Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Shadowrun > To Deal or Not to Deal
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Mar 6th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21332
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
What I was commenting on was the prospect of inserting a small flashback run or whatever while we wait, especially because a decker will use the matrix every step of the way as much as possible. If we can't ever wait for a second then there would be no end to it, we'd have to insert five such instances before we even get through the planning phase of the main run. Apart from the fact it'd take even more time away from you to complete the thing why we were waiting in the first place.
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 09:31 PM
The Queen of Ice
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18039
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Four Reasons Why

Hi everyone. I would normally have just sent DeJoker a private message about this but as you've recently read, he apparently feels that the best way to handle things is to post them publically for everyone to see. So, that's what I'm doing; I'm going to explain things from my perspective - what's holding me back from jumping straight back into the game and why I got upset by what DeJoker posted. I've had some concerns about this game from the very beginning and some more significant ones recently.

1) Style. We were all asked to rate what our preference was for the balance of the game: combat vs. intrigue. Most players rated it around even between the 2. I, on the 9 point scale, rated it an 8 - meaning that I preferred low combat and high amounts on intrigue. So, compared to the other players, I don't really fit in. This makes me nervous that my role in the game isn't going to work out. If I'm recalling right from the original advertisement for the game (I couldn't find it when I looked back through the Games Seeking Players thread), the game said it was going to be focused on roleplaying, which is what attracted me to the game in the first place. My strong belief is that combat results in players not roleplaying, generally speaking. You're either waiting for your turn to roll dice or shouting battle cries - which is hardly roleplaying. Shadowrun combat is very, very dangerous. A single attack can kill even the best runner. Three attacks and you're pretty much guaranteed to be dead. Or your 74,000 nuyen motorcycles is no better than scrap metal. In my view, combat should therefore be avoided. My own preference is to focus on story and character development

2) Pacing. We were split into the most compatible pairs, which made a whole lot of sense. Then the GM(s) decide that we all have to match pacing with each other. My pairing is a face and decker, which means that we're going to have to be more subtle, plan things out, do more leg work, and obvious have to take a while to do things. Meanwhile, a pair of street sams or more actiony type characters who are going to be more forthright, kick open the door and start shooting, is going to move a lot faster. So, we'll be the slowest group and everyone will keep having to wait on us because apparently now we have to sync up when it comes to what in-game time it is. I'm sure that there's some very good reason why we need to carefully sync up time-wise. Maybe the job offer will make that clear.

3) My first post. In my first post, I arranged for my partner and I to meet at a no-name bar. At 10 am, it's likely to be completely empty and an excellent place to meet and talk in private and maybe have the decker be able to do some matric work (which makes him comatose in the meat world). I found this out only about 3 hours ago: Our DM changed my first post. It now reads that I asked the other player to meet at a runner hangout called "Carnage" where there's going to be street fighters, street sams, and riggers looking for jobs and fights. That's not a good place to meet, in my opinion. Two non-combat character (one comatose) surrounded by fighters?! But the GM changed what I said and controlled my character in the process. At minimum, he should have asked if that was okay first - in my opinion.

4) This discussion. So, I did get offended by a comment that DeJoker made a few posts ago. Even now, I believe that he doesn't really understand why I'm upset and why his comment was hurtful. And I feel like he may never understand. In short, he referred to the people who weren't at the meet yet (clearly everyone knows that that refers to me) as "messing around" - like what I was doing was just a waste of time and not worth anything, and therefore harmful to the other players. This is the comment that he says I misinterpreted. From my perspective, he was making fun of people who wanted to ask questions and do some legwork up front to try to make sure everything was on the level and we had a back-up plan in case something went wrong - like the doors clamping down locked. If the decker had already worked his way into the system and had a way to unlock the doors, then yay us. He posted that comment publically, for all to see how ridiculous we were being in not just rushing to the meet without trying to prepare.

