Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > The Last of the Hunters
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Aug 26th, 2022, 04:07 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21625
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
right-aligned image

Lasander
Human Alchemist

Lasander was not surprised when the aging hunter decided to turn in shortly after shoveling some food into his mouth and providing no more than a sentence or two to the others.

The news that Helberht would be allowed to complete the ritual that would make him a full-fledged hunter was a welcome one. Considering all he had been through and survived, he was as ready as any of them had been when they had completed their rituals.

Lasander turned up for breakfast the following morning and found a much refreshed and cleaned-up Harrod. He relayed how they had the imperative to choose their own contracts, but asked that they consider either the fae or the issue with the black blood.

"I agree the fae need to be dealt with, but I think the issue with the black blood should be our primary focus. Left unchecked, I can only see it getting worse, not to mention the unsettling source of the drug."

Old Aug 26th, 2022, 04:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2393
Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri
Breakfast comes, and as if in an instant things seem entirely back to normal.
This autonomy came as a surprise though, Laarth was used to, and comfortable with Harrod leading, reassured by his experience and knowledge.

She sits and ponders the choice between going after the black blood or dealing with the fae.
She stares blankly at her food, not even seeing it as she idly moves it about the plate with her finger.

"The blackblood, what do we know of it, other than its demonic."
She's not even sure who or if she's asking a question, but more expressing her own uncertainty "What would we do in Masrim, do we find more infected, kill more people?
Maybe there's other ways to learn about it before we rush into the maw of another aberration?"
she smirks as she thinks of Clanks being eaten but all the while tearing apart the creature from a most vulnerable position.

"The Fae seems more straight forward"

Laarth -The Last of the Hunters
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 06:03 PM
Hostile AI

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7561
AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ
Jaelin
left-aligned image
Jaelin, quite against her historical nature, sits at breakfast with little more than a cup of tea and a book. Furthermore, the book would seem to belong to her. Or leastwise not to anyone else at the table.

She idly listens to the conversation but seems a bit distracted. However, having apparently decided the time has come to speak, she sets a small metal token between the pages and rests her book on the table. When she looks up, there is at least a familiar smirk. "You want to deal with the fae because it's easier. You know where the problem is. You have a good place to start. But the black blood is," she pauses to wave a hand vaguely through the air, "just floating out there somewhere, and nobody has the first idea of what to do or where to look." She pauses to take a sip of tea, but holds up her finger to deter any premature responses. "The problem is, the fae have been sealed away for decades. The black blood becomes more serious by the day."

Jaelin slides her chair back and looks poised to stand before slouching again to one side, taking on a much more casual persona than she'd entered with. She then continues, "But I understand. The devil in your own house before the devil in the world, my grandmother used to say." She looks momentarily uncertain but doesn't slow down. "Give me a week. I'll come back with whatever information I can manage. You need time to study these fae and their history with the citadel anyway. Once we know more, we can make the best choice."

Last edited by AlphaZ; Aug 26th, 2022 at 06:03 PM.
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 07:53 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6165
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
Early MorningHarrod nearly spits out his coffee at Laarth's observation. "Straight forward? Careful dear, many a mortal has made the mistake of thinking the Fae were something they understood. I will admit the path there is easier, but don't fool yourself into thinking a foray into lands they control will be anything but a twisted, dangerous mess." Folding his papers and pushing them down the desk the old Master looks at Avaeril. "Recount what happened? It's been some time but I suppose I can recollect enough to be some help." Wrinkled eyes go hazy as Harrod's brow furrows while deep in thoughts long forgotten.

"I don't know how they gained entry, or how long they had laid hidden in wait. When they came it was like a wave of locus, they rolled over and consumed the apprentices, the young and barely trained. I had been in the Alchemy room, surrounded by jars of cold-iron shavings, and armed with Powder, it took me only moments to make it up the stairs. Suki had been in the library, she had been fulfilling the roll of librarian then, Bronos had been with her, as he often was. The stairway was narrow, so even with fliers they couldn't use their numbers and against the 3 of us they soon pulled back as our Master arrived. The Citadel was locked, they had no exit, but still the danger of them getting out was very real. So we came up with a plan: several sorties into the Alchemy room and storerooms brought us the materials needed for the door, after that it was simply a long drawn out fight to force them back into the basement."

Harrod's face takes on a more somber tone as he finishes. "Master Hatar. H-he said there were items, artifacts of grave importance buried deep within and bade Bronos and Myself to hold the doorway while Asuki finished the sealing ritual. He then snuck his way down, leaving us alone to fight it out. I was on my last Powder, nearly exhausted when he finally returned. Wounded, gravely wounded, but somehow pleased. Asuki sealed the passageway and I designed a hidden door and hallway to keep it out of sight for generations to come. The Master passed on a couple weeks later, his wounds unable to heal despite my best efforts. He still never told me what was down there of such importance that it was worth his life."

Listen, I’m gonna be honest. BG3 has taken over my life, still updating as fast as I can.
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 08:05 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri Kweheri
"I'm happy to go to Masrim, It just feels like we go there blind with no plan. To a place that is already unfriendly, Jaelin is right in that we need to know more."

She sits rerunning Harrods story in her mind, it definitely sounds more complicated than just killing some Fae trapped in the basement. ...a trip to the Fae wild? That was not a choice to be taken lightly either.

Old Aug 27th, 2022, 08:15 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3400
DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess
A (cold iron) Riveted Tale
left-aligned image
Avaeril's eyes widen as the old Hunter tells his story. "C-consumed? You mean to say, they ate all the apprentices?"

"So.. you said you four forced them back into the basement? They came from there? When you mentioned the lands they control, were you referring to the basement, or is there actually a way into the Faewild down there?"

So many questions still arose.

"I think Asuki had mentioned something about being reluctant to activate some device that the master bade her to. I suppose that was in relation to the sealing ritual or the door?"
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 03:31 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
right-aligned image

Lasander
Human Alchemist

Lasander listened as Harrod explained the events that led them to sealing the fae in the basement. He could only imagine the pitched battle that was waged within these very walls. Despite that, his mind still remained set.

"I agree with Jaelin. Unless there is some artifact stored in the basement that could help us deal with the Black Blood in some way, I still think it best to focus on that. The fae have been sealed down there for generations. I don't see the harm in waiting a little longer to find a more permanent solution for them."

Old Aug 29th, 2022, 10:53 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
Early MorningHarrod barely stifles a chuckle as he spreads his hands and waves down at the floor in the universal symbol to calm down. “Eat?! Oh dear, I’m sorry child, that was just some storyteller’s embellishment. ‘Swarmed over and disappeared’ is a more accurate description, though with less flair and drama, no?” Shaking his head the old Master sighs in amusement. “I’m sorry for laughing, the misunderstanding was some unexpected levity considering the subject of today. But to clarify: They Fae consumed no one that I could see, although they must be eating something down there. And on the subject of my embellishments understand that this land they control it isn’t the Feywild, just a large fortress’s sub-basement. But like a Demon or Angel might change the landscape of their home or lair, so too can Fae given enough time. I would imagine what is down there is not a normal basement by any means.”

Listen, I’m gonna be honest. BG3 has taken over my life, still updating as fast as I can.

Last edited by Mrjoegangles; Aug 29th, 2022 at 10:57 PM.
Old Aug 30th, 2022, 12:49 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess DrowNinjaPrincess
Hopefully Hopeless
left-aligned image
The notion that apprentices would just disappear was strange, and perhaps even more so if the Fae might have transformed the basement into something entirely different by now. Even if Avaeril had some limited interactions with other types of Fae before, this was not something she had considered.

"So you do not know what artifacts were in the basement, and the Fae have likely changed the environment by now as well. What can we expect, then, Master Harrod? Is this just a conflict where you expect all the Fae to be killed?"

Looking at Harrod with much concern, both dreading the answer and bringing back bad memories, she asks, "Do you think they deserve mercy? May peace be a possibility, and they might merely be sent home?"

