RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder > Alkenstar: The Awakening
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 02-09-2018, 12:34 PM
Pendragon's Avatar
Pendragon Pendragon is offline
Pendragons at Work
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-17-2018
RPXP: 6386
Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon
Posts: 4,392
Tyrycho's ExitTyrycho made it half way across the parade grounds before his stomach twisted into knots and the realization of what he had to do sunk in. He was about to possibly die to solve a mystery for some business interest. It may lay to rest the souls that had been lost, but was he really that kind of "hero"? The answer came to him suddenly and was accompanied by bile and he got sick onto the hard pack.

He was by no means a coward, but this was suicide in his mind and as he wiped his mouth he looked up and said, "I can't do it."

OOCThis is your set up GT. Walk the poor boy back and bring out the other two while everyone gets acquainted with their horses and mounts up.
__________________
>.< The struggle is real, but I am around for the long haul.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-12-2018, 06:54 PM
Grogg Tree's Avatar
Grogg Tree Grogg Tree is offline
Wood he do it?!?
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-15-2019
RPXP: 16937
Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree
Posts: 17,361
Sitting upon Jewel, the midwife watched the scuttling about of the help. Wow, I didn't think that we'd see this much assistance in getting going. It's kind of awe-inspiring... Looking over the various adventurers, something didn't sit right with Miriam. Wasn't there a couple more guys that were supposed to be with us? Suddenly, she spied Tyrycho vomiting and quickly hopped off her horse, with her feet hitting heavy.

*Fffffpp*

"Tyrycho, are you okay?!?" she quickly expresses, rushing over to the man with the low brim hat. "Come on, let's get you to a proper medic to evaluate you." Placing the man's arm over her shoulders, she leads the man slowly inside, due mainly to his waddling gait and uneasy stomach.

While insideWalking through the corridors, she leads the man towards the office of the marshal. Upon getting there, she finds a lackey to help her with the nauseous man. "I'm thinking that he is needing someone to talk to, as it seems that the man found his mortality was more important than the mission." she whispers quietly to the lackey. Nodding to Tyrycho, she allows him to be dragged away to receive the help he needs, hopefully from a man of god.

Turning to the rooms that held the other deceased individuals from the prior mission into the ruins, the midwife looks for the two taller men whose hair was held back. Spying the first one, the aristocrat, she garners his attention with her voice. "Hey, aren't you supposed to be taking the trip to Be'gadeen with us? If so, come on... the horses and carriage are waiting." Turning, the black hair cascades across her shoulders as she looks for the secondary man. Walking, she rounds a corner and finds her face quickly planted into the hulking man's unkempt beard. Staggering back, hands flailing to get the itchy hair off her face, Miriam looked up into the hard blue eyes. "Pardon me... oh, it's you! I wanted to let you know that we are getting ready to leave." Beckoning the grizzly man with her hand, she leads the pair towards the rest of the party, rubbing her slightly sore nose from the slight impact it handled upon the large man's chest.

Walking back out of the building, she once more stood in front of the dappled grey and let it know that she had returned. As the horse leaned it's head down, she scratched it behind the ear briefly. Gripping the leather horn, she heaves herself up to the saddle and looks at Beaufort. "Seems that we didn't get everyone to come out as a group. Luckily I found the remaining two that were contracted to come, which will make up for Tyrycho's now vacant spot."

-
__________________
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-13-2018, 11:59 AM
Humble Athena Humble Athena is offline
The Midnight Fairy
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-16-2019
RPXP: 30734
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
Posts: 12,898
The noble-turned-mercenary had been attempting to surreptitiously get a closer look at the dead to see if there were evidence of injury that might have been missed, needle injections or somesuch. However, the voice of a woman drew his attention. He turned and touched the brim of his hat with long, slender fingers tipped with nails that looked like polished glass. "Is it time already? Sorry, ma'am- I did not mean to inconvenience."

