RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-02-2019, 07:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3342
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinar View Post
I suppose I phrased things like 500 words was a hard limit, but I intended it more as a guideline. That said, the guideline is there for a reason: if I'm not hooked after 500 words, another 1000 won't help.
I found the exercise to be good. In fact, I think I need to do it for more of my RP posts. I had a certain story that I wanted to tell and a personality that I wanted to convey. My first cut was 750 words. It was interesting going back and looking to see what was not necessary to tell the story or convey the personality. I started by cutting out a few paragraphs. By the end, I was going over each sentence, looking for words or phrases that were not necessary. IMO, I think the second pass gave me a better or at least tighter story.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:26 PM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11365
phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar
I think you're right. I think the exercise has its own rewards. But it's also interesting to see who reads closely and who doesn't. I'm pretty sloppy, myself; I need people to keep me in line.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:39 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1104
cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy
This got a bit longer than I expected, I hope that's ok.

Application
right-aligned image
Name: Safija Ianiyore

Hook: Scholar/Agent
Growing up in the slums of Eastgate Safija would have never thought that she would one day attent the famous University of Westport. It just wasn't the place for a poor half-elf girl like her even though she did possess magical abilities. She had found her home in the sewers and alleyways of the city despite her twin brother Rafdeyr's desperate attempts at getting her to join him in the "better" life he had managed to build for himself as a blacksmith. But Safija didn't care, she was happy sharing her bed with the street rats and earning what little she needed though the use of her medical skills.
That was until her brother's little daughter Vennoa got very sick and needed expensive medication which he could not affort. Despite their differences the twins are still very close, being the only family they have left, and Safija tried everything in her power to help her beloved niece but sadly without success. In her desperation she turned to more drastic messures, ending with her breaking into one of the University's alchemical labs. Unfortunally there she got caught by Jasce Chathier himself. But instead of calling the guards he offered her a deal: He would provide her with the medication she needed if she agreed to use her specific skillset to become his eyes and ears around the campus, optaining information on staff members and students without drawing attention.
Though the young woman was incredibly suspicious of the professor she didn't really have an option so she agreed. As part of their arrangement she got a scholarship as a student of the conjuration branch, providing her easy access to the University which would be her new workplace from now on.

Concept: Half-Elf Druid
The years on the street have made Safija into a tough and confident, but also cautious and misstrusting young woman. She feels at home in the underbelly of the city, hidden from civilisation and connecting with the life burried in the shadows of Westport. Maybe it's her fey blood or the fact that she spend a lot of time amongst them but she has a special connection with most animals, taking care of them as best as she can. As thanks a lot of them help her out from time to time, being her eyes and ears around the city.
Safija does not really like her new life in the university district. Of course she is curious and tries to seize the opportunity to learn more about her innate magic but having lived all her life in poverty she is disgusted by the weath she is presented with and harbors a deep rejection towards the higher society. She hates being under Chathier's thumb and vowed that she will only stay until she finds a way to heal her niece of her illness, no matter the cost.

Description:
In the clean and proper halls of the University Safija often attracts attention: Her red and brown hair is matted into dreadlocks which she has decorated with all kinds of wooden jewelry. Her slightly pointed ears are pierced multiple times as is her nose and lower lip. Usually covered by a hooded cloak which like the rest of her clothes still carries the dirt of her last trip to the city the slender girl like to wear simple dark shirts and pants, reminants of her time on the street. The sleeves only partly hide the tattoos that cover her pale arms up to the back of her hands.
Watching her closely one will notice her two darkly shadowed bright copper eyes watch their surroundings carefully from under the hood while her painted lips are forming a slight smirk. While she thinks she usually plays with the bangles around her wrists which she will only stop to pet Zumi, a little grey mouse that is always hiding somewhere in Safija's clothes.

Last edited by cookieyummy; 10-12-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:00 PM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3347
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
Quote:
I think you're right. I think the exercise has its own rewards. But it's also interesting to see who reads closely and who doesn't. I'm pretty sloppy, myself; I need people to keep me in line.
@-@ guilty.

I took the Oath of Sangus
Old 10-03-2019, 09:33 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1104
cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy
Alright, after reading though my application again I realized that I was not really happy with how it had turned out, especially compared to the other applications, so I rewrote her hook and concept, changing a couple of things.

