RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Dawn of Adventure
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 09-15-2014, 02:06 AM
Spankucus's Avatar
Spankucus Spankucus is offline
salty old cur
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-22-2019
RPXP: 16826
Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus
Posts: 5,883
"Madam, your words have stirred heart, spirit, and purse. What more could a humble servant of Brandobaris want!" Barnabas declared, giving an exaggerated bow, a slightly comical sight given the halfling's present chair-standing. "Please, say on what you know."
__________________
Out Indefinitely. No Issues: Just Busy With RL. Best Wishes Until We Meet Again!


Characters: Delani | Amos | Darkbow | Egon | Marack | Barnabas | Desdemona

Last edited by Spankucus; 09-15-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-15-2014, 05:56 AM
Judugrovee Judugrovee is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-02-2018
RPXP: 683
Judugrovee Judugrovee Judugrovee Judugrovee Judugrovee Judugrovee
Posts: 667
Aeofraldon regognized the woman's profound determination. It was plainly obvious that she had carefully groomed a reputation which she wouldn't easily give up. And she would certainly not let herself be fooled by them. The elf felt a strange sympathy for the human woman and her will for knowledge and power.

Showing a smile, Aeofraldon nodded and bowed slightly towards the woman: "My companion is right; you speak wisdom and truth, madam." He couldn't wait to begin with this journey and already pictured himself sitting on the bleak chair. His smile widened involuntarily. "Please do tell what we need to know."
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-15-2014, 02:00 PM
Monouk's Avatar
Monouk Monouk is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 11-07-2014
RPXP: 261
Monouk Monouk Monouk
Posts: 1,254
Sylruil's eyes glimmer in the dim light as he gradually begins to allow himself a faint smile. Easy money. Sylruil elegantly rises from his seat to offer Eladara a handshake and answers, "Yes, I believe we have an agreement."
__________________
Words are hard.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-15-2014, 06:42 PM
Trinity's Avatar
Trinity Trinity is offline
Black Magic Woman
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-07-2019
RPXP: 3173
Trinity Trinity Trinity Trinity Trinity Trinity Trinity Trinity Trinity Trinity Trinity
Posts: 6,678
Celeste Alianne:

Celeste nodded her agreement to the terms. Seeing that Charnak face palmed so hard that he almost fell off his perch. Celeste knew this was a dangerous game that she'd gotten involved with, but she also knew it might very well be her only opportunity to find out what had happened to her. She had to know, so she had to go. "What else do you know about this Eladara? Tell us everything, no matter how insignificant seeming it is."
__________________
"If you want to understand humanity, you only need to read the comments on youtube."
"Science is alchemy without the mystery."
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-18-2014, 11:10 PM
Cidolfas's Avatar
Cidolfas Cidolfas is offline
TGWTWSA
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-04-2016
RPXP: 7727
Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas
Posts: 5,418
Eladara leaned forward into the light, a grin spread across her face as the light illuminated it. “I knew I had selected the right folk for this. I assure you that this is a life changing decision.” She trailed off as though trying to contain her excitement. The wind died down too and there was an eerie silence in the building for a few brief moments.

"I will be taking you all through a passageway under the city known to but a handful of people. For many years it was thought to lead to a simple dead end, until a recent breakthrough. My benefactors learned that it leads to a valley that is apparently a good distance from Silverymoon. Yet the travel there takes by a couple minutes. The place is a wild forest valley, though from the reports a group like you should be able to take care of themselves."

She paused to allow them to think on her words briefly. “You see, none have been able to find this artifact because it wasn’t actually here! The king must have used the passageway to head to this location undetected and sit on it undisturbed.” The excitement in her voice grew with every word as her eyes drifted up and away from the group. “So you see,” she was finishing, “you must find it and we must keep it a secret. Who knows what evils it could be used for?”

