RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-06-2019, 04:36 PM
The Butcher of Blaviken

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6823
undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib
Misty Fortunes and Absent Hearts

Game NameMisty Fortunes and Absent Hearts
Game System5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons
ThemeObsessions, Longing, Melancholia. Based on season four of D&D Adventurers' League.
FlavourBleak, Gothic horror in Barovia. Combat light, at least in the beginning.
Content AdvisoryWe will work within the confines of the PG13 rating of this forum. That being said, there will likely be descriptions of brutal violence, social inequity, mental illness and self-harm/suicide; as well as references to violence against children and animals, miscarriage/abortion and mental abuse. There will never be sexual violence in any form.

I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.
-Pablo Neruda, XVII (I Do Not Love You...)

Plot Summary:
right-aligned image
A young girl stands alone on a dusty path, her eyes transfixed. The cold wind blows her flimsy hair onto her freckled face. Behind her, the impoverished farmers and trappers of the village of Barovia have been worked into a tizzy. The Dark Lord has come to visit.

She has grown up under the shadow of Castle Ravenloft, under the shadow of Strahd. This is the first time she has seen the ageless Count, and she cannot take her eyes off. His bearing, the way he wields absolute power, it leaves an impression.

Time passes, and the daughter of a chandler grows into a beauty to behold. She is desired by many. But not, unfortunately, by the one she truly loves. Strahd’s love belongs to Tatyana Federovna, who occupies his thoughts completely. She is rejected, spurned, and ignored; all for some empty-headed girl that keeps her true love’s attention.

In her devotion, she enters into his service and becomes one of the Barovian Witches, an order which serves Strahd as some of his most powerful agents. She watches as the incarnations of her Lord's true love are taken away from him by the Dark Powers again and again. Always close to the object of her desire but never with her love, her bitterness grows. So does her power.

Worried about her fading beauty and dwindling lifespan, she is now motivated to attract Strahd’s attention at all costs. Even if it means tearing down the barriers of Strahd's realm and encompassing regions outside Barovia. She will scour the land and find a way to turn herself into an undying vision of Tatyana that can love and be loved by Strahd… forever.

The Setting: We will begin the game in the outskirts of the city of Phlan, which means the characters will be from Faerun. You will however, soon find yourselves transported to the realm of Barovia. Ideally, the characters would not have visited, or even heard of Barovia before. But a strong enough back story could convince me otherwise.

By the will of the Dark Powers, the sun never fully shines in the lands of Barovia. Even during the day, the sky is dimmed by fog or storm clouds, or the light is strangely muted. It is now winter, which means the weather is cold, wet, and stormy.

A dark sentience infuses the very soil of this realm, twisting and contorting everything within. In places where you would normally expect wildlife such as deer, rabbits, or squirrels, you instead find wolves, rats, and mangy dogs. Vegetation is rotted and dead, and forests are filled mostly with gnarled, thick trees with bare branches. Colorful, vivacious things simply do not exist. The people eke out a meagre existence, doing what they have to in order to survive. Like their environment, they are sullen, and often filled with fear and mistrust.

About the DM: Hello! I have been a part of this forum for over two years now, which is also the extent of my experience with RPG's. I have been DMing a game that has been running for more than a year with all of the original players still intact. I have received some reassuring feedback during that time, which has encouraged me to start a second game.

What I have discovered about myself is that I am a story-driven DM. I enjoy deep immersion, a sense of atmosphere, and a grounded, realistic feel. What I enjoy most though, is when players surprise me, coming up with interactions and solutions I couldn't have dreamt of!

About the Game: The fourth season of D&D Adventurer's League differs from all the others by the fact that all the modules interconnect to create a single, central storyline. In theory. The modules are definitely hit or miss! I have, however, been able to string together the content into something interesting and meaningful. I have been running it for some friends irl and enjoying it quite a bit. A heavy, story based campaign like this seemed ideally suited for the pbp format. So here we are!

Like I said, this is a heavy, horror themed game. The darkness is obtrusive. Victories will be hard-fought, and often pyrrhic. There will be occassional humour of course, if only to break the unrelenting gloom. Combat encounters will be infrequent, often avoidable, but usually deadly.

As for Strahd himself? He may or may not make an appearance. Who knows? He is wily like that!

Expecation from Players: I am looking for six players for this game. The selection criteria, if I get more than six applications, will be...

1) Strength of character description, backstory and RP sample (including potential hooks for the DM),
2) Quality of writing (good spelling and grammar, creative, vivid, and entertaining) and
3) Least of all, mechanics and team composition.

Other considerations:

Post Rate: From running my current game, I have discovered that a consistent posting rate is crucial for the success of a game. We will aim for a rate of 3 DM posts per week, which translates to a post every alternate day. In general, I will wait for 72 hours between DM posts before advancing the story.

Alignment: No evil alignments, please. I think of alignment as no more than a shortcut to quickly sum up a character's usual disposition. No one is lawful or good or even evil all the time. What I am saying is, I am looking for characters who are generally heroic and want to help the helpless.

Character CreationLevel: Players start at level 2. We will finish the game somewhere around level 7. Full HP at level 1, then average thereafter.

Stats: 27 Point buy. Do not roll any dice in this thread.

Books allowed: PHB, XGtE, SCAG, DMG, Aasimar, Firbolg and Goliath races from Volo's. Bear in mind that Barovia is 99% human and unusual races will not be treated favorably. No UA with the sole exception of the Revised Ranger.

Equipment, gold etc: You can choose to roll for gold or take standard equipment as per the PHB.

You do not need a completed character sheet in order to apply. It is not a detriment if you do create one.

ApplicationsHere is what I am looking for in an application.

Name:
Race:
Class:
Alignment:

Background: Any. Custom traits, bonds, ideals, flaws and quirks that go with your character history and personality are strongly encouraged. The 'Haunted One' background from Curse of Strahd is available.

Physical Description: (1 paragraph) An image is appreciated, though not mandatory. We will need one later for battle maps, but we can sort it out then. If you need any help with resizing, recoloring etc, send me a PM. I'm your guy!

Personality: (1 paragraph) Give me an idea of how your character deals with people and situations.

Character Bio: (no more than 3 paragraphs) When the game begins, your character will have been travelling to Phlan, sheltering at the Crossroads Inn for the night. Give me an idea of your life until that point. Feel free to create NPC's, locations, pantheons, whatever you need. Bear in mind, your PC begins at level 2, so you do have a little adventuring under your belt.

Roleplay Sample: Below is a list of questions/prompts. Choose one of them and create a RP sample as your character. Let us hear your character's voice, and see who they really are. This part has been stolen shamelessly from Wainamoinen.
  • Describe a romantic encounter your character has had, that they will never forget.
  • Your character was once given wise advice from a stranger. Show us that scene.
  • Your character was once frightened by either fire or water. Describe what happened.
  • While still young, you were betrayed by someone you trusted. The wounds have never fully healed. What happened?
  • Where you grew up, there was an annual event that was always special to you. Let us see why it was special.

Application deadlineTentatively, Friday, October 25, 12:00 midnight UTC. I mean, October 31st would be a good day to start this particular game!

Last edited by undeadrajib; 10-06-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:11 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5110
Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon
APPLICATION – Bren Mistel
right-aligned image

Name: Bren Mistel
Race: Human (variant)
Class: Wizard
Alignment: Neutral Good

Background: Cloistered Scholar

Physical Description:
Bren looks ill-favoured and underfed. His hair is dark and lank but his face clean shaven. He dresses his thin frame in what appears to be clerk’s clothes, a simple dark suit, that has seen better days. In truth this is precisely what they are, his clerk's clothes - he lacks a change to more practical clothing. His distinctive top-hat is quite out of place in the ports of Moonsea, but the habits of the famous Waterdeep Font run deep. He’s most often seen clutching a well-weathered leather portfolio bag. This bag, when opened, reveals a mess of papers carelessly thrust in with no apparent order. In the tavern he will likely to be found sat in a corner leafing through these papers, completing some task in favour of a client.

Personality:
Bren is uncertain of himself. He comes over as nervy, either disappearing into his notes, or over-compensating with chattiness. This is a front to hide his inner turmoil. With the disappearance of his master he has been at once set free and abandoned. His abandonment-freedom brings a strange mix of caution, a need to belong, and the desire to define himself for himself for the first time since he was nine. Add to this, all his learned behaviours and manners are out of place in this region and his accent marks him out as an other. Even a traveller from the Sword Coast would be quick to spot his lowly origins as out of place with his clothes and deportment.

Role play samples

Couldn't resist the temptation to do two. Let me know if you want me to pick just one!

Last edited by Jon; 10-11-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:30 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 895
DrSabek DrSabek DrSabek DrSabek DrSabek DrSabek DrSabek
right-aligned image

Name: Joshua Slythe
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Warlock (Hexblade from XgtE)
Alignment: CN (Leaning on CG)
Background: Slave
Personality: Due to his experience as a slave, Joshua has trouble listening to authority figures. He is fiercely protective of anyone he thinks may be weaker than him, as well as his friends. While he will never turn down the right price, he will take any job that involves freeing those who are unjustly suffering.
Ideal: Freedom. A civilization should never be built off the suffering of others
Bond: I will fight for those who cannot fight for themselves
Flaw: I am secretly terrified of losing my power and becoming helpless again

Physical Description: Medium height, with a slight build, Joshua's most striking feature is his long red hair. A hard look can always be seen in his green eyes. Despite this, he always has a ready smile for anyone he deems his friend.

Character Bio: Joshua started life as a merchant, and made a decent name for himself for always dealing honestly and fairly. When he was 25, he had already built up a small army of caravans. This all changed when he attempted to open trade with Phlan. His caravan was attacked and all were slaughtered, except for Joshua and his sister, Vienne. As leader, he was instead captured as a slave. Vienne, due to her beauty, was taken by gypsies. Joshua never saw her again.

Joshua spent the next four years being beaten and broken, until one day he managed to get his hands on a sword. Whether is was actually a magical blade to begin with, or a product of his tortured mind, Joshua heard the blade speak to him. In exchange for the power to free himself, Joshua bound himself to the weapon, awakening power within himself. This power allowed him to slaughter his captors and free his fellow slaves, guiding them safely out of the city.

Thus changed, Joshua dedicated his life to finding others who are enslaved and freeing them from captivity, killing slavers with ruthless glee. Rumors have begun spreading in the Phlan underground of a wraith who preys on any who would oppress. Despite this, Joshua still keeps a vigil for any sign of his sister, the one person he was never able to save.

Roleplay Sample: His day began like those before; a harsh kick to the ribs rousing him from slumber. Joshua hauled himself wordlessly to his feet, awaiting his first order of the day. The man before him grinned drunkenly at him, saliva dripping messily from the few rotting teeth still in his mouth.

"Come on, wretch," the man wheezed. "Get to work. Yer cleanin' my room today."

With a bent head, Joshua took the proffered broom and began sweeping out the slob's room. Thoughts of his sister filled his mind. What nightmares could she be enduring? He hoped it wasn't anywhere as bad as the hell he endured. That, or she was dead. At this point, that would be a mercy. A lone tear slipped from his eye, falling like a stone to the ground.

As he was sweeping near the one corner of the room, Joshua was surprised to hear a voice, as smooth as a razor slicing over a man's neck, whisper to him. " You there. Pick me up. Together we can be rid of this place. I see in you the potential for great things. I can unlock in you the power to defeat those that would harm you." With a small start, Joshua realized the voice was coming from the sword mounted on the wall. Joshua hesitated. Could it be this easy? After all this time, all his attempts to escape, could the answer be in this inanimate piece of metal?

"Oi! Get back te work!" the brute yelled, picking up his cudgel and moving toward Joshua. Seeing the detestable thug stomping toward him was all it took. All the pain, humiliation, and torture he'd endured suddenly bubbled up.

As though in a dream, Joshua took hold of the sword's hilt. As he did, something clicked in his mind. He spun like a dancer, smoothly parting the man's head from his shoulders. As he left the room, other guards called out in surprise and alarm. Arcane energy surged up in Joshua, and he began the work of death. Much to his surprise, it was as easy as sweeping the floor had been, and before he knew it, he stood alone before the other slaves.

"Come," he said to the cowering wretches. "We have a long journey ahead of us." Then, for the first time in four years, he smiled.

Last edited by DrSabek; 10-13-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:22 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1838
silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers
Well this looks exciting. I am up for something dark and story driven. Now just need to make a character.
Tower graduate #820
Old 10-07-2019, 02:43 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1319
Vaynol Vaynol Vaynol Vaynol Vaynol Vaynol Vaynol Vaynol Vaynol Vaynol
Wow....just wow. I’m totally down for this one.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:10 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1922
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
I LOVE this; going to try and come up with something ASAP.

Question: given the heavy story elements of the game, would you be less likely to pick martial classes like fighter that typically don’t normally shine outside combat?
Old 10-07-2019, 09:26 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1922
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Application Complete
Father Julian
right-aligned image

JULIAN BLACKWOOD
”Father Julian”

Race: Ghostwise Halfling
Class: Knowledge DomainCleric 1/Going with Inquisitive archetypeRogue 1
Background: Harrowing Event: I was the sole survivor after a hoard of barbarians razed my temple to the ground. I still don’t know why they attacked us...
Personality Traits:
- I often mutter to myself when I’m thinking.
- I keep a notebook full of seemingly random thoughts and observations.
Ideal: Knowledge. Knowledge is power... and until I find a new purpose in my life, I will wield knowledge and logic against the forces of chaos.
Bond: What happened to me was violent and senseless. Hopefully I can do my part to spare others from knowing my pain.
Flaw: I am a functioning alcoholic... my mind is only my friend as long as I’ve had a drink recently.
The Haunted One
Alignment: Neutral

Physical Description: At 44, Father Julian looks older than he is, weathered by his years on the road living out of inns, temples, and the bottle. He has medium length, wild silver hair, and a thick mustache and beard covering a hardened face, with a sizable scar over one eye. His clothing, while moderately fine in origin, has a ragged appearance indicative of a man who has lost much. Somewhat stocky, Julian’s run down appearance belies surprising strength and quickness.

Personality: Father Julian is a hard-drinking, solemn man that holds his cards close to his chest. He has a quiet and reserved demeanor, preferring to observe situations before involving himself, if at all. He thinks before he acts, and he speaks deliberately and carefully when providing council. While not outwardly social, Julian is not unkind to others, though he can be judgmental, and makes it a point to avoid fools.
StoryBackstory:

Roleplay Sample:

Last edited by Touketsu; 10-15-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:32 AM
All Bark & Husky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2669
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
I have more than enough games to get busy with, but this is too good to pass up!

*COMPLETE, PENDING FEEDBACK!*
Character Application
right-aligned image
Name: Abel Highgallows
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Fighter (Eldritch Knight)
Alignment: Neutral Good

Background: Trait: The book is mightier than the sword; luckily I know how to use both.
Ideal: Knowledge. Knowledge is power, and power can be used for good, if used wisely.
Bond: A great evil haunts the realms and even my very steps, yet I don't possess enough knowledge to stop it.
Flaw: Sometimes I think with my heart, and talk out of my arse.
Sage

Physical Description: Streaks of white break Abel's once raven-black shoulder-length hair, and his thick, full beard that reached his collar bones. The man's broad shoulders and well-defined musculature wouldn't normally belong to one who read so much, but the man lived a hard life; one where fighting for one's life was commonplace. He stands at a height of six feet and two inches and walks confidently with a two swords on his back and small throwing axes on his hips; he carries no shield. His sunken pale blue eyes are lined and haggard, bearing the marks of one who has experienced profound sorrow, but there is a certain kindness to them too; at least that's what some have described them. Whether or not Abel actually possessed such is hard to tell with the blank set of his hard, square-jawed face.

Personality: Unlike most scholars who prattle convoluted verbiage and are generally boring farts, Abel does not wear his knowledge as an ornament; he wields it like one wields a sword. He knows the power of lore, and like any other tool, knowledge should be used judiciously and effectively according to the need at hand. Thus, Abel Highgallows defies the image of the dim-witted mercenary who knows only how to kill and pillage; real warfare involves expert use of both body and mind. Given the chance, Abel would prefer to tackle a problem such as the killing of a strange or exotic beast for example, armed with knowing everything he could about it; both by perusing what information is available in the local library, and by observing the enemy in actual combat. He wouldn't be the first person to rush in heedlessly to a battle or blurt out a secret therefore, except for the rare occasion where he uses his heart rather than his brain.

Character Bio:

Roleplay Sample:

Last edited by DanshiiWithWulfs; Today at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:09 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 139
The Dark Star The Dark Star

Old 10-08-2019, 09:20 PM
The Butcher of Blaviken

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6823
undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib
Thank you for your interest, everyone! I am excited to see where these character go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touketsu View Post
I LOVE this; going to try and come up with something ASAP.

Question: given the heavy story elements of the game, would you be less likely to pick martial classes like fighter that typically don’t normally shine outside combat?
Not at all! The players decide how much or how little they want to interact with the story elements. More than that though, the character's story is just as, if not more important. And everyone has a story
Old 10-08-2019, 11:48 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 439
keylan keylan keylan keylan keylan
Name: Magnus Darkstone
Race: Tiefling
Class:Ranger, Revised
Alignment:CG

Background: The Haunted One
Harrowing Event: You did terrible things to avenge the murder of someone you loved. You became a
monster, and it haunts your waking dreams.
Ideal: I kill monsters to make the world a safer place, and to exorcise my own demons
Bonds: A terrible guilt consumes me. I hope that I can find redemption through my actions.
Flaws: I have certain rituals that I must follow every day. I can never break them.

Physical Description: Magnus stands just short of 6 feet tall with shoulder length white hair.
Magnus’ skin is pearly black with gold marble veins. Magnus’ Pupils/irises look like a
highly reflective metal and act as mirrors. He has an old and faded scar that runs from the
left side of his head toward the right ending near his chin. Magnus wears black studded leather
armor, a dark green (nearly black) cloak, his clothing, pants, and shirt are tailored to fit his
athletic build. His boots are nicely polished without a shine to them. Over his shoulder is a
well-made long bow along with a long sword and dagger sheathed around his waist. His quiver
and scabbard for his weapons are all black leather and well taken care of. His bow and arrows
are made of a strange black wood, on the pommel of his sword and dagger is the likeness of a
wolf.

Personality:Magnus has a quiet confidence about him. He is quiet and reserved upon first
meeting people. Once he allows people into his inner circle he will do anything to help them
even if it means laying down his own life.

Character Bio: Magnus grew up in the wilds outside of Phlan, a place he was never been
allowed to visit. His mother, a human, Magnus never met his father and what little information
he was able to get out his mother, he was not known for his patience nor his soft handedness. It is
rumored that Magnus’ mother was an unwilling participant in some sort of unholy ritual, the
details are sketchy at best. As Magnus grew up in the wilds he soon learned that he possessed
certain skills, tracking of animals came easily to him, he also found that living off the land or
long periods of time was where he felt the most comfortable.

As Magnus got older and bolder, he decided to venture further into the forest than ever before.
He grabbed his trusty gear (bow and arrows, longsword and dagger) and headed out. After a few
hours travel he came upon an old trail that looked like it had not been used in quite some time.
Being the adventures type Magnus took the trail, which lead deeper and deeper into the dark
forest. Eventually Magnus came into a small clearing with ancient pillars around the edges. In
the center was a large slab of black stone with red veins running through it. As Magnus got
closer he noticed what appeared to be a humanoid bound to the slab, keeping to the shadows
Magnus was able to approach the slab and realized that the body on the slab was still alive.
Taking a quick look around and not seeing anyone, Magnus approached as quietly as possible.

Looking over the bound body, Magnus had to take a second to make sure that his eyes were not
deceiving him. The body on the slab looked very similar to Magnus himself. Magnus had never
met another being who looked like him, everyone he met was a human like his mother. The man
turned to Magnus and with pleading eyes asked for his release, which Magnus quickly granted.
After Magnus and the stranger were safely away, the man introduced himself as Toren. The
following years together went quickly while Toren taught Magnus all he knew of the wilds and
the best way to slay the undead, both Toren and Magnus’ chosen enemies.

Role Play Sample: WIP
Old 10-10-2019, 05:49 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1838
silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers silverfeathers
Application complete.

Marybeth Quinn
right-aligned image

Name: Marybeth “Beth” Quinn
Race: Human
Class: Warlock (archfey)
Alignment: NG

Background: merchant/hermit

Personality trait: I believe that anything worth doing is worth doing right. I can’t help it- I’m a perfectionist when it comes to my work.

Ideal: My talents were given to me so that I could use them to benefit the world.

Bond: I entered seclusion to hide from the ones who might still be hunting me. I must someday confront them.

Flaw: I’m quick to assume that someone is trying to cheat me.

Physical Description:
Tall and thin for a woman, Beth has always been harassed by her family and strangers alike about her weight. The long hours she works as an herbalist leave her little time to cook, eat or worry about her appearance. She dresses in simple clothes of leggings, tall boots, shirt, tunic and traveling cloak. Her chocolate brown hair is usually tied up in a braid.

Personality:
Marybeth is a smart but reserved woman. She had always been shy as a child but tried hard when she was in a new town or city to be more outgoing. But something she either did or said seemed to put people off and they would then begin to avoid her. Still she persists in dealing with people by putting on a smile and completing orders as they come in without complaint. She tries to find a logical answer to her problems and is quick and efficient in her work. Since the passing of her husband she has had a harder time making long-term relationships with others as they always seem to find some fault or reason to break off their friendship.

Character Bio:
Marybeth was born in on the shores of DragonmereMarsember to some fairly successful apothacarists. Even as a young child Beth had a knack for finding herbs, spices and plants in their city, both wild and imported on ships. Her parents used this odd ability to grow their business and trained Beth as their apprentice. While out collecting wild plants one day Marybeth became disoriented and lost in the fog and swamps around Marsember. Unwittingly she followed a will-o-whisp deeper into the swamplands. After what felt like hours of endless walking, trailing the whisp, Beth fell in the mud and began to beg for some relief or escape from her predicament. A spirit of the swamp came to her and agreed to lead her out of the swamp under the condition that Beth return with a gift for the spirit. She agreed and was almost immediately returned to the edge of the swamp facing town. Beth had been missing for three days when she walked back into town covered in mud and tree moss. Just a week or two after returning from the swamp Marybeth found herself engaged to be married to a merchant from Highmoon. Her parents had been quietly arranging it as Marybeth had shown little initiative in finding a husband for herself. She was quickly sent off to her new husband before Beth could return to the swamp to fulfill her end of the deal.

Beth’s new husband, Johnathan Quinn, was a strict man. She quickly realized that he, like her parents, was exploiting her gift of plants to advance his business. As long as Marybeth met his work quotas she was allowed to go to town or the forest and have some free time away from him. This went on for a few years, Johnathan becoming more demanding and holding an ever short leash on Beth. During one of her brief reprieves from Johnathan the swamp spirit appeared to her reminding her of her unfulfilled agreement she had with it. Marybeth had completely forgotten about it as she had been consumed by the workload put on her by her husband. Becoming distraught at her forgotten promise Marybeth pleaded with the spirit once more to assist her. Once again the spirit transported Marybeth, this time to her husband’s study. It then disappeared inside Beth. She can recall little to nothing of the next events that unfolded, only that she found herself inside the burning remains of her home holding the burned body of Johnathan.

Rumors abounded that Marybeth was a witch or she was possessed by a demon. No one could understand how she was unharmed after being found inside her burned out house. Any acquaintances that Beth once had in Highmoon evaporated overnight. Truly it was her husband that had everyone’s ear. With him gone Marybeth was little more than an apprentice again. Beth now travels town to town providing what remedies she can and trying to start a new life. She currently finds herself in Phlan needing to stock up on supplies and a night’s rest after a few terrible days on the road.

Roleplay Sample:
The candle was burning low and Marybeth’s eyes were tired from a long day’s work of writing and filling medicinal herbs. She sighed as she pulled one last jar off the shelf for the Crandall family’s cough. As she brought the jar down it slipped from her fingers, landed on the candle and sent hot wax flying.

“Ouch!” Beth exclaimed picking the burning wax from her scarred hands. She stared at the guttering candle on its’ side becoming lost in thought as she rubbed at new and old burns. Memories Beth wished she could forget came back to life as she stared at the overturned candle.

The swirl of leaves that obscured Marybeth’s vision subsided revealing that she had been transported back home, in the hallway outside her husband’s study. A cold, damp hand rested on her shoulder and a voice like wind in reeds spoke to her, “You must break this chain on your own. But I will lend you my power. Remember your promise to me.” The pressure of the hand vanished as a cold shiver went down Beth’s back. She took a few deep breaths to try to steady her nerves but it did not seem to help.

Beth pushed open the door to the study and walked in, “Johnathan, I can’t live like this anymore,” she said approaching his desk.

‘Live like what my dear,” her husband asked not looking up from his ledger.

“Like a prisoner in my own home.”
Beth answered. The cold feeling crept down her arms and up her neck. She couldn’t hear Johnathan’s answer as a rushing noise filled her ears.

The next thing Beth knew she was standing in the middle of the study, now engulfed in flames. Johnathan was shouting and pulling at her to move, Marybeth shook her head at him still unable to hear his words. Paper fluttered about like butterflies in the hot air. Books fell of the shelves, pieces of wood began to clatter from the ceiling.

“Beth! Get out,” Johnathan shouted his voice finally reaching her. The rushing noise stopped filling Marybeth’s ears now filled with the crackling of her home burning around her. He extended a hand to Beth seeing she seemed to have come back to her senses.
Beth reached out and took his hand. CRACK! A beam fell between them smashing into their hands, separating them. The fire continued to rage until it burned everything it could of the house.

In the end the house was a complete loss. Nothing could be salvaged as it had burned very hot and fast. Johnathan was gone as well. Marybeth had been found sitting in the middle of the charred remains covered in ash and soot. Her cloths heavily singed and a terrible burn on her right hand. Otherwise she was unharmed.

The wax had cooled on her hand as Beth picked it off. “This is a sign I should go to bed. No use burning this place down too,” she concluded picking up the candle and blowing it out.
Tower graduate #820

Last edited by silverfeathers; 10-13-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:46 PM
Watcher of the Myst

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 916
mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch
Sol, the Aasimar Barbarian

SolName:
Sol Ballare

Race:
Scourge Aasimar

Class:
Barbarian (aiming for Zealot)

Alignment:
Neutral Good

Background:
Acolyte

Traits:
I've spent so long in the temple that I have little practical experience dealing with people in the outside world.

I try to keep a leash on my emotions, as they tend to sway the radiant flame within me.

Ideal:
Charity. I always try to help those in need, no matter what the personal cost.

Bond:
I am deeply indebted to the priests of Lathander who taught me how to control my powers.

Flaw:
I am scared of the damage that I can do, and sometimes I question if my abilities are truly holy if they are so harmful to people.

Physical Description:
Sol is of average height and muscular build, a feature often hidden by his penchant for wearing hooded cloaks. His hair is shoulder-length and white, and his eyes have blue-grey irises when they're not aglow. His facial expressions tend to be serene and solemn, although one cannot usually see them as he wears a featureless steel mask.

Personality:
Sol is friendly but keeps people at a distance; he is a man with a mission, and while he knows how to enjoy companionship, his duties are his priority. There is an undercurrent of seriousness and calm in all that he does, and he can be unflappable even in the most shocking scenarios. That said, as to be expected of an Aasimar, he has a strong sense of justice, and will fight to protect the innocent.

Character Bio:
He was but a child when his nature as an Aasimar was revealed--- both his parents were normal humans--- and the revelation was explosive, to say the least. To learn to control his radiant powers, he was sent to a monastery of the clerics of Lathander.

From omens in his dreams, from the angel bonded to him, Seraphina, and similar omens that came to the clerics, it was foretold that he was to be a warrior for the faith. While he was uncertain how he felt about this, he did desire to help people, and so he trained in martial combat.

Once his trainers, the clerics, and his angelic guide deemed him ready, he was sent on missions to aid the oppressed. Sometimes he'd be given enough information, sometimes it would be vague... like right now, where he was simply told to go to this town, Phlan...

Roleplay Sample:
The wolves snarled.

His father and mother readied their spears at their sides, but Sol didn't know if they could fend the whole pack off. He'd heard from people and read from books that wolves were really good at helping each other, and those slobbering fangs were really scary.

He had to do something. Anything. He couldn't just stand here, even if he was just a kid. Wasn't there anything he could use? What else did they have... this torch?

The wolves howled and charged. Spears pierced and teeth snapped. Panic and adrenaline surged within him, and he tried to strike the wolf that passed closest to him with the flaming brand.

The most it did was annoy the creature, and quickly it pinned him down.

"Sol!" he heard his father say, in worry, but he was too busy skewering and trying not to get bitten. Should he have not gotten the attention of the wolves? Would he have been safer that way? But wouldn't that mean this wolf would have attacked his father or his mother instead? Is this what it's like to have your life flash before your eyes---

---if only these flames could be more. I need more flames. Flames to burn that which threaten me---

Light erupted from within him. Searing light and fire danced, sending the wolf back in surprise, his fur seared and his eyes blinded. The boy Sol rose, emboldened, and struck the wolf with the torch, whose flames have become white and brighter. The wolf was stung, barking in fright, and began to run away...

"Dad! Mom! It's okay now! I got this shiny flame thing and they're running... away..."

His father and mother had... burns. They were... keeping their distance from him. Did he... did he... burn them? Was this his fault? His fire's fault? No. No. Die down. Die down already! He fell unto the grassy ground, rolling and trying to put himself out.

...he woke up in a cold sweat. That dream again, huh...

Fire was frightening. Even when you were the torch.

I'm not sure if I'm completely okay with horror, but I did play a bit of Curse of Strahd before and as long as we're PG-13 I'll live, I think. XD

I shall swear no oaths, but I will be here, and if I cannot, I shall tell you.

Last edited by mystwatch; 10-13-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:19 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5110
Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon
Hey Undeadrajib ... I'm pretty happy with my character (at least as two-weeks to go draft).

Will you be giving feedback (secreted, PM or open)?

Hopefully looking forward to taking Bren into gothic world Barovia ... it'll scare the poor chap to death!
Old 10-12-2019, 10:38 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34261
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
HiHowdy undeadrajib and gang. Great game app. Would love to be part of this!

right-aligned image
Name: Julian Tootwaft Flurglehorn
Race: Forest Gnome
Class: Rogue - arcane trickster
Alignment: NG
Background: Urchin, due to a couple years as a stowaway on an alien spaceship

Description
Slightly over-sized eyes that border on crazy. He wears scruffy overalls with only one strap and a shirt stained with mud and oil.

Personality
Jules is a cross between Tasslehoff Burrfoot, and Jack Walters from the Call of Cthulhu. Comedy relief with a hint of insanity. He likes people and is curious about everything, except when it comes to dark places or anything that might remind him of being held captive by creepy aliens. He sometimes likes to wear a hat made of tin foil for protection.
Jules has three fears:
1. He's slowly changing into an illithid.
2. That the aliens will come back to get back at him for stealing their special rock (see Most Evil Thing).
3. That his alien abduction never really happened, and he's basically going insane.

Character bio
Only a few days before Jules met up with the group of adventurers who would eventually become this group, he had just fled his home village of Happytree as an outcast. Forest gnomes don't shun one of their own lightly -- usually it's only after years of therapy. But in Jules' case, he posed a danger to all, and his mental delusions were far outside anything the gnomish mental health community was equipped to deal with.

Jules talks to anyone who might stop to listen to his tale... "There I was, just fishing in the splashywinkle like any other day, when suddenly these tall, ugly creatures appeared next to me. They had horrible white eyes and these disgusting tentacle beards. They grabbled me and hauled me onto their ship. But it wasn't normal boat, it was a ship that could fly into space!"

It's here that he typically pauses for dramatic effect, shooting his hand straight up into the air. "They started doing all sorts of tests, poking and priddling me all over! For months and months they kept it up, until I started hearing their thoughts. I think they were trying to see if I could move things with my brain or something. In any case, one day their head honcho came in to check on the progress of the experiments, and he (I think it was a he) got really mad when he saw me. Apparently these aliens were supposed to kidnap a halfling, but they can't tell a gnome from a hobbit, so they took me by mistake." He shrugs innocently.

"They threw me out of the lab and basically ignored me after that. I guess they thought that I'd be eaten or killed by one of the other nasties on their twisted ship... but I survived! I hid as a stowaway on the spacecraft for a loooong time. I learned that in order to get something called a "statistically valid temporal demographic" the aliens had to keep returning to the same day to steal people. So on the next visit back to this world, I got away!"

"When I got back to my village, it was just a few hours after I had left! Nobody believed that I had been gone for years. They thought I was crazy, and then the episodes started. I had bad dreams that tentacles were growing out of my face. One time, when I woke up, I was trying to suck out my sister's brain! Of course, it was only a nightmare and all I ended up doing was sticking my tongue in her ear, but it was still gross! It kept happening, along with some other weird stuff, so eventually it just seemed best that I leave Happytree for good. That's how I became a wanderer."

Most evilest thing he's ever done, and future hook: The day Jules fled the spaceship, he stole this little chuck of rock that's a piece of the alien's home world. When a new generation of illithids are spawned in the great elder brain's pool of goop, a little piece of this rock must be dissolved in the liquid with them, or else all the baby aliens will have the illithid equivalent of ADD. (which means they can't use their fancy psychic powers, take that!)

Special note: If accepted, I'd like to play Jules's arcane trickster magic as more like psychic abilities resulting from Illithid testing. Just for flavor only.

Roleplay sample included in Bio. Hope that's ok.

Thanks for your consideration!