I'm not really sure if Safija would be called a scholar or an agent now so I just wrote in both. I hope that is ok with you, phinar. If that doesn't fit just let me know and I will change it.

RP Sample should be ready by the end of the weekend.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:41 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 557
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
Brie Durlop

Hook: Agent Brie was the daughter of a well renowned Artificer by the name of Estes Durlop. His research was the foundation of the blasting rods in circulation today. Most of his lately had been spent on a secret project, the next generation of blasting rods Thunder Cannons. They would hit harder, farther, and be more versatile that the previous models. He had seen how the university and society at large treated the haves and the have-nots. It was time for a change, and he would make the weapon to bring about that change with the help of his daughter, Brie. It would her that would have to carry the torch should something happen to him.

Through constant communication with the rebels, he was able to get his research funded and make a prototype. Unfortunately, the University and military found out about his project and came to claim it. Estes and Brie quickly gathered up his research and the prototype. As Brie held open the trap door for her father to climb down after her, he gave one final tear stained smile and pushed her down the chute locking the door behind her. All she heard above her screams was a loud explosion that rained down debris after her. Already waiting at the bottom was her father’s old University colleague that had defected to the rebellion. He had to practically drag her away all the while she screamed for her father unwilling to believe he died in the blast. Eventually, she got over the shock and became determined to finish what her father had started. Not out of some altruistic ideals, but vengeance against her father’s murders.

Concept: Human Artificer (Artillerist) Having to deal with the death of her father and the curtain being lifted on how the people of the city were barely surviving while the wealthy flew high with their noses in the air, Brie became a woman bent on vengeance against the system that had become a meritocracy. Brie escaped with her father’s research and rifle prototype. When she wasn’t making technological advances with her Thunder Cannon, she was out in the field as a sniper providing cover fire for fleeing operatives. The weapon’s ability to use various types of magical shells have her the edge in most situations. She could adapt faster than the enemy could and get away when they tried to close in.

Description: Brie is a decently attractive young woman leaning towards an athletic build. Her orange hair shines light the coming of dawn. She smiles in most situations even the heat of battle because it infuriates her opposition. Her normal attire is studded Leather armor covered by a light blue cloak covered with dirt stains around the bottom edge. A pair of goggles with different color lenses hangs around her neck for when small repairs need to be made to her Thunder Cannon or other piece of gear. Speaking of Thunder Cannon, it is a prototype blasting rod that can use various different cartridges for versatility. It stands almost as tall as she does and weighs a fair amount. Around her waist is a series of belt pouches with various components for creating artificial magic on the fly. Her boots are covered in various gears with a slot for a power cell on the outside just above the ankle.

Last edited by Hiruma Kohaku; 10-06-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:00 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
@Phinar and @Hiruma

There are a couple of different varieties of Artificer UA. This appears to be the most recent one -
UA-Artificer2-2019.pdf

Which brings up perhaps a larger question of what would fit into the world in terms of artificers and weapons.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:21 PM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
@Hiruma does your concept work with a new-style Artificer? I've been playing with those rules in mind, but we can talk about it.

Here's what I had imagined: the study of the magical arts, and in particular artificery, has advanced dramatically. Artificers fit in this world, and a lot of them. They build the flying carpets and brooms that the wealthy fly around on; they install lighting in middle and upper class homes. Their magical contraptions provide a lot of "modern" conveniences.

Weapon-wise, 1d10 blasting rods are expensive, but available. They have a form factor like a rifle. 2d10 and 3d10 blasting rods exist, but are hard to lay hands on -- they're essentially rods that cast fire bolt.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:08 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
@Hiruma does your concept work with a new-style Artificer? I've been playing with those rules in mind, but we can talk about it.

Here's what I had imagined: the study of the magical arts, and in particular artificery, has advanced dramatically. Artificers fit in this world, and a lot of them. They build the flying carpets and brooms that the wealthy fly around on; they install lighting in middle and upper class homes. Their magical contraptions provide a lot of "modern" conveniences.

