Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Starfinder > Once Upon A Time On Pandora
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 07-01-2019, 08:48 PM
Goth Ki-Rin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1743
MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn
Chapter 2: Two Brides and a Funeral

Phasing back into reality, you find yourself in an underground cavern instead of the hot desert you just emerged from. As your eyes adjust, you notice that this cavern is by no means empty. Rather, there's a whole damn city down here. Sure, every single building looks like it was thrown up in a "can we finish this before the building inspector is appointed" race and honestly the place looks like it will catch fire if you so much as squint at it wrong, but it's at least some level of civilization.

The last one to phase into existence is your guide of sorts, Mordecai. As he comes back into physical form, he starts walking calmly into the "city proper", really just a maze of one-wide alleyways that he seems to know how to navigate. "Alright kiddos, first thing we are going to do is make sure you are prepped up. Got a friend here who can at least get you the basics, and from there we'll be able to get you set up with your first gig." He comments coolly as somewhere nearby you can hear the obvious sounds of several miniature bandits stabbing some unfortunate with paring knives.

Somehow the hunter knows his way, and eventually you lot end up in front of what looks to be a large garage. Out in front is a small outrunner, barely narrow enough to fit through Hollow Point's widest streets, with a pair of legs sticking out from under it, a whistling sound coming out from under it's depths. After a few moments of standing around, Mordecai clears his throat, causing the whistling to stop and the legs to tense a bit. Suddenly, the rest of the body of the figure under the runner comes sliding out on a mechanic's creeper...with a wrench in one hand and a massive Jakobs handgun in the other pointed right at the veteran Vault Hunter.

After a brief moment, the mechanic lowers the gun and shakes her head with a smile. "Oy, Mordi, you can't sneak up on a girl like that. The missus would have taken your bloody head off." She almost giggles, her voice tinted with a strong accent. "And since when did you go around with friends who aren't giant hunks of meat?"

"Just a new batch of Vault Hunters I pulled out of the Rust this morning. Everyone, this here is Janey Springs, best salvager and third best mechanic on Pandora." Mordecai introduces as Janey stands up and shoves the handgun into her waistband, then gives the group a wave.

Last edited by MaximumUnicorn; 07-01-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:13 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: -103
kaiser6012 kaiser6012
left-aligned image
Lorenzo shuddered involuntarily as he rematerialized. Something about the idea of someone promising to utterly destroy you in one place only to recreate you and all your personality in another place (no risk at all, honest chum!) just didn't set Lorenzo's paranoia to rest. But there might be a plus side of this whole digistruct busi-

Nope. Lorenzo's brief glimmer of hope died as he felt the uncomfortable itch spread across the right side of his face, reminding him that it was going to take more than a trip from a to b to move on from his past. Trying to hide his disappointment, Lorenzo swept his hair forward to cover his still-very-present scars and followed Mordecai, trying to keep an eye out for landmarks to help him navigate the rat's warren that Hollow Point turned out to be.

Reminds me a little of home...

The first thought that crossed Lorenzo's mind as Janey emerged with what Lorenzo initially mistook as repurposed anti-tank ordnance was a simple one and, shockingly, something that put him a little at ease.
"At least everybody's honest about being armed around here. Makes things simple if we can just assume everybody can kill us if we mess up."

Lorenzo put a bit of a smile on as Mordecai introduced the group, taking a bit of initiative and hoping nobody minded him speaking up first. He didn't bring himself to the fore, though - he didn't feel really comfortable speaking for the others. He had only just met them, after all.
"Hola, seńorita. I hope we don't need to be slabs of meat to fit in here - I don't put on muscle too good. Please, call me Lorenzo."
Old 07-02-2019, 08:03 AM
Chaos Bacon Whale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11466
AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar
left-aligned image
Paetra was glad no one had figured out how to string digistruction streams inter-planetary. Pilots like him would be out of the job faster than you can say 'Screw your existential philosophical quandries, I'm going to Vice World!'.

As he walked through it the 'town' itself didn't particularly register with him. He'd been to worse-looking crawls with all the best parties, and better looking sectors that had driven him insane with how boring they could be. Never judge a book by it's cover charge and all that.

When they were introduced to Mordecai's friend, and found a gun pointed towards them, he wasn't ashamed of how quickly he'd pulled his own gun free; held behind his back with a gravity well ready to curve the bullet around him it wasn't an obvious cause for offense, and better to ask forgiveness than to be shot in the head. Once Janey was introduced to them Paetra gave a wave with his gun-free hand, using the motion to distract from reholstering his weapon.

"Hiya, Janey. Paetra Leukai, best pilot between the stars and third best gunman among present company." He punctuated his statement with a disarming smile. "Probably. Honestly, I have no basis for comparison but I like the symmetry of it, y'know?"

Last edited by AximusLokar; 07-02-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:21 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 931
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Harmon
right-aligned image
Harmon jerks a thumb at Paetra with a chuckle and rolls his eyes. "Third best? Boy you deleted a bandit's childhood from his head with a bullet from a gun you weren't even pointing at him. I think that puts you higher than everyone but Mordecai here."

Harmon doesn't hold out a hand or anything, but he gives Janey a warm smile. "Harmon, True Space Pirate (tm). Nice to meet you." he introduces himself, still managing to convey the trademark without actually saying 'tm'. "That name sounds familiar but I'm not sure where I've heard it." he comments, shrugging after it escapes him.

Looking to Mordecai, Harmon gestures with an open hand to the garage in general. "So... this the package?" he asks, hoping that his vagueness would avoid making an error in specificity.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:58 PM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1837
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Del
right-aligned image
Del was admittedly at somewhat of a loss as their contact emerged from underneath the vehicle. This must have been the contact Mordecai had mentioned. While his instinct at the sight of the gun pointed their way was to fry her on the spot, Del noted that their sharp-shooting guide didn’t seem terribly concerned, so he let it slide.

As the others began to introduce themselves, Del remained silent, instead looking past them into the garage with mild interest. The best salvager on Pandora probably had some good materials worth bartering for... not that Del had any money or loot to offer in return at the moment. Still, he planned on changing that very soon.
Actions & RollsDel tries to spot any valuable components in the garage.

Perception: 10
Engineering (To identify): 14

I have taken the Oath!
Old 07-05-2019, 02:17 PM
Pseudodragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5842
Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous
Roz
right-aligned image
Teleportation was an interesting experience. Roz had never really wondered how a Tediore weapon felt when it was digistructed into existence whenever its predecessor ran out of ammo, but now she felt like that unasked question had been answered. It was odd and a little fizzy, like every cell had been momentarily replaced with carbonated soda and then unceremoniously became meat again.

By the time she had properly categorized and contemplated this experience, she found yet another gun being pointed at them. This was just becoming one of those days, she supposed. Luckily, however, this new person seemed far less interested in actually murdering them that the last people who pulled a gun on them. So that was an improvement.

The new person was introduced as a fellow mechanic, which was also an improvement. Roz scrutinized the blond woman, trying to Culture roll of 19?trying to remember where she'd heard the name before. Her attention was then immediately drawn to the Engineering 26 to examine the vehicle.vehicle that Janey had been working on.

"Oh wow," she said, "This looks way better than the bus we had to take to get here. I'm Roz, by the way. Newest mechanic on Pandora, drone-parent to Marzipan here, and one-fifth shareholder of Whatever the Heck We're Calling Ourselves Here." She waved a hand to encompass the group of newbie Vault Hunters.

Last edited by Pseudonymous; 07-05-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:43 PM
Goth Ki-Rin

Tools
User Statistics
MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn
DelA quick look into the garage itself is as confusing as it is informative. Offhand you can see parts for three different vehicles, a half-assembled stereo, and what appears to be the upper half of a geisha bot sticking out of a box....

RozTwo words scream to mind when you inspect the runner: Custom Job. The gunner's seat in the back has been completely removed and the larger-than-normal exhaust suggest a supped up engine. And that's not even mentioning the real leather interior. Whoever owns this puppy has some cash.

"Well, Mr Real Space Pirate (tm), if you did any work on Elpis over the past couple decades, I might have sold ya something." Janey replies with an honest smile. "Been down here on Pandora the past few though, closest pirates we have here are the Sand Pirates out in Oasis."

"Speaking of work..." Mordecai cut in. "You wouldn't happen to have any basic gear laying around, would you Springs? Like ECHOs or SDUs? I think these guys had to sell their last change of underwear just to make bus fair."

With another look over all of you, Janey just nods towards the garage and leads you all into it. "Step right up folks, Springs Emporium of Stuff is open for business." As you enter the garage, you find it to be...strangely normal. Boxes of various parts of various things are on various shelves, no doubt following some sorting system known only to the owner. In the corner is a proper gun workbench, and a busted bike engine is dripping oil as it hangs from chains. Perhaps the one unique item is the large hardwood desk with green felt top that seems to be a combination sorting table/payroll desk/lunch table.

Onto this desk, Janey drops a large box and starts digging through it. "Here we are mates, I've got...four old Dahl ECHOS and five Null-Space Chamber, Mk Ibasic SDUs. I'll just start up a tab for you lot." As she hands out the items, she gives a devious wink that tells you she's being serious.

"Alright, now we can get down to business. The package in question happens to be a wedding gift for Janey here." Mordecai starts to explain. "Lilith figured she would just buy something nice and keep there from being a catfight..."

"Yeah, well who's fault is that really?" Janey cut in as she was packing up the box, for the first time a hint of anger in her voice.

"Right...anyway..." The marksman sighed and shook his head, pulling a folded sheet of paper out of his pocket and handing it towards you. "The problem is is the present is down at the Ten Gauge Brewery. I went sober a few years back, and Moxxi made me promise to stay away from the stuff when we got hitched...so you all are going to fetch it and bring it back here by the reception tomorrow. Think you can handle that?"
Old 07-07-2019, 09:51 PM
Chaos Bacon Whale

Tools
User Statistics
AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
"Third best? Boy you deleted a bandit's childhood from his head with a bullet from a gun you weren't even pointing at him. I think that puts you higher than everyone but Mordecai here."
left-aligned image
At the title of 'boy' Paetra winced ever so slightly, muttering "For crap's sake, I'm almost thirty already..." more to himself than anyone else. Siren blood, geareek genes, or 'just one of those faces' for some reason people tended to assume he was just out of his teens, if that. Mildly annoying as it was though it wasn't worth causing a scene over, and beyond his murmured protestation he let it go.