Her enthusiasm faded there and it looked like she realized she had gotten carried away. “As for the valley, there are no other entrances from what we know. It would take about three days to fully explore and I don’t know where to start looking for the Chair." She paused a moment and then forged on. "The only real threats we know of are the local flora and fauna. So, you ready to head there at first light?" Her eyes glimmered briefly and for a moment she looked more than simply pretty, but instead rather stunning. That instance passed and seemed nothing but a trick of the shadows.
__________________
After some time away, looking to get back into gaming here.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Spankucus's Avatar
Spankucus Spankucus is offline
salty old cur
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-22-2019
RPXP: 16826
Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus
Posts: 5,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cidolfas View Post
“So you see,” she was finishing, “you must find it and we must keep it a secret. Who knows what evils it could be used for?”
Barnabas 8 Int!wasn't a terribly brilliant halfling by most definitions. But he wasn't stupid. He might not be able to say why barly from the fields around Daggerford, hops from the foothills of the Lost Peaks, sugar cane from the Evermoors, and mineral water from the rock springs of the Nether Mountains made a most excellent brew. But he knew they did and he knew exactly how to balance the ingredients. He might know how bones mended and bleeding slowed when Brandobis granted Barnabas' prayers. But he knew they did.

And so when Eladara again implored the necessity of keeping secret any eventual discovery of the chair, Barnabas couldn't tell you why his doubts about Eladara's motives continued to grow. But he could tell you they did.

A smart man likely would have asked himself why Eladara wanted to un-secret something only to re-secret it again, and whether that made sense.

But Barnabas was not a smart man. He only knew a seed of mistrust grew inside him and many of Eladara's words watered that seed.

Definitely an adventure worth pursuing, Barnabas assured Brandobis in light of Barnabas' concerns. But something tells me it won't end how any of us think it might.

"First light sounds wonderful," Barnabas replied to the host's question, adding playfully "Another night to enjoy Silverymoon's wonders! Hurray!"

 
__________________
Out Indefinitely. No Issues: Just Busy With RL. Best Wishes Until We Meet Again!


Characters: Delani | Amos | Darkbow | Egon | Marack | Barnabas | Desdemona

Last edited by Spankucus; 09-20-2014 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Sso manyy typoes!!1
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-19-2014, 01:23 PM
Still_Pond's Avatar
Still_Pond Still_Pond is offline
Insert User Title Here.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 11-13-2019
RPXP: 21678
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Posts: 13,786

Flint listens, as as the woman talks he feels more and more like he's being asked to do a favor for someone with dishonorable intentions. The passage sounds like something from the feywild. Children and adults alike speak of such places in hushed whispers, and it is common knowledge that only fools and feytouched have any business in the faewild. It could be that this valley is a magical place, a refuge for this artifact, protected by the fey. Maybe that's why this woman can't or wont go there herself. His mind begins to think off all sorts of superstitious reasons behind this woman's motives. She could be a fey herself, a dark spirit who is unable to enter the protected glen herself.

He takes a deep breath as she continues to speak, saying more than he expected to hear from this enigmatic woman. He asks himself if he cares that she may be hiding something. He has been around unsavory folks before. They cross him as their own risk. This woman and her benefactors could be very useful contacts. It is also possible that this chair could show him a clue to what he seeks, and that would be worth very much indeed. He has no tangible reason to mistrust this woman. He can't pick up any overt deceit in her words, and her reasons for secrecy seem sound. Then she asks them to be ready by the morning light. No time to check out her story, or ask around about this legendary chair to confirm her stories. No time to buy cold-iron. No time to ask around about this lovely woman and who her benefactors might be. Now was the time to re-negotiate their payment.

The dwarf scowls at Barnabas's jolly approval, which makes it more difficult to barter a better deal. Flint takes a deep slow breath again and thinks about what he wants to say.

"By morning light?"
Dice persuasion:
1d20+1 (3)+1 Total = 4
He nods his willingness to accept that condition, but continues, "100 gold each to map the valley. 50 gold to set in the chair. 50 gold up front."

He knew he was asking too much, and he could tell by her look that she knew it too. He coughs and looks aside, showing a little doubt as to his attempt to ask for more. He remains silent, however, and stands resolute, awaiting her reply.

__________________
((()))


Last edited by Still_Pond; 09-19-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Judugrovee Judugrovee is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-02-2018
RPXP: 683
Judugrovee Judugrovee Judugrovee Judugrovee Judugrovee Judugrovee
Posts: 667
Aeofraldon arched his eyebrows when the woman in front of them showed such strong passion about their target. He couldn't blame her, however. Being so close to a powerful artifact, only separated by a simple quest, he felt very giddy himself. Not that he would show it, of course. But she had probably worked for this goal for a good part of her short human life and whatever he as a noble, civilized high elf felt, humans felt it tenfold as intense or even more.

