RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 09-20-2019, 01:12 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2828
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
@Xalnaga: a couple of questions:
- how long did the war last?
- how long ago did it end?
- why is it labeled "a dwarven kingdom"?
- do most dwarfs live in surface cities?
- who were the Black Rose? (i.e. a rebel dwarven faction; humans tired of the dwarven oppression; invaders from somewhere else)
Old 09-20-2019, 04:54 PM
Watching siliently

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2700
Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga
Daendil, they are the questions of someone wanting to get into the setting.

Setting History:
No one knew what was coming. The King died of some alien unknown disease. The prince lost his life in the underworld looking for a cure. The king's brother took to the throne and with him came a new order of knights known as the Order of the Black Rose. At first most were happy to have a valiant order of knights about the kingdom of Udinthau but after a few weeks accusations started to come out that the late king was murdered and that many of the powerful nobles were imprisoned for regicide. New nobility took over, those who pledged loyalty to soon to be crowned brother of the king.

What many don’t know is that a rebellion started in a town named Caramvek in the North from which came a group of heroes who stood up to the knights of the Black Rose. They then discovered a company of Black Rose constructs hidden under the city of Dalhurst. Though the constructs held Dalhurst for a while because the heroes forced their hand the Order of the Black Rose was pushed out. Whereever the heroes went rebellion sprung in their wake. As they traveled the Kingdom the Black Rose were fforced to reveal that they already had constructs in every strategic location. Even in the East a strange alliance between Drow, the Black Rose and The Halfling principality drew the Udinthau army to a brutal stalemate in the Krakole Pass.

Things looked bleak until the gods, both old and new, began to interfere more directly. Lost sorcerer lines were re-opened, Clerics and Paladins sprouted up and magical patrons dispensed boon of power to those willing to serve a new master. Finally the people had a fighting chance and so they did. Our heroes kept on pressing until they learnt where the Order of the Black Rose came from. Black Thorn Fort was impervious and only accessible via magical means. Instead on laying an impossible siege with a spell gathered they destroyed the entire side of the mountain where Black Thorn Fort sat. The Heroes are assumed to have died in the blast taking the spell to the grave.

Since then there has been no clear leadership in the once Udinthau Kingdom. Now the enemy if the Black Rose gone people’s greed and power hunger took over. Not at all helped by those more powerful beings with a more chaotic or evil bend.
And now an unforeseen result of destroying a mountain was that now orcs spill through the gorge created by the explosion. The Black Rose’s evil magic called to other evil beings.
Whether or not you liked the Dwarf's iron reign no one disputes life was better under them, at least it was peaceful.

* The Dwarves lived through out the kingdom in cities with everyone else although the Capital was in an ancient Dwafven mine to the South of the kingdom. The Usinthau Kingdom was built on the back of an evil enemies invasion. The Dwarves beat them back but instead of handing territory back to the previous owners they built Udinthau which lasted for 300 years.

The war with the Black Rose lasted 4 years, dated from the freeing of Dalhurst which marked the start of a war rather than pockets of rebellion.
The Black Thorn Fort was defeated two year ago. Things have been getting worse, not better.

The Black Rose were and Order of Knights unknown before hand that seemed to come from no where, made up of every race. It seemed they wanted the kingdom though no one was able to figure out their motive, the captured constructs didn't know.

Hope this helps
Old 09-20-2019, 08:57 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5627
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
Application!
right-aligned image
Posting interest (it's me again!) for CG Aasimar Celestial Warlock.

Character info:
Name: Baruch Neriah Callstone
Race: Aasimar (VGtM)
Class: Warlock, Celestial Patron (XGtE), Pact of the Chain

Backstory / History:

Background: Acolyte (The Lady Thervyre)
Ideal: To segregate the worship of the divine is ridiculous! Their influence is clear in our everyday lives, and who is anybody to judge another for their choice of deity? We should all strive to be excellent in the eyes of the all-powerful, and doing so will almost surely result in things going well.
Bond Man and woman, young and old, sickly and well, rich and poor; we were all created equally before the prime makers. Nobody is here by accident, to think less of someone for their station is abhorrent, and everyone should do their best for the common good of their community and the unfortunate. Toward that end, Baruch has undertaken to fight against those with selfish and cruel goals.
Flaw: Despite doing his best, Baruch just isn't that reliable; he's more likely to do what he thinks is best in the moment, without thought for the long-term implications. He's not good at keeping appointments, promises, or really doing anything that involves thinking beyond what happens in the next few days.
Deity: Ozz-mowedOsmode, 'god' of Miracles.
Role Play Sample:

