User Statistics
RPXP: 5335
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
right-aligned image

Name: Willow the worthless wizard AKA Weeping Willow

Race: Human Male

Class: Wizard Illusionist

Background: Sage

Traits: I am tolerant of other races and faiths. I always expect the worst so I am never disappointed, but occasionally surprised.

Ideal: I will never give up no matter how often I fail

Bond: I am obligated to help fellow wizards when they ask for it.

Flaws: I am an alcoholic

Appearance: I am a disheveled forty year old gentlemen with a unkempt beard, shabby robes, an eye patch, and I don’t bathe too often, so I’m often covered in dirt. My hair hasn’t been cut in some time, and my clothes need washing.

Personality: I am a very gloomy and depressed downtrodden individual with low self-esteem. I always expect the worst and I am rarely disappointed. My failures weigh heavily on my and I try to drink my despair away which is where I spend most of my gold. I am not judgmental of others, because who am I to judge, so I can tolerate a lot of questionable behavior from others. Despite all of this, I keep trying and never give up.

Backstory:

RP Sample:

Last edited by Togot; 10-05-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:39 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 139
The Dark Star The Dark Star
Aldo Durinson
Race: Half-Orc
Class: Paladin

Background: Folk Hero
Trait: If someone is in trouble, I'm always ready to lend help. I have a strong sense of fair play and always try to find the most equitable solution to arguments.
Bond: I protect those who cannot protect themselves. My parents were killed, and I seek justice to those involved in their deaths.
Ideal: Sincerity - There's no good in pretending to be something I am not.
Flaw: I can't keep secrets to save my life, or anyone else's.

Appearance: Aldo is 6'2" with a muscular build from his earlier works in the mines, he has a strong build, muscled, bulky and brutish. He has dark green skin, his arms stained black from the years he spent mining coal. His face is a mix of human and orc, his jaw is wide and strong, his other facial features are sharp and he has dark brown eyes. The half-orc has long jet black hair that is tightly wrapped into a bun. His teeth protrude from his mouth and he has the orcish feature of his canines from the bottom of his teeth reaching almost to his nose. He wears loose, open clothing, showing his hairy, muscular chest and arms, he also has a number of tribal markings tattooed onto his arms, which are of his and his father's god, Soiryk.

Personality: He is a kind soul, with only the best intentions for those that he is around. He is honest, polite, educated, obedient and disciplined, all instilled to him from his parents at an early age. When he senses that someone is in trouble, he will act and assert himself to get in between the two parties. When in conflict, he hopes that he can talk his way out of a fight, but is also ready to protect himself and the defendant, if need be. But his honesty can often land him in trouble, especially when secrets are involved, no matter how hard he tries, it always seems to come out. He will often turn his head the other way if it is, allowing others to hear it instead and just keep him out of it altogether.

Backstory: Born in one of the harshest areas called Flussige Berge, a dangerous, mountainous area, filled with small villages next to mines where they excavate coal to feed the hunger of the cities throughout the dukedom. In one of these villages, named Underton, Aldo was raised working within such a mine. He was respected in the mines because he helped the others when he could, using his strength to carry heavy loads that others couldn't and kept their spirits up with his work ethic and banter. His father was a foreman, one of the highest positions within the village, only the pit boss was higher, and he was getting old, and his father seemed the logical choice. The two butted heads all the time, Aldo's father wanting change for the miners, to give them a better quality of life, while the old pit boss wanted to keep things as it was. His mother was a simple miner like Aldo, a defector of the orcs that also lived in the mountains.

One day, an explosion happened in the mines, both of his parents were killed in the blast. It was ruled by the pit boss as an accident, but many of the people thought that it was in fact an act of murder by the hands of the pit boss' most loyal of men. The people of Underton didn't wish Aldo the same fate and smuggled him off to Handelsnabe, where his father had relatives there. They were fishermen and welcomed him in, there he lives now, fishing and doing odd jobs to help them out for allowing him to live with them. But his goal came to him when he met the Wache, learned of their deeds and what they stood for. He imagined that if he could become one of them, he could take them to his home and get the justice for his parents that they deserved, maybe even create a branch of the Wache that would monitor the activities and safety of the people in the mines. If he were to get the chance, that is what he would strive for.

RP Sample: Aldo walked along the streets of Handelsnabe with two bags full of food, it had good day, he had been able to get enough work doing odd jobs to pay for his food for tonight and tomorrow. He even had enough to hand out a few silver pieces to the homeless that were begging on the streets. Suddenly, he heard a cry for help, he rushed over to where it had come from and saw his old drinking buddy and friend, Rathok Salazar, a Tiefling, who's parents had recently disappeared, it seemed he had taking it as well as he was now holding a knife to a woman's throat.