He could also very well understand her reasoning for secrecy. He wouldn't do anything different; well maybe he would have gone for it himself, without so many confidants. Which lead Aeofraldon to a thought: What if the artifact was indeed as powerful as he thought it might be. To untap its true power he would have to study it intensly, which would probably take him years. Alas, it was impossible to study it with so many interested parties. But... one couldn't just remove those parties... could one?

He was jared from his thoughts when the Dwarf started to negotiate their payment. Ah, excellent, the obligatory haggling, he thought. He had read about it when preparing for his adventure and was curious how it worked out for them.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-19-2014, 06:05 PM
Monouk's Avatar
Monouk Monouk is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 11-07-2014
RPXP: 261
Monouk Monouk Monouk
Posts: 1,254
Sylruil was quite satisfied with the promised reward and upon receiving further details, was assured that this adventure would be no more dangerous than a midnight stroll through the back alleys of Silverymoon. All they had to do was spend a few days searching and they would be paid well, regardless of the result. Sylruill was eager and ready to begin at a moment's notice, having already made preparations for a journey in advance. There was only one, more immediate problem to deal with, his companions.

Sylruil considered himself to be somewhat of an expert at dialogue, so he was was rather insulted when Flint unexpectedly began demanding even more gold. Silver once told me that dwarves are greedy, but this is absurd. Sylruil looked at Flint disapprovingly, "You're pushing your luck, dwarf. Do you even know how to draw a proper map?"
__________________
Words are hard.

Last edited by Monouk; 09-20-2014 at 05:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-19-2014, 07:41 PM
Trinity's Avatar
Trinity Trinity is offline
Black Magic Woman
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-07-2019
RPXP: 3173
Trinity Trinity Trinity Trinity Trinity Trinity Trinity Trinity Trinity Trinity Trinity
Posts: 6,678
Celeste Alianne:

She sighed and rubbed her forefinger and thumb against the bridge of her nose. Typical, Dwarves and Elves bickering, so it begins. She shot the pair of them a look to save it until after the meeting.

From his perch Charnok giggled to himself watching it unfold. Well at least something of this fools errand may prove...entertaining...
__________________
"If you want to understand humanity, you only need to read the comments on youtube."
"Science is alchemy without the mystery."

Last edited by Trinity; 09-20-2014 at 04:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-20-2014, 01:53 AM
Still_Pond's Avatar
Still_Pond Still_Pond is offline
Insert User Title Here.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 11-13-2019
RPXP: 21678
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Posts: 13,786

Flint knew he was pushing his luck. He didn't need some fool elf to voice it. Flint's efforts were for the good of all of them, that pale arsed elf included. Judging from that fancy ring and his arrogant attitude, he was probably a noble. Money had no meaning for him, and any knowledge he had was probably from scrolls and tutors with lily white hands. He doubted the elf had little practical experience with anything other than a vanity mirror. The dwarf ignores the comment, but his muscles in his neck tighten and his eyes smolder a little as anger seeps into them, like a blade being heated slowly in a forge.
__________________
((()))

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-20-2014, 04:34 PM
Monouk's Avatar
Monouk Monouk is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 11-07-2014
RPXP: 261
Monouk Monouk Monouk
Posts: 1,254
The situation didn't seem to be getting any better with the tension within the group increasing, but Sylruil still had a plan. With a wink meant only for Flint, he began his
Dice Deception:
1d20+4 (9)+4 Total = 13
work. "Listen, an honorable man keeps his word and we've already agreed to search for the Chair for seventy gold plus thirty gold to sit on it. We can't go back now and say we've changed our minds. However, we actually never agreed to map the area. Creating a map takes time and skill and that of course, will cost extra. We also did not agree to clear out the area of danger. That too costs extra, otherwise we'll probably forget to mention any traps we encounter. For both of these extras, I would ask for an additional twenty gold each."

