RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Solo Games > New Gamers
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 01-03-2014, 03:30 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 477
Duckman Duckman Duckman Duckman Duckman
Much helpful very rpg such pathfinder wow
Old 01-09-2014, 01:50 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Shadow Phoenix
Hey everybody

I just joined the site and I'm about to start a newbie game. I've played 3.5 for a long time but never on post by post. Can anybody tell me if I need to make a character for the Tower of Newby? Or will I use an already made one?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:33 AM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 58992
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
You will make your own 1st level PC for the game, within the rules allowed.

(we tend to stick with Core, for example)...
Old 01-26-2014, 01:16 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Ash0011
I too am a newb and I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations starting classl
(I'm currently leaning towards Druid or Sorcerer)
Old 01-26-2014, 01:31 AM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36045
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Well, stick with the "core" classes as per the version of the game you applied for...
but I really recommend you play a class that you want to play, one you think you'll have fun roleplaying with. You don't have to think in terms of "Max Power, Munchin Extraoridinaire" to survive.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:07 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Ash0011
okay then, also I remember reading about a psychic class is that in 4e or a different game entirely?
oh and while I'm here how likely is it that I would level up in the newbie tower, as in during the campaign not at the end, or does depend on the DM?
Old 01-27-2014, 02:20 AM
Wood he do it?!?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16937
Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree
Well, in the SRD for both 3.5e and Pathfinder, there are psychic classes. But they aren't part of the core choices. As for the leveling, it is depending on the DM and you as a player. For example, if you don't take part in fights, then you'll get less experience.

-GT
Old 01-27-2014, 04:15 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
If you are brand new to a game system, I recommend taking a simple class. Fighter, in 3.5, for example. Easy to outfit, easy to play, not a lot of complex things needed to make it fun/good. You learn the ropes by doing. With Wizards and druids and all, there's tons of options, so many things to learn, it can get you lost in the woods.

Other than that advice, however, one should play what seems fun. Even if you aren't good at it, because you chose all the wrong spells, you are still playing what you wanted, and that's fun.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:33 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 453
MadMaaxi MadMaaxi MadMaaxi MadMaaxi MadMaaxi
Indeed everyone has that one particular class that they excel/like more than the others. However sometimes those off-character or against the grain walks are extremely rewarding. I gained a new appreciation and love for the monk class after playing it 3/3.5. Before that I had never heard of or played a monk and boy did I love i!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:47 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
You sir, are one of the few to appreciate the monk class in 3.5

I've tried it several times as a player and a DM, and I must say, the creators of that class either way over thought what was "cool" would be "effective", or they absolutely hated the class, and wanted to make sure no one would ever play it.

I love the ideas/flavor of the class, and it always draws me in... and then I play it, and remember how poorly the dynamics actually work in game. Ugh.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:29 PM
what is this I don't even
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15723
lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac lymphomaniac
I will say that I've graduated at least one monk in the time that I've been involved with NPSGs. You're in good company, MadMaaxi.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:57 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 654
SolarDragon SolarDragon SolarDragon SolarDragon SolarDragon SolarDragon
Most people I talk to seem to think that the Pathfinder monk stacks up far more favourably compared to the 3.5 monk-it still feels like what dirkoth said though!
Natural 1's: 15
Old 02-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Aged Cheddar

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13947
sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel
Y'all're stuck in the past, man. The monk's hilarious and fun (and functional!) in 4E.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 654
SolarDragon SolarDragon SolarDragon SolarDragon SolarDragon SolarDragon
Yeah, but 4E.... I don't need to say any more than that
Natural 1's: 15
Old 02-04-2014, 09:29 PM
Aged Cheddar

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13947
sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel
You can certainly have your opinion, but there's a wealth of awesome in 4E that you're missing out on if you dismiss it before you play with the community here. It's pretty excellent stuff.