"Rathok! Are you high!? Stop this right now before you do something you'll regret for the rest of your life. Come on, it's me, put the knife down, I can help you!" He said to Rathok, he stepped closer and closer with every word, he doesn't look alright, I don't know if he's even listening to me, I have to act quickly, get her out of his grip. He thought as he came closer yo the two, when he got to a couple feet he moved. Aldo threw one of his bags at the two. Rathko took his blade hand to block it, as the food fell to the floor he was met with the huge fist of the half-orcs. His grip loosened and Aldo tossed the girl to the side before tackling Rathok. "Call for the authorities!" He yelled to the woman as he wrestled the tiefling, who didn't say a word. Who did this to you old friend? What could you have taken to make you act this way? He asked himself, as he waited for the proper authorities to take over and hopefully find out what made him act this way.

Last edited by The Dark Star; 10-09-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:36 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 846
Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath
Very interesting! When do you close applications?
Old 10-07-2019, 06:17 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 542
Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager Drager
I'm going to set the deadline for 2 weeks from now. So 21st October.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:02 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 139
The Dark Star The Dark Star
Ok first draft done with Aldo, please let me know if you have any questions!
Old 10-07-2019, 10:12 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 803
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83
Application
right-aligned image
Name: Warner Baumann

Race: V. Human

Class: Rogue

Background: Urchin

Trait: I bluntly say what other people are hinting at or hiding.

Bond: My town or city is my home, and I'll fight to defend it.

Ideal: People. I help the people who help me-that's what keeps us alive. (Neutral)

Flaw: It's not stealing if I need it more than someone else.

Appearance: Standing just under six feet, Warner carries a slim but well toned frame at roughly 190 lbs. His tanned skin is covered in battle scars and burns. Evidence of a life lived the hard way. His cool brown eyes match his his short wavy brown hair. He prefers to wear leather armor, accessorized by long leather gloves and tall leather boots. As much as he can appreciate being stylish, his hidden motive is to cover the scars on his hands and forearms.

Personality: Despite living a life full of trials and tribulations, Warner considers himself an optimist. He's spent most nights with a roof over his head with some sort of food on his stomach. Who is he to complain if that roof is leaking or if the food is stale? It's still more than so many others have had. Warner has never been one to take a hand out. Unfortunately, that means that he's had to take a few questionable jobs in order to earn his keep. Nothing too dastardly of course, it's not like he was a murderer for hire. Instead he limited his services to things like petty theft, lookout duty, breaking in to places, or lockpicking chests. Around the age of 12, he became obsessed with the Wache. He could sit in a tavern listening to their stories for hours. He's always known that this would be his path to retribution and to glory.

Backstory: Warner was born in Handelsnabe to a loving mother and father. His father (Paul) was a sailor by trade and his mother (Martha) was a tavern winch. When Warner was 8 years old, he was returning home with his parent's from his mother's tavern. They were jumped by a group of bandits that had apparently known that his father had just been given his wages for a large fishing haul that lasted several weeks. Despite the couple fighting valiantly, they were killed by the masked cowards and Warner was stabbed in the stomach and left for dead.

A few men of the Wache found the family and managed to save the boy. Unfortunately, his mother and father's wounds were far more severe and they had already passed on. After spending about six months in an orphanage, Warner ran away. He spent the next ten years on the streets. During that time, he was forced to learn how to survive by any means possible. Thankfully, Otto (the Tavern Keeper that Warner's mother worked for) was generous enough to let the boy have food that would have otherwise been thrown out. In return, he only asked that the boy help around the tavern. He even pretended not to notice when the boy would swallow down the occasional remains of an unfinished mug of ale.

RP Sample: "We can split the profits four ways.. and I'll be your key man. That means I'll get us in and open any containers.." "I KNOW what a key man is.." Kurt responded in hushed annoyance, looking around to see if anyone was listening. The group was sitting at a corner table in an otherwise fairly empty tavern. Seeing the look on the man's face, Warner followed up "No worries, this is Otto's place. He's like a second father to me. He make's sure that nobody interferer's with my business and in return I make sure that he gets a cut of my profit. Now...back to the job. I'm telling you, that old wizard stays gone from morning to evening every day. Easy pickings..."

