RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 09-22-2019, 04:08 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 340
FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo
From Camp to Village [Town Builder Game]

Deadline closed.

Game NameFrom Camp to Village [Town Builder Game]
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeSurvival/Town Builder
FlavourNomadic group of travelers found an unoccupied area of land to call their own
Plot Summary
Game NameFrom Camp to Village [Town Builder Game]
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeSurvival/Town Builder
FlavourNomadic group of travelers found an unoccupied area of land to call their own
Plot SummaryWar, Injustice, Famine and other atrocities are plaguing the lands (to the north and west), pushing many people to find their fortune in the savage borderlands and the unknown terrain beyond. It has been a long journey. You are part of one such nomadic group that have been looking for a place to call your own. Each of you have left the comfort of your home for one reason or another. All of you have a story to tell, that you may have shared with the others while you traveled for months. Now, the end if near, as you come across a piece of land that is available near a river, with plenty of fresh water, a forest for protection, and mountains within a days journey. It's almost perfect, minus having nothing but what is on your backs to provide. Now is the time for your camp to become a village, and hopefully one day a prosperous city.

Gameplay
This will be a heavy role play based game, where you are building up from 12 to much more. Currently you are all less than a Thorp (21 or fewer citizens). You will discuss as a team how to build laws, who does what to survive, creating buildings, building up your population, etc. Days will pass by at a time, if someone wants to build something that can take upwards of 30 days, then I will ask the rest of the players what they are doing for the next month. This will help it go faster than day by day.

We need a well balanced team of people to help build up the city. Whether that involves getting food, supplies, building, trade, etc, it's all necessary.

Basic Rules

Looking for a few new active players to bring in some life to the village. We officially have a Town Hall! And are building houses and walls to protect the village. Things may get hairy soon...

1. You will be an 3rd level NPC character, pick a type of job you want and a class.
Class Guide: http://2orcswalkintoabar.blogspot.co...l-in-d-5e.html
2. Please make sure your race is one that can reproduce, and note in order to continue with the world building and making the town larger the only way is through reproduction or recruiting passerbys to join the team. With that in mind, keep in mind what races can and cannot mix.
3. You will have a "day job", that requires you to work with to earn income and items to help build the town. Please list what job you are wanting to do, and I will use that information to determine who is the best fit for the nomadic team to start. You may also pick what your spouse/partner is going to do.
4. Magic is extremely rare. As you can see in the linked site there are very few magic casters.
5. I'm not doing experience points. Once the town is leveled up enough to justify a level up for everyone, I will let you know that you have leveled up.
6. Accepting 5 - 6 players.
7. Posting rules, about once a week
8. Post size is at least one to three paragraphs.
9. More rules will potentially pop up as issues arise or questions are asked.

Application
Your Name
Picture
Name:
Race:
Personality:
Flaws:
Fears:
Background:
What would you provide as a member of the town?
What would you want to see provided to the town?

Spouse/Partner
Name:
Race:
Personality:
Flaws:
Fears:

RP SampleWrite an example of why you became a nomad to begin with, and/or how you convinced your spouse/partner to leave with you. Why leave the comfort of your town where you had something (potentially), and go to find and make up your own town?

Jobs Available Jobs in Red are currently being occupied by either players or NPCs. If you pick one of those make it interesting or a side job that will be useful for the village.

Backgrounds Backgrounds (Cont)
Alchemist's Apprentice Locksmith's Apprentice
Baker Mercenary
Barber Merchant
Blacksmith Miner
Butcher Minstrel
Cook Pig Keeper
Drover Retired Veteran
Druid's Apprentice (magic user) Sailor
Dung Carter Scholar/Sage
Farmer Shepherd/Goat Hoarder
Fisherman Stone Mason
Forester/Hunter/Trapper Temple Acolyte
Guild Artisan Tinker
Innkeeper (former) Village Priest
Laborer/Porter Wizard's Apprentice (magic user)
Carpenter Woodcarver

😤I have taken the Oath of Sangus😤

Last edited by FatherDondo; 10-08-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:30 PM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 148
Amarga Amarga
Is a spouse a requirement for a nomad? Or could I potentially make a wandering loner who decides to settle down with the growing population?
Old 09-22-2019, 11:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
DouglasDouglas
”Character Application”
”Character Images”
Alfward Grubeheim