Weapon-wise, 1d10 blasting rods are expensive, but available. They have a form factor like a rifle. 2d10 and 3d10 blasting rods exist, but are hard to lay hands on -- they're essentially rods that cast fire bolt.
@phinar and @Hiruma, please let me know if you feel it inappropriate for me to but into this conversation.

My take on the V2 Artificer is that is a significantly more flavorful and powerful class. 2/3 vs 1/3 spell caster, more options for artificer devices.

My suggestion on building a ‘gunsmith’ is to use Crossbows. Alchemists have proficiency with hand, simple and heavy crossbows. There is an infusion that will make the weapon magical, avoid the ‘loading’ property and create ammo. I would suggest taking a VHuman and the ‘crossbow expert’ feat. This would allow the character a hand crossbow (pistol) firing twice per round in melee combat, or a heavy crossbow (rifle) firing once per round. As well, there is a first level spell ‘arcane weapon’ that allows an extra 1d6 of damage.

Outside of combat, the character would still have the tool proficiencies, spells and artificer infusions to make them an asset to the party.

BTW, my artificer Pack is going in a different direction - more of a support character - focused on tools and spells to support the party.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:00 AM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
So I guess my #1 response is: let’s figure out the character concept. We will figure out rules from there.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:25 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
So I guess my #1 response is: let’s figure out the character concept. We will figure out rules from there.
BTW, this is what really hooked me on this story/game - the first figure out the character and then work on the classes. IMO, one of the issues with the PBH is that people tend to pick a class/race and then a backstory.

Magic is a part of Pack's backstory, but he could as easily be a Wizard or a Warlock (Int based). As well, he could have been a small human or hobbit (the small stature is part of the character).
Old 10-05-2019, 12:58 PM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
I'm glad the idea resonates.

I should also say: my #2 response is: it can be fun to talk about character classes and rules systems, so no reason to stop that. I just want to make it clear that if Hiruma has a character concept that's like "my character has a big rifle/blasting rod/whatever" we can find a way to make that character work mechanically.

We might use the older rules, or we might use the newer rules and do the crossbow mastery thing but refluff the crossbow, or we might do something entirely new. All of them are good ideas and worth exploring.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:36 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I'm glad the idea resonates.

I should also say: my #2 response is: it can be fun to talk about character classes and rules systems, so no reason to stop that. I just want to make it clear that if Hiruma has a character concept that's like "my character has a big rifle/blasting rod/whatever" we can find a way to make that character work mechanically.

We might use the older rules, or we might use the newer rules and do the crossbow mastery thing but re-fluff the crossbow, or we might do something entirely new. All of them are good ideas and worth exploring.
Gunslingers don't have to be Artificers. I am running a Warlock (Hexblade) Arcane Gunslinger. With Eldritch Blast, Agonizing Blast, and Maddening Hex, he packs quite a punch. His range is not as good as a Longbow or Heavy Crossbow, and someone with an Archery Specialization has a better to hit.

A gunfighter could potentially be a fighter specialized in firearms. You could use the archery fighting style and or Crossbow Expert Feat, maybe a new tool skill - gunsmithing.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:20 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
As far as the actual weapon is concerned, I was drawing a lot of inspiration from the caster gun in the anime “Outlaw Star”. It is a gun that shoots different spells from cartridges created by wizards. Different shells have different effects and are numbered by their effects ex. #3 shell shoots a basic high velocity bolt of mana, #10 shoots lightning in a 60 ft line, etc.

The concept of the character was someone who was the daughter of an Artificer designing the “next generation” of blasting rods that shot farther and could create different effects based on what ammo you put in it besides if being a one trick pony. The powers that he found out about it and wanted it. Artificer sent his daughter with the prototype and his research away when the baddies came then got killed when he wouldn’t tell him where it went. Better nobody have it than it being used against them sort of thing. Daughter wants revenge for dad dying and joins the rebels to take down the people who did it.

Of course this will all be polished up for the app, but this is what I can throw down on my break.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:30 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
After looking over the newer Artificer presented by Purplerook, I think it can be applied to fit my character concept. Flavorwise, I could use a heavy crossbow as the mechanics but physically it would look like a rifle in the pic above. The Arcane weapon spell can be used to represent the different types of ammo used.

On a separate note, will you be using the additional rules for tools presented in Xanther’s guide?