twitter facebook

Notices

Old Mar 11th, 2021, 10:58 AM
Make me unknowing

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3791
Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder Baxder
I haven't started yet, either. I want to finish King's 11/22/63 before I get into this one, which should be a quickie. I was reading the King (in paperback) along with The Road (on Kindle), but "Being" isn't available on Kindle, so I'd have to read two paperbacks simultaneously. For some reason, I can't get my head around reading two books in the same medium at the same time. I should be done with 11/22/63 by next week.
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 02:31 PM
Literal Worm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5691
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
I listened up to part 3 or 4 on audio book but struggling to find somethign to say about it to start of conversation! (Lockdown social skills sap; activate!) Also still adjusitng to the audiobook format I think! Either way it is nice to be reading something a bit differnet, still undecided about my opinon of it! I seesaw!

Last edited by Wishkamon; Mar 11th, 2021 at 02:43 PM.
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 11:56 PM
Let's Be Strange

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4107
Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec
Maybe during this book club reading, we can just sit in the veranda with glasses of carbernet and chortle at each other's jokes.

That being said, I am excited to see what you all have to say about this one. I'm always excited to see what others have to say about the books I'm reading. Especially interesting people like yourselves.
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 02:44 PM
Rhymes with 'frothers'

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6343
bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers
Right, I've just opened the book up to the first page and the very first sentence has the word "Nietzsche" in it, so I can see this one isn't going to help with the "existentialism burnout" issue that I mentioned the other week, lol. But I've got a huge glass of Riesling, a free evening, and some sudden fresh motivation, so let's see how I get on.

God, I hate existentialism. I feel like the only thing more pointless than existence is agonising over the pointlessness of it. I've still got Camus' The Myth of Sisyphus sitting on my "to read this month" pile across the room and I want to take it outside and drop it in the compost. But I shall persevere! I've got my Riesling! I've got my- oh, god, I'm just getting on with it. Wish me luck.
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 04:03 PM
Literal Worm

Tools
User Statistics
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
Yes the first part might be taxing for you Bothers ^^;

I know I missed out on High Fidelity, but I'm feeling like there should be a vote on which book's protagonist is more of a ******bag?

Last edited by Wishkamon; Mar 22nd, 2021 at 04:07 PM.
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 04:33 PM
Let's Be Strange

Tools
User Statistics
Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec Lashiec
Every time I read something remotely existentialist now, it embarrasses me a bit. I was all about this kind of stuff in late high school and college when I was trying my damnedest to be a pretentious intellectual. I only succeeded with one of those words.

That being said, I do think this book has its moments.

My vote for ******baggery still goes to Rob, though.

Last edited by Lashiec; Mar 22nd, 2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 11:10 AM
Let's Be Strange

Tools
User Statistics
Update: I just got to the part in Lightness and Weight that might make me change my mind about that vote.
Old Mar 31st, 2021, 05:35 PM
Rhymes with 'frothers'

Tools
User Statistics
bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers bothers
So I was just thinking that maybe it'd be easier if we only had one thread per book, and had people use spoilerbuttons, instead of breaking it up into multiple threads? My reasoning:

1. I always miss the new threads when they go up because I've favourited the book club forum, but I don't get new threads in my subscriptions list, so they're a bit less obvious
2. Seems like a non-trivial amount of work for Baxder to create the threads on schedule and copypaste all the info and move them into the archive folder etc etc at the end
3. If I don't remember to post in the thread for the relevant section at the right time, I kind of forget what happened in the section that's supposed to be under discussion... and I think that might have also happened here too, because we're all talking about the book in the general discussion, while the individual threads remain bare
4. Maybe a bit daunting to be the first person posting in a whole new thread? Especially for me where it's a bit like "well it is the BOOK CLUB so I have to try to say something intelligent", but if there's already a few posts then I feel like less of a try-hard.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 11:24 AM
Make me unknowing

Tools
User Statistics
That format was kind of a pacing experiment that does seem pretty unnecessary now, doesn't it? Thanks for pointing out how it's affecting your experience of the club. We can definitely try a single thread for this month's read.

On the topic of this month, I want to thank you guys for participating in the club and sticking with it. I wasn't sure what to expect at launch, but this is shaping up to be exactly what I hoped it would be; a little corner of appreciation for literature among this oh-so-literate community. Obviously, we have quite an ebb and flow of activity (and sometimes often administration) but that's to be expected and it doesn't seem to be a deterrent, for which I am also grateful. That's just one of the many ways you all show your kindness, patience, and appreciation in and for this fledgling effort. I want you to know that you are my people among my people of RPGX and I appreciate you very much.

EDIT: IRT single thread...point taken!

Last edited by Baxder; Apr 1st, 2021 at 11:33 AM.
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 03:43 PM
Literal Worm

Tools
User Statistics
Yep, I think Bothers makes good points, and I third the notion!

I'm gonna try finish up being tomorrow at work, hope you guys ave had a good/bearable week
Old Apr 2nd, 2021, 11:34 AM
Make me unknowing

Tools
User Statistics
OK, Book club 3.0 is online! Nomination threads will now meld into discussion threads, and ...except one. Sorry again, bothers!all unlovedselected nominations will be abandoned by Santa moved into The Island of Misfit Books, to be called upon in months like May when there are no new nominations.

Now to see how good we are at posting in spoilers!

P.S. In case anyone actually made use of the general discussion questions, they've been moved into the info thread.

Last edited by Baxder; Apr 2nd, 2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 11:26 AM
Literal Worm

Tools
User Statistics
Well after failing to finish last month's book, I've failed to start/aquire this one so far, and missed nominations for next month too!

I still want to be part of the cool club, but feeling sort of uninspired to start anything (which is a bummer as I love this book) so I'll sit this one out... Probably just stick my face up against the conservatory glass where I imagine we have our civilised-book-people conversations and pull weird faces at you guys.
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 11:48 AM
Let's Be Strange

Tools
User Statistics
I have a croquet court set up out here, Wish!

I've just ordered The Go-Between, so I'll be good to go for next month's read. It's been a busy month for me, so I wasn't able to participate with The Unbearable Lightness of Being. I also just didn't have a whole lot to say about it. Next month should be easier.
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 11:59 AM
Rhymes with 'frothers'

Tools
User Statistics
I'm telling you, it's the existentialism

I've been feeling the same way, I'm in a real reading slump at the moment. I've only managed to force myself through two books since February. I haven't started H2G2 yet, either. I don't think it's just book reading I'm struggling with, as I'm having a hard time knuckling down on uni coursework too, and I've got phat stacks of zines sitting around waiting to be read.

But H2G2 is an old favourite and I know it's a quick read, so I'm hoping it'll help blow away some of the cobwebs. Fingers crossed, anyway!