User Statistics
RPXP: 93
OsirisRising
On Crimson Wings

Ad is closed

) Game Name (On Crimson Wings

) Game System (Pathfinder

) Theme (cooperation, hard choices

) Flavour (fantasy, trading, exploration, mercenary jobs with a flying ship on a desert planet

) Plot Summary (The Crimson Wings is your home, your ship and your tool for making a living.

On Akiton, the deserts are quite forbidding, and you need water and food, and you want to see the world. If you didn't, you would have a more stable and more boring profession.

Ah, the Crimson Wings can fly. Well, Akiton is a desert planet, and traditional ships floating on water are useless. There is a Flight Core inside, which is a contraption both mundane and arcane, and that's the thing that keeps her floating in the air. You'll need regular amounts of lead to keep the Core running, and someone to tinker with it to keep the floating smooth and steady. Otherwise, it's a rather usual sailing ship, with one mast, and anchor, a deck, a bow, a stern, a keel, the works. But it does not have a waterline.

So, you discuss where to go, what to buy and sell, and what other quests to take, and keep her afloat, visit places, people and excitement.

I didn't decide on any plot, even vaguely, but if the player group gets interested in something, I'll be happy to roll with the blow

) Application and Chargen (
  • In your application I'd like to see how the character ended up as a crewmember of a flying merchant / mercenary ship on Akiton together with their role on the ship, and the character's personality, complete with their motivations.
  • I'm looking for 4-6 players
  • I'd like 3-4 posts a week
  • I'll choose characters on the 13th.
  • Races: Human, Shobhad, Ysoki, Lizardfolk, Elf, Half-elf, (Android???), possibly others but ask the GM
  • Classes: Spheres of Power, Spheres of Might, others that can't cast spells, including gunslinger (I'd like to see SoP and SoM in action)
  • Starting Level: 1
  • Ability Scores: 20 point-buy
  • Hp: roll your Hit Dice, then average it with the maximum that could be rolled, round down
  • Gear: no magic items to start with, and probably can buy only rather common potions and salves, you"ll have to find everything else, firearms: up to advanced, but they still need to look like fantasy equipment
  • 2 traits, no drawbacks

Player Name Race Class Status
Amarga Balak Qalat Human Blacksmith (Iron Chef) Ready
mobby George Barker Ysoki Technician Ready
Keante Khux Lizardfolk SoP caster WiP
mightymconeshot Vashk the Blade Lizardfolk Armiger Ready
danab Joscelyn Brooke Human Soul Weaver Ready
ShadowcatX Adoramus Te Tiefling Incanter (Mage) Ready
Seasons End Salazar Kalitove Shobhad Geomancer Ready
Kshnik Jigjag Shobhad Mage Knight Ready
AlphaZ Regan Fare Human Ranger (Apex Predator) Ready
bookworm Rana Flanne Half-Elf Conscript Ready
Dratoul Janxir Mung Human Gunslinger WiP

Last edited by OsirisRising; 10-14-2019 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:39 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9653
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
What would we need to maintain the core? Any checks or is it done automatically? Or is it beyond us and requires high level powers?
Old 10-02-2019, 07:51 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OsirisRising
Anyone with the Use Magic Device skill. And regular skill checks to keep it 'tuned', whatever that means. The ship won't crash because of a failed roll, but negative modifiers for maneuvering will be in effect until the next successful maintenance check.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:54 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OsirisRising
I'm also in the process of making up a simple system for groups disposition towards PCs and probably the crew as it is.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:42 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 105
ImperialProphet ImperialProphet
Aaaaaaah!
Finally, a 3pp game, I am so stoked. I think I'll be rolling one of the new Prodigy archetypes if Champions of the Spheres is allowed. (The archetypes I'm considering make it a Spheres of Might character, but the Prodigy itself is a CoS class)
Old 10-02-2019, 09:09 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OsirisRising
Well, I do have the book, but never read it. I'll have to remedy that.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:51 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
mobby
Hey, greetings!

This looks really cool. Are you rolling classes from Starfinder, such as Mechanic ? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm very new here.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:16 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OsirisRising
It was not a stupid question, as I didn't mention the main part of the game's flavor: fantasy. So, no Starfinder stuff here.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:37 AM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 148
Amarga Amarga

Finished up I think, let me know if I missed anything
ApplicationName: Balak Qalat
Race: Human
Class: Blacksmith (Iron chef)
Description: Balak is a jolly giant of a man. His skin is deeply tanned from years of traveling in the sun, his head is kept bald, and he wears no beard. Balak loves to laugh, and finds just about everything funny, although one should be cautious with those laughs, as he laughs even at threats and insults, and it can be hard to tell what his array of different laughs mean.
Along with this he takes a protective role over his companions, seeing that everyone eats and laughs well, which he considers to be the best things in life. Balak believes that anyone can be won over with a good enough and big enough meal, and refuses to write someone off until he’s been able to feed them numerous well-cooked meals. Balak enjoys these struggles, and whether he is swinging a hammer in the heat of battle, trying to win over a stubborn wrong-doer, or attempting to conquer a new ingredient or recipe, his face tends to crack into a broad grin, often followed by a bout of delighted laughter.
Background: Balak grew up on the planet, living among the caravans. For him life was good, he was eager to see the sights, falling in love with the rolling waves of sand and sun. His one complaint was the food, more often than not the people he travelled with stuck to poorly prepared road rations, awful stuff as far as he was concerned. Being a growing youth with a prestigious build, Balak found himself eating a lot, so he made a decision, he would learn to cook on the road, he would take the meats and scant greenery of the red plains and from them become a chef like none other. With this in mind he began learning, it was a rough start, his family seemed skeptical about his ambitions, but he worked hard, taking on extra responsibilities for extra coin, and managed to gather a decent amount of supplies. Over the years he got better, and the once skeptical caravan members soon started begging for more. Balak also became stronger, and as time passed he was pulling double duty, protecting the caravan from harm with his hammer, and defending it from hunger with his cooking. Eventually the day came where he decided that the routes the caravan took was no longer sufficient for his growing ambition, the once childish dream of good food expanding to a grand ambition of beautiful restaurants scattered across the surface of the red sands. So he took on jobs with other traders, acting as chef and guard on those treks, eventually he built up a reputation and no small amount of skill. So when Balak saw that a flying ship of all things,by the name of the Crimson Wings, was looking for crewmembers, he eagerly signed on, hoping to gain experience and money, all in the hopes of building his first restaurant.
Why he joined: Balak is welcoming of everyone, and the strange things people seemed to think about Antor did little to dissuade the cook. Instead Balak saw it as a chance to introduce an interesting new person to his dishes. Along with this Balak hadn't served on a flying ship before, seeing it as a grand new experience, and a chance to expand his culinary knowledge.

Last edited by Amarga; 10-13-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:34 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
mobby
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisRising View Post
It was not a stupid question, as I didn't mention the main part of the game's flavor: fantasy. So, no Starfinder stuff here.
no worries !!!

here's an edited application. i think i will go for a technician.

Name: George ‘Limpy’ Barker
Race: Ysoki
Class: Technician
Ship Role: Maintenance

Background:
Eldest son of an impoverished Ysoki shipbuilder, George’s childhood was defined by frequent close calls with Maro's law enforcement. Between shifts begrudgingly helping his father in the shipyard, George pursued what he considered the true family trade to be: petty thievery. That all changed one fateful night when Sylvia, George’s baby sister, got caught up in a burglary gone wrong. George lost his leg in the accident & his sister lost her freedom. His father built a prosthetic leg for George & cast him out of the house. The leg remains as a constant reminder of George's misstep. He has done his best to use the mechanical skills he learned from his father to improve upon the leg.

George met Hemmin the night he left home. Heartbroken and lost, the poor rat happened upon one of Hemmin's advertisements hung up outside a slaver's den. He had just discovered his sister had been sold to an anonymous buyer. Everything clicked for little Georgie Barker when he saw that ad: he could use the skills he learned from his father to land a job aboard the Crimson Wings. He could find his sister by air and bring her back home.

Personality: ‘Limpy’ Barker, as his friends call him, is a fast-talking wise-cracker who carries a deep sadness within.

Motivations: Georgie considers himself fully responsible for his sister’s circumstances, assuming she’s even still alive. He has vowed to find her. Life aboard The Crimson Wings is a means to that end.

Last edited by mobby; 10-09-2019 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:37 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OsirisRising
@ImperialProphet
Champions of the Spheres is OK

@Amarga
Although I like the personality of Balak, I'm wondering how a blacksmith can function on a ship. It's unlikely you can have a smithy with that hot a fire on board. But, if you are content with the class abilities, it's fine with me.
What is his role on the ship?

@mobby
This swashbuckler?
What is George's role on the ship?

Last edited by OsirisRising; 10-03-2019 at 03:38 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:01 AM
Guac Chief

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 148
Amarga Amarga
@Osirisrising I'll mostly be focusing on the iron chef archetype, pulling duty as a provider of meals for the crew, the only hot fire needed is that spice

Edit: That and most adjustments, repairs and improvements can be done without a fully fledged forge. As long as I have an anvil (or another suitably solid surface), and a few other supplies I can pull my weight, the only thing that'll really be off limits is the forging of new equipment.

Last edited by Amarga; 10-03-2019 at 04:09 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:05 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
mobby
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisRising View Post
@mobby
This swashbuckler?
What is George's role on the ship?
yes, that swashbuckler !! is that alright ?

i think Georgie's roll on the ship would depend upon who else is aboard. If it's a crowded ship full of high-level players, he probably gets pushed around a lot. He probably does manual labor & other jobs nobody wants to do.

if it's a smaller more modest crew, Georgie is probably either muscle, a burglar (in a The Hobbit sense), or perhaps even a 1st or 2nd mate.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:29 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OsirisRising
Yeah, that swashbuckler is alright. Have you considered any Sphere of Might classes?

Small ship, small crew. I think only the players will be the crew, maybe one or two others if necessary.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:17 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
mobby
i've never played with Spheres of Might before, so i hadn't thought about it too hard. i'm always down to try something new, though !!! i would totally try it as long as you promise to help me along when i don't understand the rules,

just looking, i could very easily imagine Georgie as a technician (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-...es/technician/). before you mentioned you're going for a fantasy flavor i was imagining a rat-person mechanic aboard the ship. i had no idea Technician existed & it looks wicked fun. i'd just have to change around a few things in his backstory.