RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 08-09-2019, 12:57 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 282
MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
Despite her hair and eyes, it is the large, dark feathered wings that sprout from Val's back that make her immediately noticeable. With a wingspan just over 14 feet, each wing is over her head and practically touches the ground even when folded.
Neat! She can pace and sweep the floor at the same time. =)

"Life doesn't give you purpose. You give live purpose." - The Flash
Old 08-09-2019, 01:02 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7378
Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKinister View Post
Neat! She can pace and sweep the floor at the same time. =)
That's exactly what i was thinking when I came up with wings! Do you think renaming her 'The Sweeper' would be going to far.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:29 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1029
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Alrighty...a little first draft time...

Name: Keiko Ichimura
Super Name: Kitsune

Value: 250

Personality
Impulsive, carefree, sometimes even a little manic. Keiko is always torn between her craving for the admiration and adoration of others, and her love of making others look foolish. Her compromise is generally to win over the admiration of 'normal people,' and to make anyone who is a little too full of themselves, or who likes to feel big by making other people feel small, look foolish. Between her age and her temperament she has trouble holding down regular work, but she often does work as a runner or courier just to get food in her belly. She's also not above a little 'harmless' shoplifting to make ends meet when necessary.

Backstory
Keiko only has dim memories of her parents. She was very young when the pillar of green flame split the sky, changed the world, and took them away from her. Without other living family in the USA, she entered into foster care but immediately had trouble adjusting. For years she would sneak out of the house and creep into the militarized zones, hoping to find her parents. It was doing this, and trying to stay unnoticed by her foster family and inhuman invaders alike that she first discovered her powers. Bending light to become invisible was the first trick Keiko mastered.

She very skillfully kept her powers hidden from her foster family. Later as her control grew, she could even make images of herself one place...while sneakily working mischief in another. Over time, though they never actually caught her, they figured out Keiko was behind the many disturbances and finally she was moved to another family. The second family was larger, with several other foster children, and much more strict. Keiko immediately came into conflict with them, and a similar pattern played out. Though she was successful in framing other kids for her antics for awhile, eventually they worked out who was behind it...if not how...and more punishments were imposed.

And finally Keiko just left.

Her story would almost certainly have had a tragic ending if not for her ever-growing mastery of her powers. Not just invisible now, she could make herself appear to be someone entirely different. A gorgeous young girl alone in New York was on borrowed time...but an old, scabby man with a terrible cough? People barely noticed him. They didn't want to. Keiko was a quick study when it came to people...she could often watch them when they didn't know they were watched. She learned what kind of face to wear to get the reaction she was after.

She grew, and her powers matured further. Keiko found she could use her control of photons to create electrostatic effects...manipulating electrons in matter to behave as if they were 'solid' to one another. In this way she could affect physical objects. At the same time, she had grown fond of a small group of other homeless people living around a local shelter. They cycled in and out as they could, but were familiar faces. Friends even.

One of these friends was killed though in a drug deal that went bad...and this galled Keiko to action. Though she'd never used her abilities for more than self-gratification before, now she used them to track down and find the men who'd been at the deal. From there she found out who was behind it; a local drug lord who was pushing into new territory in the neighborhood. While Keiko wasn't much of a fighter, she went after his operations...turning his people against one another and playing on their paranoias. For this she used one of the very few objects she had from her old family...things she'd carried in a shoebox since she was old enough to carry anything at all. The item in question was a somewhat battered kitsune noh mask, given some shine and polish courtesy of illusions.

A bit of overconfidence and a couple of mistakes led to the drug lord working out that he was being stymied by someone wearing a fox mask with powers...but for the moment at least, that's all he knows. Aware of the danger, Keiko's kept her head down lately, waiting for an opening she can use to bring the operation down once and for all.

Last edited by SalmonMax; 08-09-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:05 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10347
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Added a link to Slider's character sheet in the app over on page 1. I'm certain it will have to be modified and tweaked, but this is the gist of her power framework. Still need to add more Complications, too.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 08-09-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:23 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 467
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
I don't have much experience with the Hero System. It's been quite a while since I last used it. So instead of posting my full character right away, I'll post a first draft of her stats. Does this look mechanically sound? Let me know if there are any mistakes or problems with it; Or even just areas with wasted points and poor optimisation.

