RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-04-2019, 05:50 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5068
ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX
Spheres! I've been wanting to play / run spheres classes. I'm definitely going to have to get something in for this. A few questions though:

Are we using the updated spheres stuff from the kickstarter? (Is that stuff even public yet?) What type of firearms are available? Are those the only casting traditions available, or just the most common ones?
Old 10-04-2019, 06:21 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 93
OsirisRising
The Shobhad have long rifles, and the planet description specifically says that it's a gunslinger's haven because of the low gravity and the low drop of projectiles. So, most firearms are available that are in Paizo sources.

I have Spheres of Power, Expanded Options and Champions of the Spheres, but not EO2.

I just made some sample traditions that doesn't have prepared casting, as I think this is one of the main points of non-vancian magic. If you have other ideas for a tradition, tell us about it.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:24 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OsirisRising
By the way, I think the system is actually much simpler than it seems by reading the book, since it's not really great at explaining stuff.

So, any of you who find the system dauntingly complicated, just ask us, we'll help.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:12 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX
Absolutely, it's a wonderful system. I've not got anything planned out yet, I'm going to kick some ideas around in my head.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2943
Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik
Never heard of this until today. Glancing through the various classes the elementalist, or a mageknight, looks interesting. I will see what I can come up with.

I considered Shobhad as a race but 29RP?

If I am reading Mageknight correctly they start with 3 magic talents?
If I use a talent on a sphere; do I get core plus one talent or just core?

Last edited by Kshnik; 10-05-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:33 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 472
Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End
Question on the Nature sphere. Putting a talent into the sphere gives access to one of the packages (air, water, fire, metal, plant). Is Spirit one of those packages? It doesnt seem to offer any benefits except offering access to certain (spirit) modified talents. I just wanted to make sure you actually would need to put a talent into Spirit before gaining access to any spirit defined talents and its not a given thing when you access the nature sphere.

http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/nature
Old 10-05-2019, 11:04 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OsirisRising
@Kshnik
Yeah, I know, Shobhad is 29. I'm considering either adding extra RPs to other races or re-designing Shobhad, but it's iconic to the setting.
Correct, you get 3 talents. If you ever take another SoP class, the (+2) does not apply for that class.
Just core first, then you can spend more to learn talents.

@Seasons_End
No, Spirit is not a package, in the book it's clearly a different subheading than the packages. It just explains what the spirit keyword means.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:11 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Would Tiefling be acceptable as a race? And would the mage archtype (for incanted) be acceptable? It's first party and you can read about it here.

ETA: One more question, is the Rime Spell metamagic ok to add to cold damage destructive blasts?

I'm currently envisioning someone traveling the world trying to learn at different guilds across the planet and prove his or her worth despite (or perhaps because of) their heritage.

Last edited by ShadowcatX; 10-06-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:22 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisRising View Post
@Kshnik
Yeah, I know, Shobhad is 29. I'm considering either adding extra RPs to other races or re-designing Shobhad, but it's iconic to the setting.
Correct, you get 3 talents. If you ever take another SoP class, the (+2) does not apply for that class.
Just core first, then you can spend more to learn talents.

@Seasons_End
No, Spirit is not a package, in the book it's clearly a different subheading than the packages. It just explains what the spirit keyword means.

I personally was considering forgoing ferocity and defensive training, greater to lower the rp by 8, and taking a -2 to an ability to reduce the total rp by 10. Seems better than chopping off an arm (:
Old 10-06-2019, 04:05 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OsirisRising
@ShadowcatX
Mage archerype is ok, Rime Spell feat is ok.
Why tiefling? What is so attractive for you in a tiefling?
Old 10-06-2019, 05:13 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
The racial abilities (for the spheres) and attributes work well for what I'm going for, so does the idea of being an outcast because of race.

Last edited by ShadowcatX; 10-06-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:22 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OsirisRising
I'm ok with tiefling if you go the extra mile and make him strongly desert-themed. No change mechanics-wise, only the fluff.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:48 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I was actually thinking about the opposite, ice themed with the rime spell feat and all, kind of playing against the backdrop rather than with.

Of course, I haven't asked what kind of desert it is, Antarctica is a desert but I'm assuming it's more Dark Sun than Antarctica. But even sandy waste deserts get cold at night.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:32 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowcatX View Post
I was actually thinking about the opposite, ice themed with the rime spell feat and all, kind of playing against the backdrop rather than with.

Of course, I haven't asked what kind of desert it is, Antarctica is a desert but I'm assuming it's more Dark Sun than Antarctica. But even sandy waste deserts get cold at night.
Akiton is a cold and arid desert, with a thin atmosphere and lower gravity than Golarion. It's basically pathfinder Mars. IMO an ice theme works save for the lack of water readily available, though the spheres certainly give the chance to work with it
Old 10-06-2019, 08:38 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OsirisRising
I wasn't talking about the spells or magic he uses, but the character itself, the tieflinf part.

Last edited by OsirisRising; 10-06-2019 at 08:39 PM.