Name: Ozz-mowedOsmode
Tenants: The gods help those who help themselves.
Hope begets luck.
Symbol: Shooting star

RP Sample: The patron of miracles, lucky breaks, and coincidence, and a high-ranking deva of The Lady Thervyre, Osmode isn't technically a god - or so he often told a curious young Baruch. However, as a child, the Aasimar was insistent that the voice in his head could be none other than that of a god, and so the argument went for years. Now molded by long-formed habit, Baruch often forgets to direct prayers to The Lady Thervyre, preferring to address his childhood friend Osmode directly when he needs help.

Osmode is the combo of the Aasimar race's Deva and the Warlock's Celestial Patron. Similarly, Baruch;s holy symbol acolyte necklace also serves as his arcane focus.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 09-23-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10347
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Application - Completed
right-aligned image
Name: Scarlett Stormblood

Race: Human

Class: Warlock [Patron - The Raven Queen]

Background: Bounty Hunter

Physical Description: She stands 5'6" tall with Ebony hair, light blue eyes, and fair skin. She wears no armor and fitting clothes. She's quite shapely and fetching, and there always seems to be a Raven on her shoulder. She looks at you with a pleasant gaze that seems to say she could smile at any moment.

Reputation: Scarlett has become known as an Undead Hunter and even Bounty Hunter, or Mercenary for hire of sorts. She had no problem collecting a bounty of a beast or person whom The Raven Queen had deemed a target. Most of the time it was those who were into something unnatural that upset the balance between life and death, more on the death side of course. Most people didn't quite get what concerned The Raven Queen, and thus Scarlett, and what didn't seem to concern her. Sometimes she seemed to genuinely care about someone or some community, then another time she wouldn't seem to be bothered in the least when say a plague or disease befell a community. "Death comes to us all; no one escapes", is something she has said often, and sometimes in the worst of times and places.

Background: Scarlett was born into the Stormblood family in one of the many cities ravaged by the war and the times. The Stormbloods were part noble, part merchant, and 100% movers and shakers. She had siblings who were such things as a professional thief, a wizard, and warrior adventurer. Her parents were merchants, mid level nobles, and Agents of more than one regional Faction. As a young girl, she was searching, and dabbling in the arcane arts from her older sisters tomes and scrolls, when she came across a spell she thought would give her wisdom and knowledge. Instead, it made her known to the Raven Queen, and thus her journey began. Her older sister knows who her arcane patron is, but decided to just keep an eye on her little sister and not get involved - nor get their parents involved. That seems like a long time ago now.
In a nearby town, she heard of someone dabbling in the dead gods and trying to hide a murder or two. With the Raven Queen's guidance, she found them out and brought them to justice, revealing their deeds.

She was just 16.

She's did the odd other job or two after this, and just let folks think she was an odd duck and a bounty hunter. In truth, she's just out to set things right, with the altered view of the Raven Queen of course.

She moved in and out of the wars, battles, and skirmishes that waged, though always on the side of good, against the Black Rose and those so allied. Sometimes her goal was to get peace to ensue so she could track down a person or group that had been revealed to her by the Raven Queen. Other times it was to be in a battle so she could face off against such a person or group and ensure their destruction. In short, she was no stranger to war.

She first joined this band when she was looking for a target that had become known to her by her patron, the Raven queen. The evil man was traveling with a caravan, so she took a job as a protector after displaying her ability with offensive magics. She liked those in this group and agreed to fight alongside them, hearing that Count Fogthorn had an evil Cleric in his employ. Sure, she was allied with him and against a war lord, but she knew that this certain WarLord was not above raising the dead to fight. So, it was a matter of lesser evils in this case.
Now, she had been taking a rest, spending a sure to be short, though deserved, lazy time with her group of companions in the forest, content not to be fighting something for a bit. And then, as always seemed to be their lot in life, they were asked to take on some other task, or cause once more.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 10-01-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:02 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2932
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
@Xalnaga What level of technology exists? You mentioned that the Order of the Black Rose consists of warforged. Are there also airships and firearms?
Old 09-20-2019, 11:51 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Candlemoth
So I'm working on a dwarf bard. Don't worry not going to go nuts with seduction, haha. He's a bagpipe playing war musician who wants to see his people reclaim their kingdom. How do you feel about an old god of the mountain? You did say is was around or near a mountain yes?
Old 09-21-2019, 07:57 AM
Watching siliently

Tools
User Statistics
Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga
Welcome to the new applicants, both new faces and the old. Love me some reoccurring players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Rain View Post
@Xalnaga What level of technology exists? You mentioned that the Order of the Black Rose consists of warforged. Are there also airships and firearms?
Silent Rain, warforged, yes. It will be a relatively high magic game.
No to air ships, though that's be cool. Not against players working towards one.
Fire arms, that there is a tricky question, fo this game I'm going to say no. Sorry.

Candlemoth, the Udinthau Kingdom is surrounded by a mountain ring. A mountain god would fit well, though this game is happening (at least starting) in the central area, mountains are days away.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:18 AM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
Thanks for the info, much appreciated! I intend to bring a half-elf and I'm ready to do some world-building regarding the complicated (pre-Chaos) status of elven territories in the kingdom.
Do I have some freedom there or do you have something already established?

I just noticed your signature. First of all, my heartful best wishes!
But are you sure this is a good time to start a new game?

Last edited by Daendil; 09-22-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:52 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1348
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991
So, before I start making character decisions, how accepting are you of messing about with chemistry and physics? For example, something like using a flour cloud to create a fireball.

… I may have some habits.

On a different note, will feats be allowed?
Old 09-21-2019, 12:16 PM
Watching siliently

Tools
User Statistics
Auron, please mess with chemistry and physics. Feats will be allowed, anything from published resources.

Daendil.
The purely elven territories were lost when the Udinthau Kingdom was created. The Dwarves worked hard to break down walls between races. Having said that, elves have tended to concentrate their numbers in places where Elves were the Nobility and ruled. So there are a few elvish cities out there.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:28 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2932
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Regarding published resources, is that anything from WotC or are you allowing 3rd party as well?
Old 09-21-2019, 05:19 PM
Watching siliently

Tools
User Statistics
Blood hunter from Mercer, because I know that. Try and keep WotC. Anything outside that please flick me a PM with a link
Old 09-22-2019, 09:51 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1618
Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770
--Joint application with Silent Rain--

right-aligned image
Nishma "Envy" Vidalli
Character Sheet

Name: Nishma "Envy" Vidalli
Race: Simic Hybrid
Class: Rogue 1/Fighter 2

Background: Child Soldier (Custom Background using PHB Rules on Pg. 125)
Personality Trait: In combat, I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let my emotions control me.
Ideal: I do what I must and obey The Chosen's authority.
Bond: I will sacrifice anything, and anyone, to protect Anansi's Chosen.
Flaw: I obey The Chosen, even if that means causing misery to others.

Deity:

How Nishma was chosen by Anansi: Background

The Simic Combine, a floating castle far to the East, is where I came to be. I want to say that I was born there, but "born" implies that I had parents... I didn't. We are the results of humanoids attempting to play god. They are playing with something called "Gene Manipulation" from which I, and others like me, are the result.

As I grew, they studied me. Subjecting me to rigorous and relentless tests. They turned us all into weapons and would grade us based on our effectiveness. There were 5 Grades;

(lowest to highest)
Grade-C
Grade-B
Grade-A
Grade-S
Grade-X

I, and nine others, were classified as Grade-X. Deadly. Devoid of emotion... Is that what I was supposed to be? Devoid of emotion? Is something wrong with me?

The alarms blared as the guards searched frantically for me. I suppose they could count my ability to sneak past their defenses as a success of the training I'd received. But, in all honesty, I felt like something was guiding me. Something was calling me to flee this place. Something was telling me that I was meant to be more than just a weapon...

I reached the outer wall and scaled it with ease. As I crested the top of it;

"Might I offer you a hand, my dear?"

