twitter facebook

Notices

Old 09-30-2019, 09:59 PM
Non Paradisi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2283
Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen Raizen
Very intriguing stuff here, phinar. I have some ideas brewing already. I'm leaning towards the agent route. Are we completely free to invent whatever noble house we work for? Are there any restrictions to keep things fitting within the setting?
Old 09-30-2019, 10:18 PM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11365
phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar
Im pretty easygoing. If something seems off-kilter from how I imagined the setting, well talk it through. But Im pretty easygoing.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:01 PM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16498
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
On The Surface
left-aligned image
Elias Arl-Haversi

'Sparrowhawk'

"If you wanna shakedown sailors for their stipend, do it on the east end or the shattered piers. If any Haversi sailors come up short of coin, I'm gonna come looking for you and I won't stop with looking. Feel free to ask around, kid. There ain't an alley in all of the harbor that I ain't spilled blood in."

There is no denying his devil-blood even if he never knew the one who saddled him with it. Russet colored skin pulled tight against his bones, eyes that are red irises in pools of black, dark horns that curve back over spiky black hair that looks more like a marriage of quills and fur than human hair. His smile is a window to sharp incisors and pointed canines, rows of teeth that are strikingly white against the darkness of his skin. He is narrow at the shoulders, lacking the bulk of a trained fighter or lifelong laborer, but he carries himself with the stride of a much larger man. There is a wary attentiveness to his movements, glances over his shoulder or into nearby shadows often accompanying his steps as though he can see trouble on the horizon. The fragrance of cheap beer and old blood clings to him frequently despite his efforts to hide them. The knives, though, he makes no secret of those. Pairs in sheathes on belt and bandoleer, enough to keep his hands full in any scrap. His clothing, and armor when his work requires it, is well-crafted and frequently marked with the green and white of house Haversi though he's never been granted the privilege of wearing the family's 'breaching whale against the sunset' crest.
The Bones Beneath

The Hook

As a boy, Elias crawled around in the muck of the harbor and never dared to dream of Northcliff. He'd pass his time and earn some coin with games of stabberscotch, knife tossing and simple tricks picked up from local gutter sorcerers. It put food on the table when criminal work was scarce. It was gambling on such games that caught the eye of Uthur Haversi, one of the Haversi family's twin scions, on his frequent escapes to 'rub elbows with the poors'. When Elias put his knives to use driving off muggers on Uthur's behalf, effectively siding with the rich over his own, he earned the right to take the name Arl-Haversi, literally 'belonging to Haversi'. The Haversi's are old money, a little tarnished by some bad business deals these days but still deeply invested in ship building and maritime cartography. A retainer to a noble house, even one that has lost some of its shine like the Haversi lineage, was a leap up from begging and busking. One part bodyguard, one part road agent. Sure, he has to put the screws to his old friends when they interfere with the family business but he eats better and stays warm at night. Let them call him a sellout, a turncoat, or whatever other slur they think up from the sewers they call home. He's cut a proper life for himself out of rich folk's coin and he won't lose that for anything.

The Concept

Elias' early adult years were forays into various forms of criminal behavior, under the thumb of various criminal organizations, with day-to-day survival the only goal. He learned to be quick with a knife, to duck when people were looking and to lie when ducking wasn't enough. He was always good in a fight and being one of the devil-kin meant a fight was always easy to find. He can dazzle a crowd with some flashy magic and he knows a few tricks to keep his skin intact but the deep stuff they study in the university never interested him. His knowledge of how the criminals in the harbor work, and his contacts still among them, makes him particularly good at keeping them away from Haversi interests,

Inheritors of the Imperium Nihilus | Rise of the First Order

Last edited by PopCultureBard; 09-30-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:43 PM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for your application, PopCultureBard! Glad to see you.

I have put together a little table of applications and a list of frequently asked questions. Probably not too illuminating for anyone who's been following along but I did get a little cheeky with the way I described some concepts. Please let me know if you think I've mischaracterized you!
Old 10-01-2019, 04:24 PM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1930
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
Man of the word with the keen eye

The Hook
Agent.

The Concept

Description

Roleplay Sample

Last edited by Jasontheswift; 10-04-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:35 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3342
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Knowitpack 'Pack' Noclan

The Hook: Scholar
Pack grumbled "Gnomes and Studies: ArtificerArtificers. Yes, it is a trope, but I'm good at it. What is more, tinkering pays the bills, and my handiwork got me into the University. Even got the attention of Professor Academic Advisor: Udele GraemesGraemes. So what if my Academic Standing: Marginal grades ain't the best. As long as they don't expel me. It isn't as if I have all day to study and all night to carouse. I need to bust my but to pay - pay for room and board, pay for tuition, pay for books, shoot paying for the bribes that the professors want. Fortunately, many professors are willing to take their bribes in the form of extra-credit activities. And as they say, if you don't get caught, it isn't a crime."

Character Concept: Short Person, Big Ego
An orphan abandoned in one of the teaming orphanages of Westport, Pack learned early on that he needed to be smarter and work harder than others to survive. As Gnome, others were quick to pick on and take advantage of Pack. He quickly learned when to roll with the punches. As well as, when to fight back and when to stab someone in the back. Pack's skills and spellcasting area a tool for survival and path out of the gutters into which he was born. From birth, people have dominated, abused, and taken advantage of Pack. He expects it and so is slow to warm to people. Pack sees his skills and his crafted item as an extension of himself. Demonstrating that despite his lowly origin and short stature, he is powerful.

Description
Pack's slight size marked him as non-human and likely a Gnome. However, he has none of the usual mannerisms or dress of a Gnome. Growing up in an orphanage with humans has made him closer to a human than a Gnome in dress and demeanor. His blonde hair is close-cropped, and he takes pains to ensure his face is shaven. As well, he dresses in everyday workman clothing with none of the bright ornamentation found on a Gnome's clothing. He is typically silent and withdrawn. He will offer facts if called upon but is reluctant to strike up a casual conversation. Packs face and hands are a bit paler than most Gnomes due to a lifetime spent inside -toiling at work and or studies. As well, his hands and cheeks have several old scars and burns from various experiments gone wrong.

Last edited by purplerook; 10-02-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:38 PM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16498
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinar
...a wholly-owned subsidiary...
Oh, man. That's so perfect.

I may tinker a bit with the app but I'm comfortable calling it complete.

Inheritors of the Imperium Nihilus | Rise of the First Order

Last edited by PopCultureBard; 10-01-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:14 PM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
Welcome, purplerook!

I got you updated, Poppy. It sure looks complete to me, but I don't like to speak for anyone.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:33 PM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3347
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinar View Post
ghetto kid got lucky
Perfect!

I think my app is complete, as well. Love this dumpster fire character already. It's an interesting arc for character to maybe think less of themselves, and more about others haha

I took the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Odyssey; 10-01-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:13 PM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
Hah! I just reread the RP rules.... haha ah ^_^' I completely forgot about it, so I guess I should've asked if the original idea is cool with you. I can re-write it according to the prompts though!

Old 10-01-2019, 11:09 PM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
Its totally fine. Leave it. Or change it, your call. But dont change it on my account.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:48 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4016
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Okay, Otis now has an RP sample up.
So that should make him complete.

Edit: nevermind. I missed the word limit and apparently blew right past. I'll cut it down to size later.

Last edited by hafrogman; 10-02-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:51 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3342
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Knowitpack 'Pack' Noclan is ready for review.

It has been a while since I had to write to a word limit. It was an exciting exercise cutting down the RP sample, without losing the essential flavor of Pack.

BTW, I admit that A Gnome Artificer (rare race and a UA class) is not the 'vanilla' for which you asked. However, I like the idea of standing a trope on its head. I knew that I had to give it a try when I saw that a couple of the professors in the College of Sorcery were Gnomes.

Pack's unofficial theme song...Short People by Randy Newman.

Last edited by purplerook; 10-02-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:56 PM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinar View Post
Its totally fine. Leave it. Or change it, your call. But dont change it on my account.
Okie dokie! I'll go ahead and leave it as is, then!

Old 10-02-2019, 04:13 PM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
I suppose I phrased things like 500 words was a hard limit, but I intended it more as a guideline. That said, the guideline is there for a reason: if I'm not hooked after 500 words, another 1000 won't help.