Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons 5e > Dawn of Adventure
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 09-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1380
JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor
Hello!
Old 09-08-2014, 12:10 PM
A is for ASSKICKING!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9935
XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor
Hey Jim! Welcome to the game and group 1, including yours truly
Old 09-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Podcast Fiend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 148
Phisto Phisto
How do you do that cool thing where words are linked to a roll? I don't remember seeing that in the roll command section.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:14 PM
A is for ASSKICKING!

Tools
User Statistics
XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor
It's the T's on a red circle symbol you use for that. You'd have to type the dice code, though.

I think that's what you meant...

Last edited by XQbitor; 09-08-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Podcast Fiend

Tools
User Statistics
Phisto Phisto
Yup that is what I was talking about!
Old 09-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21163
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
If you ever wonder how some sort of formatting is done, you can also click the quote button on the bottom of a post, and it will copy the post into the reply window. Then you can look at all the coding they used.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Podcast Fiend

Tools
User Statistics
Phisto Phisto
Well that is certainly good to know.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:25 PM
A is for ASSKICKING!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRazor View Post
Let's see what luck gets me. If I don't like the stat array I get, I think I'll go with the standard array.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cidolfas View Post
Also once you roll, you must take the roll and no longer the standard array. It’s the price of possibly rolling excellent modifiers, otherwise everyone would roll.
Sorry Jim, I guess you missed Cid's thought on rolls and standard array. But at least you're only one point below the standard, if that is any consolation.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Sometimes, I eat cake

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6040
DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster
... Not a particularly inspiring post on my part. I blame it on not being in my character's headspace yet. :/

Posting Status: Delayed, see here
Recruiting: Hell is for Heroes | Playing: Sky Cities of Magida, Tangled Web, Pirates of Drinax
Old 09-08-2014, 04:07 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMavster View Post
... Not a particularly inspiring post on my part. I blame it on not being in my character's headspace yet. :/
You know, I have come to the conclusion that I'd much rather have ANY post than no post at all. Maybe Cid is different, so I won't presume to speak for him. In the games I've run or played in, I've found that slow down is what kills them, not lack of literary quality. If people are posting, the game is moving forward, and momentum can carry a game past dull or uninspired parts. A game has a natural ebb and flow, and you need a moving current to avoid stagnation.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1380
JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor
Quote:
Originally Posted by XQbitor View Post
Sorry Jim, I guess you missed Cid's thought on rolls and standard array. But at least you're only one point below the standard, if that is any consolation.
Didn't know that. If I'd known he'd ruled that, I wouldn't have rolled in the first place...
Old 09-08-2014, 04:43 PM
Sometimes, I eat cake

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6040
DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Pond View Post
You know, I have come to the conclusion that I'd much rather have ANY post than no post at all. Maybe Cid is different, so I won't presume to speak for him. In the games I've run or played in, I've found that slow down is what kills them, not lack of literary quality. If people are posting, the game is moving forward, and momentum can carry a game past dull or uninspired parts. A game has a natural ebb and flow, and you need a moving current to avoid stagnation.
I guess I have to agree with this. It's just that the other game I'm in (failed Hall of Fame game, Feel free to vote for it next year everyone! Distorted Keep) has been running for nearly 3 years and my posts there are much Now, anyway. A year ago and I was posting just a few sentences, but several times a day. o_Omore involved. Starting a new game feels almost awkward. o_O

Eh, just rambling now.

Posting Status: Delayed, see here
Recruiting: Hell is for Heroes | Playing: Sky Cities of Magida, Tangled Web, Pirates of Drinax
Old 09-08-2014, 05:29 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
I've been in a few games where the post rate was about 1/month, but they were mini-novels each time. It worked because the DMs were professional writers, as well as great DMs and they both gave me a ton to work with. Despite the slow post rate, it never felt stale or dull. Tension was always high. Those games eventually died too, I think due to the DMs real life getting in the way. I know those sorts of 'slow' games can work. I can't pull them off as a DM though, I know my limitations. My general philosophy is to have fun. If you enjoy writing, then write! If not, I won't judge. Sometimes I'm in the mood to sit down and craft something interesting, and sometimes I'm just trying not to be the guy everybody is waiting for.

Last edited by Still_Pond; 09-08-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:05 PM
TGWTWSA

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7727
Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas
JimRazor - Not trying to be a mean GM off the bat, but I have it in the rules so I'm going to say you keep your rolls. As stated, they aren't that far off anyway.

And I fully agree with SP. Part of the reason games fail is players try to craft the perfect post, leading to more pressure on themselves than necessary. It also leads to everyone waiting on someone else for the perfect time to intervene. Strong posts will come as you get into the character and begin to work off of each other, but starting a bit more simply isn't a bad thing at all. That said, I'd prefer not to see many two line posts unless a combat post is quickly needed. As for posting rate, typically 3/week is a solid pace but it is mostly group dependent. If everyone can remain invested but post slower if often leads to better laid out posts, but others like a rapid pace so it remains fresh.

All told this game will be up to you guys, though I won't promise a post per day.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Podcast Fiend

Tools
User Statistics
Phisto Phisto
And boom! Just like that my sheet is done for Deradros.