RPXP: 250
Maris Sparhawk Maris Sparhawk Maris Sparhawk
Stargate Genesys

Game NameStargate Genesys
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeAdventure, Exploration, Conflict
FlavourLight and Fun with the occasional Drama to shake things up

Stargate Genesys

In 1928, an archeological dig near Giza, Egypt lead by Dr. Catherine Langford unearthed a strange device. A large circle, almost 7m in diameter, build out of two rings. The inner circle showed an array of symbols, unrelated to egyptian hieroglyphs or any other ancient language and could be moved. The outer circle had seven chevron like parts on it, that were clearly some kind of technology. A chemical analysis showed that the ring not only was made out of an unknown metal, but that it was indeed a new element. One that hasn’t been found anywhere on Earth.

For decades, the device baffled and stunned the handful of scientists who got clearance to study it. It’s history and purpose remained a mystery. Until six weeks ago. Finally, the secrets had been unlocked and plans were put in motion. What plans? How did they figure it out? If you want to find out, tune in for the new sci-fi series that will revolutionize the genre on television. Join and experience the Genesys of a brand new adventure.
Only on cable.

Welcome to Stargate Genesys! If you’re here, because you know what Stargate is and think it might be a good idea to play in that world: Great! Then I don’t have to explain anything to you. If you have no idea what I am talking about, don’t fret! Here is a short synopsis:

Based on the 1994 movie Stargate, three pretty awesome TV shows (I am gonna pretend the cartoon and Origins don’t exist) tell the story of an alien device, the Stargate, capable of transporting people almost instantaneously between planets in our galaxy. Under the leadership of the U.S. Air Force small groups of soldiers, explorers, scientists, and sometimes even diplomats venture through the gate to strange new worlds. To discover new life and civilizations. To boldly go…. Wrong Universe! But the gist is the same. Stargate is the story of extraordinary adventures in which you, the player, will meet ancient and advanced civilizations. You’ll make contact with friendly and not so friendly alien races. You’ll discover new or maybe really old technologies and maybe you’ll find the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything.

If that sounds alluring to you, then I suggest you read through the rest of the Advertisement, consider if this is a game you might want to participate in, and send me an application. I would really appreciate it.

TV Shows and MoviesStargate (1994), SG-1 10 seasons + 2 TV movies, Atlantis 5 seasons, and Universe 2 seasons. That’s 17 seasons with over three hundred episodes and three movies. If you haven’t seen any of it: Great! Then you can experience Stargate Genesys just like your character: with an open mind and no idea what’s going to happen.
If you’re like me and you’ve seen everything multiple times, you should forget all about it.

DISCLAIMER: This is an alternate universe. The events of the shows and movies did not happen here.

Nothing is set in stone and every little piece of lore can be subject to change. The Goa'uld could be a bunch of humanoid Bunny’s and the most evil thing they do is cuddle you to death with their floppy ears and plushy bunny tails. Okay, I blew the example out of proportions, but I did it to make a point. Of course, the Goa'uld are going to be bad guys! However, if you are a stickler for details and it annoys you that staff weapons in SGG shoot green instead of yellow bursts of energy, this might not be the game for you.

Rules and Regulations

The game is in the name. I decided to go with the Genesys System from Fantasy Flight Games. Why? I am just not a big fan of the d20 System, which the old Stargate RPG uses. The new Stargate RPG is based on DnD 5e, which I think is better, but it will not be published before 2020. So, I had to go with something else and I thought about Fate or maybe Cypher, but in the end I found Genesys to be the most comfortable for me. I don’t have to homebrew much to make it work for this setting and I generally prefer rules that support a narrative style of storytelling. In addition, Genesys has a slight cinematic touch to it, and I think that works really well with a game based on a tv show.

If you have no experience at all with FFG's strange way of rolling hard to recognize symbols, you are still welcome to give it a try. I, myself, am not a pro. I played the starter box for Age of Rebellion once and that’s it. Genesys might look intimidating but it is not that complicated. We’ll figure it out together.

A Fair TradeI would like to find four players willing to go on a journey to the stars. I can make it work with three players, if there aren’t enough applications, but I won’t exceed four! And just to be sure I’m going to repeat myself:

Having seen the show is NOT a prerequisite!
You do NOT have to have ANY kind of experience with the Genesys System.

I would like to keep the game flowing at a steady pace. Therefore I am looking for players who can post at a minimum rate of 3-4 posts per week. Or rather one post every other day. If, occasionally, you can’t make it, because of reasons, don’t sweat it. This will happen to me too, I can already promise that.

In return I offer an already fleshed out first season. I just need to adjust some details in regards to the characters you’re going to play. Yes, I said season. This is not a single adventure, although I should inform you that the episodes themselves are not that big. They only consist of four to five Scenes, or Encounters if you want to use the FFG Star Wars terminology. It won’t take us years to finish this. The first season consists of 8 episodes with the series opener and season finale being slightly bigger than the rest.
Longterm commitment from you, the players, is not necessary, however it is preferable. If you can’t or don’t want to continue at any point, I won’t bat an eye. It is what it is. Circumstances change, interest fades away.

CharactersBefore I go into more detail about the type of characters you’re going to play, I’d like to talk about the technical part of character creation. You don’t need access to the Genesys rulebook. By the time you’re reading this, I am already preparing some files that will guide you through the process and as a bonus argument in favour of Genesys: it is extremely easy to create characters. If you own the book, and you really, really want to make a character, by all means go ahead (+50 XP for more experienced characters, see page 44). Just keep in mind that I have to make some adjustments to make it work with the Stargate theme. If you can anticipate those changes, good for you, otherwise keep in mind that you might have to make some changes to your sheet later too. Also, I won’t even look at your sheets until your character has been recruited into the Stargate Program. All I am going to look at are your answers in the character application form down below. That is all I care about at the moment.

left-aligned image
The four characters are going to form a team that will later be called SG-1 and, as I’ve already mentioned, the Stargate Program is a military program. Therefore at least half should have military backgrounds. However that means there are still lots of possibilities open. You can choose to play an Air Force officer just like in the show. Or a Marine, a Ranger, a Seal, etc. Your character could be a leader type, a sniper, a scout, an engineer, a field medic or even a scientist. Samantha Carter from the show was a trained fighter pilot with actual combat experience and had a PhD in Astrophysics as well. There is room to mix and match.

Other than that, there is of course the possibility to play a civilian contractor. A major theme of the show was the exploration of ancient human civilizations that preserved their culture on another planet for hundreds or thousands of years. There is a place for your archeologist, anthropologist, or linguistic expert. If you don’t want to bother yourself with old stuff, you could be a civilian physicist, biochemist, or biologist. Just no geologist please. Because rock people!

If you’re not sure if your idea would work, don’t hesitate to ask me. I’d be happy to answer all of your questions .

With that out of the way, I’d like to talk briefly about the chain of command. As mentioned, at least two characters should be military personal and they have ranks. Most likely, one will outrank the other and he or she will be designated the team leader. We’re going to need a team leader. You, the chosen one, will have to give orders. That is both a burden and an opportunity. Not everyone feels comfortable barking orders to other players, so you should think about if you really want to do this. On the other hand, on at least some occasions you’re going to be the one who decides where the story goes next. Other military players with lower ranked character will have to accept the fact, that they have a superior officer and the civilian characters, well, you’re at the bottom of the chain. You’re expected to listen to the soldiers guarding your lives and if you don’t, they simply kick you out.

But I must once again refer you to the show. Even some of the main characters were known for their problems with authority. Sure, they followed orders, but they didn’t do so blindly. They were willing to go against orders and risk their career and freedom. Just because your character has to follow orders, doesn’t mean he has to be a robot that only knows ‘’Yes, Sir!’’.
Even more important, it is your character who is caught in the chain of command. Not the player! You can always jump over to the OOC thread and discuss what the best option would be, before the commanding officer writes his next post. And he should listen. Yes, he is in command, at least when you’re in the field, and has the last word, but this is not a solo game and everybody should have equal fun.

And finally, please don’t take it personal. Maybe I’m stating the obvious, but unfortunately, I had this experience. A player who couldn’t grasp that concept and every time his character was given an order, he reacted badly to it.

ApplicationName: duh!
Title/Rank: Your military rank, scientific degree, title of nobility, your Sith name, or whatever else you think belongs here.

Description: a short, physical description will suffice. Don’t bother with stuff like clothes or makeup, since most of the time, your characters will run around in military equipment. Pictures are welcome!

History: again, a short, brief history of what your character’s been up to is enough. The private life outside the Program doesn’t matter that much. It may at some point play a bigger role for like a single episode here and there, but if that happens I’ll first talk to you anyway. This part only helps you flesh out where your character’s coming from and how he got to where he is now.

The Event: And here is the exception to what I’ve just said in History. Please, come up with one single event in your character’s life. Something that was a defining moment for him/her. Whether this was a tragic event or a happy occasion or something completely different is up to you. The important thing is: Your character is who he/she is today, because ‘that’ happened. No short stories, please. One or two paragraphs should be enough.

Motivation: Technically, this is already part of character creation, since step 6 in Genesys asks you about your character’s motivations. But it fits here as well, if not better. Your characters are soon going to realize that stepping through the Stargate is no walk in the park. The team is going to risk their lives on a daily basis. By the end of the season they will have seen more action than most professional soldiers in their entire career. What keeps them going? They could step away and let others do the job, but they won’t. Why?

Personality: Okay, I can’t stress this enough: THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART. Backstory, the Event, rank and education are all good and well. But it is the personality that makes an intriguing character. The shows wouldn’t have been half as good, if the main characters were cardboard cutouts. They all had their unique quirks and habits. The best TV shows are those with interesting characters. Make your character an interesting one.

Show, don’t tell (optional): You have told me about your character’s personality. Now, you can show it to me, if you’d like. Put your character in a situation, in any situation of your choosing, that demonstrates his personality best. Again, one or two paragraphs are enough. This is purely optional. If you can’t think of anything, I won’t hold it against you.

Why me? The last bit. I promise. The Stargate Program only recruits the best of the best. Your characters will form SG-1, the flagship team. Of course, they are under the same scrutiny as everyone else. Your character is an absolute amazing shot and sharpshooter? Guess what, so are a dozen other applicants. Your character can speak seven different languages? I’m sure, we can find someone who speaks ten, including Icelandic. Why is your character considered to be ‘the best of the best'? What does he provide for the team and the Stargate Program as whole?

Experience with Genesys: no criteria, just good to know. None, Unfamiliar, Familiar, Professional.

DeadlineI want to give this a decent amount of time for you to come up with intriguing and interesting characters. I’ll set the deadline for November, 1st for now.

Depending on how fast or slow the applications come in, I might change the date.

What are you still waiting for? The Stargate and the Galaxy are waiting for you.

Last edited by Maris Sparhawk; 10-05-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:24 PM
World Dominator

Tools
User Statistics
Applicants
PlayerCharacterConceptCompleted
LazerDuke KhepriSpecial Operations Air ForceYes
PrymusJebediah Beauregard Winfieldxx
AcathalaMatunusFormer Tok'ra OperativeYes
MoonZarMizuki FujiwaraArcheologist Linguistic ExpertYes
hafrogmanDavid JohnsonBritish Soldier SASYes

Last edited by Maris Sparhawk; 10-15-2019 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2435
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Yes. Yes please. I'll get an application in as soon as I can.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:32 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I’m just trying to get my character’s timeline sorted out; will our foray through the Stargate be set present day? Or the nineties? Some other time?
Old 10-06-2019, 10:01 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 472
Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End Seasons End
[redacted]

Last edited by Seasons End; 10-14-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:48 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 434
Prymus Prymus Prymus Prymus Prymus
This sounds great! I loved Stargate and an alternate Universe version is an excellent idea.

My first thought is that I am on vacation later this month for two weeks but I see the deadline is November 1st.

Just setting up the app page, nothing to see....yet.

Last edited by Prymus; 10-07-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:23 PM
World Dominator

Tools
User Statistics
Awesome. Some people are interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
I’m just trying to get my character’s timeline sorted out; will our foray through the Stargate be set present day? Or the nineties? Some other time?
It's the present, 2019. Maybe autumn 2018 since that's when new shows air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prymus View Post
This sounds great! I loved Stargate and an alternate Universe version is an excellent idea.

My first thought is that I am on vacation later this month for two weeks but I see the deadline is November 1st.
Yes, there is enough time. So jealous! Haven't had a vacation for almost a year now.

Last edited by Maris Sparhawk; 10-07-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:29 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 434
Prymus Prymus Prymus Prymus Prymus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maris Sparhawk View Post
Yes, there is enough time. So jealous! Haven't had a vacation for almost a year now.
Hopefully you get one soon!
Old 10-08-2019, 05:51 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Name: Duke Khepri
Title/Rank: Uhm, Colonel?

Description: Duke always seems calm, with his slow lazy drawl and easy smile. His dark Mediterranean hair is kept short but he often struggles to keep his stubble in check as it grows so fast. He is of average height and isn’t naturally athletic so he has to put in a lot of work to keep himself in shape. When dealing with subordinates he doesn’t worry too much about rules and regulations as long as everyone is being respectful, but he comes down hard and early on anybody who seems to be a “problem case”, which generally means somebody who doesn’t respond well to his informal chats.

History: Duke grew up in Caruthersville, Missouri and has proudly retained his accent, for the most part. His father, who moved there with his wife from Greece in the early 80’s, dusted crops in the area, so Duke grew up around planes, which meant it wasn’t a surprise when he joined the Air Force at sixteen. What was a surprise was that he opted not to apply for pilot training, going instead for training with the Air Force Security Services. He graduated boot and was offered a commission in the Special Operations Command in MacDill Air Force Base, Florida. The highlights of his career there are mostly classified, although he was promoted faster than average and received several decorations and awards, including the Air Force Cross.

He married Sally May Crosby when he was 25, and fathered a child, Huey, at 27. Sally May applied for a divorce when Huey was only 7 years old, citing “irreconcilable differences” and Duke didn’t contest it.

The Event: Sally May married Dave Beeton, an orthodontist, two weeks before Duke’s thirtieth birthday. Since they were still friends, for Huey’s sake if nothing else, he was invited to the reception; he couldn’t exactly say no, could he? So he turned up, alone, fully prepared to be bored but completely unprepared for the devastation that the event would cause him. It wasn’t seeing Sal with another man, those possessive feelings had long-since faded, it was seeing Huey beaming as he handed Dave the ring.

He had already known that he had been a failure as a father, but it had never occurred to him that he could be so easily replaced.

Motivation: Soldiering is the only thing that Duke has ever been good at, but he couldn’t tell you exactly why. He wasn’t a natural soldier like some people he’d served with; he didn’t take to marksmanship, or assault courses, or drill, or even the necessary discipline as easily as others had, instead he has had to work hard to achieve everything he has. But why that work ethic never bloomed in his civilian life is something of a mystery. He’d dropped out of high school, let his marriage fall apart in front of his eyes, he struggles to remember to pay his bills on time or take out the trash. But at work it’s different. His friends depend on him, their very lives depend on him. And all of the expectations of him are clear, concise, and rarely change, except during missions. But it’s on those missions when he seems to be at his best, dealing with the ever changing situation calmly and decisively. That’s when he feels alive, like he’s important, doing something important, and not just going through the motions.

If he’s honest that’s what it comes down to; on mission is the only time he truly feels alive. What that says about him as a person, the fact that getting shot at makes him happier than watching his son play baseball, he’d rather not dwell on.

Personality: Duke speaks slowly and languidly, which can easily give people the impression that he thinks slow too, although that isn’t the case, as anybody who has been in the field with him can attest.

He doesn’t advertise it, but Duke found out when applying to join the Air Force that he has discalculia, so he tends to avoid numbers wherever possible. This is what steered him away from pilot training and what made him decide on courses in the humanities for his personal study.

Show, don’t tell (optional): You have told me about your character’s personality. Now, you can show it to me, if you’d like. Put your character in a situation, in any situation of your choosing, that demonstrates his personality best. Again, one or two paragraphs are enough. This is purely optional. If you can’t think of anything, I won’t hold it against you.

Why me? Duke is a good soldier and a born leader, but he is also an amateur egyptologist and can recognise a good few hieroglyphs, even without a book. His family came from Egypt (through Greece) so he took to the study in order to understand his own roots, and in doing so discovered a passion which his sixteen year old self would never have suspected.

Experience with Genesys: I have played a lot of FFG Star Wars and have the book for Genesys so I should pick the system up pretty quickly (unless I’ve jinxed it).

Last edited by Lazer; Yesterday at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:56 PM
World Dominator

Tools
User Statistics
I'd say that is a really nice start. And with the rank of Colonel, you're shooting for the prestigious position as team leader.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks. Yeah, i thought I’d go for team leader although I don’t mind getting a demotion if somebody else wants it.

I’ve hit a bit of a wall with the motivation section but I’ll finish it off as soon as I can.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:28 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
And there it is, app complete, unless there’s anything you’d like me to change.

Edit; I’ll probably put something in the optional section too as soon as I can.

Last edited by Lazer; 10-11-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:00 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22572
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Lovely...
Old 10-11-2019, 06:52 PM
Consilio Et Prudentia

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4689
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
Declaring interest as a former Tok'ra operative.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:16 AM
World Dominator

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonZar View Post
Lovely...
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
And there it is, app complete, unless there’s anything you’d like me to change.

Edit; I’ll probably put something in the optional section too as soon as I can.
Well, thank you. I usually don't ask players to change their characters in any way. It's your character and you have to be the one who's happy with it. If I ask you to change this or that, it may only lead to a character that you're not going to like.

But if you'd like, I could give you my first impression, maybe some things that stand out to me, kind of like a mini review, and send it to you as a pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acathala View Post
Declaring interest as a former Tok'ra operative.
Interesting. We can make this work. If you want to keep part of the application secret, I don't mind if use the secret tag for it.

Last edited by Maris Sparhawk; 10-12-2019 at 02:18 AM.