twitter facebook

Notices

Old Nov 1st, 2011, 12:04 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 523
Morzella Morzella Morzella Morzella Morzella Morzella
On here I have an even mix of male to femal characters (I think, have not actully counted). In real life I have occonasioly played a female chracter. However the last group I played in person with seemed to have an unspoken rule against playing oppiset gender characters.
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:53 PM
dad_gondsman

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27632
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman
I think it all boils down to the maturity levels of those involved. In my gaming experience, I've only had one instance where a male's playing a female character became problematic. I had to wonder if he was pulling a joke on us, often spending three paragraphs to describe her curves and one sentence addressing her actions for the round. It ultimately spun out of control when he began a series of unwanted sexual advances upon another character.

It was solitary incident, though. I've gamed with several female characters played by males that were outstanding characters since then. It all depends on who is playing and whether they have tasteful perceptions of how women in these adventurous circumstances conduct themselves. Even if someone wants to poke fun at certain stereotypes, it is best to make sure everyone is comfortable with it, first.

Last edited by mad_gondsman; Nov 3rd, 2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Deleted sexually discriminating remarks from post, or maybe it was just a matter of correcting subject-verb agreement.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Trazz666
i see nothing wrong with playing a female. sometimes i do it just to break the combo of brutish males in the group
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
lordbilliam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazz666 View Post
i see nothing wrong with playing a female. sometimes i do it just to break the combo of brutish males in the group
This, a thousand times this.

The people I play with tend to name their characters things like Max Killgore and Captain Destructo.

I think it makes an enormous difference to have that voice of reason when the rest of the party is Duke Nukem, Bruce Campbell, and Max Payne. It doesn't necessarily even have to be a female in this scenario: You just have to keep the humors balanced.
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Rarity is Best Pony

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1860
dragune185 dragune185 dragune185 dragune185 dragune185 dragune185 dragune185 dragune185 dragune185 dragune185 dragune185
My gender expression is androgynous, while my sex is male. I find it extremely easy to play either sexes, both in PbP and in real life. I have a gaming group that I have been with for the past three years and all of us play characters across sex boundaries. I know that a majority all are queerfolk. I find it near impossible to play a straight character. In fact, I have never played a straight character and the idea seems so far fetched I fear I would mess it up somehow. Thinking straight is simply not something I do on a daily basis.

Though I have noticed a pattern in my female characters - they are all strongly in charge of their sexuality and don't take a backseat to decisions. Maybe I am playing up feminist ideals? I don't know.

I do recall playing one character who focused on disguising themselves and constantly crossed the sexual expression boundary to the point that I as a character completely forgot what they were biologically. The DM would have to remind me as I(the character) answered to both he and she when dressed up.

Normally when I decide sex-expression I roll a dice as I am not attached either way. And gender expression is "not-straight" by default. Might be weird as I play female characters who hit on male characters who are played by males. But as a group we are comfortable with our sexuality, gender expression and orientations.
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Barbarus sum

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17861
HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood HenryLockwood
I have never, yet, played a female character. I've run female NPCs but they've not been around for more than a couple of scenes.

I have just applied to a game with a female character. We'll see how things go!
Dad mode: leveling up! Still busy with baby but learning all new things I can do with only one hand, such as making coffee, making more coffee, drinking coffee, injecting caffeine directly into my eyeballs... Not sleeping much. Gradually getting back to posting.
Maps for Wrath
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 01:21 PM
... <3

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2443
Ange Ange Ange Ange Ange Ange Ange Ange Ange Ange Ange
@dragune185: A female who hits on a guy is not-straight?

I've never considered sexuality in that context, i.e. is playing a male character who is interested in women homosexual for me, as a player? I would say no, a character's sexuality is completely unrelated to my own.

I've played all sorts of characters with different sexualities myself, although not too many in actual D&D games--most of them would be in more freeform avenues. In fact, I can only think of one character who was explicitly bisexual, although that was partly out of comic relief at the table more than anything I think. Some of them I quietly think have leanings in that direction (including one that I recently started playing!), but I guess I find it hard to bring it up a lot of the time in a PbP setting. I'm not sure how a lot of people would react, I guess. I wouldn't want people to feel uncomfortable.

Would people feel uncomfortable if their male character was hit on by another male character? (Or female.) What if the male character was played by a female player?

My IRL group jokingly refers to us playing "Gayfinder" (no straight people in our group either )... and none of us would even bat an eyelid if there was any homosexuality or gender bending. Indeed, one of the gay guys almost always plays a woman, generally a very strong (personality-wise) and independent one.
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 02:12 PM
Sometimes, I eat cake

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6184
DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster
I'm male and I have no problems with playing a female character. Same as I have no problems playing a halfling or an elf. As others have said, your character is not you. It's like writing a story, but you can only write one character's actions. If authors only stuck to their own gender for characters, we'd have a shortage of literature.

I am reminded, however, of the time my friend Jordan played a female character. It got... uncomfortable. The setting wasn't serious, so our characters all varied wildly. Independently of each other, I created "The Wig": a detective who is extremely self-conscious about his baldness and wears a bald-wig to make people think he has hair. Jordan created a female Jungle warrior with a thing for bald men (completely independently of each other! I swear!). One fall into a river which knocked off the Wig's bald-wig and things got... awkward.
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:53 PM
Space dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2062
Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer
There's a very interesting discussion about whether women writers are better at creating believable male characters than male writers are at creating female characters.
Old Dec 24th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 52
mnfrostbite
I've played tabletop with a friend who played as a female child (twice). Personally, I found it fun, and I incorporated her as a character to be close to my own as a kind of sisterly figure to remind my character of his deceased younger sister. It was a really neat opportunity to accidentally create a cute kind of bond between characters and was one of the more memorable aspects of the game. It also helped me get to know the friend IRL, since I first met him through the game. Basically, removing those seemingly awkward transitions can provide a much more in-depth experience. Granted, it did annoy the hell out of the GM the second time.
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 01:51 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Kaiden
I've played both genders quite a bit actually. I've even been a bit sexist about it, sort of. I always seemed to run them kind of like a JRPG, the women were always the magic classes, and the men were always the martial classes, with cleric, rogue and bard being the only gender neutral ones. I don't know why, but honestly a lot of games still do it now.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Light-Bright Lass

Tools
User Statistics
Mertiya
Just My Two Cent's Worth

I tend to play female characters (for the simple reason that I'm a girl and usually don't play PBP, so it keeps the gender ratio a little less skewed), but I also do a lot of DMing where I try very hard to roleplay NPCs. In my experience, it's something that can be a non-issue if you don't think about it too hard. When I'm playing a male NPC, I'm usually not thinking "Oh, I'm playing A Guy," but "Oh, I'm playing X character who..." On the other hand, I've occasionally played a male PC and found myself thinking about it too hard, to the detriment of the character. I did play an angel last summer who, while technically genderless and occasionally switching genders, was USUALLY a male, and he was a lot of fun to play, partly because he was sort of a weird exploration of a PC who didn't care about gender at all (and didn't really "get" it, either), which made it easier for me not to bother about the gender of my character. The way I see it, gender can be an important issue, but if you want to play a character well, your best bet is not to think of them as A Woman or A Man.
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 53
Melverne
I don’t think it is uncommon in the PBP format. The anonymity offered by the keyboard and monitor makes it a valid choice for many. With all of the forms of media that offer a heroine as the central character is it a wonder? A surprising number of men have wanted to try their hand at the femme fatale. As long as the role play is good and everyone is having fun does it matter?
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5012
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
I'm male. I played a women in 1 pbp game. The character just worked a lot better as a woman - her drives, experiences, backstory... Plus every other person in the party was male, at least at the onset. I really enjoyed the character. But if there isn't a good reason to make a character a women, I wouldn't.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Immature Adult Human

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2141
Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho Sofinho
Like many previous posters I played a good many female NPCs (I'm a man in real life, apparently) when I used to DM tabletop games, but have never played a female PC. Have just applied for a game with a female character who also happens to be a little androgynous and from a family of all boys.. I've mad it easy for myself! We'll see if my application succeeds.

I second @Melverne @jocularity's and @Malleus' remarks about the anonymity of pbp offering the just to really stretch the possibilities of the variety of characters we play. I find it interesting that crossing the gender line is considered the biggest challenge to authenticity when one considers how many people are comfortable playing dwarves, elves and halflings. After all, we are all human (perhaps a dangerous assumption): surely we have greater empathy with those of different gender within our own species rather than the other way around?

@kittenmancer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittenmancer View Post
I haven't tried playing LGBT characters in tabletop, but it would be something to try, especially a transgendered character.
Transgender role play has the potential to be very interesting, particularly within a fantasy setting. It creates a very specific goal and motive for a character operating within a world where magic could actually help them realise his/her desire.