RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-01-2019, 12:00 AM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1930
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
My app is ready for feedback, I'd appreciate it from anyone. I want to keep getting better at my writing so I welcome all critiques. I'm kind of going for the kid of the SWTOR republic trooper and Elara Dorne, sort of vibe.

Yes I will be checking for grammar and structure, I just have work today.

Last edited by Jasontheswift; 10-01-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:30 AM
Always The Kawaii Addict

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9971
DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987 DoubleL1987
Never used the FATE system but I'll give it a look because FIREFLY!

Played in a few games using the Cortex ruleset and was a fullblown Companion every time so I think I'll roll that set of dice again (Hope I'm not stepping on your concept, grdell ) and have the bones of an app up soon!

Last edited by DoubleL1987; 10-01-2019 at 03:30 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:06 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 200
grdell grdell grdell
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleL1987 View Post
(Hope I'm not stepping on your concept, grdell )
Not at all. We can reminisce about dulcimer lessons.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:49 PM
The Good Doktor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16459
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Gorram, I do love me some Firefly. Let me see if I can whip something up.

Application
right-aligned image

Name: Brent Wise
Home Planet: -???-
Physical Description: Brent is an old man, by this business's standards. It's not hard to guess he's running from the law somewhere but he keeps his mouth shut exactly as to where. His skills speak of an official training somewhere but he tries to keep that hidden. He's old enough to been in the war, and has the scars to show for it whether he denies it or not. He usually doesn't. He dresses like he had money once but not anymore.

Role: Engineer
High Concept: Secret Ex-Alliance Engineer
Trouble: Big Secret
Background Aspect: Alliance connections
Background Story:
Mr. Wise's real name was Nathan Benson, a loyal core-worlder with a bright career ahead of him when the War broke out. Yep, that's his big dirty secret - was that he was in the War as an Engineer for the Alliance. A good one too. He ended up in one of those think tanks where they do nothin' but sit in a room and tinker while cookin' up ways to kill people.

Wasn't until after the War that he really started thinkin' about what he'd done. How he had made a whole buncha weapons and killed a buncha people that never did him no harm. Eventually he got to the point that he had to go see for himself, and he didn't like what he saw.

Officially, Nathan Benson died in a shuttle crash years ago. Mr. Wise on the other hand has mostly been feelin' sorry for himself and keeping his head down. But I'll say this for him, he is tryin' to do somethin' about how sorry he feels and better late then never I reckon'.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:37 AM
Imaginary

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2096
Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben
Either I have too many ideas or I'm too afraid of treading on the perfect balance of the Serenity crew, but here goes:
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Caroline Dunn
Home Planet: Londinium
Physical Description: Caro is a relatively tall, fit woman who can look anywhere from mid-20s to 50s depending on how she dresses. Her dark hair is thick and lusterous and her piercing green eyes are intelligent. She had the advantage of being raised on a Core world, so her features and skin bare the mark of a little extra genetic help and general good health.
Role you plan on playing: Jill-of-all-trades. She won't be the best one on the ship at any one thing, but she's ready for anything.

High Concept Ambitious Privileged Courier. Caro sees herself as providing a vital service by connecting Core and Rim for (potentially illegal) commercial purposes. She enjoys the trappings of the Core (especially the clothes), but finds the society stifling. Being successful would allow her to live her own life of privilege rather than the one expected of her.

Trouble: She Don't Fit In. Too Core for the Rim and too Rim for the Core, she travels back and forth but doesn't have a home in either world. This has left her with few allies and fewer places to hide when things go wrong.

Background Aspect: Military Brat. Both of Caro's parents were Alliance military. Although she was born on Londinium, she lived in a variety of different places in the Core, depending on her parent's posting. The Unification War destroyed all that. Her mother and father chose different sides in the conflict and they were both killed within a week of each other in different engagements when Caro was a teenager. Despite the skills and life experience she gained that still shape her today, she wants nothing to do with any military body and has an active disdain for most forms of authority.

Background: The Core worlds are boring. You'd be hard pressed to find some one to disagree with that fact. Most folk who live there are willing to pay for that boredom like it is a feature and not a bug. For a war-orphan-daughter-of-a-traitor-but-hey-also-of-a-war-hero, something has to fill that boredom.

Caro had already fallen in with a bad crowd and boosted her first transport with some other bored rich kids before she was out of school. A little time in a juvenile "education" facility because she didn't have the connections that her friends did only served to open up new and exciting avenues of crime. She dabbled in a few things, but it wasn't until she took a berth on a (totally legitimate not at all a smuggling) ship that she found her true calling. She ran jobs with a handful of different crews, ran even more on her own by using actual legitimate transport and managed to avoid getting pinched by the Alliance. She's at her best when she's moving between worlds. Folk tend to notice how she doesn't quite fit in one place or the other if she stays still for too long.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:41 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2432
Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas
Applications are looking good everyone.
I'm glad to see that theres this much interest in a firefly game.

Over the next day or two, I'll start messaging you all with any feedback or questions I have about your applications.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:51 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10347
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
I don't know much about FATE, but c'mon. Firefly?

I'm in. Gonna throw in a Pilot type. I'll get something up quick.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:08 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Application - Complete
left-aligned image
Name: Remika Roux, Nickname/Callsign during war - “Eureka”, or “Rika”
Age 41, looks around 30.

Home Planet: Illat

Physical Description: Remika is a small, petite, young woman who is cute, more than pretty some say. She looks to be around 30 yrs old, but is actually 41. She is almost always smiling, or has a pleasant look on her face. She’s fast with a joke, and sometimes unnerves those close to her by how she speaks to her ship like it’s alive and can understand her.

Role you plan on playing: Captain/Pilot/JOAT

1) High Concept. - Proper Villain & Good "guy" hiding in plain sight.
Rika has garnered a reputation for getting the job done, and just what that job is somehow entails flirting with trouble in some way or another. She tends to "borrow" or outright steal from the Alliance, or those so allied, and does reputable work with good folk when she can. Despite all this, she's got a bit of a soft heart for the less privileged and all around common people.

2) Trouble - I ain't heard no fat lady.
A reputation is sometimes gossip, but always comes from some place of truth. Rika loves a challenge, and is in no way scared or apprehensive to try things others wouldn't dare. "Impossible", is not in her vocabulary. This mentality always either gets her into trouble, or just naturally attracts it.

3) Background Aspect - Once a Rebel...
Going from a "frying pan" of a family into the fiery crucible of war changes a person. Even though she mostly spent her time in and around ships during this time, ships do have to land. She already had a rebellious mentality when she joined up and the Rebellious Browncoats just further cemented that into her character DNA.

4) A short background story, giving a reason why your character is in this line of work.
"Rika! I done offered you 6 guns, hell I got pert near a dozen layin' on the table. You only got the two hands, so why you askin' for more, gorramit!?", Fester said as he was becoming frustrated with Rika's lack of makin' up her mind.

"I'm not asking for more as in not enough, I'm asking for more as in better. I'm not a collector, and I don't need nuthin fancy, just show me the firepower, and I'll be on my way."

It took a big more coaxin' than she would have liked, and a whole lot more trade by way of favors and coin, but she got what she wanted. A short barreled auto repeater. She carried an open large knife on her hip. She also had one throwing knife in her boot, and one o' the same in a small sheath that was positioned in the small of her back, hooked onto what passed for her undergarment. Though she had a rep, those close to her knew she wasn't a gunslinger by a long shot. She felt the best way to end a fight was by puttin' the most bullets in the air in the direction of your target. Or, have someone along who could shoot a fly off a cow's back at a hundred paces and the cow would be none the wiser.

As soon as they were out of earshot of Fester, her fellow crewmate said, "You got took."
"What? I did not. This here repeater makes a statement", she said proudly.
"Yeah, it says you got took", her crewmate says with a bit of joy in their tone.
Rika caught the fun they were having and tried to steer it back to it all bein' part of her plan."No, it says that I got this here mighty fine weapon that spits out a lot of rounds and I ain't afraid to use it."
"Might say you ain't afraid to use it, but it also says I don't know If you don't know this slang, you're in the wrong game. gosa about guns", her crewmate continued to press home the fact she got took.
"That ain't what it says at all. It says that I'm a slight bit crazy enough to end a gunfight by putting ten times the number of bullets in the air between us, so don't try me."
"Well, it might say that. But it also says you're gonna go through bullets like Bluesun goes through coffee beans." Her crewmate actually chuckled now at their own attempt at a joke.
Her tone turned serious for a moment as Rika said, "Can't argue with that. You got any bullets that fit this? I didn't get any. Are they more expensive than normal ones?"
As she once again showed her ignorance with weapons, her crewmate sighed audibly and said, "You'll figure it out. I need a drink."

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 10-03-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:35 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 855
AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ
I've never done Fate, and I may not remember Firefly perfectly, but I can recall most of the good quotes.
This could be fun if you'll indulge me.

Application
right-aligned image
Name: Boze (just Boze)
Home Planet: St Albans
Physical Description: Boze is tall, broad, and easy to pick out in a crowd. He keeps his head shaved but vacillates between shaving his face and growing it out. Lean and muscled, he often dispenses with a shirt while tinkering and simply adds an overcoat when mingling outside the engine room.
Role you plan on playing: Mechanic 1st, Pilot & Enforcer 2nd, Face 3rd

High Concept Gentle Giant Gearhead - Boze embodies both inward and outward strength and spends a lot of time on weight training and quiet meditation. Beyond that, he has a certain empathy with both people and machines, yet typically prefers the solitude of working in the bowels of a ship.

Trouble: Can We Talk About This? - Though strong and somewhat skilled at fighting, Boze prefers the path of peace. Much better to turn an enemy into a friend than into a blood smear.

Background Aspect: Wary Deserter - Boze was snatched by Alliance enlistment goons, but he didn't stick around for much of the war. Since then he's been looking over his shoulder for the Alliance.

Background: Time was that Boze had a normal life, so to speak, complete with family, friends, an honest job, even a full name. The war changed all that. Alliance came looking for bodies to take bullets and give some back, and Boze got picked up with the rest of the boys his age. He already knew how to build, but it was the alliance that taught him to fly. And fly he did--right out to the Rim to sit out the fighting.

After the war he took the name Boze and started a new life for himself. Wouldn't make sense for the Alliance to waste people hunting him down, especially after all these years, but it's not like he can just go back to Core and work on Gurstlers as though nothing ever happened. Given that, he's spent over a decade drifting across the verse on various ships, filling various roles. He tends to shave his face and join a new crew whenever the Alliance comes too close for comfort.

Last edited by AlphaZ; 10-04-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:50 AM
I'm your huckleberry

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6955
Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs
I definitely don't have time for this game.

But ... Firefly

... and Fate ...

ARG!

Last edited by Roekahs; 10-03-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I think my application is complete.
Love me some Firefly.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:23 AM
Wandering Sage

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2166
Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid Nomadic druid
I've wanted to start something for some time...digging myself out of a funk...but Firefly might be the ticket outta here.... let's see what the old brain juices come up with.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:39 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2432
Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas Eddas
I'm glad to see so much love of Firefly.

The applications all look good.
One things for sure, we're going to have an interesting cast of characters.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:33 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 855
AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ AlphaZ
Might be good to go ahead and throw down a deadline on this so people have something to keep an eye on. Just a thought.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Question: Are those chosen starting out knowing each other, or newly met when we all get the ship somehow?
I ask because if it's the former, I'll start writing up some ideas for how Rika knows the others.