RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 10-04-2019, 05:30 PM
LͫOͤRͫDͤ

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3648
Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus
Iaiyh: The Gatehouse

Game NameIaiyh: The Gatehouse
Game SystemPathfinder
ThemeA few souls are destined to save existence...by destroying what ties it all together.
FlavourMystery, Time-Travel, Magitech, Supernatural
Plot SummaryThe last thing you remember is that you died. You most certainly died. Except something deep inside tells you that this is no afterlife you have awakened to.

The most mysterious and unfathomably powerful being in all of the Superverse of Iaiyh has chosen you, seemingly at random. You find yourself in The Gatehouse -- his realm between realms, the hub of all places and souls and even time. Why?

It's a simple matter. There is something you must do, something that he cannot. Something that this being who can destroy entire pantheons at his whim cannot do...is something you can. Something he cannot tell you.

It's no big deal. If you fail, all of the Superverse -- past, present, and future; natural and supernatual -- will be destroyed. Annihilated. As if it never even existed.

Your new home base? The Gatehouse, home to the Doors which open to all places and times...even ones that were never fully created or long since destroyed. A place seemingly devoid of any rational existence.

Your tools? Nothing more than yourselves and whatever you called your own before death.

Whatever this is, it is certainly not how you planned to spend your Friday night.

About the Game
Take everything confusing about Time Travel, multiverses, the supernatural, and theories of everything...and forget it. Because you'll find bits and pieces of everything here. This game is designed to offer players a chance to put characters through situations completely impossible in any normal campaign...and perhaps completely irrational as well. Yet there is a story here. Every puzzle has an answer, every riddle has a solution. There is a plot...and plot that you, the players, control.

Here's what you need to know about my games:

FIRST:

I create dynamic worlds. Truly dynamic worlds. Like most people with a fully fleshed out homebrew universe, this is the product of years of building it out piece by piece. I know the way it works innately, which gives me the ability to run games set in Iaiyh like I want to do.

Every single action you take has effect. Some effects may be irrelevant, but you cannot speak rudely to a waiter in a random tavern without the chance that it may have cascading effects. You cannot achieve a victory without also creating more problems. You cannot save lives without potentially destroying lives as well. Everything has the chance of becoming relevant...it may remain an isolated action, or it just might reshape the entire plot. I like writing short stories...but I don't want to write a game. I want to simply guide one. The game is created by you, the players. I could run the "same" game a dozen times and each time the choices of the players would result in a different story arc each and every time.

SECOND:

I strongly oppose the concept that there is only one solution to anything. Running can be an option. A lucky punch to the magical lock may frazzle it as successfully as picking it. The entire plot may present different characters and possibilities based off of how you approach the story. I want my players to think outside the box. I love to leave them room to flex their own creative muscles, simply in a universe (or, rather, Superverse) of my creating.

THIRD:

This site has regulations on content that we need to respect. That said, the boundaries of my games are set to the comfort of the players. I personally have no content boundaries. So, what does this mean? This means that if you want to play in my games, **don't be afraid to sometimes push things all the way to the limit.** Darkness applied slovenly is just edgy and cheap...but when used properly it can give depth to a story. There are many less pleasant things that are a part of lives and stories...which means they may possibly be a part of the lives of your characters, and the stories we are telling. That said, temper this with the fact that I dislike things that are needlessly edgy...and that I love humor (including dark humor).

About Me
I have been playing and running games for years. My "full-time" career as a DnD/PF DM began about 4 years ago, although due to my father I had been immersed in the culture my whole life. I've toyed with different systems and see the flaws in each one. Some of my strengths lie in being able to homebrew on the fly as well as adapt to players choices on the fly. I love to take frameworks from various systems and settings and then make them truly belong to myself and the players. On top of that, I love to have fun and try to keep a light-hearted atmosphere with my players (in a OOC sense. In-game can easily get extremely dark).

For me, there are two rules (plus a zeroth rule, but I'm still saying just two. Because reasons).