The slender man followed her to the front of the building, nodding to the other, hairier man with whom she collided before they all stepped out in front of the assembly. He was a strange mix of too-pretty for the road, but too dust-soaked for city living. His hat and coat were bleached of color by exposure to the elements, and while the embroidered clothing beneath had been fine once, now it was many seasons out of fashion and merely functional. Though he had the appearance of one less-than-useful, the shining curved hilt of a sword decorated one hip, balanced out by a leather-bound six-shooter on the opposite. "Again, my apologies if I have caused any delay. For those of you I haven't met, you can call me Rafe. Rafe Stone, at your service." Though he addressed each of the assembled souls, his eyes kept coming back to the pleasantly under-dressed lady in red. Damn, but there was a brightness about her in person that nearly made his eyes water. Rubbing the back of his hand across his cheek, he stepped up to the wagon and hopped inside. "I hope you all don't mind, but I'm not much for riding, and someone needs to keep an eye on the road behind!"
__________________
Catching up

Last edited by Humble Athena; 02-13-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-14-2018, 12:10 AM
AximusLokar's Avatar
AximusLokar AximusLokar is offline
Chaos Bacon Whale
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-16-2019
RPXP: 11332
AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar
Posts: 10,649
As the two new arrivals walked foward with Miriam Jozin let out a chuckle that held neither humor nor warmth. "And with that I'm part of seven, once more." he muttered under his breath.

Shaking off the sombre thoughts Jozin turned his horse around to face the new arrivals more easily and offered a small bow of his head in greetings. "Welcome, comrades. I am Jozin Karadon. Hopefully our travels will prove uneventful enough to grow better acquainted on the road."
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-18-2018, 04:09 PM
Elfman6's Avatar
Elfman6 Elfman6 is offline
knows too much
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-05-2019
RPXP: 12172
Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6
Posts: 4,127
The Ulfen man had stared down at the much smaller woman for a long moment as she startled out an apology and informed him of the group's imminent departure. There were spirits in this place; flitting in the corner of his vision. No one else saw them. It was plainly clear. Did it matter? Not really. They weren't bothering anyone. The great black crow on his shoulder shuffled back and forth, grunting at the woman. Brunthus nodded silently, twisting to the right and picking up the heavy axe set against the wall with one hand; resting it easily over his shoulder.

The harsh light of sun was not kind; not the way the dull light of the torches inside the building were. Brunthus squinted, shielding his eyes with his free hand and grimaced. The Old Gods had led him here. Up until he had seen the sickly woman, he had had no idea why. Taverns, sinkholes, pubs, bars, and dives were essentially the same from end of Golarion to the other. If his lot in life was to drink away horror, then there was no reason to ever leave the Linnorm Kings. That woman though... she bore more resemblance to the dead than the living. He looked into the cold dark eyes of the crow. "What futures have the Old Gods sent me towards" he muttered? The crow shuffled and picked at his beard.

He trudged down towards the horses, wondering if any of them could reliably hold his mass. Most of the southern horses were skinny things, built for speed and not strength. They were nothing like the horses of his homeland, massive bulky things with more muscle than brain. There was a soft clinking of glass from within his pack.

'Brunthus." He grunted, then pointed to the crow. "Frutur."

"Wark!" It was an ugly noise from the crow's throat.

"No. I doubt they are blooded."
__________________
Outplay 2011 Second Place
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-26-2018, 05:29 PM
Pendragon's Avatar
Pendragon Pendragon is offline
Pendragons at Work
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-17-2018
RPXP: 6386
Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon
Posts: 4,392
Setting OutThe corpulent lawyer eased himself into his seat behind the mules, grunting and growing with the effort to lift his large frame into the wagon, which sagged as his full weight was applied to the steel leaf springs. Setteling into the he pulled out his attache and opened it to the contract and made a note in the margin, likely in reference to the departure of Tyrycho. As the new comer climbed into the Beaufort grumbled again, "Sorry, it is hard to write dialogue for a character that doesn't live in my head yet. It will get better.I say, punctuality, it is a cog that keeps civilization from chaos. Let's have no more tardiness and make haste in our departure!"

He cleared his throat with a grunt and said, "I say, let us depart now!"

He returned his paperwork into his attache and looked expectantly at those riding lead.

Let Us DepartThe going was easy across the smooth cobbles of the city itself, the cart found the well worn grooves that led out of the city easy enough and the horses had no issue with walking the busy streets that they so often patrolled. You quickly reached the city gates and the wastes stretched on before you, cut by the winding roads that broke off in all directions. You were bound for the southwest, and from the rear of the pack Beaufort shouted directions to those riding point. By midday the riding was considerably much more demanding and the pace of the mules began to falter as the road became less defined in the scrub and dust of the wastes. Gentle sloping hills broke from the other wise flat lands and soon you found yourselves in a valley with a nearly dry stream bed running next to the road.

The horses start to whinny and nicker and you can hear and feel thuds coming up from the ground and a hoarse whisper in an unknown language. It appears that something is tracking you, something large, something doing a bad job at it.
OOCRoll perception, no one speaks the language that was being used, but knowledge local might clue you in to which language it is. You can prepare actions if you like, but other than ranged attacks the enemies will be out reach in the first round. You have about 18 seconds before actual combat starts. I will set up an encounter thread with combat details and a map shortly, if you want to wait to post until then that is fine.
__________________
>.< The struggle is real, but I am around for the long haul.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-28-2018, 05:36 AM
Vex's Avatar
Vex Vex is offline
Mindshifter
Good People
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-05-2018
RPXP: 4212
Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex
Posts: 1,664
Fight or Flight
Something was happening, something under the ground or from behind or from the front. Andri with a perception check of 2, she's happy to find her own horse under herwasn't certain. Awkwardly turning in her saddle, she calls out back: "Fight or flight, Buffy? What's the call?"

If something was coming for them, Andri's preference was to meet it on foot, not horseback, but she's happy to let the bag of money riding behind her on the cart making the call. The swordmage would protect this expedition to the best of her abilities, and she was looking forward to proving her worth on the battlefield.


 
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-28-2018, 10:02 AM
Humble Athena Humble Athena is offline
The Midnight Fairy
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-16-2019
RPXP: 30734
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
Posts: 12,898
The paradoxical gunman hadn't been much for talk unless addressed, though to his credit neither did the grating sound of snores come from the rear where he was supposed to be keeping watch. As the the ominous vibrations began to shake the wagon, a flurry of activity could be heard from where he was. The whisper- he couldn't make out the words clearly, couldn't remember what they meant after so long without use, but the intonation and the timber of the voice, combined with the ground-shaking, led him to believe he knew what was about to happen.

"Giants! Ambush!" he shouted up towards the front of the wagon. He pulled out his pistol and made sure that there was a single bullet in the chamber- giants were not something he wanted to fight up close and personal. As much as he enjoyed drawing his sword through flesh and watching blood coat the shining silver metal, a fight with giants would be no graceful dance of blades, and depending on just how big they were, vitals might be out of reach. He'd need his trusty gal for that, and it would likely be worth a small expenditure of power at the onset. "Ahead and to our right flank." he added, in case any were unaware. He slapped the chamber back in place, and laid his hand over it. In the shadow of the wagon, dribbles of blood leaked out of his eyes and rolled down his face before vaporizing into a tiny red mist of barely perceptible droplets that swarmed over the weapon, infusing it.

 
__________________
Catching up

Last edited by Humble Athena; 02-28-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-28-2018, 03:02 PM
AximusLokar's Avatar
AximusLokar AximusLokar is offline
Chaos Bacon Whale
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-16-2019
RPXP: 11332
AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar
Posts: 10,649
Steering his horse over to Beaufort's wagon he handed over the reins before dismounting himself. "If it was only the unhitched horses we might stand good odds of outrunning them, but the wagon runs a risk of falling behind. Better to choose where we fight now."

Pulling out his blade he began walking towards the hill where one set of footfalls could be heard. "Leave this one to me, I'll keep it away from the group as best I can. Dispatch the one ahead quickly and join me. I have confidence in my ability to dodge such an unbalanced fighter, but not forever."

No particular prep beyond draw weapon (free as part of move) and enter my Ascetic Snake stance (free), but I will be moving towards the giant over the hill to put some distance between where I fight it and the caravan.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-28-2018, 03:48 PM
Elfman6's Avatar
Elfman6 Elfman6 is offline
knows too much
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-05-2019
RPXP: 12172
Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6
Posts: 4,127
Glowering was the apt description for Brunthus as they rode. Even before they had left the even gait of the cobblestones for rougher terrain, the long forgotten novelty of riding a horse had soured as the equine's movements beneath him caused discomfort. He had walked leagues on his own two feet with less pain. He wore boots as an afterthought; his feet craggy and hard as iron. He should have just walked. This was a pain in the ass. The ulfen man stretched and cracked his neck, disturbing Frutur with the movement. The crow squawked at him as he did so, beating it's wings against his head as it shuffled along his shoulder.

Retrieving his canteen, Brunthus took a long swig from the container, shaking it to get that last few drops of liquid from it's prison. Carefully, he recapped it and dropped it; letting the strap pull tight against his neck for a brief instant before the canteen settled against his side with a rhythmic bounce. It was at that moment that his horse's ears perked towards the right and then shied left. "Bah, pay attention to where you're going you ninny beast" Brunthus growled at it. He barely heard Rafe's call from the back of the wagon, but it was enough. With a nary a change of expression, he pulled the mighty two-handed axe from it's resting spot along the horse and looked from side to side.

 
__________________
Outplay 2011 Second Place
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-01-2018, 08:16 AM
Vex's Avatar
Vex Vex is offline
Mindshifter
Good People
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-05-2018
RPXP: 4212
Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex Vex
Posts: 1,664
Andri was delighted when the group decided to meet the foe head on. She was even more delighted to get out of her mare's saddle, stretching herself with an audible pop and crackle. even over the giants' noisy approach. "Alright, beefcake, but take care there's something left for us to rescue", she cheerfully shouts after Jozin once she was on the ground, affectionally trying to fend of her mare's attempts to get a parting bite in.

Using the remaining time until the giants were in sight, Andri made sure to tie her horse to the wagon. She was under no illusion being able to recapture Button, and while riding wasn't something coming naturally to her, the magus had little desire to walk the rest of the way to the ruins.

"Bring it on, big ones!", she challenged the unseen creatures with a grin, clearly spoiling for a fight, not even bothering to draw her wicked-looking twin-blade.

 
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-04-2018, 04:25 PM
Grogg Tree's Avatar
Grogg Tree Grogg Tree is offline
Wood he do it?!?
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-15-2019
RPXP: 16937
Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree Grogg Tree
Posts: 17,361
As the sounds of thudding and thumping seemed to echo around the travelers, followed by the odd, loud whispering sound, a shiver ran up Miriam's spine. Oh boy, what did I sign up for? The sun was bright enough to keep her from seeing any other creatures around them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
"Giants! Ambush!"
That phrase sent goosebumps across the midwife's arms and neck. Guess I got my answer. Looking to those around her, their action helped steel her resolve. I may not be the best for fighting, but I refuse to run away. Plus they may need my limited knowledge of how to properly apply a bandage if this goes bad. Hopping off the horse, Miriam wanted to avoid showing she wasn't the best rider if Jewel got spooked.

Running her fingers along her sleeves, the woman tried to further help fortify the minds of the others. "Pharasma, today is not the day to call those of us seeking the mysteries of the ruins. Instead, please look favorably upon the fact we will be providing you giants in place of our souls. If you find this to be an acceptable trade, help boost the morale of those seeking to assist in this endeavor." Slipping her hand into the pocket on her waist, the dark haired woman pulled out a dagger in preparation for the worst, in case the others didn't feel the impact of her words.

 

-
__________________
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-07-2018, 06:47 PM
Pendragon's Avatar
Pendragon Pendragon is offline
Pendragons at Work
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-17-2018
RPXP: 6386
Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon
Posts: 4,392
CombatThe giants stand up coming to their full towering height, the stench of their unwashed bodies assaults your nostrils now that the winds aren't blowing favorably. The ugly humanoids are likely after the horse and mule flesh that you are parading through the Mana Wastes. It is a common occurrence in these parts and a report will likely be issued by Beaufort on the topic to the shieldmarshals.

"So bold and so close to our wonderful city Alkenstar, I say, we must dispatch these vile excuses for folks and do the entirety of Alkenstar a great service," the corpulent bureaucrat blustered from his lofty perch on the cart. He threaded the reins and tied them off and applied the breaks to the cart. The remainder of the time before the giants approached was spent working himself down form the cart.

Pyrrha, riding point was soon face to face with the foul monster. Her false flames flickered brightly in her anger. Targeting those that you felt you had the advantage over was against her moral compass, she understood the why of the situation, but it did not make the how of it any easier to handle. The giants should not be allowed to harass travelers and if the only way to teach them this hard lesson was to fight them, then that is just what must be done. She turned her horse and rode to the cart, tying up the reins and dismounting. She then walked back toward the front of the group her fists clenched and ready to strike.

The larger male giant had found a boulder and was hefting it with one hand and dragging his tree trunk of a club behind him. It was at this point that he decided that the animals were not going to be given up easily and after a brief grunt in the giant language he launched the boulder toward the group.

The boulder fell just short of Jozin and kicked up a mote of dust. The Hill Giant cursed and gripped his club, ready to advance on the group. Meanwhile on the female was now on the other side of the group, her club gripped in both hands and just steps away from raining down ruin on the group.

OOCMake sure you move your tokens on the map when you post. It will keep people from making errors with area effects.
__________________
>.< The struggle is real, but I am around for the long haul.

Last edited by Pendragon; 03-08-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-08-2018, 12:31 PM
Humble Athena Humble Athena is offline
The Midnight Fairy
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-16-2019
RPXP: 30734
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
Posts: 12,898
Seeing the threats both lay fairly ahead of them, and none behind, Raphael hopped down from the wagon, squinting against the light. He turned towards the noise and moved up to where he could line up a shot easier, without worrying about the lawyer waddling into his bullet's trajectory. He raised up his left arm and braced the revolver against his sleeve, glad that the giant creature at least made a fairly good target, even with his eyes watering from the brightness of day. As his finger tensed on the trigger, he reached for the elusive power, and a dribble more of blood oozed from his eyes, turned to fine droplets, and infused the barrel with a red glow. Double-checking the sights, he squeezed, and the glow followed the bullet as it spun through the air towards the she-giant.

 
__________________
Catching up
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-08-2018, 04:15 PM
Elfman6's Avatar
Elfman6 Elfman6 is offline
knows too much
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-05-2019
RPXP: 12172
Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6
Posts: 4,127
Brunthus crinkled his nose as the giants came into view. The smell was bad, horrifically bad. And yet, it was not the worst thing he had ever smelt. There were stronger contenders by far. The impact of the boulder sent a wave of dust and grit into the air; forcing the grump to shield his eyes with his arm. ''Blech!" Brunthus spit a glob of phlegm into the ground as Furtur complained, taking wing to sit and observe from the roof of the wagon. Through the haze of the dust, he glared at the closest giant. "Alright ya noisy muckrucker. Shut yer yap and take a nap."

 
__________________
Outplay 2011 Second Place
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:28 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB