RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-07-2019, 01:21 AM
Let the Wookie Win
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1106
chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m chri2m
Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus

Game NameBaldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeFrom Urban Mysteries to Nine Hells Questing (and back again)
FlavourBalance between character development and adventure following the latest WoTC module
Plot SummaryThe holy city of Elturel has disappeared from the Forgotten Realms and descended into Avernus, the first layer of the Nine Hells. This event came about as the result of an infernal bargain between the archdevil Zariel, who rules Avernus, and the treacherous High Overseer of Elturel, Thavius Kreeg. Zariel is capturing cities and using their citizens as fodder in the ongoing conflict between demons and devils known as the Blood War.

Next on Zariel's list of cities is Elturel's neighbor, Baldur's Gate. The characters can be the heroes who descend into Avernus, save Elturel from certain destruction, and prevent a similar fate from befalling Baldur's Gate.
ApplicationPicture
Name
Race I'm ok with anything official from WoTC, except tieflings (it's the obvious choice). If you have a character concept that you're really dying to play, let's chat.
Gender Expression
Beginning Class And intended subclass, regardless of level. I'll only be accepting 1 paladin and 1 cleric.
Alignment No evil
Deity If applicable

Background Feel free to customize and mix & match
Personality Trait(s) Choose or roll from any backgrounds
Ideal(s) Same
Bond(s) Ditto
Flaws(s) Likewise

Backstory/Key Event Long or short, whatever form you find best to tell me about your character. If it's easier to provide backstory in prose and key event as RP, go for it.

Please answer one or both of the following:
  • What would you provide as a member of the party?
  • What would you want to see provided by other members of the party?
Character sheets are not necessary at this point. Please do not roll in this thread. We will be using a customized rolling method for ability scores that we'll take care of together.

Application Deadline: EDIT: Date is flexible; probably no later than October 20,

Applications

Player Character Race Class Subclass Background Gender Exprs Alignment Age Status
The Dark Star Hawk Lightfoot Human, Variant Barbarian Path of the Totem Outlander (Scout) Male LG 21 Complete
Houtoku Jacob Graham Human, Variant Warlock Pact of the Tome Haunted One Male CN 35 WIP
mystwatch Rhyme Spiritborn Kalashtar Monk Way of the Four Elements Amnesiac Male NG 20-ish Complete
AidynMcKinney Nikolai Moon-Wanderer High Elf Warlock Pact of the Tome Noble Male CN 109 Complete
Grouchy tbd Wood Elf Druid Circle of the Land tbd Female tbd tbd Withdrawn
Pinotage Cora Grorx Ghostwise Halfling Druid Moon Slave Female NG 22 Complete
Mrjoegangles Justicar Galen Banefinn Human Cleric Order Investigator Male LN 55 Complete
Togot Weeping Willow Human Wizard Illusionist Sage Male NG 44 Complete
Zegethys Zildrul Protector Aasimar Cleric/Sorcerer Life/Divine Soul Acolyte Male NG 20 Complete
JaredSyn Sinutah Half-Orc Fighter Archer Folk Hero Female CG 16 Complete
RetiredTownGuard John Quinn Half-Orc Rogue Thief Criminal Male CG 14 Complete
Treble83 Maggie Bell Human, Variant Rogue Inquisitive City Watch Female LG 37 Complete
Skid Badger Tabaxi Bard Lore Entertainer Male CG 18 Complete

Q&A

Character creationI'm happy to say that character builds are really starting to solidify. Before they get set in stone, however, I wanted to provide a little peak into how we'll be determining stats. This is just an overview - there will be more details available once the game thread is fully created.

I like characters with flaws, both narrative and mechanical. It requires characters to rely more on one another's strengths to succeed as a group and tell a well-developed story. To ensure these mechanical quirks (both low and high), I tend to steer away from the ordinary standard array or 27-point buy. What I don't want to do is dictate how you create your character.

I have a quirky method that's worked well with my IRL games that I'd like to try here:

Players have 60 score points to distribute at will over 5 abilities; max of 16 before race/class bonuses. The sixth ability, determined by dice roll, has a score of 7. You can check out more details in the game thread.

Once you're invited to the game, you're in. Anyone is free to changed their character build at any time prior to the start of the adventure. I imagine the low score should be reflected in a character's backstory somehow. (For example, a wizard with a DEX -2 could have a leg injury that never healed properly.) If your low score is vital to your build, you are free to scrap it and start again.

Last edited by chri2m; Yesterday at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:45 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 139
The Dark Star The Dark Star
Hawk Lightfoot

Hawk Lightfoot
Race: Human (Variant)
Gender Expression: Male
Class/Sub-Class: Barbarian/Path of the Totem
Alignment: Lawful Good
Deity: Amaunator

Background: Outlander (Scout)
Personality Trait(s): I place no stock in wealthy or well-mannered folk. Money and manners won’t save you from a hungry owlbear.
I work hard so that I can play hard when the work is done.
Ideal(s): Community - We have to take care of each other, because no one else is going to do it. (Lawful)
Bond(s): I suffer awful visions of a coming disaster and will do anything to prevent it.
Flaws(s): I speak without really thinking through my words, invariably insulting others.

Backstory: Hawk grew up within a small community that travelled the lands stopping only to replenish supplies and to work. They are best known for their skills in scouting and tracking, when hunters are after something, such as a rare animal, demon, or bounty, they will often seek out his people to help find them. He gladly followed in their footsteps and learned whatever he could from his elders, first by gathering fruits and vegetables with the other children and the senior members, then to setting up and putting down there huts, to skinning and cutting up the meat from the hunter's kills, to finally being able to take part in a hunting party.

He was taught the ancient art of tapping into his emotions for protection and strength, he was also taught to respect the animals, that one day, he may even be able to speak with them and, if he is worthy enough, gain their strength. He was taught to be courageous, fast, silent, calm, tactical, all the skills needed to be a great scout. He travelled with them for many years. Following the footsteps of his parents, his uncles, aunts and other relatives.

But tragedy struck when they were visiting the city of Elturel, Hawk and his uncle were not in the city when the tragedy struck, but the rest of his family was and they were sucked into the Nine Hells, even from as far as they were, they saw the arcane lights and the thunderous roars of the city being taken. They wanted to go and investigate for themselves, but his uncle had thought it over and was able to convince Hawk that there was nothing that they could do there. They needed to get to somewhere where there were people who know more about this magic and what can be done to bring the city back. They knew that Baldur's Gate was close to where they were and that it would be a good place to check, when they headed in that direction they noticed all the others that seemed to be heading their as well. They followed them to confirm that they were survivors before joining them, they asked questions to those people, but were only told that strange markings and a light had come from the ground, seemingly out of nowhere. Then the city began to sink into the ground, as if being pulled down by some strange and strong force. Some said it was the gods doing, others, a powerful mage and a spell gone wrong, even demons were brought up.

The two listened intently to what each person had to say, it did seem like the general consensus was that someone in Baldur's Gate should know what was going on, and that it would be best for them to continue with these people to get in. They are refugees now, their people gone and Hawk's home with them. They do hope that when they get into the city, they can quickly find someone that can explain what happened and offer aid into how they are going to get back their people and save the city of Elturel.

Key Event: Hawk was 15 years old when he was allowed to first participate in the hunt, this day was just for food, he was not yet ready to take part in the bounty hunts yet. He followed his father and uncle into the woods of a place he did not yet know the name of, he stalked silently, like they had taught him back home. Hawk did was he was told, stayed back, behind his elders and matched how they moved.

When they finally ran into a number of elk that were eating grass in a clearing. Their horns were large, with many points, a good find, it seemed like enough to feed the tribe for a good long time. They had readied their weapons when they heard another sound, a sound of something also in search of prey. Hawk looked over to find that a tiger had also found it's prey, them. He turned quickly and released an arrow, it skinned the beast in the arm and it lunged at him. He cried out, using the bow to hold the beasts mouth away from his flesh. He called for his father and was met by a roar like a wild bear, his muscles grew tenfold and his hair grew like fur. He collided with the lion and they fought for a moment before his father lifted it up above his head. Hawk, sticking to his training, as well as the shouts from his uncle took his arrow again and hit it with a number of arrows, his uncle did the same and soon it was dead.

His father calmed down and he went back to his normal form, he gave a nod and a pat on Hawk's shoulder and congratulated him. It was his first kill, and it was a predator, as tradition, he was able to take a part of it as a trophy, he snagged it's one canine tooth and wrapped it around his neck with some leather banding. They then found a few more elk and killed them as well, taking them back home, with food and a story to tell his people.

What would you provide as a member of the party? I provide experience as a player and as a dm to the game, I am communicative and like to motivate players to go out there and be creative. I am a team player, and like to work with groups because it is more fun that way.

What would you want to see provided by other members of the party? Good banter between the characters and the players, it's always better when you have a group that talks in and out of character together.

Last edited by The Dark Star; 10-15-2019 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7256
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith
Hi chri2m,

What will be the starting level of the game?

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2019, 11:08 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 521
Desteplo Desteplo Desteplo Desteplo Desteplo Desteplo
Hey, I’m going to have to bow out of the game. I don’t think I can mentally juggle another game. Sounded fun though, for sorry any inconvenience!

I have taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Desteplo; 10-12-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:27 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 507
Houtoku Houtoku Houtoku Houtoku Houtoku Houtoku
WIP - Will note when completed

What would you provide as a member of the party?
What would you want to see provided by other members of the party?
Character sheets are not necessary at this point. Please do not roll in this thread. We will be using a customized rolling method for ability scores that we'll take care of together.
Current Games: Broken Isles

Last edited by Houtoku; 10-09-2019 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:20 PM
Let the Wookie Win
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berith View Post
Hi chri2m,

What will be the starting level of the game?

Thanks!
The adventure is for level 1 through level 13. They get through the squishy levels early before the actual visit to the Nine Hells.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:43 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 507
Houtoku Houtoku Houtoku Houtoku Houtoku Houtoku
Entirely unrelated and only slightly pandering - I love your avatar choice.
Current Games: Broken Isles
Old 10-09-2019, 08:08 AM
Watcher of the Myst

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 916
mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch
Hi, chri2m. Might remember me or not, for better or worse >.> I feel like trying PbP D&D again. Slightly interested, got a couple of questions.

Would multiclassing be allowed? If so, how would it be facilitated?

Secrets beyond this! XD I do still have ideas beyond this even if this doesn't quite work.

I shall swear no oaths, but I will be here, and if I cannot, I shall tell you.

Last edited by mystwatch; 10-09-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:05 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 122
AidynMcKinney AidynMcKinney
Name Nikolai Moon-Wanderer
Race High Elf
Gender Expression Male
Age 109

Beginning Class Warlock Patron Pact of the Great Old One Subclass Pact of the Tome *Instead of the great old one being my Patron, can it be my deity Scrios because this category fits him the most especially because of his slight insanity and shrouded image.*
Alignment Chaotic Neutral CN
Deity Scrios

Background Noble
Personality Trait(s) My favor, once lost, is lost forever.
Ideal(s) Family. Blood runs thicker than water.
Bond(s) Nothing is more important than the other members of my family.
Flaws(s) I have trouble keeping my true feelings hidden. My sharp tongue lands me in trouble.

Backstory/Key Event His family became Noble after his great grandfather saved a prominent Noble about 300 years ago. He is the third son of Alun Moon-Wanderer, so he decided to set out on his own in search of good friends and wealth. He values loyal friends and would fight to the death for them. When he was 92 he was traveling alone on the road when he was ambushed by a group of orcs and taken prisoner. He suffered under there cruel imprisonment for six years till he was finally rescued by a group of warriors who were followers of Scrios The Stitch of Chaos. After his rescue, he converted from his traditional Elfish gods and worshipped Scrios whom he credited with saving his life. He became a follower known as a Scar he hopes to one day achieve the title of Fang and to be given the honor to meet Scrios, his savior in person. His body is covered in scars from his time enslaved with the orcs and on his left breast is a tattooed symbol of Scrios. He returned home after his rescue and recuperated which took about eight years leading up to know. He can not tolerate followers of Gruumsh or followers of Nerull.

What would you provide as a member of the party? Nikolai would provide a talented spellcaster with the knowledge of multiple languages. He is also proficient enough with melee weapons to not need to be constantly protected. He would provide a strong moral compass when it comes to protecting and empowering those who are oppressed.
What would you want to see provided by other members of the party? I would like a diverse group as long as they are not followers of Gruumsh or followers of Nerull whom he will attack sight. He has a general dislike of orcs but can tolerate the ones who don't worship Gruumsh. He will not tolerate anyone who oppresses others.
Picture

Last edited by AidynMcKinney; 10-13-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:41 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 122
AidynMcKinney AidynMcKinney
How many people will you be accepting?
Old 10-11-2019, 03:30 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Pinotage
ApplicationPicture

Name Cora Grorx
Race Halfling (Ghostwise)
Gender Expression Female
Age 22

Class Druid (Circle of the Moon)
Alignment Neutral Good
Deity None

Background Slave (Slave Background)
Personality Trait(s)
I am grateful for every day that I am free and am determined to live life to the fullest.
Regardless of one's birth or station in life, good manners are essential.

Ideal(s)
Equality - All intelligent beings are equal in the eyes of the gods. No person has the right to own another person (Good).

Bond(s)
I was stolen from my home many years ago and sold into slavery. I wish to return to my land and my people.

Flaws(s)
I bear the scars of my bondage and they mark me as a slave.

Backstory/Key Event

• What would you provide as a member of the party? Cora brings with her a versatility in raw power, magic and healing, as well as enthusiasm and optimism for life. She's tenacious in battle, with feral spirit and almost fearless. She is motivated and willing to try all things, although she doesn't always make the best decisions. She has a keen sense of danger and is a good judge of character.
  • What would you want to see provided by other members of the party? Cora is slow to trust so she would hope to build relationships through role-playing that could be akin to family for her. She abhors brutality and unnecessary conflict, quietly enforces the natural order and strives to always get along with all people. Her relationship to goblins, though, remains complicated.

Last edited by Pinotage; 10-16-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:56 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 139
The Dark Star The Dark Star
Done my first draft and would like to hear some feedback, please and thank you!
Old 10-11-2019, 11:47 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1113
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
Justicar Banefinn
Justicar Galen Banefinn
right-aligned image
The Lawkeeper

Race: Human
Class: Cleric (Order Domain)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Diety: Amaunator
Background: Investigator

Personality Traits: Often Quote/Misquote Holy Text; I’m full of inspiring and cautionary tales from my military experience relevant to almost every combat situation.
Ideals: Responsibility. I do what I must and obey just authority. (Lawful)
Bonds: My honor is my life.
Flaws: I obey the law, even if the law causes misery.

Backstory/Key Event:
”Waterdeep: The City of Splendor they call it, but underneath the shiny surface lies a rotten and ugly interior. For twenty years I served the city and the Lords of Waterdeep. As a guardsman, and as an investigator. But the more I investigated, the deeper I delved, the higher up the crime and corruption went. It is a city of superficial laws, and justice that could be bought for the right price. Where criminals are more honest than the lords and politicians.
It was a city where no one could get a fair shake, unless they were willing to pay for it. It wasn’t a city for the lawful or the just, it wasn’t a place for a man like me. Forsaken and exiled from the City and the Watch I had sworn to protect, I traveled the lands in search of my universal truths of Justice and Order, it was to the warm embrace of Amaunator that I found my home. Under his divine light I found the power to hunt those who break the law, and bring order to the chaos of society. As one of Amaunator’s Justicars I serve as bounty hunter, judge, jury, and occasionally executioner to those that flaunt the Laws of Gods and Men.
I am the Justicar. I am the bringer of Order. I am the Law.”

What would you provide as a member of the party?: I am a moral compass, the only true morality is that founded in Law and Order. I bring experience, before my current calling I was a guardsman and have the combat experience and the investigative expertise needed to solve problems with both mind and fist. As a Cleric of the Order domain I have access to spells and abilities that enhance my allies greatly, while hindering those who would interfere with our mission.
What would you want to see provided by other members of the party?: All I require from those who travel with me is an equal reverence for the Laws of Gods and Men. For without the Law all are brought low.

ConceptA retired, no nonsense cop, who uses his divine mandate to settle disputes and hunt down criminals. Kind of like an old Judge Dredd whose life is centered around the law. Unfortunately he’s getting old and can easily be confused as to what the Law is. Switching between local ordinances, ancient Netherese Laws created by his gods old incarnation, and current divine mandates as set up by Amaunator in his current form. Regardless, Galen makes a strong front line tank and fighter when needed, but his order domain is what sets him apart: Strong buffs and powerful crowd controls make him an invaluable member when it comes to hunting down the lawless.
Sure, any rogues in his party will have a tough time, and may even find their teammate hunting them down inadvertently if a noble hires him to find a thief, but I’m sure it can all be explained away. In any case it makes for good party conflict and storytelling, as will his eventual crisis of fate when confronting evil beings of Law like Devils.

Last edited by Mrjoegangles; 10-13-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:52 PM
Let the Wookie Win
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houtoku View Post
Entirely unrelated and only slightly pandering - I love your avatar choice.
I only accept complete pandering. Thanks, appreciate it.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:53 PM
Let the Wookie Win
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidynMcKinney View Post
How many people will you be accepting?
Probably looking at a minimum of six. I'm a little concerned that I won't have the amount of applications I was looking for. At this point, consider the deadline a soft mark. I may have to push it back to the 20th or something.