Application Review for Halfling Wizard - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Gaming Advice > Player Support
twitter facebook
0 7 1 0
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 04:50 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 370
Karlos Karlos Karlos Karlos
Application Review for Halfling Wizard

Hi everyone,

I am new to DnD and have just created my first character, which is a Lightfoot Halfling Wizard. I am looking for advice and feedback on how you feel about the character and more importantly on whether I have set up the character sheet correctly. Below is the character application. Thanks in advance!

Merric Leagallow, Lightfoot Halfling Wizard
Name: Merric Leagallow

Class: Wizard

Race: Lightfoot Halfling

Alignment: Neutral Good

Physical Description: Standing at two feet ten inches tall and weighing thirty-nine pounds, the small Halfling has deep olive skin from his days of playing in the outdoors and curly brown hair that is short and neat. His face is cleanly shaved and is often seen with big googly eyes that are constantly looking around. Merric wears common clothes that reflect his humble upbringing in the countryside, and often carries with him a small glass jar labeled "Griffon Grease". The Halfling can sometimes be seen looking at the contents of the jar with a hint of determination in his eyes.

Personality: A high sense of curiosity and wanderlust drives Merric into venturing out from his comfortable home in order to explore the world around him. The Halfling tends to either be easily distracted by his surroundings or become so engrossed in something that he becomes oblivious to the world around him. Merric is constantly finding new things to amuse himself with and prefers action over careful planning. His happy-go-lucky attitude had earned him the title as the "easily excitable airhead".

Background Story:

Character Sheet: http://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=75493

On a side note, does anyone know of any website where I can search for a picture for the character avatar?

Last edited by Karlos; 05-07-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:41 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11103
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Hello! Sorry I did not have time to read the full app yet. As to your last question however, I have found that the best idea is to just do a google image search. The best pictures I find to come from Pinterest.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:12 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Hi Begon, thanks for stopping by!

Actually, now that I really think about it, maybe a picture wouldn't be necessary. It is very difficult to find a picture that fits the image of the Merric in my mind. I should probably try to flesh out more physical descriptions with just words instead. What is the general stance on this issue? Are DMs usually fine with the lack of pictures or will it hinder my application?
Old 05-07-2018, 10:00 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11103
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
From my experience most Dm's do appreciate a picture. Some do make it a requirement. I find it does help make the experience more immersive if I have a picture for reference. Be creative in what you search for. I have found some great ones by looking for fantasy portraits...don't just search for male halflings

In your application make sure you do not switch tenses. I am by no means a writing expert but I did notice it a few times. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2018, 07:43 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8005
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith
I'm not sure if just anyone is welcome to chime in here, so please feel free to disregard these comments.

This is a well-crafted application. Spelling and grammar are excellent, and I particularly note excellent use of varied adjectives. The character is vivid and interesting.

If I were considering this as a DM, I would have one concern. Wizardry takes years and years of intense, focused study, and this character is portrayed as being the opposite of intense and focused. The app says that he has "latent abilities that will be awakened when the time is right".

To me, this character is a sorcerer, not a wizard. Other than that, it is a very solid app.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:58 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Thank you for your encouraging comments and reading through the application, Berith!

I wasn't aware of the different types of magic classes when I first wrote the application. After consulting the PHB I am inclined to agree that Merric is indeed a Sorcerer, not a Wizard. I am now looking forward to see what adventures he will face in the future
Old 05-16-2018, 05:07 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 112
Huehuecoyotl Huehuecoyotl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
Hi Begon, thanks for stopping by!

Actually, now that I really think about it, maybe a picture wouldn't be necessary. It is very difficult to find a picture that fits the image of the Merric in my mind. I should probably try to flesh out more physical descriptions with just words instead. What is the general stance on this issue? Are DMs usually fine with the lack of pictures or will it hinder my application?
Many DMs create tokens from the pic to use on battle maps- I for one certainly do.

But that varies from Dm to DM.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:42 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 250
TheFenrir TheFenrir TheFenrir
So, in my mind I would

Name, and assign a sketch of some personality to, relatives and friends. You are who you know. His mom is a good start. See if you can work these into some plot hooks for the DM. Examples: He was inspired by X. He had a rival? A love? Etc...

So he is curious. and easily distracted. What other personality traits does he have? Good, bad, or just odd?

Hobbies or interests besides magic? Put some skill points in these. Maybe if he grew up was a farming village he has some skills to reflect this?

Ordinarily I would list some short term and long term goals, but he seems just to care about the now so that is probably good enough.

I ended up doing a newbie adventure on site to get familar with all the features and one link that came with that from Xian (DM) was this. Worth a read.

>>
A favorite tool of mine is the famous/infamous 10 Minute Background which helps you to create character apps that are memorable and more importantly gives something DM to sink their teeth into to weave into their games.

Here is the link to the run down of the 10 Minute Background..
<<
Closed Thread