twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-03-2019, 07:01 AM
...go on.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 797
Keante Keante Keante Keante Keante Keante Keante
It's great to see a game using Spheres! I'm going to work on a character.

As a side note, I recommend the Spheres of Power wiki as an online resource for Spheres of Power/Spheres of Might/Champions of the Spheres. I like the way it's organized better than those sections of d20PFSRD.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:52 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 93
OsirisRising
@mobby
It's not compulsory, I just had the feeling you don't know about the Spheres systems, that's why I asked.

@Keante
Yep, Spheres rock! Can I hope it's going to be a SoP caster?
The front page of that wiki is brilliant, really better than d20pfsrd, I agree.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:13 AM
...go on.

Tools
User Statistics
@OsirisRising
Yeah, I'll do a SoP caster--most likely Incanter or Hedgewitch, though there's a chance I'll land on some thematic archetype for another class (and I'm not sure yet what theme I'm going for...possibly wind?).

Keante's Application
left-aligned image

Name: Khux
Race: Lizardfolk
Class: Symbiat (Telekinetic Warrior)
Ship Role:
Background:
Personality:
Motivations:

Last edited by Keante; 10-04-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:57 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9653
mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot mightymconeshot
left-aligned image
Name: Vashk the Blade
Race: Lizardfolk
Class: Armiger 1
Ship Role: Guard, Hunter, and Trainer

Description: Standing at a towering 7 feet, over most humans he towers a full head if not more. A face full of pointed teeth and a scaled ridges have ensured he was greeted more than once at spear point. A light tan, his armored scales turn to a darker light tree trunk brown on his back. Scars from a decade of living by the sword cross his body from close calls, training accidents, and just regular old mistakes. He spends his day training with sword, axe, bow, and body for you never know which weapon you will find yourself with. Ribbons, straps, teeth, and bone decorate his armor, clothes, and weapons and all have a story or grunt that accompanies them depending on how much he feels like sharing than. Despite the soft clatter and clinking that accompany while he moves, they can all be silenced with seconds if needed such is his cleverness.

Personality:A quiet man, he observes the world with quiet watch. Unlike most of his people, he does not have the isolationist ideas of them. He still does not believe that elves and humans are all that trustworthy, but finds that adventurers are usually cut from a different cloth than those that settle near lizardfolk lands. He still struggles with the common tongue and often speaks in a manner as if asking for clarification. When he finds those who can manage his native tongue, he is often greatly amused and cordial to them often sharing stories of his people and travels.

Due to his blood, he finds the weather of Akiton most wonderful. Often time he can be found on the upper deck laying lazily in the sun and enjoying the passing time. He often spars with imaginary opponents using any weapon including his own body.

Background:Born in the Expanse, Vashk was a warrior of his people. Tribal and isolated, much of his early lizardhood was spent in the traditional manners. Learning to hunt, the various wildlife, the stories and backgrounds of his people. He skimirshed with the various other tribes, children and wildlife before he was deemed worthy of the title hunter. Joining the rovering bands, disaster struck. The region experienced one of its heavy rainstorms that sweep through seasonally. A river rose and even the near legendary swimming ability of the couldn't save him. He was swept into ruined buildings crawling up through the jungle. Crawling from the river, he dragged himself up into higher ground looking for supplies and shelter. Inside he found a red stone and upon touching it he found himself in a red tinged world with the wind whipping at his clothes. Looking around, he knew he was somewhere new. Grabbing a rock, he started the hunt.

He traveled for moons wandering through the sands and rocky wastelands. He fell in love with the radiant heat and enjoyed basking in the afternoon air. He scavenged what he needed, an old branch from a long lost tree, a set of ribs from some small animal that didn't survive. The air was thinner and he found his scent was less reliable, but it just added to the challenge. Eventually he found a small caravan path and took a random path. He wandered into town a week later and gathered some supplies trading the items he had scavenged. Several moons passed before he ended up at the city of Maro. Seeing the man on the side of the road, he watched the other travelers move around him in a wide circle as the man tried to entice travelers to join him. Most just looked like farmers or basic craftsmen. The few that carried weapons were already with a merchant and he knew from his time that a mercenary was his word. No one would hire them again if they had a reputation for leaving early. Crossing the road, he approached the man and asked him what he was recruiting for. Having a chance to move across the world in the air seemed like a new novel experience. Agreeing to the terms, he hefted his weapons in defense of a new master.

