RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons 5e > Dawn of Adventure
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 09-11-2014, 10:31 AM
bigAl's Avatar
bigAl bigAl is offline
The Seventh Samurai
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-02-2018
RPXP: 1441
bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl
Posts: 1,845
When he finishes speaking Bodie looks around at his companions. The dwarf, Hogart, poses an interesting question, "Which is easier to provoke into foolishness, a rabid dog or a sneaky goblin?" "A perplexing idea." Bodie says, responding to Hogart's proposition. "Something worth discussing. I guess it depends on what you poke them with, and where."
__________________
Funes Borghieri | Goya Yarrow
"The history of all hitherto existing societies is the history of class struggles." Bards are best.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-14-2014, 10:45 PM
Cidolfas's Avatar
Cidolfas Cidolfas is offline
TGWTWSA
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-04-2016
RPXP: 7727
Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas
Posts: 5,418
The female patron of the group stood up and gestured for the door. ďYou all will be travelling aboard the Currently Swift, a smallish barge that travels down the river daily. Iíve secured passage for all five of you and it departs in two hourís time. The harbor is a short distance from here so any arrangements to be made prior to departure ought to be made now."

After the preparations were complete, the group gathered aboard the flat bottomed ship. It was a bit more than thirty feet long and a quarter of that wide. Long poles dropped down the sides to push along the shallowest parts of the river. It was manned by a twelve person crew and there were fifteen or so passengers currently onboard. All were rather disheveled and sad-looking folk. It was a wonder any would head downstream towards the danger, but in order to eat one must sell their wares. Death by starvation is no worse than death by a blade to the gut.

They spoke to the captain of the vessel who brought them aboard without a fuss. The group shuffled on and found an open spot at the furthest part of the boat from the plank to the dock. Five men, what looked like a father and his grown sons, huddled near a cart they had brought on not far from there. It was a quarter filled with fish so one could safely assume they were a family of fisherfolk. Others were gathered in pairs; a husband and wife in tattered clothes, two men with cheap looking weapons strapped to their belts and worn armor, and two especially gaunt females. Finally there were many who travelled alone, included a man with several pelts, another wearing dingy priestís robes and a few other armed folk. There was little conversation occurring as the barge began its departure.
 

__________________
After some time away, looking to get back into gaming here.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-15-2014, 03:17 AM
jbear's Avatar
jbear jbear is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-14-2019
RPXP: 13038
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
Posts: 8,714
Hogart continues to tug on his beard. "Well, I would poke the rabid dog with something that smelt like goblin, or bite the goblin with something that looked like a rabid dog. Depending on which one was easier, and which scenario can be played out without getting the townsfolk chopped in the middle, that's where I'd start. After one falls in on the other, you wait, and then you kill whoever limps away. That's how we would do it down in Mithral Hall anyway." The dwarf, whose face had lightened considerably from its dark scowling born from all the nattering, suddenly frowned again as though suddenly realising he had been drawn into a conversation and was now officially equally responsable for the delay the talk was causing. He sighed with relief when their female patron moved them all along.

At the dock Hogart stopped dead still. His eyes were locked on the barge. "That's not hardly right' he muttered. He teetered on his toes for a moment as though stubbornly refusing his brain's admonishment to move forward and board the vessel. At last he toppled forward and rushed on board with his eyes completely closed, begging for disaster. At the end of the plank he indeed does trip, but falls face first on the deck rather than in the water. "Thank Moradin for that!" He exclaims spread eagled on the floor gripping the planks below. He then crawls forward to the centre of the boat and grips whatever he can find very tightly. He remains there hanging on for dear life, looking as equally miserable as the other passengers heading downstream towards danger, although his own reasons for such a dour face are more to do with the unnatural bisiness of floating on water than what awaited them at the end of their voyage upon the small barge.
__________________
"Kill them all!"

Last edited by jbear; 09-16-2014 at 02:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-16-2014, 02:18 AM
bigAl's Avatar
bigAl bigAl is offline
The Seventh Samurai
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-02-2018
RPXP: 1441
bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl
Posts: 1,845
Allyx Wormword
Hopping onto the barge Allyx surveys the gathered travelers. Hmm, lively bunch we've got here. He sits down far away from the fish-filled art and pulls out his piccolo. He plays a slow and lilting tune, all the while
Dice Insight:
d20+2 (7)+2 Total = 9
sizing up the passengers current money situation. Perhaps I can make a coin or two on the trip downstream.
__________________
Funes Borghieri | Goya Yarrow
"The history of all hitherto existing societies is the history of class struggles." Bards are best.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-17-2014, 10:01 PM
Inuvash255's Avatar
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 is offline
Level 30 Commoner
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-02-2019
RPXP: 3604
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
Posts: 2,861
Varis gathered his things and left for the barge immediately. He stopped on his way to the pier to watch some songbirds a-fluttering through the trees of a small garden. He felt a pang of regret then- the sing-songs of the birds reminded him that he hadn't wished his friends so-long before he made his leave and there would be no time to find them all individually. So, before getting to the boat, the monk found and held up a postman. For a shiny silver coin, he asked the post-person to deliver a message to one Mido Littlecloak of the Colepin Trader's Company that read:

Note~Dear Mido,
Sorry, but I can't make afternoon tea,
I'm going on a quest,
and I'm not sure how long I'll be...

Give the others my best!
-Varis Daysong


After the message was sent, Varis took off towards the dock. When he arrived, he found one of his travel companions playing a small flute. He smiled and watched the gnome play, waiting for the tune to end so that he may congratulate the piccolo player, "Very nice! Probably the best I've heard on a flute like that so far!"
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-18-2014, 11:12 PM
bigAl's Avatar
bigAl bigAl is offline
The Seventh Samurai
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-02-2018
RPXP: 1441
bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl
Posts: 1,845
Allyx WormwordAllyx finishes his tune and moves closer to some of the passengers that had been listening. "I am new to this area. Allyx Wormword." He introduces himself with a deep bow. "What is the name of the hamlet we are journeying to? I have heard rumors that there are, er. . . difficulties in the area at present, are these rumors to be believed?"
__________________
Funes Borghieri | Goya Yarrow
"The history of all hitherto existing societies is the history of class struggles." Bards are best.

Last edited by bigAl; 09-24-2014 at 12:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-19-2014, 11:00 PM
BrokenPlayer's Avatar
BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer is offline
Come here often?
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-05-2018
RPXP: 4570
BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer
Posts: 5,995
Frowning slightly, Barric Moonshadow couldn't help but sigh at the sight of the water below him and the treeline in the distance. Hate barges, he thought as he sat upon a small crate within view of the others he was assigned to work with. The piccolo was nice, Barric thought, and the music took his mind off of the thought of not being on solid land for several minutes until the tune ended.

Still, like in the tavern, Barric remained silent. He was excited for this new adventure in his life but leery of those around him. They seemed gruff and stand offish, something Barric wasn't sure how to deal with. Did he go up and talk, or did he allow communication to flow naturally?

The Wood Elf shook his head. More time was needed.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-24-2014, 09:59 PM
Cidolfas's Avatar
Cidolfas Cidolfas is offline
TGWTWSA
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-04-2016
RPXP: 7727
Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas
Posts: 5,418
Without bothering to speak to any of the locals, the adventurers made themselves as comfortable as possible for the barge ride. It did not move swiftly as the river carried them at a leisurely pace. A few aquatic animals paused to observe their passage and all moved away from the large structure. For a time a medium sized tiger padded down the coast along their path. It growled once before darting off in search of closer prey. There were two brief stops before the gruff man shouted the name of their destination, Sourrun they had learned, to the passengers. It was barely in view at that time as the ship slowly made its way down the river. It still seemed as though it would take ages to reach while their anticipation began to rise.

Just out of bowshot, details of the hamlet started to come into view. There were no more than ten houses and many of those were more huts than true homes. If one was used to the luxuries of a grand city like Silverymoon they would certainly describe it as a backwaters hamlet. Those with knowledge of the area knew many farmers and woodsman passed through to sell their goods, yet few lived in the place it seemed. It was not readily apparent why the place wouldn't be more popular based on its location.

Creeping ever closer a passenger screeched and pointed towards the center of the place. What had previously appeared to be a gathering at the town square was instead the beginnings of a skirmish. It was a mixture of mostly elves and humans, with a smallfolk or two thrown in as well. The sun did not glint off of any weapons yet the posture of those present was an aggressive one. Still the vessel creaked forward, about a minute out from landing and in no real hurry. Nonetheless it certainly looked like the timing of their presence was rather fortuitous.

 
__________________
After some time away, looking to get back into gaming here.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-25-2014, 12:21 PM
DaMavster's Avatar
DaMavster DaMavster is offline
Sometimes, I eat cake
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 03-11-2019
RPXP: 6040
DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster
Posts: 5,939
Ara spends most of the trip lazily wandering about the barge, taking in as much of their passing environment as possible. He doesn't directly interact with the passengers, but is surely noticed by them. Especially when he leans over the railing of the barge to growl back at a tiger that passes close by. When he returns to pacing around the deck, his face is all smiles.