I would later come to find out that the mortals of the Simic Combine were mere pretenders... Falsehoods that reveled in their small modicum of power and knowledge... They were False Idols... But He... Anansi... He was a true God! My God! He saved me from the False and lowered me to the world below on a rope of spidersilk thread.

I spent years waiting to hear his voice again. I listened during the quiet nights for his guidance. I spent the days travelling and waiting. Anansi had a plan for me, but I wasn't quite sure what it was. I would fight brigands and thieves, until one day I fought one of my own. The False did not approve of my departure. They sent one of the Grade-C's after me. And now that this one lay before me, neck broken and face twisted in pain... I imagine they will send more. I picked up his Rapier, a weapon with which I was intimately familiar. Over time I pieced together armor and weaponry. I gathered tools and supplies. I was preparing for whatever may come...

That feeling... I smiled for the first time in years... Something was calling me... Guiding my steps... I followed with elation and took up purchase on a small stone column. The day faded into night as I waited and watched the moonlight reflect off the various tombstones.

"Protect the Chosen!" His voice was on the wind but clear as if he were standing right in front of me.

It was a little after midnight when he arrived... The Chosen. Covered in mud and looking confused... He was beautiful and wonderful and... perfect!

"Greetings, Chosen One! My name is Nishma Vidalli. Anansi has tasked me with ensuring your safety. I will not fail you." She bowed and greeted the man. "Where you go, I will follow. I will keep you safe. From this day, until my last day. I swear my allegiance to you, and to you alone."

Sardony was his name. They travelled together from town to town. Nishma was surprised to find out how different he was than her. He wasn't a fighter... He wasn't a weapon... And, the longer she spent in his presence, the less of a weapon she became.

She thanked Anansi for bringing them together. Through his guidance, she had been reborn from weapon, to shield. And, she thoroughly preferred the latter to the former.

The longer they traveled together, the more she learned of decency and civility. Sardony enjoyed the company of other, good, folks. It wasn't long before they met with other adventurers. They made... friends.. The concept remained foreign to her but she liked it. As fate would have it, they were on their way to meet their friends in a clearing outside of Crowngate. It will be nice to catch up and work with good people again.

Role Play Sample:

With Sawmill Down behind them, Nishma and Sardony were moving at a slower pace than usual. They had been tracking a group of bandits... Brigands that were preying on the weak and innocent traders coming to and from the town. She would never show it to Sardony, but she was elated that he was such a kind-hearted person. He cared for the well-being of others and wanted to do good in the world.

Night had fallen and Nishma began going about her duties. Despite it being years since leaving the Simic Combine, some habits were hard to break. She loved her routines and tending to the Chosen. She would set and bait the hunting trap and start a fire. Then, she'd set up the tent before going to gather firewood. When she returned, it would be dinner before taking turns keeping watch.

The tent was all set and Nishma looked at Sardony and marveled at him for a moment. She could see Anansi's favor washing over him and it filled her with delight.

"I'm going to gather firewood and check the traps. I'll be right back. Do you need anything?" She asked.

"No, Envy. Thank you!" He smiled.

She blushed and quickly moved into the forest. As she moved into the forest, her nightvision guiding her way, she scaled a nearby tree and moved from branch to branch to minimize the sound she made as she worked. She wasn't gone long, returning with a fat rabbit and an armful of firewood when she saw the bodies littering their campsite.

Her eyes went wide; "My Chosen!" A name that she only called him when she was truly worried. She pulled her Rapier from it's sheath at her side and lifted the buckler shield. She moved to him and placed herself between him and the corpses. "Are you hurt? Be careful! There may be more of them. What happened?"

Sardony shrugged. "I think I just got a bigger cut of the bounty."

Last edited by Reliq0770; 09-30-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:49 AM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
One thing to clarify...
I'd really like to somehow include some or all of the other applicants into Kestrel's story.
How long have we known eachother? (In the ad I think I saw 4 months, but in some of the bg-s I think I've read during the war.)
Old 09-22-2019, 12:42 PM
(ง ̀_́)ง

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5301
gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages
Soo... Many... Warlocks...

Our adventuring group will be a coven.

@Daendil awesome, I'd love to. Sagra is a pretty wanderlust/free spirit type so they could have run across each other pretty much anywhere. Any ideas?

Last edited by gravenimages; 09-22-2019 at 12:51 PM.