RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Dawn of Adventure
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-08-2014, 12:24 AM
Cidolfas's Avatar
Cidolfas Cidolfas is offline
TGWTWSA
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-04-2016
RPXP: 7727
Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas
Posts: 5,418
Bandits and Loot (Group 1)

Eladara looked at the odd assortment of individuals with a slight smile on her face. All were accounted for, as she surely would have expected. Oftentimes the promise of riches and treasures are enough to sway adventures but it was far from a certainty. One would have to imagine her reaction would have been quite different had the numbers been fewer, but the chances of that were always slim. Gold and jewels can go a long way.

The fair lady pulled her cloak tighter as the wind kicked up. They were underneath a rocky overhang not far from the city of Silverymoon. It was safer to meet there, it was assumed, away from prying ears. It was not yet winter, there was still a couple tendays for that, but even in the fall it could become uncomfortably cold when the sun dropped below the skyline.

Who Eladara was and how she came across the information she had was subject to many rumors in the various taverns and seedy pubs adventurers frequented within the Silver Marshes. Many of the tales included a bit of sexual promiscuity or overt flirtation, but upon meeting the pretty lass it seemed a bit unlikely. More likely the braggarts spread tales of their fantasies instead. A more plausible explanation was the talk of her connection to the rejuvenated Zhentarim. Could she possibly be one of them?

She waited for the wind to die down before beginning. “It seems you have all found my notes,” Eladara said. Somehow all had been slipped a piece of parchment with a note on the front and map on the back. “A pricey reward for recovery of a family heirloom, with further recovery potential.” Gold and gems were drawn on the parchment, colored with various dyes. It didn’t include more details, but was as good a prospect as a down on their luck treasure seeker could find without further connections. Thus the odd collection of individuals gathered to at the very least gain a bit more information.

“Not two moons past a decently wealthy merchant came to me in a frenzy. It seemed his caravan from Everlund, his hometown, was raided by bandits and on it were some irreplaceable heirlooms. Normally this would be of no interest, except these bandits have picked up few items that could be very useful in certain hands. The raid occurred three days out from here by foot, and word is their base is not far from there. The peacekeepers of Silverymoon intend to send troops out any day, but I want you guys to get there first. Questions?” She finished the tale and waited for the what was like to be the usual set of inquiries into the job, handling the whole situation with experience.
__________________
After some time away, looking to get back into gaming here.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-08-2014, 01:49 AM
Phisto's Avatar
Phisto Phisto is offline
Podcast Fiend
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 11-29-2015
RPXP: 148
Phisto Phisto
Posts: 159
As he stood there amid the rocky crag, cold wind biting at his body although dulled by the clothes he wears, he wondered why he had come. The note that had lead him to this place and time was crumpled in his pocket where he had stuffed it hours ago. He studied the woman as she spoke before glancing to the others. Of the people gathered here he felt like the odd man out. Despite the large sword strapped to his back it seemed almost too large for his form. He did not possess the large frame or massive muscles that were often attributed to the wielders of such a blade.

His hand raises to scratch at his beard as he tried to take in everything she said, losing himself to his thoughts, as primitive as they are. This seemed like a rather straight forward case of going to retrieve stolen goods from bandits, something that he had done twice before when his need for coin had grown, much like it was now. At least that is what he was thinking until she mentioned that Silverymoon was going to be sending troops out to find it but she wanted this group to beat them to it. He found it weird that the city was going to send a force out, it should have been a key piece of the puzzle but he was far too stupid to pick up on it.

So for now he would remain silent as he waits for the others to say the concerns he was too slow to pick up on. If they seemed ok with this task he would follow along but if the group seemed put off by it then he would likewise leave. He had spent to many years away from society and the machinations of normal people and as such he was always unclear as to how he should act in these situations. He wondered if the man the note was originally for would have something to say at this juncture. It was no use worrying about it now. The man, Gregor he said his name was, wasn't saying much these days.
__________________
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
Dungeons & Diatribes
Geek the Mage
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-08-2014, 09:15 AM
Clockwerk66's Avatar
Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-25-2019
RPXP: 883
Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66
Posts: 1,430
Kriv, the sneaky dragonborn, twirled a dagger in his left hand as he listened intently to Eladara's tale regarding stolen heirlooms. Roguish work in Silverymoon had been in short supply the past couple of days, and he was eager to accept the invitation provided to him. From behind his bone-carved mask, he looked upon the female with curiosity, before making some inquiries.