Sylruil emphasized his points with hand gestures and id not relent. "Next, leaving at dawn is a fine notion. I would suggest Eladara provide us food and lodging for tonight. Some of us might enjoy the night too thoroughly to be awake in time, so we'd best stay together." Sylruil glanced and smiled at the halfling. "Furthermore, it's quite trivial, but we will require provisions as we simply do not have time to procure supplies ourselves. These accomodations are of course unnecessary, but would ensure that we begin our search in a coordinated and timely manner."
__________________
Words are hard.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-20-2014, 06:10 PM
Judugrovee Judugrovee is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-02-2018
RPXP: 683
Judugrovee Judugrovee Judugrovee Judugrovee Judugrovee Judugrovee
Posts: 667
Aeofraldon was fascinated by how this was going. Forth and back and sideways, the haggling went. Naturally, it was an elf - albeit only one of the pale skinned moon elves - who seemed to know a thing or two about making haggling a success. And who put the dwarf in his place rather brusquely. Although, if Aeofraldon remembered the dwarven profile correctly, the dwarf wouldn't like to be in a place like that. Aeofraldon made a mental note to ask the moon elf about his heritage, while he glanced at the woman.

The human woman seemed to be some kind of balancing influence. Aeofraldon couldn't really place the looks she gave the moon elf and the dwarf, but he was certain, that she didn't want them to start a fight before the journey even began. And that went for Aeofraldon as well, as he was perfectly aware that he would probably need his companions for the trip - not that he would admit to that. Right now, he wanted to try this part himself. Why not start with chiming in.

"A very insightful comment.", he applauded his racial cousin. "The additional services and circumstancial necessities should indeed be covered with respective commensurate payment." Aeofraldon added authority to his statement by holding his hand up, index finger outstretched. "But I assume, that our employer and benefactor would have recognized that on her own, as she gives a very wise and experienced impression." With a polite bow and a smile towards Eladara, Aeofraldon complimented both of them: Eladara for added effect on the haggling and himself for obviously being a natural in this.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-21-2014, 05:33 AM
Spankucus's Avatar
Spankucus Spankucus is offline
salty old cur
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-22-2019
RPXP: 16826
Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus Spankucus
Posts: 5,883
Barnabas watched as the situation started to degrade. Guidance
Dice Roll:
1d4 2
Brandobis, how many adventures are left undone by those who'd divide the spoils a'fore they be gained!


The mattered volley back and forth as a fissure cracked within the party. Barnabas opened his mouth and tried to gain the floor . . . only to have another speak over him. Only dark beauty seemed uninvolved.

And then when Barnabas thought he'd have an opening to speak, the bookish elf spoke honeyed words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judugrovee View Post
"But I assume, that our employer and benefactor would have recognized that on her own, as she gives a very wise and experienced impression."
Ah, excellent! Barnabas thought, happy that amicable terms were only a few nods away.

To encourage said nods, Barnabas beemed happily, attempting to convey his assent to either the promise of good or good intentions. After all, both were essentially the same: only promises. And in the end, promises did little but spur future arguments.

 
__________________
Out Indefinitely. No Issues: Just Busy With RL. Best Wishes Until We Meet Again!


Characters: Delani | Amos | Darkbow | Egon | Marack | Barnabas | Desdemona

Last edited by Spankucus; 09-21-2014 at 05:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-22-2014, 03:18 AM
Still_Pond's Avatar
Still_Pond Still_Pond is offline
Insert User Title Here.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 11-13-2019
RPXP: 21678
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Posts: 13,786

The anger at the elf fades quickly as Sylruil continues and then Aeofraldon chimes in. Everyone here seemed to have a different idea about how to haggle, or if doing so was even appropriate. Sylruil spoke of honor, as if such an elf knew the first thing about it. It would be insulting NOT to haggle. If a dwarf just takes the first price offered for something, it shows a disrespect for his family, for wealth was handed down from fathers to sons. One did not just throw it aside casually. It also disrespects the merchant, implying that he is incompetent and/or a scoundrel. A skilled trader never offers the low price upfront unless he is ignorant or is trying to trick the buyer somehow. Flint had agreed to take the job, that was true, but the terms were always negotiable, especially when new and important information was revealed.

The dwarf had to admit to himself, however, that he was not among dwarves. The surface folk had a different way of doing things. Unwilling to argue the finer points of business basics with a bunch of elves, the dwarf just remains standing in firm silence, his arms crossed over chest. He listens to the overly complex language and generally agrees with it. He'd take the job regardless of the pay, but he did want to hear the lady's response. Good or bad, her response would reveal something more about her character.

__________________
((()))

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:00 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB