twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-10-2019, 06:14 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 542
Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager
for people trying to remain Native, it means anywhere within the Dukedom (see map in first post).
Old 10-10-2019, 08:17 PM
Watcher of the Myst

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 916
mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch
Libra, the Warforged Fighter

LibraName:
Libra

Race:
Skirmisher Warforged

Class:
Fighter

Background:
Mercenary Veteran

Traits:
I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let my emotions control me.

I have a strong sense of honor; I remember those who have helped me or wronged me and pay them back accordingly.

Bond:
The artificer who rebuilt me, even after I have been sent to kill him, I owe my life to.

Ideal:
Mastery. I wish to hone my skill in the sword to perfection.

Flaw:
I have no interest in anything that does not relate to martial combat in any way, and as such I tend to be blindsided when such things become important to my situation.

Appearance:
Libra looks much like the few Warforged that visit Handelsnabe; a man made of iron and stone, lightly built, a stolid mask for a face, armor for skin. There are signs, however, in various joints and places in his body, where the material has changed or the color does not fit his previous design; this is due to him being almost destroyed before, and having been repaired with other materials.

Personality:
Libra is a dispassionate and rational individual, if one ignores his single-minded desire to better himself in his craft, which is martial combat. He comes across as dry and apathetic, which is not helped by his inflexible facial structure. He unexpectedly has a strong sense of honor and fair play, and will mete out gratitude and revenge as he sees fit. He is slowly learning that there is more to life than combat, which he has always considered to be his purpose.

Backstory:
There isn't much to Libra's story. He's a foreigner to these lands, created by illustrious machinists in a land far away, and given to understand that he had a singular purpose in life; to fight. He took to this task with much zeal, even as he was sold to different masters and different mercenary companies who used him as a soldier and an assassin.

His life changed, however, when his latest company agreed to take a bounty on an artificer who lived here, in Aldan. They thought they were prepared, but they were decimated by the old man's devices and creations. Those who survived ran away, leaving him in pieces, and right then and there Libra thought it was his end. However, unexpectedly, the man took pity on him, and perhaps was curious how he worked, and took to mending him, bringing him back here to his home of Handelsnabe. He, now whole once again, seeks to repay his debt to the man by participating in the defense of his hometown; it was something he was uniquely suited to doing, after all.

Roleplay:
The human didn't have to do this, he thought, even as the man reattached his limbs. Painstaking work was done upon his joints and his gears, even as the artificer fumbled when certain things about his design stumped him. "Just a little more... there." With that pronouncement from the machinist, he could feel the sensation return to his arms. He could... he could fight again. His legs were reattached a moment ago, too. He slowly stood up. He could... actually kill the man right now. He could cash in on the bounty. And yet... "Why did you... do this? I wanted to kill you."

"I felt like it." said his whimsical benefactor, turning his back to him. His drones and turrets were in a different room; there were a couple of weapons lying about that he could use; he could strike now... but... it puzzled him. And he... didn't want that bounty as much, anymore. It wasn't really the bounty that he came for. He couldn't quite put it into words... "I am grateful. I shall find a way to repay you." he said, as he bowed. "Sure, sure." The man dismissively replied, although there seemed to be a strange twinkle in his eye.

Might not get in due to not being native, but I really wanted to try a Warforged character >.>

Would Feats be allowed? ...would you also be amenable to a slashing version of the rapier (a saber?)

I shall swear no oaths, but I will be here, and if I cannot, I shall tell you.

Last edited by mystwatch; 10-13-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:33 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 81
Alysm
Here's a little work in progress I'll be chipping away at
Application
right-aligned image
Wirry, observed mid 'snack'
Name: Wirry An 'Aldanized' Goblin surname, from the Klauisch Dallidolche, meaning 'they who are quick with their knives.'Briskshivovitz
Race: Goblin
Class:Flavored as a Rat-Catcher in gameMonk
Background:I'll be doing a custom background as described in the phb Handelsnabe Ratter

Traits: I am an incorrigible gourmand by even goblin standards and will often gnaw on whatever is at hand, food or not. / Though my wife and I have surely grown to hate each other we do so dearly love being miserable together.
Bond: Merrymaking. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.
Ideal: Family. In spite of all evidence to the contrary I see myself first and foremost as a father. Arguably even a good one. Objectively better than my own.
Flaw: There exists a strange enmity between animals and myself that puts us at each other's throats without fail.

Appearance: If the beautiful are a banquette to behold than Wirry would be the fat you cut from a steak: knob-kneed, crook-nosed, lank-armed little whatsit that he is. Ugly yes, but in a certain light endearingly so. A Three feet flat and fourty pounds. He's a tiny lil' curmudgeonyard of pudge, rash and skittish muscle crumpled up into his ill-fitted town clothes like a pug in costume, toadish grin plastered beneath eyes that could only be described as peepers. Appealing--just as fat from a steak--to a very particular palate, or to a broader one when taken in appropriately small doses. You'd never suspect he could eat you alive.