1) Rule Zero -- This is a game, it exists for fun/amusement/hobbies/etc. Whatever it takes to make it best fulfill that is what I will seek.
2) Rule One -- The Rule of Logic. I have made something of a habit of blending universes. As indicated, Iaiyh is a Superverse in which other universes can exist...this is left open-ended for a reason. The best way I have found to navigate flawed systems and incongruent universes is to simply try to go with what makes the most sense. This Rule of Logic also takes Rule Zero into account.
2) Rule One -- I am the DM. I operate by Rule Zero and Rule One, but ultimately I am the DM. Sometimes I am making a decision that takes things into account you don't know...sometimes I simply know how I DM or what my preferences are. I typically try to explain decisions, but may not depending on the circumstances. I'm a cheerful and friendly DM, so no rules-hammering, but still. I'm the DM.

About the Setting
Here is what you need to know:
Universe:

Meta-Structure, Pantheons, The Supernatural, etc.

Keystone Points to Catch:

1) Magitech is a real thing. I love it.
2) Any setting is valid. Golarion, Eberron, etc. Steampunk, Cyberpunk, High Fantasy, Noir, Modern, Future, etc. Iaiyh is a Superverse, whatever universe/world/plane/etc. you imagine exists therein.
3) Divine Magic isn't a great idea for this story without a ton of special work...which I am unlikely to approve.
4) Gods will play less role than normal, kinda goes with point 3.
5) Your character most likely knows jack diddly about Iaiyh on a superverse scale unless they have a special reason (aka, intense study, contact with Those Who Are, part of a higher-knowledge order, direct revelation, etc.).

Applications and Character Creation
Wew! Finally the part you need most right now. SO....

1) I don't need full character sheets BUT...I do like them. It will almost never affect your acceptance...except in tie-breaking situations. That said, it does help demonstrate that you know what you're doing, and this is a janky campaign.
2) I DO require the following:
>>>A) Name, Age, Gender, Race.
>>>B) Alignment. It's useful, but note: I give zero $#!+s about alignment except as a vaguely guiding factor. Explain to me *why* you are a chaotic monk or a holy necromancer, but don't be afraid to make the choice in the first place.
>>>C) Class. Single Progression, no Multiclass Penalty. That said...[b]I encourage reflavors, so have fun.[/i] See my viewpoint on Alignment along with this.
>>>D) Level. We're starting at level 12. I just really like this level. It's a great level for PF classes, I think.
>>>E) Backstory. Tell me who they were, and tell me how they died.
>>>F) Personality and Appearance. I want to get to know them. Pictures are deeply welcomed, BUT...I still want a written description. Don't forget it.
3) Again, remember reflavors are a thing. A HUGE thing. Also...This campaign is homebrew, which means homebrewing is a thing. In other words, I don't want to see entirely homebrewed classes...but rebrewing a single janky ability for the sake of flavor may be fine. A homebrew item may be fine. The condition? It needs to be as flavorful as my family's fifth generational Thanksgiving recipes. And it needs to abide by my Rule One (see About the Game). And remember...homebrews ALWAYS pend my approval. Without exception. So please be upfront about everything you need approval for.
4) Rules/Resources: Forgot this the first time. Pazio first party, along with Dreamscarred Press. Hard ban on Dread (the psionic one). All other resources on an as-requested basis.

Things I'm specifically looking for:

I'm looking for good writing skills. In PbP this is critical, since your written words need to convey what expressions, intonations, body-language, and everything else would say IRL. I need to have my senses engaged with your writing, my mind enraptured, and my imagination excited. This means that a good command of english is also necessary.

I want creativity. I'm opening the doors of settings, (limited) homebrewing, reflavoring, and so much more to you...take advantage of it! Or, maybe, create the most boring and basic build ever...with an extraordinarily creative backstory, personality, and overall writing skill. Sense of humor is equally necessary.

Consistency in availability. My life makes it so that I can post quite regularly. I may occasionally slow down (with given notice), but my life has not been as straightforward as it is right now...pretty much ever. And it's not changing in the foreseeable future. The quickest way to end a game is to have the posting rate be too slow to keep everyone engaged. Additionally, if you cannot keep up with a fast paced game, then I would prefer it if you did not join only to drop out after the first few cycles of posts.

Applicants and Deadline
So, I don't like making tables...I'll make one eventually.

*Imagine a wonderful Application Table here*

DEADLINE:...Haven't decided yet. I'll throw one up based on number/quality of applications. Minimum of a 10 day notice, probably. Maybe a week notice. :P

Business as Usual, Posting Normal

Last edited by Alphaeus; 10-05-2019 at 03:47 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2482
Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon Cristal08Darkmoon
Character creation information?
Old 10-04-2019, 08:15 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 472
Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End
Names: Calcifur and Sophie (they both have True-names in the old language of Earthsea, known only to each other)
Race: Human
Class: Spiritualist
Alignment: Neutral Good, Blue Green Red color alignment

Background

Appearance and PersonalityCalcifur and Sophie share many aspects in both looks and personality. They each are of the same stature with even heights and posture, they share a jawline and pointed chin, and their eyes are identically verdant and hawkish. They most obvious difference is Sophie is entirely corporeal and Calcifur is ethereal and translucent in both is ethereal and ectoplasmic states, although in the latter state he has a lustrous sheen on his person. He shifts through the color spectrum freely to match his emotion, and is often jealous of the living folk that can hide their emotions behind their faces, but if you could properly see his colors he would appear to be a pale caucasian with short dusty brown hair and rosy cheeks. Calcifur wore black slacks and a heather brown v-neck shirt with long sleeves on the night of his death and has carried that look on into this version of himself. Sophie meanwhile can clearly be seen to have coppery brown skin and terracotta sun-marks on her cheeks and nose, with long black hair braided loosely to the mid of her back. Her nose is particularly pointed and wears a few quarter sized hoop earrings in each ear. Her favorite outfit is a sailors garb, free flowing red pants that billow with tightened cuffs, a loose tan tunic that shows off her midriff, bare feet and a black belt sash around her waist.

Both aim to be level headed and rational, freely admitting ignorance or mistakes for the sake of bettering themselves and learning more that they do not know. However their emotions can and do get the better of them if they don't expect to be challenged, until they regain perspective and accept their blunderous choices. Sophie is vocal and critical, but mostly optimistic while Calcifur is quiet and contemplative, seeking out the errors and pitfalls of a plan in order to best reach their outcomes. When they disagree on a matter (as rare as that is) they will deliberate with each other, but Calcifur will usually defer to Sophies judgement given her experience as a leader and her general alivedness that she possesses. Both treat others as outsiders no matter how close they become and feel no strong connection to anyone but each other, but always offer respect with hopes of mutual reciprocation.

Last edited by Seasons End; 10-11-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:24 PM
Rules of Paradise

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5533
Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis
Path of war kosher?
Old 10-04-2019, 09:09 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5008
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
I may just apply to your game to see if you go insane trying to keep the butterfly effect in check. I played around with a Spelljammer time travel game once, and it about fried my brain.

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterPosting Status: IRON DM In Progress!!!
Old 10-05-2019, 12:25 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13066
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
Sounds interesting that's for sure, and with a multitude of possible settings and themes it would seem all options are possible
Old 10-05-2019, 03:49 AM
LͫOͤRͫDͤ

Tools
User Statistics
Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus
@Vaer

Path of War is indeed Kosher. I will warn that I do not personally put it to much use, however, so it is the least-polished corner of Pathfinder for me. Not really an issue, just saying I may miss/forget nuances of your mechanics now and then early on.

@Crystal:

Lol, I added a Rules/resources section under the Applications and Character Creation fieldset.

Last edited by Alphaeus; 10-05-2019 at 03:50 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:14 AM
Rules of Paradise

Tools
User Statistics
Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis
Well, there aren't too many new mechanics. The worst is that you have to consider that it makes melees closer to casters in the ability to shut down enemies or go nova if built for it. App incoming.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:56 AM
Rules of Paradise

Tools
User Statistics
App
Yuski Inugami
Character Details
Race: HumanAge:24Class:Harbinger (Ravenlord)Alignment:CN
Physical Description
Yuski is, a 5'4" woman, in summary, she is short and has a youthful face for her age with skin colored like pristine porcelain. Her figure is slim and toned in some places, but otherwise has the figure of her body is alike to a highschooler. Her hair does not grow much longer than an inch past her jawline, and it is colored naturally as black as raven's feathers, much like her own eyes. In her hair is a solitary white bow, blemished with small splotches of blood, and with glyphs inked all over the cloth. She is dressed in a tight, white business shirt, a short black tie and a pleated black skirt with a slit cut into its right side. Unusual however for one of her appearance, is a swordbelt, heavily decorated with symbols of religious symbolism and three smoke grenades, and a wakizashi with a prayer seal hanging off of the end of the hilt. Beneath her faded hooded jacket obviously meant for a male a size larger than her, one can see a shoulder holster sticking out next to her meager chest, with a rust-colored Luger holstered within. About her neck is a tight leather collar with a silver cross hanging from it, upon the cross is a finely engraved letter 'Y'. Warming her extremities are a pair of faux leather gloves that bared most of her palm, upon her legs are black, thigh-high nylon stockings, and covering her feet are a pair of black combat boots, custom-made to have heels. An unusual feature accompanying her attire would be the raven perching upon her shoulder. This raven, as one could loosely describe it as such, had ink-like texture to his feathers, as if it were painted into existence, and upon its face is a hard, white shell that made it seem as if the creature were wearing a mask shaped after its own skull, devoid of eyes.
Personality
Yuski is a smiling, thoughtful girl. Certainly within her head rattles about hundreds of thoughts she can manage, with all the emotional stability that would come with it. Fortunately for her, negative feelings such as anger, sorrow and regret were fed upon by her traveling companion, leaving her with all of her other feelings to indulge and present. Before the introduction, and use of her companion, she was was a quiet, and demure woman, of the like one would see loyally standing in someone's shadow. While studious would be an imprecise descriptor, her dedication and openness to learning new things is often at the forefront of most of her interactions of late. She has recently tried partaking humor now that she cannot even conceive of other things, however her skill is poor as all she had was practice with herself.
Background: Yuski was born as the female part of the brother-female pair of twins, upon earth, mid nineties, cheers to the millennium, on the west coast of the United States. This world, of which Yuski and her brother Daro had grown into, was a world where creatures of myth and the forces of magic are real. However, the beings known, the powers of spells, all such things were found to be much weaker than our stories would tell. Early on in history, before humanity became numerous, reliance on magic was needed to survive the forces of the supernatural, but as the march of time wore down upon their world. In the time it would take to cast a firebolt, a crossbow could put a bolt through a man's heart and kill him with certainty. The old ways, the matters of arcane were placed aside, one could easily make a weapon of enough significance, anoint it with some symbols and some rituals and it could perform with more functional efficiency than any man with a pointy hat and a blue robe could ever conjure up. But what happened to mythical creatures? Dragons and whatnot? They are, more or less, still around, but lessened, any demon can be analyzed and comprehended, nothing more than a point of data like any other person. Heaven is a real place, and no it isn't home and nor does it have any pearly gates. Humanity had evolved beyond the need to fear such matters than they would fear a scorpion infestation in their back yard. Because of how many books were written, these supernatural creatures were often romanticized, and many organizations sprouted up around the world to draw a line between the human perception of natural and the real, wider world. Any problems with the supernatural, are dealt by such organizations with ruthless effectiveness, and habitats of these beings are otherwise maintained under constant surveillance and heavy applications of human cultural influence to keep any incidents to the minimum.

Daro and Yuski, were "abandoned" children, parents killed by a novice necromancer, someone that could otherwise make a living simply cooking meth in his basement. That man simply found a book that had a glowing review of creating the walking dead, of course this man watched too many Romero flicks and he decided to start cutting up a couple of middle-class accountants. Police were called, cash was exchanged, undead disposed, would-be junkie dealer sent to an asylum for reconditioning, end of story. What happened to the kids? They were witnesses, they simply couldn't be left there, even with the amount of noise in the system that would make the truth sound nuts, they had to be kept up-to-date. That's where we stepped in, Illuminati, yes-yes, the eye in the pyramid, we indeed rule. We took the kids in to one of our nurseries for gifted children in the nineties.

Once the twins were ten, and ready, they were "adopted" by an agent of ours, classified name, redacted rank, great with kids, fun at parties, knows their way around a possessed broadsword. The kids were conditioned early, and they were trained in the function of the business, Daro was a hothead with potential, the sister tagged along. The agent and the twins did a whole bunch of traveling, quite the number of missions, only a few of them confidential. After a trip to Birmingham and soon after, Kyoto, Yuski proved herself a good spiritualist, real useful results when we add hauntings into the equation. She, unfortunately turned down a post in New England that kept the ghosts down when they get too rowdy in the tourist traps. Unfortunately she stayed with her brother, real separation issues with this one.

Officially adults, Daro and Yuski were separated from their teacher, now they answer to a handler in Tokyo. They did odd jobs for us, enforced some contracts, made sure the local yakuza boys didn't get too many hands on cursed armories, put a vampire or two into the northwest pacific, they were real corporate go-getters. Danger is always a part of the job, and one of those jobs found the pair under the ire of a redacted-named global corporation. Unfortunately these boys are a part of our world as well, despite them being industry toddlers. As such, they were quite rash, forgot the rules. There was a guard job hiring the twins, watching over a sarcophagus on loan to a local museum, making sure king who-cares does not wake up from several thousand year nap in public. Long story short, redacted attacked the guarded facility, Daro had his back to a sniper, Yuski took the bullet. The artifact is gone, and Daro still hadn't stopped crushing this one mook's head like a melon. Bad day for us.

Last edited by Vaerdis; 10-07-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:08 AM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 58746
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
i've been looking for a high level PF or 3.5 game for a bit.

Name: Tobias Windleaf, aka "Shade"
Race: Elf
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Class: Magus (hexcrafter)
Level 12

Old 10-05-2019, 08:09 AM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5034
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Placeholder for definite interest.

"He looked to the Kender for wisdom. If there was one thing she was good for, it was pearls of wisdom. Wisdom buried beneath twelve hours of stories about obscure relatives."
-Imveros
Old 10-05-2019, 08:49 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 472
Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End
I know you clearly have already answered this question but I ask for the sake of cementing it within my mind. Any setting is ok? If I can make a pathfinder build of a person of this earth that's ok? If I bring in a character from my homebrew setting that's ok? If I revive an old character from another person's homebrew campaign I created ten years ago that's ok? It's ok if I conform a character to the pathfinder rule set from a popular culture universe such as DCU/MCU, Magic: The Gathering, The Wheel of Time, Shrek, etc? If I can create a 'generic' knight in armor questing hero that makes sense that's ok?

Edit: if I could truly get in the mind of the Blues Brothers we would see magical things happen.

Last edited by Seasons End; 10-05-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:58 PM
LͫOͤRͫDͤ

Tools
User Statistics
@Seasons

The only caveat is that I don't want to see non-original characters. So...MCU-esque character? Sure. An actual avenger? Ofc not.

Yes, any universe works. Just realize that the more details exist for your universe, the more I'll have to work in the blending. I'm totally fine with this, but that does mean I'll have to tamper with your character a bit to get things worked out.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:46 PM
The red pandas are coming

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17517
LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA
WIP

Sōlitāria
right-aligned image

Name: Sōlitāria, Sōla for short
Race: Psionic Android(Custom)
Class: Psion(Egoist) 5/Metamorph 7
Alignment: N
Theme:
Traits:

Description

Roleplay Example

Last edited by LittleBlueNA; 10-09-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:11 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 467
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Is Spheres of Power allowed? Also, any details on stat generation?