OOC A Trip to Remember (OOC) - Page 12 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > West Marches > Completed Adventures
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #166  
Old Nov 30th, 2021, 02:11 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 16135
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretID View Post
MS, does the roof of the house provide cover against the crossbow adventurer while Geghard is standing in row U? He has a little movement left that I may use, since he couldn't go through the window.
I edited this in, so you may have missed it.
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old Nov 30th, 2021, 02:18 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is offline
she/her
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 18272
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 10,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretID View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretID
MS, does the roof of the house provide cover against the crossbow adventurer while Geghard is standing in row U? He has a little movement left that I may use, since he couldn't go through the window.
I edited this in, so you may have missed it.
Yep, I missed it.

To make it simple, yes there is a bit of cover that the roof creates, however the adventurer could easily avoid it by stepping right up to the edge and aiming down at a backwards angle. The more realistic outcome rather than him doing that though would be him deciding to shoot at somebody else.
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old Nov 30th, 2021, 08:38 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 21721
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 7,020
Such a wide variety of terrible options
__________________
Posting rate: Slow.
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 03:13 AM
CoffeeRogue's Avatar
CoffeeRogue CoffeeRogue is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 10th, 2021
RPXP: 1022
CoffeeRogue CoffeeRogue CoffeeRogue CoffeeRogue CoffeeRogue CoffeeRogue CoffeeRogue CoffeeRogue
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsiege View Post
@CoffeeRogue:
Bad news. While the failed attempt to scale the roof would have properly landed Earlamar prone on the floor, he never makes it that far. As soon as he moves away from the noble he is struck down by a successful attack of opportunity that deals 7 dmg, putting him to 0 HP.
These were very unfortunate rolls!

@edit:
Just for reference, Almavalesh in form of Starlight is currently located somewhere around Q-16, hanging frozen still in mid-air.
Interesting. I was led to believe that the hostiles were fast approaching. Not that they were already there. I mean, disengage is a thing. I guess, I should've asked before assuming.

My apologies everyone, my inexperience got the best of me.

As for where he fell, I'd say we can add ine more option and roll a d4 to findout. In such situations, I like the dice to make the call.
__________________
I've taken the oath of Sangus
[PC]Blixif Briskfeat - An earnest rock gnome artificier in Reluctant Heroes
[PC]Earlamar Xyr - A sly half-elf rogue with a taste for deception in West Marches
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 05:23 AM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is offline
she/her
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 18272
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 10,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeRogue View Post
Interesting. I was led to believe that the hostiles were fast approaching. Not that they were already there. I mean, disengage is a thing. I guess, I should've asked before assuming.

My apologies everyone, my inexperience got the best of me.

As for where he fell, I'd say we can add ine more option and roll a d4 to findout. In such situations, I like the dice to make the call.
Underneath my GM post I've added an extensive battlemap with tokens and then I noted the position of every enemy in the initiative table. As the only character to hide inside the crowd of people, Earlamar was unfortunate in the sense that the noble was positioned among them. I didn't particularly point out the noble standing right next to Earlamar narratively, because Earlamar didn't perceive the threat himself and needed Derek to tell him. By preparing the map though, I assumed every player would be aware of what's going on.

I'm willing to make a one time deal to let you attack the noble if that's what Earlamar would have done instead, since Derek did notify him of the threat indirectly and Aurora very much attacked the guy right in front of his eyes. But next time, please look at the material I provide, because it helps me keep down the word count, even if it also takes time to put together. Similarly, we can roll if you want the dice to decide what route Earlamar would have taken to get next to Geghard, but the battlemap is also there for the players to decide pathing, in case there are traps they step into. Because in the open street there aren't any traps to be stepped into I didn't point out that I need you to be specific with noting down what path your character takes, but since this opened up uncertainty about where Earlamar would have gone down in this case, I meant to be generous and let you make a decision about how Earlarmar would have moved exactly. If you don't want to decide or don't know, we can roll of course, but we can also retcon it entirely this one time if the narrative of Earlamar abandoning the guy with the fake cane after Aurora failed to kill him doesn't make any sense to you.

To be more specific, I'll allow you to edit your post to provide the version of the narrative that you think should have happened. If Earlamar runs without disengaging, we will keep the rolls and he gets downed. Also, next time before I roll for any AoO that your characters should have seen coming I'll ask if the situation has been understood. Be mindful though that I do want to allow for player mistakes like forgetting to Disengage to happen, just how they would happen at a live table. You can decide for yourself what you think is both fair and the best way to tell this story, this turn we'll go with the version of what happened that you decide on.

@edit:
To reiterate what has happened from my perspective. The noble with his cane looked like he was on a stroll together with his female partner next to him and another friend that had been talking to him just before everything froze. The street isn't technically crowded enough to really hide well inside the crowd from someone that watches you move into it, but because that's the narration that you and BarrowB went with I didn't want to make BarrowB edit the posts where Aurora lost sight of Earlamar, I instead placed Earlamar around the only people he could have used as cover to step out of sight from Aurora. That they also included one of the guys to turn enemy was only causal to what I had in mind while envisioning the scene. The hiding in a crowd of citizen memories would have worked if it were real people that Earlamar tried to hide from. It's unfortunate that it backfired this way, but that's also why I'm giving you the choice to envision the scene as how you think it should have happened.

So after the crimson light pierced Earlamar, the noble and his company, Derek noticed that the noble was the only one of them armed and still active after everyone else froze. Then Earlamar would have seen Aurora simply going for the kill and slicing into the neck of the noble without him being fast enough to bring up his sword cane, but she wasn't able to behead him with this more hasty attack and he also would have started to "dust back together" before Earlamar's eyes after Aurora's attack. From watching that and after hearing Derek, Earlamar would have to decide what to do and if he perceived that noble as a threat. If he did perceive him as a threat, I'm fine if you end up saying that he would have attacked him together with Aurora. If not, Earlamar fell from the nobles strike after failing to grasp the severity of the situation. Either of those narratives makes sense to me.

@2nd edit:
To be clear, if the scuffel between Earlamar and Aurora had been a real battle, I would have had to rule that using the people as cover to hide from Aurora is impossible. But since that's not how I viewed the scene and I wanted to leave Aurora with the opportunity to end the conflict by losing sight of Earlamar as BarrowB envisioned, that's why I resolved everything how I did. Even without that though, hiding between memories that would become animated to attack you guys would have placed Earlamar into an isolated position anyways. Actually your group is lucky that not more of the armed memories were closer to your group at the start of Mayuri turning on you.

@3rd edit:
Usually, I only need the players to use dice when there is uncertainty about outcomes. In all other situations, I'm fine letting the players tell me what is happening as long as it's plausible. If a player wants to randomize a particular character choice, that's something I allow them to do of course, but I don't require it in situations like this.

@4th edit:
Finally, let me know how you want us to do this.
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World

Last edited by Mindsiege; Dec 1st, 2021 at 06:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 06:22 AM
CoffeeRogue's Avatar
CoffeeRogue CoffeeRogue is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 10th, 2021
RPXP: 1022
CoffeeRogue CoffeeRogue CoffeeRogue CoffeeRogue CoffeeRogue CoffeeRogue CoffeeRogue CoffeeRogue
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsiege View Post
Underneath my GM post I've added an extensive battlemap with tokens and then I noted the position of every enemy in the initiative table. As the only character to hide inside the crowd of people, Earlamar was unfortunate in the sense that the noble was positioned among them. I didn't particularly point out the noble standing right next to Earlamar narratively, because Earlamar didn't perceive the threat himself and needed Derek to tell him. By preparing the map though, I assumed every player would be aware of what's going on.

I'm willing to make a one time deal to let you attack the noble if that's what Earlamar would have done instead, since Derek did notify him of the threat indirectly and Aurora very much attacked the guy right in front of his eyes. But next time, please look at the material I provide, because it helps me keep down the word count, even if it also takes time to put together. Similarly, we can roll if you want the dice to decide what route Earlamar would have taken to get next to Geghard, but the battlemap is also there for the players to decide pathing, in case there are traps they step into. Because in the open street there aren't any traps to be stepped into I didn't point out that I need you to be specific with noting down what path your character takes, but since this opened up uncertainty about where Earlamar would have gone down in this case, I meant to be generous and let you make a decision about how Earlarmar would have moved exactly. If you don't want to decide or don't know, we can roll of course, but we can also retcon it entirely this one time if the narrative of Earlamar abandoning the guy with the fake cane after Aurora failed to kill him doesn't make any sense to you.

To be more specific, I'll allow you to edit your post to provide the version of the narrative that you think should have happened. If Earlamar runs without disengaging, we will keep the rolls and he gets downed. Also, next time before I roll for any AoO that your characters should have seen coming I'll ask if the situation has been understood. Be mindful though that I do want to allow for player mistakes like forgetting to Disengage to happen, just how they would happen at a live table. You can decide for yourself what you think is both fair and the best way to tell this story, this turn we'll go with the version of what happened that you decide on.

@edit:
To reiterate what has happened from my perspective. The noble with his cane looked like he was on a stroll together with his female partner next to him and another friend that had been talking to him just before everything froze. The street isn't technically crowded enough to really hide well inside the crowd from someone that watches you move into it, but because that's the narration that you and BarrowB went with I didn't want to make BarrowB edit the posts where Aurora lost sight of Earlamar, I instead placed Earlamar around the only people he could have used as cover to step out of sight from Aurora. That they also included one of the guys to turn enemy was only causal to what I had in mind while envisioning the scene. The hiding in a crowd of citizen memories would have worked if it were real people that Earlamar tried to hide from. It's unfortunate that it backfired this way, but that's also why I'm giving you the choice to envision the scene as how you think it should have happened.

So after the crimson light pierced Earlamar, the noble and his company, Derek noticed that the noble was the only one of them armed and still active after everyone else froze. Then Earlamar would have seen Aurora simply going for the kill and slicing into the neck of the noble without him being fast enough to bring up his sword cane, but she wasn't able to behead him with this more hasty attack and he also would have started to "dust back together" before Earlamar's eyes after Aurora's attack. From watching that and after hearing Derek, Earlamar would have to decide what to do and if he perceived that noble as a threat. If he did perceive him as a threat, I'm fine if you end up saying that he would have attacked him together with Aurora. If not, Earlamar fell from the nobles strike after failing to grasp the severity of the situation. Either of those narratives makes sense to me.

@2nd edit:
To be clear, if the scuffel between Earlamar and Aurora had been a real battle, I would have had to rule that using the people as cover to hide from Aurora is impossible. But since that's not how I viewed the scene and I wanted to leave Aurora with the opportunity to end the conflict by losing sight of Earlamar as BarrowB envisioned, that's why I resolved everything how I did. Even without that though, hiding between memories that would become animated to attack you guys would have placed Earlamar into an isolated position anyways. Actually your group is lucky that not more of the armed memories were closer to your group at the start of Mayuri turning on you.

@3rd edit:
Usually, I only need the players to use dice when there is uncertainty about outcomes. In all other situations, I'm fine letting the players tell me what is happening as long as it's plausible. If a player wants to randomize a particular character choice, that's something I allow them to do of course, but I don't require it in situations like this.

@4th edit:
Finally, let me know how you want us to do this.
First off, I just want to say thank you for all the hardwork you're doing, the detailed explanation you've provided, and the willingness to work with us. I really appreciate it.

I did use the materials provided and assumed that this was the crowd Earlamar used to hide therein assuming that it wasn't hostile.