Loddia Grubeheim

”Character Description”
Name: Alfward Grubeheim
Race: Mountain Dwarf
Job: Miner
”Aflward Grubeheim Background”
Background: Mining Guild Artisan
Personality Trait: Anything worth doing is work overdoing. I will work late into the night at the detriment of my health and sanity, just to ensure that the walls and ceiling to my mine is structurally sound and smoothly hewed.
Ideal: Each person should be free to pursue their own goals in life. This does not mean that one should eschew community, rather I believe that a community is build upon the free interaction of successful and diligent citizens.
Bond: I pursue success and wealth to secure the love of my lifelong spouse. My wife, Loddia, and I have been friends since before I first held a pickaxe and she first brewed the ale that made me fall in love with her. It is for her, and the future family that I want to make with her, that I work.
Flaw: Nothing is enough for me, in regards to my profession. I am driver by a impulse to dig deeper and deeper into the earth. I will not be satisfied until I find myself in the Underdark or the Elemental Place of Earth. Even then, I will want to dig deeper.
Purpose in Community: I will provide an endless supply of stone and valuable goods for every member of the community. Stone will build the walls and foundations for the buildings of the city. Coal will fuel the fires of every household and business. Gemstones will help the tinkerer and merchants meet their needs in service to the community. Ore will provide the material needed for weapons, armor, axles, horseshoes, anvils and any other required equipment. Gold and silver, will provide a source of money for the community to purchase products that we ourselves can not obtain at the time.
Desires for Community: Nothing would please me more than a secure wall to protect those that I love, the friends I care for, and even those in the community who I feel could work harder. After the construction of a solid wall, I would like to see a stone tower be built to see all of the surrounding area. My wife, whose brew was famous before The Madness erupted in our home city, could provide ale for the inn. Oh, and who could forget, I want to provide the materials for a forge that is the greatest and most famous in the region.

”Spouse Description
Name: Loddia Grubeheim
Race: Mountain Dwarf
Job: Cook & Brewer
”Loddia Grubeheim Background”
Background:Folk Heroine
Defining Event: Years before The Madness overtook our city, my wonderful wife, Loddia, brewed cask upon cask of ale which was left in an unguarded cavern as a trap for the dark dwarves of the Underdark. However, the daughter of an apothecary, my wife brewed it in such a manner that would cause even the dark dwarves to fall into dreamless slumber that night. While they were incapacitated, our soldiers captured their entire tribe and properties, and we were victorious over the enemy. My wife won a medal, which sadly, she lost during The Madness when we fled out home city.
Personality Trait: Whenever she sets her mind to something, there is nothing that can change her mind. If you think I am stubborn, then you are in for a surprise. Moradin himself could not sway her mind once she has made it!
Ideal: Tyrants should never be suffered. Those who would control another through force or coercion should be removed from power. The violence and suffering caused by the dark dwarves forces my wife into action, and it was her wisdom that cause our city to be free from the slavers below.
Bond: If there were one thing that Loddia cares for more than myself, then it would be her desire to ensure that those around her are happy. She wants the community to be filled with joy and pleasure. This is the reason why she became a brewer.
Flaw: Well, if I must say that my wife has a flaw –You promise you will tell her that I said she was flawless, right? – then I would say that she has always been subject to the most unusual curse imaginable. Wherever she goes, whatever she does, things around her just... disappear. She is not a thief, trust me. No, rather, things seem to disappear into thin air. Years later they may come back, though they are warped and twisted into unearthly artifacts of what they once were. If I had to put my finger on the cause, I would say that she was a conduit to the Realm of Elemental Chaos.

Roleplay Sample
Sample: Alfward recalls the story while drinking a tankard of ale, all the while looking lovingly toward his wife who is preoccupied with grinding hops between her fingertips. ”I tell you, there isn't anything worse than fleeing your home, though I don't have to tell you that! You fled your home as well. Augh!” he grunts with displeasure while shaking the tankard toward the ceiling in frustration, “What an ass I am!

”Yes,” Loddia responds with pleasure, ”You are an ass. You can help me with these hops while you tell your story for the twelfth time this evening.

With furrowed brow Alfward looks toward his wife, huffs, and snatches a handful of hops from the barrel at the end of the table. He mumbles loudly to himself, “I work all day and now I have to crush up these damn hops. I tell you wh--,”

”Aye? Loddia responds with a stern voice, ”You'll tell me what? You haven't worked all day, but you've been drinking all my ale. That's what you've done today”

”I worked yesterday! Alfward snorts. ”Anyway! he continues, while crushing hops with undue force, “our city was overcome by The Madness. It was a strange disease of the mind, which caused countless of our brethren to flee into the Underdark. First, one person left in the middle of the night. Then two the following night. A week later, an entire family fled into the depths without as little as a word. We convened a council meeting, and we decided to follow our clansmen to determine what their fate was. When we found them, their heads were cracked open like eggs. They –,”

”They were killed by the Illithids of the Underdark, Loddia finishes with a cold, stern voice.

He took a heavy gulp from his tankard and continues, “When we returned to the city, those of us that remained made the decision to flee. We gave ourselves one night to prepare, and another family was lost to The Madness that night. We left with one mountain goat and a cart of our remaining goods. While traveling, we had to sell nearly everything we owed. We arrived here with our professional equipment, our clothes, and an old goat that is more troublesome than he is valuable. But, he is a good goat and protects Loddia, while I am in the mines.”

Last edited by DouglasDouglas; 09-29-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:57 PM
Wayward Zephyr

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3247
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
Umazira
Umazira of the Sword Mountian Tribe
Name: Umazira (Oo Mah ZEER Ah)
Race: Half-orc
Job/Background: Druid's Apprentice (magic user)
Personality Trait 1: I feel far more comfortable around animals than people.
Personality Trait 2: I'm always picking things up, absently fiddling with them, and sometimes accidentally breaking them.
Ideal: Glory. I must earn glory in battle, for myself and my clan.
Bond: I will bring terrible wrath down on the evildoers who destroyed my homeland.
Flaw: I have a weakness for the vices of the city, especially hard drink.
Fears: My mentor gave me a journal filled with lore and wisdom. Losing it would devastate me.
What if I go so deep into an animal that I never come back?
Background: Inheritor
What would you provide as a member of the town? Umazira and Kamorim give the group more options for community support. There are many groups of humanoids that will run screaming (either away or toward with weapons bared depending on power levels) when they are approached by a group of humans, elves and dwarves (the makeup of a normal adventuring party) who might at least be willing to talk with a pair of half orcs. Kamorim might also have made some potential black market contacts in his previous business attempts
What would you want to see provided to the town? A safe-haven for those who do not fit in with other communities and merit based advancement rather than by use of some other metric.

Spouse/Partner
Name: Kamorim (Kah MOR Em)
Race: Half-orc
Job/Background: Merchant (Failed Merchant)
Personality Trait 1: I love a good insult, even one directed at me.
Personality Trait 2: I'm confident in my own abilities and do what I can to instill confidence in others.
Ideals: Redemption. Too many people consider me a failure. So I need to prove them wrong.
Bonds: A proud noble once gave me a horrible beating, and I will take my revenge on any bully I encounter.
Flaws: I failed, but I’m awesome. So when anyone else is successful, it must be because of nepotism, dishonesty, or dumb luck.
Fears:What if I am nothing but a savage?
What if I am never able to provide for my family?

Last edited by kanly; 09-30-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:47 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@amarga It's not a requirement to have a spouse. From an rp perspective it gives you more to work with, and mechanically it lets you accomplish more in a shorter amount of time, but it's by no means going to disqualify you not to have one.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:11 AM
Groom'd

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13548
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
Barrick 'Lucky' Hillway"Hello ladies. You have the pleasure of speaking with Barrick Hillway. Or lucky if you prefer, because I certainly hope to make you feel that way! I'm the man of your dreams if you'll just let this little human into your big heart."

"By day you'll find me in the finest kitchens that the town has to offer; by night, maybe we'll find our way back to your bedroom where I can woo you with my dextrous lips while I serenade you on my flute. That it, until they find themselves otherwise occupied. Wink."

-- CUT --

Did you just say wink? I feel like you were just supposed to, you know, do... the wink? Like you wrote this bit. You should know that.

Well yes, but I'm not able to do the wink in a sexy kind of way, but I still need them to know I'm being coy. In case they don't pick up on the innuendo. I mean sometimes I'm just too clever for --

Right, clever. Whatever, let's just get on with it.

-- ACTION --

"Ahem. I love long walks on the beach with a glass of wine and a picnic I've packed just for us two. Whether we're collecting seashells, catching some fresh oysters that I can prepare over our private campfire, or just dipping our toes into the moonlit ocean, I'll be sure to take your breath away. Just don't tell your husband... unless he wants to join in."
Background

Name: Barrick "Lucky" Hillway
Race: Human
Job: Cook (main) and flautist (hobby, mostly); formerly courtier (disgraced)
Ideal: The world needs a bit more love, and in love, all is fair
Bond: My mother is the one woman who I could never objectify. If she were still alive, I don't think she'd be proud of what I've become.
Fears: Drowning, angry husbands, and being alone
Spouse: "Vacancies available. Wink."

Personality:
  • I have LOTS of misplaced confidence.
  • My voice is usually the loudest in any given room
  • Persistence is key -- I generally don't know when to give up

Flaws:
  • I have some deep-seated commitment issues that I am not willing to own up to. As a result I'm a bit of a homewrecker.
  • Persistence is key -- I generally don't know when to give up

What would you provide as a member of the town?
  • Comic relief, as well as lots of intention to, ahem, grow the population
  • He's actually quite a good cook, and considering that he's on the run he'll take whatever jobs he can get
  • He's the guy you love to hate, which means that he'll probably end up being friends with most people

What would you want to see provided to the town?
  • He loves working with expensive ingredients, so he'll want to see the town thrive so that it attracts wealthy patrons who are willing to pay a premium for gourmet meals
All the king's women...Damndamndamndamndamndamndamn

Barrick's bare feet carried his bare body down the (very) cold stone halls of the keep, pressed onward at a breakneck pace thanks to the encouragement of angry yells and steel boots echoing somewhere behind. Deep down he always suspected things might end up this way, but the Gods knew that he wasn't ready for it just yet. He'd gotten too ambitious, gone too far.

If he didn't come up with something fast there would certainly be hell to pay.

Well, he thought, it was fun while it lasted, but it looks like I'll need to cook up (heh) a daring escape. I hear the outlands are nice this time of year...

A door passing to by his right side caused him to slide to a halt, back-stepping to be in line with the portal as he formed a plan in his mind. Grinning, he ducked inside.

A minute later, two more sets of feet approached the same door, just as Barrick emerged carrying a tub of potatoes. His previously-nude physique was sloppily clad in a scullery outfit -- dirty apron and all.

Pushing the door shut behind him, he locked eyes with the guards. For his part, a smile found his way onto his face, matching the intensity of the scowl forming on that of his opposite.

"Ahh, Pence, excellent timing! There was a man who passed by here mere moments ago. Naked as he came, and looking terribly frightened. I'm thinking perhaps you should--"

"Shove it, Lucky. Your time is up. You really think you could bed the Baroness and walk out of here alive? You're out of line, mate, and I'm going to bring you in for a well-deserved hanging, I swear on me mum."

By looking at him you'd think a dagger pierced his heart. The guard's words appeared to take Barrick aback in a most dramatic fashion. "The Baroness? My word, what scandal! And you think I, a lowly chef for his Lordship, would be capable of such treachery? My Lady is a lovely woman, to be sure, but I would never! Perish the thought! To think that the nude miscreant from mere moments hence could have performed such a deed, and through his ill timing have blame cast upon the innocent servant merely performing his duties here in the pantry."

The first guard sighed, more an angry thing than an exasperated one. He was barely able to contain himself before the second leaned on his spear with a smirk and a nod. "You're sweating, Lucky. Lots of running in the pantry? Or maybe you're just happy to see us."

"There is indeed, good sir!" Barrick puffed out his chest. "Why, I make the finest meals in the kingdom -- nay, on the continent! To perform such miracles one must pay attention to every minute detail, and must attend to every task with both skill and haste. I find myself run ragged so that his Lordship may feast. I have even gone so far as to fetch these fresh potatoes myself so that they would not bruise. Can't trust anyone these days, I dare say. And further, let me tell you that these tubers, high quality veg that they are, have both density and considerable heft. Exertion comes with the territory, good fellow. I have earned the sweat on my brow!"

A tense silence followed. Barrick did his best to hold his face in a delicate balance of indignation and friendliness while Pence seemed to be doing everything in his power not to deck the cocky cook just for the satisfaction. The second guard simply regarded his quarry thoughtfully.

"Fine, not like you can go anywhere. Come on, Pence. Let's go look for this 'nude miscreant.'"

"You cannot be serious. Come on, Avery, he clearly did it. Let's take him in and be done with it!"

"Maybe, but are you willing to risk letting the real culprit escape if he didn't? Besides, what's he got that would tempt Lady Blackwater?"

Pence growled. "Ugh, fine. But mark my words, Hillway: You'll get yours."

"As will we all, my good man. Best of luck apprehending the presumed assailant! I must be getting these back to the kitchen. You know how hungry his Lordship gets when he's upset. I'll just be... If you could excuse me... Just a little... Ah, there we go. Good evening, gentlemen!"

The two soldiers watched him walk down the hall for a moment before continuing down their original path in a rush. All the while Barrick kept a wide, friendly grin plastered on his face.

Deeeeeefinitely the outlands.

Last edited by DAquilina; 10-06-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:12 PM
Groom'd

Tools
User Statistics
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
Question: How does character creation work? i.e. How do we roll starting stats, what are the available classes (I'm assuming we would use the ones from pages 53-55 of this)?
Old 09-24-2019, 07:56 PM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 148
Amarga Amarga
Really cool campaign idea, tell me if I missed anything!
Application
Reimar

ReimarName: Reimar Bach
Job/Background: Retired Veteran
Personality: An old soldier, Reimar has seen many friends die over the years, he finds it hard to get too attached to people, and doesn’t even place much value on his own life, aside from his responsibility to his son.
Flaws: I’m rather distant, and although I do care, I have a hard time showing it. Along with this I’m haunted by the memories of the monsters I’ve seen over the years, and can’t help but remember them in nightmares.
Fears: I’m afraid that my past will come back for me, that the army and men I abandoned will find out my deceit.
Background: Reimar was a soldier,
What would you provide as a member of the town? Reimar is a seasoned veteran and a decent squad leader. He knows the basics of defence and can train new recruits into a decent militia, as well as being a decent fighter himself.
What would you want to see provided to the town? Reimar just wants a place for his grandson to thrive, away from the problems of lands far away, and away from war. For Reimar a quiet, peaceful life is all he wants for the future.

Siegmeyer

SiegmeyerName: Siegmeyer Bach
Job/Background: Fisherman/ Farmboy
Personality: Nervous and twitchy from a traumatic past, yet earnest and eager to do his best, idolizing his grandfather and wanting to impress him. He struggles with his fears, and tries to overcome them.
Flaws: Is terrified of aberrations, and will most likely break down if faced by one, has a general, yet less crippling fear of goblinoids.
Fears: The young boy is haunted by the visions of the day his village was destroyed, and is terrified that it will happen to his new home as well.

Another Day On the Road “We almost there grandad?” The boy asked, bouncing up and down on the back of the ragged old cart. “Almost Sieg,” Reimar huffed, trying to get the most out of the old horse pulling the cart, “The lake is just around the next bend.” The pair turned on the old path, the sun shined on the green hills, the lake glistened like crystal. Sieg grinned childishly before fixing what he thought was a determined look onto his face. Reimar gave a small smile, helping the earnest lad get his fishing rod and meager gear ready. Reimar leaned against cart as Sieg eagerly started throwing his line, and grimaced as he noticed an old man and his mule settle next to him. “Hey there stranger!” The old man, obviously some sort of wandering peddler, greeted, “Name’s Lino, how goes?” Reimar suppressed a sigh, and just gave a curt nod, “Good, and you?”
The old peddler, Lino gave a rueful grin and a shake of the head, “Can’t complain m’self, business ain’t been too nice out here, but it’s a good day. Us old fellas gotta take what we can get, eh?” Reimar couldn’t help but smile a bit at that, He’s right about that, instead he just nodded and gave a grunt. Lino didn’t seem deterred by Reimar’s standoff attitude, and pressed on, “What brought you out here stranger? You lot don’t look like traders.”

