twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old May 26th, 2018, 02:05 PM
The Butcher of Blaviken
Newsletter Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7211
undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib
The initiative rolls are unchanged for CT3, it seems. At the cost of 4 points of edge.

Inigo's Initiative is 2d6+10 - 2 wound modifier S. Currently on his knees.
Dice Inigo Initiative:
2d6+8 (1, 6)+8 Total = 15

Jack's Initiative is 2d6+8 - 1 wound modifier from S.
Dice Jack Initiative:
2d6+7 (4, 4)+7 Total = 15

Dice Domino's Initiative:
1d6+7 (6)+7 Total = 13
Old May 27th, 2018, 10:35 AM
The Butcher of Blaviken
Newsletter Staff

Tools
User Statistics
undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib undeadrajib
I added the IC action and rolls for all three. It doesn't seem likely their initiative rolls will be exceeded. At this point, I think we have to accept that Jack is just a terrible shot.

As usual, I might have messed up the action economy, esp with regards to Domino. Perhaps she needs a simple action to change the Gun's mode from single to burst fire. So she might end up firing in single shot mode. Not a bad shot, though.
Old May 27th, 2018, 01:27 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 298
Tecumseh Tecumseh Tecumseh
The highest that any of the goons can roll for Initiative is 12, so you're fine to act first.

Initiative
Dice Goon #1 (muscle) Initiative - Wounds 1:
1d6+6 (1)+6 Total = 7

Dice Goon #3 (magician) Initiative - Wounds 3:
1d6+6 (3)+6 Total = 9

Dice Goon #4 (hacker) Initiative:
1d6+6 (3)+6 Total = 9

As I said at the beginning, none of the sample characters are particularly strong. They're competent but they're sort of halfway between street toughs and professional shadowrunners. That said, it's undeniable that Jack has had a foul string of luck when it comes to rolling.

However, it does occur to me that Jack has not been rolling her +1 from her smartlink. Let's throw a couple here, one for this round and one for last round as a make-up roll for all this lamentable rolling.

Also, Jack doesn't need to spend an action to leave cover because she left cover last round to take her shots against the mage. She didn't have any actions to get back into cover so she's still exposed. The good news is that she can now use that Simple action for a Take Aim action, which will give her +1 to her shot. Let's add that to the smartlink dice.

Dice Jack's smartlink + Take Aim:
3d6smh5 6 ✔, 6 ✔, 4 ✘ (2/3) Total = 16

There, now she has 3 hits instead of 1. Much better.

Dice Goon #1 dodge: Reaction 4 + Intuition 3 - Wounds 1 - Burst 2:
4d6smh5 3 ✘, 5 ✔, 5 ✔, 1 ✘ (2/4) Total = 14

Jack connects with 1 net hit, staging her base damage of 8P up to 9P.

Dice Goon #1 soak: Body 4 + Armor 12:
16d6smh5 2 ✘, 5 ✔, 2 ✘, 4 ✘, 4 ✘, 5 ✔, 5 ✔, 2 ✘, 4 ✘, 4 ✘, 4 ✘, 1 ✘, 1 ✘, 1 ✘, 3 ✘, 5 ✔ (4/16) Total = 52

Not a good roll by the goon. He soaks 4 boxes, leaving him with 5 boxes unsoaked. His armor is thick enough to change the damage from Physical to Stun, so that's 5S for Goon #1 to go with his pre-existing 4P. He'll be at -2 due to wounds.

To be continued; my son wants to go to the park.

Last edited by Tecumseh; May 27th, 2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old May 27th, 2018, 07:25 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Next, Goon #3 needs to soak the 3-hit manabolt.

Dice Goon #3 soak, Willpower 5 + Counterspelling 2:
7d6smh5 4 ✘, 4 ✘, 5 ✔, 5 ✔, 3 ✘, 1 ✘, 5 ✔ (3/7) Total = 27

No damage to the magician.

Next, Domino needs to shoot someone. I'll arbitrarily decide that Goon #1 is the lucky winner for the 4-hit attack. This is the second attack he's dodged since his last turn so we'll give him -1 for dodging a second time. He doesn't have enough dice to succeed so it's only a question of how much he needs to soak.

Dice Goon #1 dodge, Reaction 4 + Intuition 3 - Wounds 2 - Second Dodge 1 - Burst 2:
2d6smh6 2 ✘, 2 ✘ (0/2) Total = 4

No hits on the dodge. The 4 net hits stage the Predator's damage up to 12P. The Predator has -1 AP so that affects the soak roll.

Dice Goon #1 soak, Body 4 + Armor 12 - AP 1:
14d6smh5 6 ✔, 4 ✘, 1 ✘, 6 ✔, 5 ✔, 4 ✘, 2 ✘, 3 ✘, 3 ✘, 5 ✔, 3 ✘, 4 ✘, 3 ✘, 2 ✘ (4/14) Total = 51

He soaks the 12P down to 8P. His armor isn't enough to turn this damage into Stun so it stays Physical. He's now at 5S and 12P, which means he's in Overflow which means that he's down and near death.

Initiative Order
15 - Inigo
15 - Jack
13 - Domino

9 - magician #3
9 - hacker #4
7 - goon #1

Next Steps
Goons #3 and #4

To be continued yet again.

Last edited by Tecumseh; May 27th, 2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old May 28th, 2018, 11:50 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Goon #3
This guy is rocking 9P of damage and decides that he's had enough and would like to see another day. He starts crawling away down the aisle, trying to break line-of-sight and hide in the confusion of things that have fallen off the shelves.

I'm going to rule that Jack still has LOS of him. Inigo and Domino can get it back if they move to acquire it.

Goon #4
Seeing the tide of battle turn, Goon #4 jumps back into the Ares Roadmaster and slams the door behind him. Ares Roadmasters have a lot of armor and will reliably shrug off small-arms fire from things like Jack's Ingram Smartgun and Domino's Ares Predator. Inigo's manabolts, however, are not affected by the armor. As long as Inigo can see it, he can cast at it.

Next Steps
IC post from me
Inigo, Jack, and Domino all get CT3 IP2
Old May 30th, 2018, 09:39 AM
The Butcher of Blaviken
Newsletter Staff

Tools
User Statistics
Is there the possibility of a held action? I want Inigo to use his gob again and try and convince the goons to surrender. I am ok if it takes up his whole turn. But I want Jack and Domino's response to be contingent upon how the goons react. They shoot if the baddies don't surrender and hold their fire if they do. Is that possible?
Old May 30th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Yes, held actions are a thing.

This all depends on how granular we want to be in a turn-based system played via PbP. If we were in person then it would be easier to have a back-and-forth of what's happening at the same time and for one person to say "stop" when it's time for the action to resume.

Let's just agree for the next IC posts to cover the following 3-6 seconds. I'll tell you the broad outline of what will happen from the NPCs. While Inigo is giving his speech, the magician (Fornis) will be staggering to his feet and trying to run. He's in no danger of getting away, given that he's grievously wounded and leaving a trail of blood that will be very easy to follow. The decker (Joeby) will be closing the doors of the Ares Roadmaster and locking himself in. Jack's probably too far away to stop this but there are always other options, like hacking the vehicle.
Old May 31st, 2018, 03:47 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Inigo's action could actually be categorized as a Negotiation test or a Leadership test, either of which would be Complex actions.

The Roadmaster doesn't even have 7 dice to defend against the MARK, so I'm not even going to roll for it. Normally the Roadmaster would be protected by, say, the decker's cyberdeck, but since Domino already toasted the cyberdeck (not completely, but enough that the enemy decker doesn't want to lose the remainder of it) the cyberdeck is off and not providing any additional defense.

Ignore that; that's not how the Quick Start Rules work. Per the QSR you're rolling against the Roadmaster's threshold, which is low (like, a 2 or 3) and should be pretty easy with a dicepool of 15 (92% chance or better).

Long story short, I'm not even going to make you roll for it. We'll drop out of initiative and just go to open roleplaying. It will take less than 10 seconds for Domino to finish hacking the vehicle and stopping it cold. I'll advance the IC action about that far.
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 11:12 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Action is to you.
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 01:00 AM
The Butcher of Blaviken
Newsletter Staff

Tools
User Statistics
Sorry! Had a bit of a crappy weekend
Old Jun 8th, 2018, 06:55 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
This concludes our introductory adventure to Shadowrun via the Quick Start Rules.

If this were an ongoing campaign then it would be easy to springboard into other adventures, like tracking down the exec that's callous enough to put a hit out on his mistress and baby boy, but those are stories for another day.
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 02:21 PM
The Butcher of Blaviken
Newsletter Staff

Tools
User Statistics
Whew! That was quite the ride. Thank you once again for doing this.

I have to apologize for my slow response rate towards the end. Things are just a bit intense at work right now. Plus I have taken on the design of the bi-annual magazine of this site, called Explosive Runes. Most of my time at home is going into it. It's coming out on July the 4th. Do keep an eye out for it

Regarding Shadowrun, well, the complexity is still there, isn't it? And it seems there's much more in the full rules book. But I think I am going to order the CRB. I think I am now comfortable with the core mechanics of dice pools. I will apply to a game when it comes up and see where that takes me.

What are your plans then? Gonna stick around the crossing? I haven't really DMed ever. But I know enough about it to know that you are a good one So, running a proper game any time soon?
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 05:38 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Your response rate was fine. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any miscommunication about whose turn it was.

Shadowrun is very complex. Combat is on the lower end of the complexity scale. Hacking can really twist your mind, and driving can be even worse. Hacking has gotten better, but it's still a mini-game in its own right. At least now it can operate in parallel with other things (like a combat scene) rather than being a long tangent like it used to be.

I don't think I'm going to continue on at RPG Crossing. The dice rolling drives me bonkers. I hate having to post a roll to see the results so that it can inform the rest of my post. If I were to run a full game here I would probably use a third-party roller like Orokos.

I'll look for Explosive Runes when it comes out. That sounds like fun.
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 11:08 PM
The Butcher of Blaviken
Newsletter Staff

Tools
User Statistics
I am sorry to hear that! I still hope to see you around this place if you happen to change your mind.

Thanks once again for the game. I guess our other friend, gamemaster0007 did not make it But he still has my thanks for bringing up the topic in the first place and making this possible
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 02:12 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Let me know what you think of Shadowrun's core rulebook. It will initially be overwhelming but as you get deeper into it you'll realize how much they pushed out into the topic-specific supplements.