What I want to do is retcon nothing and keep the situation the same. That's because it resulted from my lack of understanding and assumption. I could've asked and didn't so it shouldn't be changed. Narratively we can blame the adrenaline, his low intellect, and his inexperience.

Depending on how the noble had seung at him, I'd say it would make sense for Earlamar to end up at Q-9 because he's small, so he's probably flung a bit by a one hit knock out.

Again, thank you for being so cooperative Mindsiege, you're awesome.
__________________
I've taken the oath of Sangus
[PC]Blixif Briskfeat - An earnest rock gnome artificier in Reluctant Heroes
[PC]Earlamar Xyr - A sly half-elf rogue with a taste for deception in West Marches
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 06:38 AM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is offline
she/her
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 18272
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 10,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeRogue View Post
Depending on how the noble had seung at him, I'd say it would make sense for Earlamar to end up at Q-9 because he's small, so he's probably flung a bit by a one hit knock out.

Again, thank you for being so cooperative Mindsiege, you're awesome.
Sounds good to me.
Thanks for the kind words.
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 06:46 AM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 16135
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,540
Hi, all. We're using the 48-hour rule and I know MS wants this combat to run smoothly, so I'll probably post for those who haven't in 4-5 hours.
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 01:01 PM
secretID's Avatar
secretID secretID is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 16135
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Posts: 16,540
MS, I mostly posted for Baka, Rolen, and Oguun. Oguun killed the noble, and Rolen killed the adventurer if we're lucky. Rolls.

I need to edit to do movement for them.

I noticed something: the noble had not yet drawn his sword when Earlamar left his reach, no? - so no OA?

Edit: Done, including Geghard's remaining movement (unused).

Last edited by secretID; Dec 1st, 2021 at 01:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 02:28 PM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is offline
she/her
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 18272
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 10,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretID View Post
MS, I mostly posted for Baka, Rolen, and Oguun. Oguun killed the noble, and Rolen killed the adventurer if we're lucky. Rolls.

I need to edit to do movement for them.

I noticed something: the noble had not yet drawn his sword when Earlamar left his reach, no? - so no OA?

Edit: Done, including Geghard's remaining movement (unused).
The noble had his weapon, the cane, in his hand and was able to attack. I could have had him use it like a mace, however since the sword cane is intentionally a trick weapon and Earlamar has no resistances to either blunt or slashing, I'll narrate it as a quick draw followed by being cut down. Mechanically it's all the same.

Actually, if all of this checks out for everybody I'll make my GM post today. Because the rest of the week before the weekend I won't have the time to post.
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 04:57 PM
Corwin's Avatar
Corwin Corwin is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 21721
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
Posts: 7,020
Thanks, secretID. Had a minor medical emergency in the family today, haven't had a chance to really get in front of the computer.
__________________
Posting rate: Slow.
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 04:19 AM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is offline
she/her
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 18272
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 10,975
@team:
The guy on the roof is still up.
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 04:34 AM
Togot's Avatar
Togot Togot is online now
Lone Wolf
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 29th, 2023
RPXP: 8266
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
Posts: 9,554
well crap i tried
__________________
I'm not intellectually arrogant, I'm just right all the time
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 04:35 AM
BarrowB's Avatar
BarrowB BarrowB is offline
The King of Ducks
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 3426
BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB BarrowB
Posts: 3,290
@CoffeeRogue

Earlamar is alive again, with 5 HP, or 6 if Derek's familiar did it's task.
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 04:37 AM
Mindsiege's Avatar
Mindsiege Mindsiege is offline
she/her
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2023
RPXP: 18272
Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege Mindsiege
Posts: 10,975
@BarrowB:
Same with your guy, they are both still over 1 HP, WIS saves didn't apply yet.

Also Nephala is able to do her task.
__________________
Continuously recruiting: The West Marches | Always open: The Solo Bazaar | Starring in: Dragons of a Broken World

Last edited by Mindsiege; Dec 2nd, 2021 at 04:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB