twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Feb 20th, 2020, 05:16 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 86
Hoots
I do not envy you the decisions you have to make.

Good applications all around. Best of luck to everyone!
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 05:22 PM
Simple Storysmith
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14173
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Great work everyone. Lucky group whoever is chosen!
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 07:19 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9353
Therru Therru Therru Therru Therru Therru Therru Therru Therru Therru Therru
I've made my decision, and the party I've chosen is as follows:

Congratulations to those players accepted, and my deepest thanks to everyone who applied. I'm tremendously gratified by the strong response this game has generated, and have been continually impressed by the creativity of the applications it has received. I can quite honestly state that there were enough interesting and well-written characters here to build three full parties of adventurers, and if I thought I could do justice to all those stories simultaneously I would have done just that... but I think the CR would be a bit high for a first-level PbP DM.

If it's any consolation, you've all helped to influence the setting this game will take place in - Tenka will, I hope, continue to grow from the seeds you've collectively planted here. I also hope you're all happy to be placed on the reserves list for After the Quake - in the event that the treacherous ninja of Real Life spirit away any of my players, rest assured I'll be in touch!
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 07:28 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4723
Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine Ermine
I am doing an excite.
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 07:47 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1602
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
I think this might summarise my feelings:
left-aligned image

Last edited by Telcontar; Oct 1st, 2020 at 09:14 AM.
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 08:11 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 738
GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh GoombaJosh
No complaints here, I think you picked a great group for this campaign. And I'll gladly be on the reserves.
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 04:47 PM
Simple Storysmith
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14173
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Happy to be on reserves if that’s acceptable. Best of luck to the players and DM!
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 05:45 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3673
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
good luck and happy gaming!
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 10:39 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7863
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
I have failed my family and myself. I will now commit harakiri.
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 07:02 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
After The Quake is now open for applications! We are looking for 1 - 2 characters to replace our Shrine Maiden Cleric and cursed Dragonborn Warlock. Application details below! I'll summarise the story so far, but I encourage you to visit the game thread to get a feel for things.

Edit: if you applied first time around and would like to be considered again, just let me know before the deadline!

After The Quake A sudden storm wrecked a trading ship bound for Onokoro, Tenka's fallen capital. Among the crowd of onlookers were our heroes - some by chance, others by design - who rushed to help the wounded. The ship proved to be a gaijin trading vessel, and though its captain safely reached the shore he was immediately set upon by a mysterious group of anonymous assailants, led by a samurai with strange powers...

Our heroes intervened, fending off the attackers - who identified themselves as 'Yamato', though nothing more is known about them - and accompanied the captain and his suspect cargo safely to Onokoro (though there were some mixed feelings about it). In doing so, they have apparently drawn the attention of the city's so-called Daimyo, Nagamasa, a much-maligned individual. Answering his summons, the heroes were rewarded and made an offer of further work. The interview is going... fairly well, considering.

Applications Deadline: Saturday July 18th, 21:00 GMT

Level: 2nd
Ability Scores: 27 Point Buy
Wealth & Starting Equipment: As listed for your class and background - feel free to swap things out for other similarly-valued gear (as listed in the PHB)
Sources Permitted: Player's Handbook (PHB), Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (SCAG), Volo's Guide to Monsters (VGtM), Xanathar's Guide to Everything (XGtE), Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes (MToF)
Other Sources: No Mystic, and almost certainly no homebrew. Unearthed Arcana will be considered on a case-by-case basis

Last edited by Therru; Jul 10th, 2020 at 11:47 AM.
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 08:22 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9856
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Character Application
right-aligned image
right-aligned image

Name: Chu-Feng Li
Race: Yuan-Ti
Class: Warlock (Pact of the Tome)
Background: Any printed source permitted: custom backgrounds are also very welcome. I'm happy to collaborate on deciding your feature!
Personality Traits: I have very high standards for food, drink, and physical pleasures. I am driven by wanderlust and want to explore lands far from our cities.
Ideal: Inspiration. My actions set an example for the lesser castes to emulate.
Bond: I have an interest in an unsuitable mates, which I can’t suppress.
Flaw: I feel twinges of emotion, and it shames me that I am imperfect in this way.
Alignment: Neutral

Personality: Most who meet Chu-Feng would consider him cold and calculating upon first impression. Being a pureblood he does not share in the emotion of others, and does not let them affect his own demeanor. He believes his race superior to most others but even with his belief he is still fascinated by the other races and is very curious. HE observes others constantly trying to learn their mannerisms and ideals. Unlike the majority of his kind he does at times feel twinges of emotion which he attributes to his exposure to the other races. Even his interest in mating with some of the lesser races, make him different than most Yuan-Ti. While he is unemotional once he makes a friend he would risk his own life to aid them. Those who wrong him are not easily forgotten and he does hold grudges for a very long time.

Backstory: Chu-Feng hatched first among the clutch of eggs his mother had laid by more than a day. As such it was a sign or Omen to his mother that greatness was born into her son. From an early age he began to show an aptitude for magic. Many including his mother thought him a natural born sorceror. Chu-Feng though had an avid appetite for knowledge unlike most of his brethren. While others sought out training of a physical nature he sought solace in his studies. Again this was misinterpreted many believing his innate magical tendency was leading him to become a wizard.

His mother sending him to the local mages guild to be trained. Chu-Feng did well in his studies there but he was unable to perform the magic they attempted to teach him except in the shape of ritual magic. By the time he was a teenager he was expelled from the Mage's guild his mother took this as an ill omen. Ashamed she sent Chu-Feng away, calling upon a human she had once traveled with to train him. Chu-Feng felt the shame of his mother, and felt ashamed as well. When he arrived at the humans' residence he submitted to his training. His new Master Quan Shi recognized Chu-Fengs abilities for what they were and accepted him openly. During his time with Quan Shi Chu-Feng continued his study of arcane magic but also came to understand it was not the source of his own magic, his magic coming from another source entirely.

Chu-Feng began to study this connection deeply and in time came to believe his abilities originated from none other than Dendar the Night Serpent. Dendar had long been forgotten and he had only found a single mention of the primordial. Chu-Feng though was certain that was the origin of his power. Chu-Feng focused his studies on improving his gifts, and in time learned to control them fully. Once he had completed his studies with Quan Shi he bid his master farewell and set out into the world to continue his studies and expand his knowledge in doing so increasing his own power. Chu-Feng is driven to explore and takes great pleasures in going from place to place. He discovered a life of adventuring is most suitable to his tastes even if it means traveling with the lesser races. After all his most influential Master having been a human he is not quick to dismiss the other races gifts as quickly as most of his kind.

Why This Character? (OOC): I was really looking to explore a different type of Warlock and heading Pact of the Tome and The GreatOld One are not the most optimal paths power wise in comparison to some of the others, I think can be excellent in its own way. I am eager to make this caster more of a Ritualist to some extent his thirst for knowledge leading him to explore others types of magic other than just that provided to him by his patron. Over all I just think this would be a very fun character to role play in a group.

Last edited by JaredSyn; Jul 10th, 2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 02:53 PM
Kipplebobby Shadowhand

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 339
ShadSkad ShadSkad ShadSkad ShadSkad
Sorry i have to go to work but i want to leave a bit of a place holder (I will update this to the standards it should be tonight).

Race: Aasimar (Scourge)

Class: Cleric (Grave)

Alignment: Between True Neutral and Neutral Good

Personality: Friendly, somewhat shy, self conscious of his nature. Begrudging servant of the gods. Sometimes does good deeds in a state of apathy, sometimes even with a bit of scorn.

Why this character: This character just spoke to me at some point recently but i haven't found the right moment to bring him to life.

The struggles he has are similar to my own in that i myself have felt sheltered and yearn for the feeling of autonomy in my life.
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 01:13 AM
Very Old Sphinx

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1135
Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius Crucius
Work in Progress

Character Application
right-aligned image
Name: Ikehara Yoshiko
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Light Domain Cleric
Background: Courtier
Trait #1: I am very passionate about my cause and cannot stand others demeaning or dismissing it.
Trait #2: I can find common ground between the fiercest enemies.
Ideal: Nature. The wilds must be protected from the overreach of civilization.
Bond: I have pledged myself to the service of the great forest dragon Yamato. I will act as his envoy, defending the wilds from encroachment.
Flaw: Compared to my lord, all mortals are idiots. His will is the correct one.
Alignment: Lawful Good.
Personality:
Backstory:
Why This Character? (OOC):

Posting Rate: Very Slow, trying to keep up once a week at least
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 05:40 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the applications (and re-applications) so far! Good to see you again, JaredSyn and Crucius
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 06:14 PM
Astinus in disguise

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37298
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
The application is for my part complete, unless corrections are required.

Ito Jun / Ikari
right-aligned image
Name: Ito Jun, better known as angerIkari
Race: Aasimar (Scourge)
Class: Sorcerer (Draconic Bloodline)
Background: Folk Hero
Alignment: LG

Personality: Ito Jun is an individual believing in the traditional virtues of Tenkan civilization: integrity, respect, courage, honor, compassion, honesty and adherence to duty. He feels most at ease among the common folk of this great land because he finds that in their simplicity they usually embody the Tenkan ideal better than the often scheming and corrupted aristocrats. Despite being basically kindhearted, Jun is quick to anger when he perceives that good people are treated unfairly. He is not afraid to punish the guilty and has adopted the name „Ikari“ to signify this. In his eyes all of Tenka must unify and rise to chase away the invaders and he is more than willing to act as the Heavenly Dragon Emperor’s strong right hand in this endeavor.

Appearance: Ito Jun looks like a man in his early twenties, though he is in fact much younger than that. He is taller than the average Tenkan man, nimble and lithe. His hair is long and as black as the feathers of the Yatagarasu, though he dyes his topknot red to signify his connection with the Imperial family. A fight with a swordsman has left a permanent scar over his left eye, which instead of marring his appearance rather highlights his sky-blue eyes. The young man’s entire body and face is covered by tiny translucent dragon scales, though one must be very close to him to actually spot them.

Why this character?: I am very interested in the concept of a god turning into a mortal and have always wanted to roleplay such a character, though I haven’t had the chance yet. I think that the Aasimar race and the Draconic sorcerous bloodline correspond nicely to the character’s divine and draconic origins respectively and that this homebrew campaign setting is especially suitable for such an attempt. That doesn’t mean that the character is supposed to be more powerful than the other PCs or immortal. After all, two of the Tenryuu (in full dragon form) were brought down by their enemies. It is merely a way to connect the character to this very interesting world and act as a roleplaying inspiration.

@Therru: How did you imagine the Tenryuu, Therru? Only gold dragons, a group of metallic or chromatic ones or one dragon in the family for each standard color/metal? Should the character be accepted, it might be of importance to determine his exact powers/lineage.