Personality: Wirry likes to laugh. More so at than with but he likes to laugh all the same. The self-described unhappily wed father of 13 as quick to make a joke out of a tense situation as he is of himself. Leavening the harsh realities of his loveless marriage, violent upbringing and status as a second-class citizen with a ready stream of folksy truisms and crude humor. He works very hard at being lazy and perhaps it is this very affront to Axela that sees his dreams of infidelity and leisure evade his grasp time and time again.

Backstory: Most goblins throw their lives away, that's why its called a litter.
Wirry was born the runt of seven siblings but time and the predations of tenement life whittled that down to a tidier sum of three; the rats of Handelsnabe do grow larger than the ratters after all.

Last edited by Alysm; 10-12-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:04 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1104
cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy
Uh, this looks fun. Since UA is allowed I took some liberties to create a character that has been spooking around my head for ages

Application
right-aligned image
Name: Fay'eth (Mealla Conaire)
Race: Reskinned Shadar-kai
Class: Warlock (Reskinned Raven Queen Patron)
Background: Hermit

Traits:
Sarcasm and insults are my weapons of choice.
When I set my mind to something, I follow through no matter what gets in my way.
If you do me an injury, I will crush you, ruin your name, and salt your fields.
Bond:
Something important was taken from me, and I aim to get it back.
Ideal:
Freedom. Chains are meant to be broken, as are those who would forge them. (Chaotic)
Flaw:
I'm quick to assume that someone is trying to cheat me.

Appearance: Spending years in the Bone King's domain has drastically altered Fay'eth appearance, turning her into a fey-like creature. Her once suntanned skin has turned ghostly pale, covered by all kinds of sylvan markings. Two pointed ears peak out between her long messy black hair, which she likes to adron with different braids and feathers. The short girl is almost too skinny to be heathy, and most people would just put her off as some wildman if it was not for her intelligent grey eyes that sometimes seem to pierce right into the soul of the people she talks to. Even more unsettling than her eyes was only the raven that seemed to keep following her around, sometimes even perching on her shoulder.

Personality: The betrail Fay'eth has experienced has left her bitter and cynical. She is slow to trust others and even though she tries not to she instinctivly believes that people will turn on her sooner or later. As a result she can be very resentful, especially if you get into the way of her goal. But despite everything that had happened some trace of Mealla still remain: The free-spirited woman is always up for some banter and true to her new nature she can be kind of mischivious or even playful from time to time. She's very empathatic towards the helpless and those robbed of their freedom.

Backstory: Mealla Conaire grew up in a small farming community in the north of the Stahlkuste. As the daughter of the local innkeeper she lived a good life but the wild child had always dreamed of adventure and travelling the world. Her childhood friend Telor Gronnow proved to be a kindred spirit and through the years of daydreaming the two grew closer until they eventually fell in love and absconded in the middle of the night, despite her family's warning. Sadly as they travel up north through the fey touched forest they got attacked, killing Telor in the process. Heartbroken by her beloved's death Mealla cried out for help and to her surprise she actually got an answer. A hooded stranger appeared and offered her to bring her lover back. In exchange her heart would belong to him should her lover ever break it. Mealla accepted and indeed got her Telor back. Together they continue their travels until one night months later Mealla caught Telor with another woman. That night the ravens came and took her back to the forest.

For the next twenty years Mealla was locked into the Bone King's domain but even though her time there had changed her both physically and mentally she never stopped dreaming of freedom. And her chance came when the archfey offered her another deal: if she managed to find and kill Telor in the next two years she would be free again. Without hesitation the young woman accepted. Knowing that Telor's final destination had been Handelsnab she made her way there. The city was huge but thanks to the new abilities her patron had gifted her she found out that Telor had managed to rise in the ranks of a criminal organisation that spread through all of the dukedom. Finding him by herself in time would be nearly impossible so she started to look for possible alleys which she found in the Wache. Since Telor is a wanted men now she hopes that working for the Wache will in the end lead her to her target, allowing her to free her soul once and for all.

Last edited by cookieyummy; 10-15-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:20 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystwatch View Post

Might not get in due to not being native, but I really wanted to try a Warforged character >.>

Would Feats be allowed? ...would you also be amenable to a slashing version of the rapier (a saber?)
Feats are in and a slashing rapier would be fine.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
We've got about a week left til applications close. There's some nice options here, anyone who hasn't finished yet and any new apps are still very welcome.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:27 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3247
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
I believe that Brilliance is done. Let me know if you need anything else from me for her.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:51 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 491
Thunderstruck Thunderstruck Thunderstruck Thunderstruck Thunderstruck

Virra
right-aligned image
Name: Virra
Race: Lightfoot Halfling
Class: Rogue (possibly heading to arcane trickster)
Background: Urchin
  • Trait: I love a good con, nothing gives me more satisfaction than seeing peoples faces when they realize they’ve been tricked.
  • Trait: I’m sweet and I know it. Count on me to charm my opponents first and fight them 16th.
  • Ideal: Balance – The world is more fun when everyone has an equal chance to be fooled. The powerful brought down and the rich robbed. That’s the way it should be
  • Flaw: I am like a magpie, show me something shining and I want to take it. Show me someone arrogant and I want them to trip. Show me a ‘friend’, and I will see a player with undiscovered motives.
Appearance: Virra is strangely rotund for one who grew up on the streets: a consequence of all the treats she managed to wheedle from the market stalls. Of course this was helped by her youthful, sweet appearance, with strawberry blonde pigtails and rosy cheeks, the smudges of dirt staining both her face and clothes considered adorable rather than grubby. Although she is older than she looks, it is only rarely that she exhibits a mature and serious visage. Recruitment for the watch was one such occasion (young girls not being their standard criteria) but even before the recruiting officer, she could not resist displaying her trademark beaming grin.

Personality: Virra comes across as almost permanently cheerful, seeming without a care in the world. This jolly exterior has served her well so far, as merchants are much more generous when faced with her beaming grin. What she loves more than anything is luring someone in and leaving them feeling great, at least until they discover what she lifted. These days she doesn’t even steal for need, her prizes just that, trophies to remind herself of particularly satisfying cons. Its just like a game for her, one in which she excels. Playing the game for all her life has left her slow to trust however, forever seeking out the motives for people’s actions.

Backstory: Virra came, Virra saw, Virra conquered. First their hearts then their strongboxes. After wandering away from her parents in a busy market place while young and subsequently becoming one of the lost of the Handelsnabe, Virra grew up stealing a living and using her natural charm to con merchants out of the things she needed. As she aged she came to realize that she took great joy in convincing people of untruths and so she also began to charm merchants out of things she didn’t need, just for the thrill. Stealing took a back seat, becoming less of a necessity and more of a pastime to further vex those whom wouldn’t suffer without that which she ‘liberated’. By donating nice items among some of the other lost of Handelsnabe, Virra saw her activities as a way of restoring balance to the world, as well as paying her dues to her adopted city.

Perhaps it was this generosity that first drew the attention of the mysterious ‘Lugh'. A mark that saw right through her, the shadowy hooded figure dragged her into an isolated alley and made her a proposition. Carry out his wishes and he would teach her some of his more specialized tricks. It was an offer that his oddly honeyed tones made difficult to resist. And so begins a new chapter of Virra’s life.

RP Sample:
One day before:
Virra shook her head to clear some of the grogginess. One minute she had been bouncing along happily, talking the ears off the cloaked individual with the huge ruby encrusted ring. The next his vicelike grip had closed on her questing fingers and hauled her into a nearby alley. The sounds of the Handelsnabe market were still faintly audible on the other side of the high wall she now slumped against. Before her stood her mark, the ring still there on his hands. "You’ll have to do much better than that to part me from my possessions. It’s a good job you talk better than you steal. Ah, ah do not try and run. I don’t want to have to hit you again". Virra’s eyes stopped darting round looking for an escape route and instead focused on her captor. Beyond his outline, tall and rakish, there wasn't much her gaze could discern through his cloak and cowl. The severity of her situation prevented her usually agile mind from gleaning much more about him. It wasn’t often she was caught and as a Halfling here in the city, any attention would be a setback. "I’m sorry mister" she stammered. "I didn’t mean no harm, just wanted to share me stories that’s all. You seemed like the friendly sort that might appreciate a bit of cheer and…" The figure snorted and seemed to relax a bit. "Oh Virra you needn’t fear me. I just want to help you. You have so much talent, all I want to do is give you some direction." His rasping tones were oddly soothing, and Virra’s fear’s melted away. He just wants to help; I can trust him. After all he saw through my charade and didn’t call the Wache on me. That’s never happened before. He continued. "Yes all old Lugh wants is for you to help him out. That’s what friends are for right. You have a knack for persuading people to believe what you tell them that old Lugh lacks. Meanwhile I know a few tricks that might help you. What do you say we trade?" Virra found herself nodding along. It was a fair offer. She was good at charming people and Lugh obviously had skills she needed. "Here is what I want. The city Wache is recruiting and I would like you to join them. Simple right? Just go along and sign up, gain their trust and settle in. Later on I might have a few more things for you to do as well. How about it?"

Today:
And it had seemed so simple. Virra had agreed, Lugh had let her walk out of the alley and mingle back into the crowds. Now though, as she sat on the bench outside the recruitment office waiting to be called in, Virra was perplexed. I never trust someone that quickly, so why did I agree so readily to help him? I didn’t even hear what my reward would be. "NEXT" came the bellow from inside the office. Virra gave a small shrug and stood up. Even if I never see him again in my life, conning the Wache seems like an intriguing challenge. Just have to keep an eye out for a suitable prize…

Last edited by Thunderstruck; Today at 07:47 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
To answer a question I received:

Halflings are fairly likely to end up in Handelsnabe as they are a big part of the population of the empire of the dawn, a major trading nation that makes port here on a regular basis. Why they would stay in what (to them) is a provincial country far from home though is something you'd need to come up with.