Then after I told him that it had upset me (he never apologized but just told me that I interpreted it wrong) he did it again. He then posted publically that me getting upset was the reason why the game is not progressing. I had thrown a tantrum like some kind of insolent, little girl and that's why you're not playing right now. You're waiting on me to decide whether to quit or get over myself. If he can't understand how publically shaming me like that effects my relationship with the other players and puts me in a really difficult position, then I don't see how I can continue to play in this game without people either feeling they have to "walk on eggshells" around me, or think of me as some kind of spoiled brat that holds her breath until she gets her way. But again, I don't expect him to even understand what I've just explained. He'll probably just tell me how I'm wrong.

Last edited by girlplay; Mar 6th, 2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 08:35 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2469
Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach Stannach
Hey all, not liking to do this but I have no power. This will be a rare post until we get something more reliable due to weather n the Northeast. Sorry to See you go Girlplay, but I think I have to drop too. If we are already having pacing problems then I will be a repeat offender with my toddler and of course not having internet... I'm at my inlaws now for a few hours. God speed everyone.
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 07:47 PM
Nutter Extraordinaire
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1763
DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker
Sorry folks was gone for the last couple of days --- and as a reminder about pacing normally I am a daily poster but due to having to generate a new job/contract to pay the bills it has been taking me away from the computer that do the posting on. Once I have landed a job/contract things for me should be getting back to normalcy -- and as a secondary note this is affecting all my games but I apologies for my delays non-the-less.

Will address girlplay after I have had a chance to thoroughly read what they posted.
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 08:32 PM
Nutter Extraordinaire
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker DeJoker
Okay if you need an apology for my comment that was not meant to be insulting at all (as I explained to you privately) then -- I sincerely apologies -- for as I stated it was just my way of referencing in a generic manner what you were doing (I thought the explanation would be enough but I will also apologies for making that faux pas) -- further I never stated that I thought it was less than anything anyone else was doing or that it was not important in fact I have stated the opposite prior and since --- further it prompted me to make a public post denoting that if I make such a comment that no one should read something into it that is not there -- and I did that not to explain to you but because you had taken an offense to it and as such so might someone else -- and I wanted to make sure that such comments did not cause an offense to be inadvertently taken by anyone else -- so I acknowledged that you took a offense to the comment -- and that I respect that -- and wanted to make sure that the same mistake was not made by someone else that does not know me very well. It being a mistake btw does not make it any less important as the responsibility of quality communication is not your responsibility when I am the one doing the communicating -- for responsibility relies solely with the the communicator not the listener but I am NOT perfect so I can make such mistakes and all I am trying to do is make communicating a bit easier for me in this forum by explaining things to you and everyone else that might also misread something I write.

So again so that it is clear hopefully to you as well as all the other players -- I do not look at what a player does as unimportant if it is important to your character than it is important to me as the storyteller -- again I created a separate thread for you to play out that scene where you are my generic term for doing something else that is not part of the current primary story thread -- it is not unimportant to do this -- its just outside the current primary story thread (more on this in a bit)messing around. As to changing the name of the watering hole -- you placed a building into the world without prior approval or explanation as such I did change the name without asking because I thought you were just throwing a name out there and all I was doing was putting a legitimate name to the name you threw out there -- my apologies for misinterpreting what you were doing but again while I do encourage folks to create stuff I have a thread for that however if you wanting to throw such into your post a {tt="New Place"}Description of new place in detail{/tt} would be useful to me in determining if such a place already exists (or would exist at all) and naming it accordingly and/or adopting the new place and making it an official place of interest. So in this we both made a mistake and I again apologies for my part in that.

A secondary problem to your arrangement is that the other player was/is not on the same page with you and as such is someplace completely unprotected and unsafe doing what you wanted to have them do together thus avoiding issues -- which in my book actually was a very good plan -- as such I am still trying to figure out just how much trouble (if any) our Technomancer is going to get into for this but since they will not know anything about it until they check back into their meat-suit I have just been toying around with the idea some.

As for Pacing -- yes my PLAN is to make sure adventures are more in-tune with the individual players BUT this first mission is not the tailored missions that I will be using going forward because it involves a whole lot more players than the more free form nature I am planning for the full version later on -- I thought I had explained that to some degree but if I had not then I apologies -- yes this first mission is going to probably be more around a 5 since we have folks in it that are both ends of the spectrum -- and that is just respectful to all the players involved -- again this first Mission is for working together and hopefully working out potential kinks such as players having divergent styles such that in large team missions we have a means to keep everyone active while waiting on a part of the big mission that they have a rather small role in

This mission has a primary story thread and this thread is where the majority of the players are or will be -- however due to the nature of larger groups within the shadowrun venue there will side threads for players who are not currently within the main thread or are within the main thread but not within the main thread by virtue of being in the Matrix or Astrally projecting or anything else that causes them to have activity outside what everyone else can be aware of an participate in. Once the full game is up and running these side adventures should be fairly minimal or at least fully understood by all involved prior to them cropping and a means to handle idle time by players will hopefully be put into place.

So I hope that explains everything sufficiently and that you will be rejoining us soon -- I understand your current apprehensions but I do plan for your team (BB and Rose) to be mostly role-playing once you are a much smaller team or joined with others that are willing to do more role-playing than combat

Lastly I run an open book -- if you have issue please state it here you may not be the only one with that issue -- and as such I can address it for everyone further it removes any situation where there is a case of he said she said because everyone is aware of what is being said by all parties -- I respect all my players and I do my best to make the game friendly and respectful but again I am not perfect and I can make mistakes but I am quite willing to apologies and rectify those mistakes
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 09:13 AM
Nutter Extraordinaire
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
Okay for those waiting in the meeting room -- would you like me to create a secondary story covering an earlier Mission that you went on while we wait for the others to complete their side missions ??
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 02:39 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 946
Zandramasa Zandramasa Zandramasa Zandramasa Zandramasa Zandramasa Zandramasa Zandramasa
So is Stannach and Girlplay still in the game, otherwise I really think ill drop this game. Apologies.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 04:30 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Blue Dwarf
I had actually arranged to meet another player where I am, but it seems they are MIA...is Violet still around?
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 02:25 AM
Nutter Extraordinaire
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
I think Violet = Rose = girlplay

I do not know if girlplay is still in the game but I am suspecting its a no -- As for Stannach they were the last time I knew but things are going slower than I had planned mostly due to my RL situation which I extremely hoping changes soon.

Last edited by DeJoker; Mar 14th, 2018 at 02:26 AM.
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 04:21 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Blue Dwarf
Well if the character I was planning to meet (and had made arrangements to do so) became a no-show, can we say that Violet/Rose did come to meet me and cover me while I am in the matrix, as planned, and then disappeared to some urgent girl business?
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 04:47 AM
Nutter Extraordinaire
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
Yeah I would be cool with that -- in fact she could show up to the meet and then decide not to be part of the Mission as that would seem the most logical
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 01:56 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Blue Dwarf
Sounds good then. Shall we finish in the matrix?
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21332
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Girlplay is as out as can be, Stannach is gone too and as a result Zandramasa has also dropped. And now I am also leaving.

Mostly because in a month we have not moved an inch, and after two months of previous prep-time at that. Reasons for all that aside, I just lost all interest. Nothing to be done about it - I have other games that I run and participate in, so I will concentrate on those. I am as of now unsubscribed from this game.

All the best wishes to everybody still checking in here - good luck in all your future games.

@DeJoker You can use all of the Npcs I have created - but I would appreciate if you did not use Tetsuo or Ganesha. I will very likely use them in the future myself and have deleted the post detailing them.
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 11:12 PM
Nutter Extraordinaire
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
Okay that is why I was trying to create something for folks that allowed you all to do something in an alternate time but alas I suppose this was not meant to be as RL took its turn at the most in appropriate time so I going to do everyone a favor and simply put this whole thing on hold until my life allows me to have more time -- my apologies to all for this but I had not planned on this hiccup in my life.

Last edited by DeJoker; Mar 18th, 2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 04:41 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Blue Dwarf
Ok, cool. Till next time then.