As Mordecai explained the job Paetra exclaimed "A wedding?! Συγχαρητήρια!"Geareek : Congratulations!* He couldn't be said to be smiling, as smiling was his default expression. Paetra was beaming. "Who's the lucky soul? Do I know them? No, silly question, I'm new, but I guess considering company, do I know of them? Mordecai mentioned a ceremony, but after all the stories I've heard I was half expecting to hold vigil with a cult worshiping a obelisk that would turn out to be a not-quite-decommissioned missile."

Last edited by AximusLokar; 07-07-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:35 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1837
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Del
right-aligned image
Del accepted his new equipment, muttering a thanks as he examined each item. The old ECHO was little banged up for his liking, but beggars couldn’t be choosers... luckily Del wasn’t some pathetic beggar. Holding his palm close to the device, Del’s nanites began to run out over the surface, repairing small scratches and scuffs and restoring the components.

"Not much for weddings, but hey, congrats." Del’s eyes remained on the soon-to-be refurbished ECHO. "Anyway, I don’t see why we couldn’t run this little errand. Favor for a favor and all that." Truthfully at face value, a gift pickup hardly seemed the kind of task that would be worth all their new gear, but then, Del had to assume it was more complicated than that... complicated usually meaning “dangerous” on a place like Pandora. Otherwise, these guys definitely had to know other, more familiar folks who could pick up the gift.

"So are we looking for a box? Or something bigger? Is there a point of contact?"
Actions & RollsDel casts Mending on his ECHO device.

I have taken the Oath!
Old 07-08-2019, 12:38 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: -103
kaiser6012 kaiser6012
left-aligned image
Many conflicting emotions flowed through Lorenzo as he accepted the ECHO and SDU from Janey. Gratitude for the generosity of opening a tab for complete strangers, amusement at the slightly crestfallen look from Paetra at being called "boy", interest at Del's seemingly magical minor repairing of his ECHO, annoyance at already owing someone on Pandora several thousand credits for basic survival gear and surprise when it was mentioned that Janey was the one who was getting married. His face settled on a mildly amused surprise as Paetra gushed and Del stepped forward.
"I owe myself a twenty - I bet myself it'd be Moxxi getting married."

Lorenzo nodded at Del's prompting questions as he affixed his new pieces of equipment - he always approved of caution and intelligence gathering. "Fetching packages shouldn't be a problem - but it's never just the package, is it? It's what's around it that trips people up." He chipped in from behind Del, trying his best to not step on any toes while still adding to the conversation.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:04 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 931
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Harmon
right-aligned image
Perhaps calling Paetra 'boy' was a little much, but it was as much a turn of phrase as it was a descriptor. Harmon decided to gloss over the obvious flinch and focused on the rest of the events.

He buckled on the SDU and made sure that neither it nor the ECHO would rattle on his uniform. "Elpis? Isn't that the moon here? I think I picked up some hacked transmissions from the lunar mining colony there. Had a commercial for Moon Zoomys..." Harmon converses in response to Janey's query. "But... no, we don't normally work out here. Atlas had been driven out, and we didn't have any beef with Hyperion... I guess anymore."

"Congrats on the hitch, by the way." Harmon asks, giving a winning smile. "I hope I'm dressed for the occasion. Who's the lucky spouse-to-be?"

Whether or not there's an answer, Harmon will nod to Mordecai. "Sure thing. Is... uh... there a fast travel station there, or are we walking?"
Old 07-15-2019, 11:25 PM
Goth Ki-Rin

Tools
User Statistics
"Sorry mate, only Fast-Travel station is the one you came in on." Janey replies. "Lucky for you, the Ten Gauge is in the center of town. Built their stills out of some old Dahl chem-tanks."

"As for what you are getting, honestly I don't know." Mordecai replied with a simple lazy shrug. "It's Lilith's order, not mine. I'm actually going to be at the wedding. And I did get you two something...." He quickly amended after getting a quick side-eye from the bride-to-be. "And as for trouble, well you already proved you could handle that. If this place does have any marshal, they aren't going to give you **** for defending your own packages."
Old 07-17-2019, 01:40 PM
Pseudodragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5842
Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous
Roz
right-aligned image
"Go to brewery, get wedding present, kill anything in the way, get back in one piece. Sounds simple enough," Roz said with a grin, fully aware that this probably won't be Simple Enough in any sense of the phrase. "And yeah, echoing Del here: Are we picking this gift up from anyone in particular? How do we know what we're looking for?"

She turned to Janey with an even bigger grin. "And congrats, by the way!"

Last edited by Pseudonymous; 07-17-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:37 PM
Chaos Bacon Whale

Tools
User Statistics
left-aligned image
"No worries, I'm sure there's some manifest we, and by we I mean Del or Roz, can hack to find what we're looking for. So, who's the local powers around this brewery?"