Notices

Old 06-23-2019, 11:19 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 393
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83
3.5 or 4e resources

Where can I find free resources for DnD 3.5 or 4e?
Old 06-24-2019, 11:24 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 925
Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode
For 3.5, the only freely available material is the SRD. There are hosted copies in several places (I like www.d20srd.com). Actually, that's not entirely true, as there's quite a bit of material at the Wizards official site (now various pages at archive.wizards.com). And of course, there are lots of handbooks and class guides written by players, although that doesn't obviate the need for the books.

4E did not have an open license (okay, technically, there was the GSL but it really wasn't the same thing), so there's very little legally available free content. Not even a PHB equivalent. I'm not sure if Wizards ever made much of anything freely available; my playgroup dropped 4E early in it's cycle because of the problems with monster health scaling and the absolute primacy of at-will optimization builds.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:38 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 393
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83
Wow! Thank you for that! For Clarification, is Pathfinder separate from 3.5 and 4E?
Old 06-25-2019, 12:32 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 925
Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treble83 View Post
Wow! Thank you for that! For Clarification, is Pathfinder separate from 3.5 and 4E?
"It's complicated" and "Very yes", in that order.

Pathfinder is sort of an alternate universe 3.5. It was created from the 3.5 rules set (under the Open Gaming License) by Paizo, the company that formerly published the Dragon and Dungeon magazines. In theory, 3.5 and PF are sort of but not quite cross-compatible. In practice, very few people run mixed games. Pathfinder changed a lot: the skill system, feat progression, and overall class philosophy. So while it has 3.5 DNA at its core, it's really best thought of as a sibling, not a sequel.

Also, because it is built atop the OGL, it's pretty much all freely available online. In fact, that site I linked is Pathfinder's official mechanics archive partner; they also maintain a parallel site for Starfinder and will have one for Pathfinder 2 when that officially launches.