Reimar sighed openly at that, understanding that this talkative peddler wasn’t going to give him any peace unless his curiosity was sated. “I’m a… retired, soldier.” Reimar began, “fighting out in the north-western end of the realm,” The old peddler’s face flinched at that, his eyes showing discomfort, Reimar didn’t blame him, it was bad business out there, “I was under the banner of a minor noble, Lorenz was his house’s name, I can’t remember his first name though.” Reimar winced at the memory, Lorenz had been a good leader and decent tactician, he hadn’t deserved the end he got. Reimar looked out at the lake, Siegmeyer was struggling with a catch, that’s a fairly quick catch, “And what about the lad?” Lino asked, noticing the struggle and giving a chuckle, “Doubt a boy that young’s yours, he your apprentice or something?” Reimar shook his head, “I told you I’m an old soldier, not a craftsman. The boy happens to be my grandson.” They stood in silence for a few moments, Sieg’s thrashing and the occasional shuffling of the mule and horse filling the silence. Lino seemed to be wondering whether to ask further, but eventually seemed to make a decision, “And where’re his parents?”

Reimar closed his eyes, gods above he sometimes wished he could forget, but he refused to let their memory die. “His parents died in a raid, I returned from campaigning to find our village in ruins, I still don’t know who or what had attacked.” He looked over as Sieg, with a final yell of effort, hauled his catch out of the water. It was a decently sized fish, if they prepared it properly it would be able to feed them for a day or two, a refreshing break from the bland trail rations they had subsisted on so far. “The boy probably knows,” Reimar continued, “He says he doesn’t remember it, and I don’t doubt he doesn’t, not consciously at least, but he certainly dreams about it.” Lino was very quiet, he looked out at Siegmeyer, the joyful looking boy was eagerly hustling back up the hill with his catch in hand. Reimar saw pity in Lino’s eyes, and silently turned to regard the boy, smiling at his boyish cheer, despite the grim topic of the story.

“I caught a big one gra-” Sieg slowed as he noticed Lino, “Now that’s a catch!” Lino exclaimed, putting on a show of exaggerated friendliness for the boy, “The name’s Lino, pleasure to meet ya!” Lino put out his hand to shake Sieg’s “Siegmeyer…” Sieg said, keeping his voice level and shaking the peddler’s hand, Reimar noticed a slight tremble in the movement, and saw the fear in Sieg’s eyes, despite his polite smile. “W-would you like to share a meal with us?” Sieg asked quickly turning to stand by Reimar’s side. Lino must have noticed Sieg’s slight tremble, because Reimar knew that the old coot would have liked nothing more than a decent meal with some good strangers to swap stories with. Instead Lino shook his head with exaggerated sadness, “Sorry lad,” He said adjusting the straps on his mule, “I’m pretty sure I’m already behind schedule, I’ll need to hurry if I want to get to the next town before my wares go bad.” He began leading off the mule, giving Reimar an understanding nod as he mounted and started off. Reimar returned the nod, silently thanking the old peddler, not such a bad fellow that Lino, still…, “I never did catch your name by the way.” Lino said over his shoulder, still within earshot, “It’s Armin” Reimar said. Lino’s gave a classic salesman’s smile as he waved goodbye to the duo, “Then take care, Armin, Sieg! May we meet again someday!” and with that, he turned to the road as the pair waved farewell.

“Come on Sieg,” Reimar said, putting a comforting hand on the boy’s shoulder, “Let’s cook up that fish of yours.” Sieg beamed up at him, his trembling gone, “Yay! I’ll prepare the fish!” and with that he ran to the cart to collect the knife. Reimar smiled faintly, glad that the lad was himself again, he looked over to see Lino one last time, disappearing over the crest of a hill, and turned back to start their cooking fire.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:44 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 811
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Bernard Bosch, Barrister
left-aligned image
Job/Background: Barrister (Sage)
Personality: Bernard is highly intelligent but introverted though talkative and often seems distracted. He doesn't suffer fools gladly and has a sharp cutting tongue when provoked.
Flaws: Forgetful, particularly of names and small details, and his eyes have deteriorated to the point where he can't read print anymore.
Fears: Bernard fears that his advancing age is an indicator of mental deterioration and that his affection for Renaldo will get them both in trouble.
Backstory: Bernard was a promising legal scholar but instead of going to the bench, he was recruited by the throne to advise the Star Chamber. Years of advising council members and kings have made him as cynical as he is learned and changes in the political wind made him think that his best chance was to get far, far away from the court to the most remote place possible. After all, no one trusts an honest man.
What would you provide as a member of the town? Bernard feels he would make a fine judge to deal with all the problems and disputes that inevitably arise. Law is the basis of civilization and he can bring the law to this far outpost of civilized man.
What would you want to see provided to the town? Courts, law, a competent and honest sheriff or town watch that will allow its citizens to thrive.

Renaldo Susurro
right-aligned image

Race: Half-Elf
Job/Background: Trader/Merchant (non-guild) -- Renaldo had a small shop in the capital dealing in scents, spices, and sundry. In fact, he called it "Scents, Spices, and Sundry." His shop burned in the riots and he was forced to flee the city. In his flight, he joined up with Bernard with whom he became lovers.
Personality: Renaldo is quickwitted, friendly, and affable. He likes people to be cheerful around him and always has a good word for anyone who doesn't set themselves deliberately against him.
Flaws: Renaldo enjoys life but doesn't particularly want to work hard to do so. He lets things slide until they come to a crisis and sometimes is prone to panic.
Backstory: Renaldo grew up with his human mother, a minor noble who had been seduced by a smooth and handsome elven man (stereotype, I know, but there's a reason they became stereotypes). With his father's charm and his own attraction to men, he became the lover, then partner of an apocathery and shopkeeper, eventually taking over the shop when his partner died.
What would you provide as a member of the town? Every town needs trade to grow and people to keep track of the trade. Renaldo would like to be the town's trader and merchant.
What would you want to see provided to the town? In addition to work, everyone needs to play. Renaldo is not as thrilled as Bernard to be this far from civilization and starting a fresh life. He is hoping for something resembling a night life -- drinking, socializing, entertainers, etc.

Last edited by penbeast0; 09-29-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:11 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I'm seeing some interesting ideas so far guys. Also, for those who haven't, feel free to add in a secret for your characters if you wish.

@DAquilina: I added in a link to the resource we're using for classes; accidentally missed it when I initially put it up.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:38 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
DouglasDouglas
Old 09-30-2019, 10:12 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@penbeast Bernard seems like an interesting character; I just want to stress that the community is relatively small atm, so it might be a little bit before he can do some real lawyerin', so be prepared to have something to keep him busy, ok?

Old 10-05-2019, 09:36 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Alright, we're getting close. Finish up those WIP's!

(WIP it good)

Old 10-06-2019, 03:06 PM
Groom'd

Tools
User Statistics
App is pretty much done. I'm still a bit unclear on character advancement but aside from picking a few spells I think the mechanics are good. Let me know if there is need for any corrections.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:08 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Umber Umber
Reed Brothers

-(Little Brother)-

right-aligned image

Name:
Libra Reed
Race:
Half Elf
Job:
The Sailor
Class:
Level 3 Monk (Self Taught Scholar) - Arms of the Astral Self

Personality:
Quirky and jesting when soft-spoken, sometimes solemn with storms ahead. A natural social creature with a shrewd mind for business and navigating the seas. Enjoys reading about and looking up at the stars.
Flaws:
Libra struggles with keeping his guard up around kindness or praise. He compulsively strikes up a conversation with each person he hasn't seen yet that day. He evades the sight of blood. He values money and elite networking over friendship. He loses his temper often with his sister. He cannot help but be raging jealous of his sister's fighting prowess. He no longer has land legs, so he stumbles and trips. This competitiveness has led him to a book on the monastic tradition of the Astral Self, so day and night while at sea, he has disciplined himself mind, body, and soul.
Fears:
He is afraid of drowning, which explains his speedy trips at sea. He would outright deny it when asked if he secretly feared for his sister's life. He fears loss of control or worse, being shunned from the community. He fears pirates, gunpowder, and stories of krakens and Leviathans.
Background:
As a sailor between coastal towns, he cuts travel time or distance, importing and exporting merchandise, equipments, spices, foods, and freshly caught fish. He even gives passengers a lift for a price. He is happy with expanding his humble home for it will further grow his naval enterprise. His elf father was captain, and he was navigator. But father got killed, leaving him the ship to assume command. Being lawful neutral, he sees to it that his crew is protected.