Then, just when it begins to seem that their destination will never come into view, it does. The town is even smaller than he'd been led to believe, but at least it doesn't appear boring: a crowd is gathered in the center of the village. Ara, having been raised in the homogeneous cultural environment of the Moonwood, does not recognize the gathering as a skirmish, but simply as a crowd. He leaps on top of the barge railing, balancing precariously to get a better look. "Looks like a festival? Maybe we're too late and the other group Eladara mentioned already got here and set everything straight?"

'Well drat. I was kind of looking forward to seeing goblins and these Malar followers. Lots of goblin stories growing up, but never seen one. And these Malar guys I'd never even heard of until Eladara.'

Ara drops back to the deck and begins to gather his things in preparation to disembark. 'Still, this whole area's new to me. And I can't say no to a festival!'
__________________

Posting Status: Delayed, see here
Recruiting: Hell is for Heroes | Playing: Sky Cities of Magida, Tangled Web, Pirates of Drinax
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-25-2014, 11:41 PM
bigAl's Avatar
bigAl bigAl is offline
The Seventh Samurai
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-02-2018
RPXP: 1441
bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl bigAl
Posts: 1,845
Allyx WormwordAfter a few attempts to engage some of the other passengers Allyx came to the conclusion that no one seemed willing to talk to him so he continued playing on his piccolo. The slow ride down the river lulled him into a half-asleep sort of reverie, and he was startled out of it by the shriek of one of the passengers. He jumped up and ran over to see what head caused the disturbance. On the shore in the middle of a handful of huts there was a skirmish, and obvious brawl was taking place and Allyx squinted his eyes trying to make out who or what the combatants were. He looks around at the others that had been with him at the meeting with Eladara and says [say]We must be prepared to settle this dispute, try to identify the villagers and get them out of harm's way.[say]

He readied his crossbow and looked again at the fighting
Dice perception:
d20 1
trying to discern if they might be cultists of Malar.
__________________
Funes Borghieri | Goya Yarrow
"The history of all hitherto existing societies is the history of class struggles." Bards are best.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-26-2014, 10:59 PM
jbear's Avatar
jbear jbear is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-14-2019
RPXP: 13038
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
Posts: 8,714
"Thank Moradin's Beard we are here" muttered Hogart as he staggered to his feet looking rather green around the gills. "Get me back to my sweet and steady earth." He stumbled over to rail and managed to catch himself and remain standing. The barge was not rolling in any way to such a degree to warrant such an exaggerated motion, but the swaying seemed very real in the dwarf's mind. "Looks like someone is about to start fisticuffs" he commented peering towards the slowly approaching hamlet. "So, we meet the wolves before we meet the the green skins, perhaps?"
Dice Perception:
1d20+2 (19)+2 Total = 21
Dice Insight:
1d20+4 (5)+4 Total = 9
Squinting he tried to get a read on what exactly was going on and who was who in he altercation.
__________________
"Kill them all!"

Last edited by jbear; 09-26-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-27-2014, 12:35 PM
Inuvash255's Avatar
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 is offline
Level 30 Commoner
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-02-2019
RPXP: 3604
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
Posts: 2,861
Varis spent much of his time on the boat resting, humming, and singing. Together with the piccolo player, the time on barge was a fairly musical trip. Others on the ship began to speak of seeing their destination, and Varis came up behind them to see the view.

"A festival?" the monk repeated, "It doesn't appear to be a celebration. The situation looks tense."

"The dwarf is right on this one- looks like a fight. I don't see weapons, though- lest they be blunts like clubs."

He noted that the dwarf was squinting hard to see what was going on out in the town.

"Hogart!" He called, "What do your dwarf eyes see?"
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-01-2014, 12:21 PM
BrokenPlayer's Avatar
BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer is offline
Come here often?
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-05-2018
RPXP: 4570
BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer BrokenPlayer
Posts: 5,995
Thank you, Mielikki, Barric thought as he spotted the small hamlet of homes coming into view, and with that: ground. But what came into view soon thereafter troubled him, for Barric had also taken notice of a small gathering of people that did not look too friendly--not friendly at all.

"Looks like trouble," the Wood Elf added to the conversation as he Perception,
Dice Roll:
1d20+4 (6)+4 Total = 10
tried to see what was going on.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:27 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB