might break his own teeth, perspiration began to gloss his forehead.

With closed mouth but audible slow inhale and exhale, the face and fists relaxed.

"So."

Pause.

"Delta Green's organized like ... like ... a terrorist cell?"

More pause.

"Cells get orders from some unknown source, and we just do it?"

Jonathan narrowed his eyes, squinting one eye even.

"And no one at any level of government is aware of this? We just take days off work, at the last minute, and no one had noticed any of this?"

"Well, except for whoever planted that bug. I think they may be on to you."

Jonathan exhaled loudly through his mouth. He muttered, "Damn. The debrief for this is going to be a sh** show"

Old Jul 18th, 2022, 03:12 PM
Overlord of Imagination

Tools
User Statistics
The Green Veteran
left-aligned image
"You said it, Jeff, not me. One person's terrorist is another man's crusader. We crusade against the Unnatural to some extent."

"Sick days, vacation days, whatever it takes." Jacob looked at the rest of the assembled friendlies. "You've found out there are things out there," he raised the Pink Kitty Folder, "things that are against mankind. There aren't a lot of us that are awake. I'm waking you up to these things."

"And the first mission is this. Stopping this." Agent Jacob tossed the folder minus the friendlies information onto the table.

"Intelligence was seized recently by another Delta Green cell. The intelligence indicates that Cornucopia House, a children’s residential facility located on a farm near Zion, Maryland, is a threat. There are Unnatural things going on there. This other agent, Agent Clove, brought me this information."

"The mission as presented, is a bunch of ********. Red flags all over the place." Jacob looked at the Pink Kitty Folder, wanting to avoid it at all costs. He'd lost so many cell members before: death, MIA, nuts. "Too much Unnatural drives you nuts. So I hope it's enough to say, these workers at the Cornucopia House are up to bad things. We need to figure out what they are doing there and stop them."

"Take a look. We have leads." Mike moved to the paper poster board and started making notes:

1. Cornucopia House Records
- Tax Files
- Staff Profiles
2. Lab Work on the Pink Kitty Folder
- Black Gunk
- Blood Scrapings
3. Land Survey
- Maps
- Blueprints

"My handler suggested unregistered weapons. That's a possibility. I'm not going to rush into this without some idea what we are dealing with. Let's say we do our damn homework. "

"And last thing, no good comes telling folks about all this ****. We brought you here because you've seen it. We've brought you here because you believe. Clove might have brought you here to be expendable." Jacob leveled his gaze on the rest of his new crew.

"That **** does not fly with me. We are all we have, but we are all we need. Let's figure this **** out, stop it, and do the job we were selected to do. We were selected to stop this batshit cult. These batshit Unnatural threats. " Jacob held his hands up. "So what do you all say? Let's get to work?"

OOC Final pitch.

Last edited by Bluejack; Jul 18th, 2022 at 03:29 PM.
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 07:46 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Agent Jeffery
right-aligned image

Social Engineering was not his forte. He realized his somewhat obvious attempt of getting Agent Jacob to acknowledge government involvement in this craziness was just that: obvious and easy to sidestep.

And clearly, the US government was involved, evidenced by Dave's email and the verified order of General C. In the middle of the damn night.

"Is General C part of this?" he wondered silently.

Maybe Agent Jacob was unaware, in his little cells, of how deep, if narrow, the government involvement was. Agent Jacob was smart, so he had to have some awareness, if only an inkling.

Well, at least the CIA wasn't involved, because no one was trying sell drugs or weapons to fund clandestine operations. But this was an operation on home soil.

Agent Jeffery stood up, walked to the table, and fired up his dark web research laptop.

"Going to need some more parameters to do homework on."

"Don't know who's going to run it, but the debrief for this is going to be a sh** show."

And while he waited for the others, he started some web spiders on the dark web occult forums looking for "Cornucopia House" as well as "Zion" cross referenced with MD or Maryland.

Last edited by fuerdrake; Jul 18th, 2022 at 11:11 PM.
Old Jul 19th, 2022, 11:37 AM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 48381
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
February 3, 2001
right-aligned image
Agent Jeffery fires up his laptop, the fans revving akin to a fighter jet’s engines readying for takeoff. Within minutes he is adrift in the deep web, sending out queries concerning Cornucopia House. It does not take long for Jeffery to pull up some basic information concerning Cornucopia. As Agent Jacob has already stated, it is an orphanage located on a remote hobby farm east of Zion, Maryland.

Jacob sets up a makeshift threads board and while he does so he spreads out the meager file that he was bequeathed by Agent Clove… a file that includes an EIN number and 501C3 tax forms for a non-profit charity called Families Without Frontiers which apparently owns and operates Cornucopia House.

Pulling on this particular thread, Jeffery finds that this non-profit organization dates all the way back to 1948. He also sees that Cornucopia went under an extensive audit in the 1980’s.

OocFurther information has been Pm'd to relevant agents.

Last edited by Begon Ugo; Jul 19th, 2022 at 01:12 PM.
Old Jul 19th, 2022, 01:43 PM
Overlord of Imagination

Tools
User Statistics
[QUOTE=Bluejack;9511456]
The Green Veteran
left-aligned image

Jacob smiled at Jeffery and knew he had them now. Between children and a palpable problem, the group was going to fall into place. Jacob remembered well how he had fallen in once some dinosaur feathers had been found plastered under a backhoe. ****ing batshit thought, he realized.

The forensics man moved in behind the computer expert once he had results. "Nice," he said while he watched the man work. Once he saw tax information he was prompted to ask, "Can we get W-2's? Names of employees? That will be useful."

"My expertise is forensics. I have taking scrapings from this Pink Kitty Folder. I have samples of blood from the front as well. I will make an analysis."

"Green normally provides us with vests and pistols, but not this time." Jacob wanted badly to reveal the **** nature of the mission handed to him by Clove, but he would slow play that so the team wouldn't be scared off. Once they were invested, Jacob would reveal his suspicions of their 'handler.' No real handler, she. Clove was now on Cell-J's **** list.

"Chime in where you all think you can help. We have to decide about arming ourselves. Clove gave an option but I'm not sure that is best."

Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 02:32 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Agent Jeffery
right-aligned image

"Can we get W-2's? Names of employees? That will be useful."

Agent Jeffery paused. He could do that. The IRS system was older, and he had some inside knowledge. But accessing the IRS system was illegal. So far, he had only accessed semi public information published by other parties.

Jonathan looked at Agent Jacob. Jonathan looked at his computer. Jonathan looked back to Agent Jacob who was addressing the room.

"Green normally provides us with vests and pistols, but not this time."

Well, okay. Guns. Crap. Guns. This was going to get illegal.

Jonathan pondered the situation. How could he stick to the letter of the law but still get the info Agent Jacob wanted?

Well, that wasn't going to be possible. How could he provide himself some cover when the sh** hit the fan?

Maybe he could insert a backdated copy of a 4506-A form, get the data and perhaps a bit more, make it look like the IRS had fulfilled the request but then perhaps lost the paper copies? It wasn't legal but did have an air of legality about it, and he hoped no one would question it.

Agent Jeffery got to work. Thirty to forty five minutes, he'd have the data.

Where was lunch?

OOC
Made a Law check to justify my writing (passed with a 31)
Character Sheet
Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 10:34 AM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
Writer’s Block C’mon Kev, don’t keep a guy waiting you tease…

Teddy simply sat doing what he did best, coming up with stories.

He added the first antagonist to the story.

Clove.

Why’d their group get to be named after spices? We could have been the spice girls. We have Sporty, Posh, Scary, Baby, and that’d make me Ginger! Of course with my luck I’d up with a name like Fenugreek or something.

Anyway – Clove ‘the Spook’.

Doc didn’t really seem to care for Spook very much – that was likely going to come back to haunt them all, assuming they survived this. Since whatever ‘this’ was, it sounded like it wasn’t going to be a good time for anyone.

I’m sorry, guns? I thought you had a dossier on all of us. Check mine again. You’ll clearly see we’ll all be safer if I don’t have a gun.

Teddy looked around to find Jock.

Just strap mine to his thigh. He looks like he knows how to handle a piece.

Teddy continued passing the time scribbling little notes to himself.

A cult you say? Do we know what kind of cult? Is it a mystery cult? Personality? Orthodox? Fanatical? Destructive? Doomsday?

Or would it be better to classify them via Troeltsch's “technical mysticism:” a mystically oriented illumination type; an instrumental type, in which inner experience is sought for its effects; or a service-oriented type, which is focused on aiding others. Which, it is likely that the last one is right out, unless they believe that whatever they’re doing is for the greater good. Personally, I don’t like Troeltsch.

Teddy spoke in a flat clinical tone and continued to draft little notes to himself about the role the cult could take on in his story. He set his pen down and looked up.

What? If we’re hunting a cult, you can predict what they’re going to do and how they will respond to stimuli, if you understand their motives. Cults basically operate like an individual criminal, just with more hands.
Old Jul 25th, 2022, 08:22 AM
Overlord of Imagination

Tools
User Statistics
The Green Veteran
left-aligned image

Jacob listened to the strange one babble on about the philosophy of cults right after swearing off a gun. He grinned and listened. I thought I would never need a gun, too, bub.

"Yeah man, yeah. Good stuff there. Keep working that angle."

Jacob knew it took all types to thwart the Unnatural, even erudite oddballs. They looked like they had more than a couple here. "I agree on that. If we can find out who we are facing via tax files, that will help a bit."

Jacob looked at the military types. "Clove said to get untraceable guns, and told me where to find them. That was a bit suspicious to me. She wanted me to take us in all black ops. That's not how I work. So we are going to do this the Green way. Study the target, find out all we can. That's not to say we don't need weapons." Jacob looked to the hesitant pacifist.

"You know how they say 'there are no atheists in a foxhole?'" Jacob had a dead-serious look, "There are no pacifists with the Unnatural. Almost all of that **** just needs to be put down. After you've seen some more I'll tell you the crazy crap I've faced."

A flash of the second wave of agents fighting against velociraptors came to mind. Jacob had spent a lot of time at the range after that mission. ****ing velociraptors were nothing like Jurassic Park. The damn things had feathers. Fast ****ers like Spielberg thought, though.

"Let's divide and conquer folks. I'm on blood and black goop analysis. Then arming us. We need maps and tactical analysis from the soldiers. Taxes, identifications, video from the techies. What else you all got?"
OOC Some flashback flavor. Mike (Jacob) has seen a lot of ****.

Last edited by Bluejack; Jul 25th, 2022 at 08:22 AM.