Last edited by Kaiya; 08-10-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:16 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonMax View Post
I have a question for clarification on Multipower.

It states that no power in the Multipower can have an Active Cost greater than the point reserve of the Multipower. So, for example, this would be a valid Multipower:

Multipower (40), 40p
- Blast (8d6), 4p

However, if the cost of the Blast is modified, things get weirder. Active Points in a power are not reduced by Limitations. So you might have a 45 point Blast that has a -1/2 limit of some kind on it. This power, despite being limited, still takes a 45 point Multipower pool, and costs 4points for a fixed slot in that pool. The limit may as well not even exist.

Is that accurate? Or am I getting confused by the 'active point' vs 'real point' rules?
I believe you are using the wrong values. The Multipower Pool is 40 points, and hence all powers must fit their Active Point values into that pool. Limitations only reduce the Real Cost of the power, not the Active Cost. Hence, that power is 5 Active Points above the pool's limit, and cannot be included in it (unless you raise the pool limit). The Real Cost, after Limitations and the Multipower's discount, is not part of the limit calculation. Only the Active Cost counts in this situation.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:52 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiya View Post
I don't have much experience with the Hero System. It's been quite a while since I last used it. So instead of posting my full character right away, I'll post a first draft of her stats. Does this look mechanically sound? Let me know if there are any mistakes or problems with it; Or even just areas with wasted points and poor optimisation.

A few short comments on this:

You are not listing the other characteristics in your block. If you are not adding or removing points, I am assuming they are at base value.

So far it looks like you have made a tank. Super strong, high resistant defenses, amazing Presence (of all the stats, this one is the most "dangerous").

For a tank, OCV 6 DCV 7 is alright. You are not over reaching in your balance. However, a speed of 3 might be considered cripplingly low, but it depends on the what others have. For a supers game, I usually see a speed of 4 as low, 5 as average, 6 as high, and anything above that in the "Speedster" range. But it all depends on the campaign definition. Personally, the character I submitted has a speed of 5. I had to bring it down because I needed the points. On that note, default Speed is 2, and 1 Speed costs 10 points. The price you are paying is incorrect: it should be 10 points, not 20. 20 will buy a Speed of 4.

Dexterity is not listed, so I am assuming it will be 10. This may mean this character will be last one to act in a segment. Combat goes by whoever has the highest DEX, downwards. This also means he's got normal strong human reflexes, nothing super about them at all.

Endurance of 50 is nice, but I don't see Recovery. If you left it at default of 4, you are going to be a glass cannon. A few hits will knock you out, and it will take hours for your character to get out of unconsciousness, much less have a long term fight. A good investment in Recovery is optimal for anyone who expects to fight a lot and take a beating (like a tank).

The same goes for STUN. I don't see any points in it, so I am assuming default of 20. This may mean this character will fall in a fight after their second or third hit. With a DCV of 7, this character will get hit easily and often. (But again, it all depends on what combat values your opponents have. Campaign definition and such.)

DMCV of 7 is novel for a tank. He'll be hard to hit in mental combat. At least around 50/50. Good thing to have for any character, really.

The skills list is interesting. You have a "provocateur agent" here. Nice set. However, be aware that with this characters default stats of 10 in the mental and personal stats, most of his skill default to an 11 or less, which means he's sort of ... adequate. But this is a teen, so I need to temper my expectations. His highest skill is the Knowledge, which at 3 points buys a 12 or less. He knows his stuff.

The Flight is just a bit faster than running, but by a razor thin margin. Still, he can move vertically, which few other people can. Life Support and Longevity are "nice to haves", for those special situations where it might come in handy. They honor his inhuman biology. Regeneration is a "Caution Sign" power. The GM will need to approve it. But it's good to have. Although when exactly he'll need it seeing as he has such a high Resistant Defense is hard to tell. But he will be able to regenerate fast out of a BODY drain.

1D6 Killing attack is a relatively small attack. Like a 22 caliber. His Strength will hit for more damage consistently. However, he can raise it with Extra Strength use to 2D6 KA, for a more impacting punch. At this point, his normal punch will be just about even with the KA, on the average.

Conclusions and ideas on this: this is a Brute by all considerations. He can give a lot of punishment, and he can take a lot as well. His low Speed, low Stun, and low Recovery, however, will betray him in battle. He won't act as fast as his enemies, as often as his enemies, and when he takes damage, he will quickly succumb to it with an inability to return to battle fast enough. Now, this is assuming an average damage output of somewhere between 8 to 10 Damage Classes. If he faces something higher, he'll go down quicker. He can fight for a decent amount of time (based on his Speed of 3), but once his Endurance runs out, he'll have a hard time continuing the fight. If he insists, he can knock himself out by burning Stun for Endurance, but that might be too much of a self-sacrificing move in the end.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:58 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Whoops! I am wrong about his skills. With a PRE of 30, his interpersonal skills are AWESOME. He will be extremely dangerous when on a soap box. =)

Old 08-09-2019, 11:05 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1029
SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax SalmonMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKinister View Post
I believe you are using the wrong values. The Multipower Pool is 40 points, and hence all powers must fit their Active Point values into that pool. Limitations only reduce the Real Cost of the power, not the Active Cost. Hence, that power is 5 Active Points above the pool's limit, and cannot be included in it (unless you raise the pool limit). The Real Cost, after Limitations and the Multipower's discount, is not part of the limit calculation. Only the Active Cost counts in this situation.
I sneakily changed the parameters of the multipower pool in the second example, but that is the essence of what I was asking, yes.

Basically, there's never a reason to take a Limit on a power in a Multipower, it seems like...unless you're just really into the RP value of it. You get no cost break from doing so.

A little disappointing, but I suppose it helps prevent exploits.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:07 AM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
It depends on how you build your power. Yes, the marginal cost reduction of a power in a Multipower framework is very small. As a matter of fact, it is small enough that you could get another one or two extra powers by scraping off and adding the little marginal points you save.

But the RP factor, and the power concept, are usually good reasons.

There is also the fact that if your concept is central enough to all powers, you can apply the limitation to the Multipower pool cost, which automatically applies it to all your pool powers. This saves enough points to, again, get a few extra bonus abilities here and there.

Playing the long math game. =)

Old 08-10-2019, 01:10 AM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Also, there is the definitive distinction between a Fixed multipower slot and a Variable one. Which type of slot you choose will also define how much you pay for your powers and how you use them in the game.

Old 08-10-2019, 01:36 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 467
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Sheet edited. I've boosted her REC, STUN, and Flight speed.

And yes, she's very much intended to be a social powerhouse. All supers in this world are extremely attractive. But what if one of them had enough charisma to topple the government? That's the kind of question I'd love to explore.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:13 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1319
HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan
WOW! I am so happy with all the responses! I’m still posting by phone with my computer and laptop still “in the shop “, so will wait for my Hero Designer app to be available before making substantive, detailed responses, however I do need to tell everyone that I am using the alternative initiative system of rolling SPEEDd6 + DEX = initiative rank; just an FYI.

Also MrKinister THANK YOU for your help in looking at characters and explaining Champions/Hero System concepts so well and so thoroughly! Please accept 5 “Making life easier for the GM” experience points to add to your character sheet to spend at chargen or save for later at your discretion!

Also a brief, general statement about my GMing style: I love doing character driven stories or plot elements! This means that I will tend to get into your character backgrounds and bring in elements from them. This can be gratifying and a lot of fun for a player character, however sometimes a player can feel like they are getting Complications in play that they did not take for points.

For example, the kitsune background mentions being motivated to protect a small homeless community so I would tend to actually develop some members of that community and they might be a plot hook despite none of them actually being listed on the character sheet as DNPCs, just an FYI.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:18 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7378
Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade Nightshade
I don't have much time this weekend to type up the background but I will have it up Monday or Tuesday and then take a shot at building the character.

I'd like to thank Mr. Kinister as well. I've been following his explanations and it has helped a lot.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:56 AM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
That's exactly what i was thinking when I came up with wings! Do you think renaming her 'The Sweeper' would be going to far.
Not if she sweeps “evil”.