Last edited by DrowNinjaPrincess; Aug 30th, 2022 at 12:51 AM.
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 05:38 PM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13197
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
Sorry for the lagtimeClanks sat and listened to the others speak, chuckling at Jaelin's jab, but he was too busy chewing on yesterday's bread and thinking to himself to be very present. It wasn't until Harrod started laughing and the mood lightened some that he was brought to the present. "I hate even suggesting this but we don't have to treat this like its a mutually exclusive pair of options. We can do both. Lasander can do more research in the lab and Jaelin can go get information from Masrim. The rest of us can try and parlay with the fey and see why they attacked in the first place. I can't imagine that a cabal of fey suddenly decides to wage war on a Citadel, let alone it happening twice."

Clanks shook his head slightly. "We can have Helbhert too. I am uncomfortable putting him in danger again after everything that he has already been through but he is too proven a warrior to sideline. Master you want to join or is there something more pressing you are holding back from telling us about?" The man hadn't made mention of any plan to aid them in either mission so it stood to reason he hadn't mentioned something.
Old Sep 4th, 2022, 03:29 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
"It suits me, nothing bad happens when we split up." smirking at Clanks, as bad things definitely happen when they split up, but nothing they've not survived!

"Is there a way Jaelin can tell us if things have gone wrong in the city?"

Old Sep 4th, 2022, 04:20 PM
Hostile AI

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7561
AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ
Jaelin
left-aligned image
Jaelin can't help but roll her eyes at the suggestion something might go wrong. "I'll be fine. But if you're worried, you and Clanks can come along. Just hang back and you can jump right in if things turn sour." After all, Clanks could obviously survive a lot, and Laarth was the most gifted healer among them, if only by divine blessing. "That will leave the more, you know, bookish two of you to find the answers you need here."

Ever proud of her own cleverness, Jaelin leans back in her chair and awaits what she's sure will be forthcoming agreement.

Old Sep 6th, 2022, 11:40 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
right-aligned image

Lasander
Human Alchemist

"I appreciate the vote of confidence," Lasander said in reply to Clanks' suggestion that he might learn something more of the Black Blood in the lab, "but I exhausted everything I could think of to learn that little that I did. Without getting my hands on an uncorrupted sample, there is little more I could learn."

"If you three are heading to the city, I can stay behind and help with the fae."

Old Sep 6th, 2022, 02:42 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Hopefully Hopeless
left-aligned image
"I do not think we should separate," Avaeril says, looking down with some clearly lacking confidence.

"Whatever challenges we face, they will be difficult. It took nearly all of us, and Helberht, to restrain just one crazed man afflicted with the Black Blood. As for the basement.. as much as I wish for a peaceful resolution, if the Fae cannot be placated, I feel I need every one of you for protection."

As Avaeril sat there at the table amongst the others, breathing softly, her words were beginning to sink in, and perhaps her peers were coming to a realization. This was the state she would always be in when confronting danger: clad in only some silly robes because of her silly traditions, and more often than not, armed with only a naive hope that they wouldn't have to do what their job frequently called them to do.

Almost as if that reality itself was setting in stone, her next words all but solidified it. "Uhm.. B-before any of you go, or we continue on with that discussion, I wanted to say one thing. It's.. it is nothing too important, just.. " Avaeril hesitated and trailed off a bit, blushing slightly. "W-well, some time soon, I want to conduct a little ceremony. It.. just involves my vows. Since you all have grown so close to me, I.. I think it would help for me to renew them in your presence. That way, you better understand the code I strive for. And as for me, I think your presence may help me keep them."
Old Sep 11th, 2022, 09:17 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Early MorningHarrod seems nonplussed as his former apprentices debate and argue their next course of action, instead the old Hunter continued to break his fast as he went over the reports drawn up by Scaberous over the month. Upon hearing his name Harrod looks up and smiles sadly at the elf. “All I can expect is for you to do your duty. I would wish we could settle this without even more bloodshed, but experiences thus far do not suggest it possible. A Hunter’s duty is to protect life, not end it. Though sadly sometimes ending a life is the only way to save many lives, as it was with those aberrations you faced not so long ago. Ultimately my greatest concern is for your safety and the safety of the Citadel and it’s students. I trust your judgements in this matter, especially as I will be too busy to deal with these matters directly.”

Last edited by Mrjoegangles; Sep 11th, 2022 at 09:17 AM.