"Well, that a problem this merchant seems to have there, lass. Don't suppose you'd have a bit more information in regards to who these bandits are? Not that I personally care, but it never hurts to know who you're going after, you know?"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-08-2014, 05:49 PM
XQbitor's Avatar
XQbitor XQbitor is offline
A is for ASSKICKING!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 03-11-2019
RPXP: 9935
XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor
Posts: 3,630
How fitting darkness is for us Drow. It hides us when we plot, cover the unseen blade we wield and shields us when we retreat. It is no wonder many cultures and societies fear the dark and what it brings.

The Drow leaned against a tree's trunk with her hood pulled over her head, masking her features. Her arms were crossed in a nonchalant manner while she listened to this human woman. Despite the tolerance towards unusual races of questionable moral standards in Silverymoon, Sabriia had to intentions to reveal what she was. So had it been since she reached the town. At first she tried to ask around town if they knew of a merchant who had courted a Drow priestess twenty years ago. But it had either made the folk shake their heads or question her why she needed to know. She didn't lose hope, but it started to bring her unwanted attention, so she sought the Thieves Guild in Silverymoon for help. They would help. For a price Sabriia couldn't pay. So when she received a parchment with the promise of riches a few days after she came to Silverymoon, she decided to find out more.

Sabriia glanced around at the attended adventurers. A Halfling, a devilborn, a Human and a Dragonborn. She knew none of them with the exception of the Dragonborn. Well, not 'know' know, as she had merely seen him skulk around Silverymoon for the Thieves Guild. We both are in the same business, but does that make him an ally or a foe? she mused.

She listened to their employer's dilemma and about the guards delay. Sabriia frowned beneath her dark hood: The concept of guards enforcing the community was foreign for the Drow girl. It was much different than in Menzoberranzan, where the guards of the houses enforce their laws.
"What 'heirlooms' are we to retrieve?" she asked softly, but sternly. "And what would you have us do with these bandits?"
__________________
Oath of Sancus
DM'ing: 'Thy Soul to Keep'
Status: After a year of hiatus, I'm slowly returning
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-08-2014, 11:47 PM
JimRazor's Avatar
JimRazor JimRazor is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 03-13-2017
RPXP: 1380
JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor
Posts: 2,767
"And, Miss, if I'm not too bold," the tiefling's Heartlands accent tinged with Calimshite, though ever suave as the young Amnon had learned to be "What manner of heirloom draws your desire that you'd rather have it afore the guards of Silverymoon learn of it? Our discretion is unquestionable, of course..." At the end of the question, the tiefling's lips drew themselves into a sly smile, slightly pointed canines white against the reddish hues of his skin. His tail whipped a little lazily behind him, and his horns peeked out from under the hat he wore.

The flyer he had found in the small little room he managed to find in Silverymoon (on the great favor of a merchant who happened to be away, but whose daughter let him stay in for a few songs and tales from Baldur's Fate) had indeed surprised him, but there was little honest work for a "devil-born" nearly anywhere civilized, and the promise of wealth had caught his immediate interest.

Sure, he'd been a little confused finding his way around - Amnon was born in the cities, and used to them, so the wilderness had befuddled him a little - but he'd gotten there at a reasonable hour. His cloak was wrapped tightly about him, Amnon was still a striking figure, and possessed a brightness in his eyes that was somewhat intoxicating. If it were not for his obvious fiendish heritage, some might even publicly claim he was very attractive - but given his apparent heritage, such opinions were generally never voiced. Few would ever admit to trusting a tiefling, the blood of a fiend in his veins. But maybe some fame as an adventurer would change their tune...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-09-2014, 02:58 AM
hippo's Avatar
hippo hippo is offline
Oblivious Flame Hippo
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 11-17-2019
RPXP: 6335
hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo
Posts: 4,078
A quiet cough drifts into the silence left by the tielfling's implied trustworthiness. "What else should we know about our merchant patron?" asks the diminutive cloaked female. "And what about his enemies whose hands the heirlooms should not reach?"

Varleigh glances around at her companions, very much at a loss for exactly how she finds herself in with this crowd. Her responsibilities as a collector for the Vault, and her own private collection efforts, lead her to some interesting places and dubious persons. Her private reputation has clearly grown to be considered for a special operation such as this.

But what unique capabilities she brings to the party is yet to be seen. The drow and draconic clearly have the traditional stealth and thievery corner covered. The lithe but uncouth human is the muscle. The trustworthy tielfling shows leadership possibilities and promises arcane and divine support.

The scarred halfling shrugs. Her nose for ferreting out secrets and her burgeoning arcane capabilities would have to serve. She will just have to do some digging - starting with their employer.
__________________
hippo has returned! (October 2019)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-09-2014, 10:28 PM
Cidolfas's Avatar
Cidolfas Cidolfas is offline
TGWTWSA
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-04-2016
RPXP: 7727
Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas Cidolfas
Posts: 5,418
Eladara did not bat an eye at the inquiries, her eyes shifting from one member of the group to another. It seemed very much like she was taking their measure yet not revealing for what. At least not yet.

“The bandits,” she began, “have caused the area a bit of worry for a few cycles of the moon now. But something seems different, as though they are driven by specific targets and not just random caravans passing through. Their identities, numbers and leaders we know far little about. So far as we know their fighting skills remain untested.”

“And you can do with the cretins as you see fit. The heirlooms are set of crude looking silver rings and other jewelry. Their worth in coin is rather minimal. But it is not that I want you to seek. There are a set of five amethyst gems with various runes on them, and the bandits are said to be in possession of three now. I know not if they are aware of what they have, though I fear they know. Unfortunately that is all I can share about them now for fear of word getting out.”

“As for the merchant,” she shrugged. “He is a typical person of his profession, willing to pay coin to get what he wants. That is really all I care about at this point. If the rumor of the gems proves false then you shall still be rewarded well.” She finished the responses and waited to see if there were more questions posed by the group.
__________________
After some time away, looking to get back into gaming here.

Last edited by Cidolfas; 09-09-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Clockwerk66's Avatar
Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-25-2019
RPXP: 883
Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66
Posts: 1,430
Kriv tilted his reptilian head upward, noticing that Eladara seemed to place particular importance on the five amethysts, without actually elaborating on why. Not that he wasn't used to secrets, of course, but the amethysts piqued his curiosity nonetheless. With that in mind, the dragonborn attempted to inquire a bit further.

"Hmm...the way you talk about them, these amethysts sound awfully important", Kriv says, as he continues to idly play with his lone, unsheathed dagger. "Ya sure you can't tell us a little bit more about them? You have my word that I won't tell anyone else. Rogue's honor."

Dice Persuasion:
1d20+2 (15)+2 Total = 17
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-10-2014, 06:24 PM
XQbitor's Avatar
XQbitor XQbitor is offline
A is for ASSKICKING!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 03-11-2019
RPXP: 9935
XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor
Posts: 3,630
A soft snicker rose from behind the Dragonborn. Sabriiakiira's shoulders gently bounced in a soft chuckle as she looked amused at the rogue and his antics. "Rogue's honor? The only thing a scoundrel can promise is that things will disappear around him if it is not bolted to the floor. Show some professionalism, Dragonborn. If it's not important for us to know, it's not worth sharing. Not that we won't find out anyway"

The Drow stood up from her tree - it was still a strange thing to see when you are used to see forests of towering mushrooms in the Underdark - and walked up besides Kriv. The pale moon that shined underneath the rocky overhang illuminated her leather armor and hood, but not what hid inside its darkness. "We have answered your message, but you know nothing of your possible employees. So allow me to introduce myself. I am Sabriiakiira. You may call me Sabriia."
__________________
Oath of Sancus
DM'ing: 'Thy Soul to Keep'
Status: After a year of hiatus, I'm slowly returning

Last edited by XQbitor; 09-17-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Phisto's Avatar
Phisto Phisto is offline
Podcast Fiend
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 11-29-2015
RPXP: 148
Phisto Phisto
Posts: 159
While he had remained silent allowing the others to make vocal the questions that tumbled through his head, it seemed that they were not going to continue to delve into the same inquiries that he pondered. It seems he would have to do it himself. "What is the pay?" He was rather curious as to what the amount would be as it would dictate how long he could last before having to return to these types of jobs. To say that he was not a fan of them would be a grand understatement. Getting his hands dirty in this manner was a road lined with thorns. All to often he would reach the end with blood on him.