Character Sample: Looking up from his bowl in the dim campfire light, he runs a finger around the edge to get the last of his gruel. It had been a tough week and the oats had not last long. This was his last meal and tomorrow all he would have is an empty water bottle and his spear. Enjoying the evening heat, he raised his head up to absorb more of it for a few seconds while he contemplated his next move. The nearest habitat was at least a week away by foot but without water he wouldn't last two days. The hunger would hurt, but it could wait. It wasn't the killer that dehydration was. He needed to find a source of water. The normal plant sap that he had been surviving off had run off. He hadn't seen any vegetation for at least 6 hours. He could head back, but it would be 6 and he had harvested all of the plants on his path. He would have to widen his search area and it would only be a matter of time until he ran out of plants. At which point he would be lost in the desert and without any supplies. Snorting out a blast of sand from his nostrils, his eyes suddenly snapped open as he heard a pile of sand shift off in the dark. Without moving, he started to scan the surrounding darkness as his hand inched towards his spear. Another shift off in front of him as the whatever slowly circled the fire. He knew that attack was to be sudden, but if he moved it would charge. Holding his pose, he waited for the clue that it decided he was a threat. And there it was. The deafening silence as it decided to attack. The very air seemed to grow still as a sudden snarl and a face of teeth blasted from the darkness at him. Rolling sideways through the sand, he felt his hand grab the spear shaft as burning pain ripped across his arm as it clawed him. Spinning to his feet in a burst of sand, he thrust forward blindly and was rewarded with a howl of pain as he scratched it.

Quiet descended again as the two of them faced off. It was a small wild cat. In his native lands it would have been called a panther. A young one, no more than 5 or 6 months, but old enough to hunt. Here, he didn't know its name. The two slowly shifted around the fire as both dripped blood. He had no chance of running away from it and it was obviously hungry. Stabbing at it, he watched it jump away quickly but it still refused to leave. Baring his teeth at it, it hissed back at him. Moving behind the fire, he jabbed a log at it before circling again. Now it had a choice. Charge or get hemmed in by the logs. It was an easy choice for the beast and with a sudden hiss, it leapt at him. Diving back, he thrust up and felt the spear quake as its body slammed onto it. It struggled once before collapsing. Rolling it off of him, he set to work. It represented not just food, but a chance at life. Grabbing his water gourd, he watched the blood slowly drip into the open lid. Licking his lips at the sudden liquid, he had a chance to survive again. Praising the animal spirits, the the fire crackled and slowly burned down.

Last edited by mightymconeshot; 10-09-2019 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:39 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OsirisRising
@Keante
If you go with wind / air, you'll be a great aid to the helmsman in rough weather. But earth, fire, sun, or contrasting them darkness / cold are all well connected to the setting.

@mightsmconeshot
I hope the others will ask about those stories, because I am curious about them.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 105
ImperialProphet ImperialProphet
What are your thoughts on hobgoblins? There's a warband living in the Bandu Hills of Sargava in Garund on Golarion. I was thinking he followed the hills into the Mwangi Expanse and eventually ended up at the Doorway to the Red Star which resulted in his travel to Akiton, akin to John Carter. No worries if that doesn't fit your vision; my backup is a Half Castrovel Elf/Half Red Human of Akiton.

edit: For some reason I mixed up the application deadline with our starting level. A level 1 character isn't going to survive that trek, I'll go with the half-elf.

Last edited by ImperialProphet; 10-03-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:19 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OsirisRising
Why hobgoblin? What appeals to you in one?
Old 10-03-2019, 01:53 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
So, hobgoblins have been my second favorite race after Duergar since my start in 3.0. While I've never been especially keen on the slavery aspect of either race, most everything else about hobs speaks to me, especially in PF. A militant race, created from goblins to fight the elves, quickly maturing, cohesive as a society but paranoid as an individual. They have as good a reason to adventure as any race baked into their society: The caste system, plus the year of hell, means an 'unfit' or angry hob is as likely to screw off and find something better to do as stay and endure that, at least in my opinion. Mechanically, they're phenomenal. Darkvision 60, +2 Dex/Con, and a +4 bonus to stealth that can be replaced with bonuses to diplomacy and intimidate, alchemy and engineering, cmd, just intimidate, spellcraft and a bonus to hit arcane casters, survival and saves vs. disease, bluff and diplomacy and a martial weapon proficiency, or proficiency with the whip and a bonus to trip and disarm with one.

And the literal best part about PF hobgoblins? They change from grey to dark green due to long exposure to sunlight.

Last edited by ImperialProphet; 10-03-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:38 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OsirisRising
Ok, let's see what you can come up with.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:38 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Right on, I'll bang something out by the end of the day. A few more questions:
1. What are your feelings on traditions? Did you just want us using the ones published by DDS, did you have some custom ones in mind, or would you allow us to create our own?
2. Are we using Traits (and Drawbacks)
3. Any chance you'd allow the use of Background Skills?

Last edited by ImperialProphet; 10-03-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:56 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 165
danab danab
This thread caught my eye. I'm pretty unfamiliar with the spheres system, but I'm willing to learn and I have a character idea already brewing. My biggest question is, when I choose a sphere, do I get both the initial abilities listed as core or do I have to choose one?

danab's Application
right-aligned image
Name: Joscelyn Brooke
Race: Human
Class: Soul Weaver
Ship Role: Surgeon

Description: A tall woman with light brown hair and pale eyes, Joscelyn seems cut from an aristocratic mold despite her blood being nothing but common sand. She robes herself as a scholar with loose and comfortable clothing in jewel tones. Deep reds, blues, and greens. One would wonder why she wears such long and draping clothing in the desert, but that's a bit of vanity on her part. She doesn't want others to see Colvectyr's scars.

Personality: Outside of the ship Joscelyn is the very picture confidence and capability. That is sincerely how she hopes others see her. Quick to answer a call, bold in public, and quietly assertive in private. She puts on the brave face each and every day when all she really wants to do is hide away from the terrors that she remembers. Terrors that she knows exist.

She would hide away, but she knows she can't. Her life is inundated by mysteries that she just does not have the resources to solve from her cabin on the ship. The only way forward for her is to confront them. Let's hope she finds someone to help her carry the burden before she collapses under the stress of it...

Background: Born and raised in the city of Maro, Joscelyn and her sister Aquila often sought adventure in the Rift. The cosmopolitan sheers held many secrets for the daring, but none for them. As soon as they were able the twin sorceresses cast themselves on the red winds to find the fame and fortune they'd been denied. They were a formidable pair with their combined command of wind and water. They quickly fell in with others of a like mind with success and riches to spare.

After one year it seemed like nothing could stop them. The hubris set in and disaster was soon to follow.

Their party, the Loess, aka the Dusty Ones, took a commission to investigate an unearthed chamber rife with foul undead of a type no one had ever seen before. Joscelyn, Aquila, and all the rest charged in, heedless of the wards that sealed to ruins behind them. Once they made the discovery, there was no choice but to press on into the clutches of the thing that crafted this trap.

Waiting for them at the center of this web was the bone sage, an undead creature from the planet Eox. What it was doing in the ice fields mattered little as its alien power and technology ripped the Loess to shreds. Cairim, Deak, Nereine, all gone. Just Joscelyn and Aquila were left for his, Colvectyr's, experiments. Joscelyn never knew what he desired, but the twins came to dread the moment when he would regularly tear away chunks of their living essence to feed his science. Then it all came to an abrupt end.

She was found wandering the pole, freezing to death and delusional, by an ice tribe. Taking pity on her, a rare commodity indeed, they nursed her back to health. There were no clues about her escape; fragments of memory. An explosion. Her sister's still corpse. Wailing voices. Motes of light. And the dreams... At night she'd talk to them, the dead (mostly her sister)...

Her magic was also gone, all that power and presence snuffed out. All that was left was the odd ability to conjure positive and negative energy. A poor consolation prize for someone that used to command the very elements themselves. The tribe called her a soul weaver and taught her what little they knew about the body and about the magic. The voices of the dead became more than just voices, souls flocked to her. Inhabited her.

Just as she was starting to feel like she was accomplishing something they'd made it back to Maro. With fragments of her old life calling to her she bid them farewell. It was a fool's hope. She'd been gone too long. Her home and possessions, nearly all the wealth she had, was meted out to others on her presumed death. But how had word traveled faster than her? Was their commission supposed to be a death sentence?

There were too many questions and it was by this point she'd started to notice the masked Phasmarins that followed her everywhere. Never acting, but it was clear they were closing a net. Her only avenue for escape was the Crimson Wings, coincidentally. The rest is history.

Last edited by danab; 10-10-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:06 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@danab
Most spheres grant you all of the initial abilities presented, e.g. Creation gives you Alter (repair and destroy) and Create, Death gives you Ghost Strike and Reanimate, Life gives you Invigorate, Cure, and Restore. Nature, on the other hand, only gives you one geomancing 'package,' like air or earth. There are Sphere-Specific drawbacks acquired through your casting tradition that limit which core abilities you receive. The Death drawback Limited Necromancy gets rid of either Ghost Strike or Reanimate in exchange for a bonus Death talent, while Flesh Artisan removes both of your core abilities for the Corpse Manipulation and Tomb of Flesh talents.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:57 PM
...go on.

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by danab View Post
My biggest question is, when I choose a sphere, do I get both the initial abilities listed as core or do I have to choose one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialProphet View Post
@danab
Most spheres grant you all of the initial abilities presented, e.g. Creation gives you Alter (repair and destroy) and Create, Death gives you Ghost Strike and Reanimate, Life gives you Invigorate, Cure, and Restore. Nature, on the other hand, only gives you one geomancing 'package,' like air or earth. There are Sphere-Specific drawbacks acquired through your casting tradition that limit which core abilities you receive. The Death drawback Limited Necromancy gets rid of either Ghost Strike or Reanimate in exchange for a bonus Death talent, while Flesh Artisan removes both of your core abilities for the Corpse Manipulation and Tomb of Flesh talents.
I second what ImperialProphet said. The sphere's text will tell you if you only get one thing (like choosing a package in Nature in Spheres of Power or choosing a package in Alchemy in Spheres of Might).
Old 10-03-2019, 06:58 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OsirisRising
@ImperialProphet
1. traditions are ok, although the main point of non-Vancian magic is avoiding prepared casting
2. 2 traits are ok, no drawbacks
3. not now, the spheres system is enough for people to learn, I don't want to complicate things with skills, too

@danab
1. When a character gains their first ever talent, they gain another 2 immediately. This is the (+2) in every class's table at first level in the number of talents column.
2. When you choose a talent, you either get the basic abilities for a sphere, or a talent in a sphere if you already have the basic abilities.

Don't yet bother with traditions, they are optional, but as ImperialProphet said, they can modify what basic abilities you get for a sphere.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:22 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OsirisRising
New traditions:

Arcane Caster
Verbal casting: you have to speak audibly
Somatic casting: you have to gesture, so armor heavier than light incurs arcane spell failure
Overcharge: you can gain +2 effective level for a single casting, but you become fatigued -> exhausted -> unconscious.

Divine Caster
Verbal casting: you have to speak audibly
Focus casting: if you don't have your holy symbol, you need to pass a concentration test to cast
Easy focus: maintaining concentration is a move action

Occult Caster
Draining casting: 1-5 points of nonlethal damage per casting
Extra power: +1 spell point, another +1 per 6 levels in casting classes

Warped Caster (my favourite)
Addictive casting: complicated, see the core book.
Taint: after each casting you gain a number of Wyrd points equal to the number of spell points you used. You lose Wyrd at the rate of 1d2 per day. As you accrue Wyrd, your body gets warped more and more visilby. The Inquisition or superstitious common folk might take an interest in purging you.
Overcharge: you can gain +2 effective level for a single casting, but you become fatigued -> exhausted -> unconscious.

Last edited by OsirisRising; 10-03-2019 at 07:51 PM.