-(Big Sister)-

right-aligned image

Name:
Virgo Reed
Race:
Half Elf
Job:
The Mercenary
Class:
Level 3 Fighter - Champion

Personality:
Unforgiving, fault-finding, score-keeping, and respecting animals and plants more than human life. Lays down her rules. Obsessive with keeping herself and things clean. Glass half empty and someone spit in it kind of mindset.
Flaws:
Virgo smokes too much tobacco and weed. She chugs mint tea to freshen her breath. She used to stammer and was a selective mute, resorting only to writing. Having found her confidence, she struggles now with speaking without injury. Her caustic words can cut, and she utters them sincerely. When things do not go her way, she falls on intimidation and blackmail. She resents her brother for being close to their only parent, their elf father. Though she does not wish to hurt her brother, she takes delight in pushing his buttons and hearing him yell.
Fears:
Dreads violence, which explains her unhesitant charges into battle. She openly worries for her brother's life and does not let him forget it. She fears vengeful and undying spirits. Conversations that are boring and seemingly endless horrify her. She suppresses the scary thought that she might potentially have lung cancer or gum disease. She gets jitters about trusting the wrong people, having been betrayed once too many times in the past.
Background:
As a mercenary, she gladly defends the ship or the town from invasions. On her bad days, she can be bought as a hired blade to coerce someone to repay their debts. She is a wild card for the sake of amassing her fortune, and her loyalty lies with the highest bidder. Chaotic neutral has her fixate on hedonism at any cost.

RP Sample:
It was another ordinary day at the docks. The busy, noisy, and volatile backdrop was muffled to the anchored ship where Libra Reed alone mopped the deck. Father was away to the merchants in their marketplace, dealing in power struggles and heated negotiations, and Virgo was away somewhere in a shady alley, also raking in someone's money. The sun would set, Father would return, and a late dinner would follow, discussing his big sister's destiny and once again, Virgo would announce her tardiness after eavesdropping on mutinous conspiracies. Then that would be that, Libra would roll his eyes, and Father would set sail. But today was not that day. The day proved instead to be the worst day of their lives. The sun set, a crimson blaze sinking below the horizon. Father did not come. A ruthless, rude howl came from the sea came right from the crashing rocks. Dinner was skipped. Discussion was pending. Libra looked on forlornly at the smoky city, getting a despairing chill. Virgo came hastily on board to his relief, but with wringing raw hands and shifty tear-filled eyes, muttering and pacing in frenzied circles.

"You should have seen it," Virgo said, all high-strung. She shook her weary head. "Children trampled by soldiers, feasted on by starved hounds. Churches and libraries set on fire. This city... it's become a war zone."

Libra went silent. He wanted to speak, he wanted to get his mind off it, to lose himself in harmonic and mindless gregarious chatter, but his throat tightened and betrayed him of any sound. He could only show his stricken face, and that served enough. Virgo checked the ship, "Father's not back?"

"There, he's coming!" Libra jabbed a finger towards the docks.

Their father limped and crashed through several barrels. He shouted warnings. Libra immediately got to hoisting the anchor, in case they needed to flee now. Virgo raised a rusty blade. A militia they had not seen before came to collect their father. They stood the elf up on his feet and before his children's eyes, they sheathed four swords into his broken body. They executed him unceremoniously on the spot, on the docks, as soon as the sun plunged them into an unholy darkness. Virgo, dropping her blade, could do nothing but scream curses as Libra steered the ship far away from the Northwest. Now they had no other family left but each other.

Last edited by Umber; 10-14-2019 at 03:19 AM.