Thanks to Warner, gaining entrance into the old wizard's house was easy. However, after taking only a few steps into the wizards study, a glyph was mistakenly activated and a stone golem brought to life as a result. The dwarf was the closest and, as a result, he took a nasty hit from the stone guardian but his shield absorbed most of the damage. Warner reacted quickly, releasing an arrow into the golems torso. His attack was answered with rapid melee strikes from Kurt's short sword and the dwarf's mace. From the back, the tiefling girl blasted it with magic misslearcane energy, and the creature slumped forward.. lifeless again. "Phew! That could have gone a lot worse! You all fight quite well! Although, I must insist on taking the lead from here. I'd hate for anyone to stumble into anymore traps.. " With that, Warner gave the dwarf a wink and laughed...

Last edited by Treble83; 10-09-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:58 AM
DINOSAUR-VIKING?!1

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 416
Berzerkersaurus Berzerkersaurus Berzerkersaurus Berzerkersaurus Berzerkersaurus
I too was working on a human rogue before Treble posted Warner, so apologies for the double up of the Rogue/Urchin character. I don't personally have any experience with 5e, but reading the write up got the ol' juices flowing and I had to submit a character. So if you're willing to take on someone new to the system, lemme present my submission. I can work on finding a picture if you need it.

ApplicationName: Felix Unger
Race: Human
Class: Rogue
Background: Urchin
Trait: I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let my emotions control me. I am incredibly slow to trust. Those who seem the fairest often have the most to hide. (Both from the Criminal background)
Bond: I owe a debt I can never repay to the person who took pity on me.
Ideal: I help the people who help me-that's what keeps us alive. (Neutral)
Flaw: When I see something valuable, I can't think about anything but how to steal it. (From Criminal background)
Appearance: Felix is a young man of only 16, but a hard life makes him seem a little more world-weary than that. With brown eyes and mousy brown hair, the only thing that truly stands out about Felix is his whippet-lean build. Standing at 5 feet 10 inches he’s neither tall not short. He wears nondescript brown leather armour over the top of a shirt that had originally been a blue colour that has now faded to some kind of grey.
Personality: Always the smaller child, long ago Felix forsook the childhood dreams of his body filling out. That speed became his advantage getting through the city. A childhood raised on the streets, Felix has leant into his average appearance and tries incredibly hard not to stand out in a crowd. Not content to live a life as a beggar or pickpocket, Felix has grander plans to raise himself out of the gutter as a burglar.

Backstory:
Felix was born in Handelsnabe to a prostitute and one of any number of men. Like all fatherless bastards, Felix has cursed whoever the gutless coward to the realm of Soiryk for not stepping up to be the man he needed. The handful of men who followed, with only one real intention in mind, have given Felix a rather jaded outlook on the words and actions of men. Hollow words or the back of a hand is what Felix grew up with as a father figure. On the flipside, there is a sense of community and belonging behind the walls of a whorehouse for one who is raised with plenty of “Aunties”. As such Felix is slow to trust men who present themselves friendly or doting manner. He willingly defines himself against the standard of men he has experienced in his life.

Felix has been trying to lift himself, as well as his mother, from their lowly station by committing burglary. His planning has been meticulous. The execution has been flawless. His luck has been horrendous. Twice now he has been caught red-handed – the most recent of which, he was making a clean get away when he turned a corner and bumped into a member of the Wache. A gold bracelet from his take fell to the ground, sparking the keen interest of the guard. The ensuing foot chase resulted in his arrest. In order to escape some heavy corporal punishment, Felix accepted an offer to join the watch and bolster their numbers.

RP Sample:
I’m the most unlucky thief in the world. That was the thought constantly running through Felix’s head as he sat in the Wache lockup. Everything had gone according to plan. Felix knew that the family of Otto Nolte was away for an extended holiday to the capital, leaving only a skeleton crew of serving staff. Felix had stalked the patterns of work of the staff and knew the best time to be raiding the personal quarters of the family was late afternoon, while staff were preparing the evening meal. He had made clear his escape only to round a corner a bump straight into the shoulder of a member of the Wache.

Watch Sargeant Grimes had encountered young Felix in the past, he knew his background. Hell, he knew the boy’s mother personally, had even tumbled with her both before and after the boy was born. He was reasonably sure the boy wasn’t his, but his mother was the stereotypical whore-with-a-heart-of-gold and he had a soft spot for what was a pretty good kid in a pretty bad environment. Having said that, he was going to turn the screws on the kid before he gave him a way out of the predicament.

"Felix, what was it that I said would happen if you ever graced my cells again?" Sargeant Grimes asked the rather despondent Felix.

"Y-you told me that you’ve have my thumbs Sargeant Grimes." Felix replied as politely as he possiblly could.

"That’s right boyo. I even introduced you to Thumbelina." Sargeant Grimes was referring the rather primitive guillotine-like device that, in times long gone, had been used to cut the thumbs off thieves. Sergeant Grimes had affectionately dubbed it Thumbelina when playing this game. The sergeant had hoped that it might of scared the young boy straight, it obviously hadn’t worked.

"Please, Sargeant! Anything! I would do anything, please don’t cut off my thumbs!" Felix pleaded. His mind was racing, the last time he stood in these cells, he was so sure that the sergeant was bluffing. But now, now he wasn’t so confident – Thumbelina had definitely looked well used.

He mightn’t have been able to scare him on the straight and narrow, but the sergeant had the young man exactly where he wanted him. "Anything you say?" He scratched a stubbly jaw for affect. [say]I reckon I could talk the captain out of using Thumbelina, but you’re going to need to sign up for the Wache. The Duke needs men. Good, capable young men like yourself are a bonus![say] Sergeant Grimes gave the startled Felix a whack on the shoulder.

"The Wache?" Those two words was all Felix could get out. He had never considered joining the Wache. No self-respecting kid of street would. He may never achieve the grandeur of his dreams being in the Wache. But corporal punishment was looking to be a far worse fate.

"That’s right lad. You’ll do your mum proud putting on the uniform."

Last edited by Berzerkersaurus; 10-08-2019 at 07:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-08-2019, 08:58 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
No problem with new players, feel free to post apps.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:01 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 811
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
"Self-respecting kid of street?" I feel old, not keeping up with the current slang. Sigh.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Just a bit of information on how I intend to decide which apps get in, so you can tweak stuff if you need to. Essentially I'm going to score them and take the top 5, maybe 6.

Scores will be as follows and will be mostly based on my preferences, but you won't be hurt by following good writing standards:

Sticking Entirely Within the Guidelines: 10 pts
Writing Quality (Backstory): 0-10 pts
Writing Quality (RP): 0-10 pts
Character Concept: 0-10 pts
Appropriateness to the world/party: 0-10 pts

Haven't seen anything sub 30 yet at first glance. No matter how good your app is there will be no more than 2 Foreigners maximum. You may have also noticed that I didn't limit it to a good party balance (and I won't) so if I have 5 absolutely out of the park applications for Rogues they are going to be a stealthy party. Obviously that is unlikely, but I think that you should be fine with any class mix, especially as you are starting with the support of a government agency.

Last edited by Drager; 10-08-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:18 PM
TRIGUY

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 454
Rweasel Rweasel Rweasel Rweasel Rweasel
Just so you are aware. You have me listed in the application chart 2 times.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:43 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks, took one out. Loving the quality we've got so far.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:17 AM
Watcher of the Myst

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 916
mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch mystwatch
Would multiclassing be all right, even if it's later on or something? Not really a deal-breaker though, just thinking of things...

I shall swear no oaths, but I will be here, and if I cannot, I shall tell you.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:36 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Yeah, you can't multiclass at level 1, but when you level up you can do whatever you like.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:20 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1385
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
Throwing in a WIP application. I'll keep working at it throughout the day and get it finished when I get home from work.

Application
right-aligned image

Name: Tallion Ashworthy
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Warlock (Archfey)

Background: Haunted One
Trait: I put no trust in divine beings.
I don't share my thoughts with others anymore, my mind is a muddled place that scares people away.
Bond: I keep my thoughts in a journal in the form of words and drawings, one day somebody might actually see sense in my ramblings because of it.
Ideal: I want to make sad people smile again, just like he did for me.
Flaw: I see and hear things that nobody else does, and it scares me.

Appearance: Tallion could be a good looking young man, if not for his unkempt dark hair, the haunted look in his dark eyes that his easygoing smile is never able to fully hide, and the dark circles that show the world how little he sleeps. His tanned skin shows that his Elvish half is that of a Wood Elf. His body is almost completely covered in mystical white markings that go all the way from foot to neck. The only markings on his face and head are underneath his left eye. Despite never making an attempt to hide the markings, Tallion almost always dresses in layers and sleeves, claiming that he gets cold easily, but everyone knows the truth, that it makes him feel less vulnerable. He gets his height from his human side, standing at about 5' 9" with a slightly too skinny build that's hidden by baggy clothing.

Personality:

Backstory: Write no more than 2 paragraphs and try to answer the following questions (in the prose, not as bullet points)
Where are you from?
Are you from Handelsnabe?
Are you from a different town in the Dukedom?
Are you from somewhere else in Aldan?
Are you a foreigner?
Do you have family in the area?
What event most shaped your personality?
Why do you want to join the Wache?

RP Sample: Write no more than 2 paragraphs showing an interaction between your character and a key character from their past. At least 3/4s of the text must be from your character's point of view and you must include at least one line of dialogue and one thought from your character.