With his first question asked he would not wait for her to answer him before proceeding to ask his second one, he figured he would just get them all out of the way now. "Is there other things out there or is it just bandits and cretins?" He was not an educated man by any means, his life had foreseen to his lack of proper learning. He was often confused or thrown off by words that people used, some times he would ask for clarification, mostly if he had nothing to go off of. This was not one of those cases. Judging the connotation used and the rest of the sentence that surrounded the word he was under the impression that a cretin was some sort of beast that he had not encounter (to his knowledge), most likely a goblin of some sort.

Yet that was not the last question he would ask. Once again barely giving a breaths pause between the two. "Why can he not wait for watchman to bring back the amahthists? What do they look like? Are they big like my fist? Are they the colour of the grass or water? What do these runes look like?" A flurry of questions would begin to flow like the pent up water behind a dam being set loose.
__________________
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
Dungeons & Diatribes
Geek the Mage
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Clockwerk66's Avatar
Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-25-2019
RPXP: 883
Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66
Posts: 1,430
Kriv glared at Sabriiakiira with an annoyed expression through his bone mask, as the drow seemed to be talking down to him. Obviously he knew that people of his profession had a bit if a...reputation, but that didn't justify painting them all with the same brush. "Now hold on there, Miss Dark-and-Mysterious!", the dragonborn replied. "Just 'cause I sneak around a lot doesn't mean that I can't show a little honor now and then! It's all a matter of when and how you show it."

Last edited by Clockwerk66; 09-11-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-11-2014, 07:00 PM
JimRazor's Avatar
JimRazor JimRazor is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 03-13-2017
RPXP: 1380
JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor JimRazor
Posts: 2,767
Amnon merely frowned slightly at the argument that had begun to break out amongst the group. That was no good. Putting his hands up between the two, he gave them both rather dangerous looks. "Please, no fighting." Amnon said a little curtly, sharp teeth flashing wickedly in the moonlight. "Petulance does not become a sellsword. Besides, the matter of pay, as our dear swordsman brings up, has yet to be discussed." Glancing between all involved, before giving the fair Eladara her due as the employer, Amnon explained to my bad. Sorry bout the mix upDeradros, "An amethyst is a purple jewel. And one the size of your fist would be quite a jewel indeed. And it would greatly help to know why the jewel is so coveted, and what you are willing to pay for it, Lady Eladara." He finished with a courteous half-bow to the beautiful woman who had called the gathering. Hopefully the others in this misbegotten group would understand courtesy at the very least. It was one of the first things the courtesans had taught him as a child.

OOCNot to be finicky here, but no-one knows Sabriia is a (half-)drow yet. So... not sure how Kriv has marked her as a dark elf already, given she's been described solely as keeping to the shadows and for moving with an elven grace.

Last edited by JimRazor; 09-11-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Phisto's Avatar
Phisto Phisto is offline
Podcast Fiend
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 11-29-2015
RPXP: 148
Phisto Phisto
Posts: 159
OOC Just making sure there is no confusion, the man with the large sword is not Gregor. Gregor was the name of man the note was originally delivered to. The man with the large sword and lack of education has yet to introduce himself but is actually named Deradros.
__________________
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
Dungeons & Diatribes
Geek the Mage
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-11-2014, 08:25 PM
Clockwerk66's Avatar
Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-25-2019
RPXP: 883
Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66 Clockwerk66
Posts: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRazor View Post
OOCNot to be finicky here, but no-one knows Sabriia is a (half-)drow yet. So... not sure how Kriv has marked her as a dark elf already, given she's been described solely as keeping to the shadows and for moving with an elven grace.
OOCWhoops...forgot about that.

I've just edited my most recent post to reflect that Kriv doesn't actually know that stuff yet.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-12-2014, 12:01 PM
hippo's Avatar
hippo hippo is offline
Oblivious Flame Hippo
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 11-17-2019
RPXP: 6335
hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo hippo
Posts: 4,078
Varleigh nods and smiles knowingly, sure of her place now. Their lady patron uses the cover of the merchant's mission for her own purposes. She is quite familiar with such operations, having undertaken quite a few in the Vaults herself. Her eyes Shh - secrets! catch and hold Eladara's for a moment before she speaks.

"What precautions need to be taken for the care and handling of these gems?" the halfling asks. "Any special containment needed for their safety? Or ours?"
__________________
hippo has returned! (October 2019)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB