OOC Chicago’s Own Pizzeria 'None of that soy crap here!' - Page 18 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Mar 28th, 2021, 06:37 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23344
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
I'm Sorry :(

I'm sorry everyone.

I've been in a DM slump for a while now and my posts have suffered some due to that fact. Sorry to prove your earlier concern about the state of the game true Wynamoinen, but I hit a wall. I had every intention of working on a post today but when I sat down to do so, I realized I really, REALLY did not want to do so. It...it actually surprised me but when I thought about ending the game here I felt a huge sense of relief. You all are great players and I wish to RP with you again in the future.

I would have loved to see Whispers reaction when you got to the Janus building and found they were cleaning a technomancer that they had borged out who had escaped and killed everyone. I also would have liked to see the fight when Cinch finally tracked down the woman who was behind the death of her parents. Or the wild run to end the game where you were hunting down the person who blew your covers/Fake ID's to sever A-rated corps only to find it was Xoch who promptly asks you to join Monster Inc. A shadow organization funded by ALL the Big Ten to hunt down the monsters of the 6th world and keep the news of their existence out of the public news.

Unfortunately, the An Untimely Encounter game is now ended.

I'll give it a few days then make everything nice and neat and close the threads before figuring out how to archive the game. It's been a fun run

Edit: Just FYI but I unsecreted the threads in the Where the DM is Formulating, Planning, and possibly even Scheming! folder.

Edit #2: Oh, and the sniper and his mentor spirit have been corrupted by the Astral Plane here and think everyone they see is possessed by or actually are Bug Spirits.

~ I'm Back!!! ~

Last edited by Silk; Mar 28th, 2021 at 06:43 PM.
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 07:41 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 40802
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
I’m sorry to hear that, but if that’s the right decision for you, then I’m not going to say you’re wrong. There’s no denying we’ve continued to drag for the last month or two. I’d love to get another chance to play with you all, if the opportunity arises.

That said, I'm going to need to think about whether I'll pick up another Shadowrun game any time soon. It really is an awful ruleset, and I've definitely shifted heavily towards rules-light systems in my time here on the site.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; Mar 28th, 2021 at 07:46 PM.
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 10:03 PM
Spectral Cookie Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6394
Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442
'sad Whisper face' also, CYBERPSYCHO! can we keep it?

A lot of the lore of Shadowrun is really cool. The ruleset needs major reworking... Despite these setbacks, you did a great job Silk. I had fun and I hope everyone else had fun.

If anyone needs me you know how to find me.
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 10:40 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost6442 View Post
CYBERPSYCHO! can we keep it?
Incidentally, I was thinking that if I ever DM another game it will be a Cyberpunk RED game

~ I'm Back!!! ~

Old Mar 28th, 2021, 10:53 PM
Spectral Cookie Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6394
Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442
When you do... 'nods head towards SEND PM'
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 01:20 AM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
Sure Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynamoinen View Post
That said, I'm going to need to think about whether I'll pick up another Shadowrun game any time soon. It really is an awful ruleset, and I've definitely shifted heavily towards rules-light systems in my time here on the site.
I actually agree with you here about how awful the ruleset is. I'll play a character in the system but I'm not certain I'll ever DM another 5th edition Shadowrun game. You need to know the rules forward and backward to really DM it good.

~ I'm Back!!! ~

Last edited by Silk; Mar 29th, 2021 at 01:23 AM.
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 08:24 AM
a pair of ragged claws

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23196
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Silk,

Thanks for being honest with yourself and with us. It really is the best policy.

I know I have dragged the game even when work was not as much of an issue and for that I'm sorry. I really enjoyed playing with you all. I think you picked a great group of players and I love how skilled everyone was in really digging into the meat of what makes shadowrun fun to play: the setting itself. I think, personally, even being a Shadowrun ruleset apologist, that I'm really not great at actually playing in a shadowrun game. At least not on pbp. I'd jump at the chance to play with you all again in whatever system.

Some of Silk's shining GM moments:
  • Every single NPC and baddie. You really made the world come alive. I thoroughly enjoyed all your posts. Sorry I didn't reward you with more rpxp. You deserved it.
  • Tackling a crucial, but ultimately unsustainable, part of shadowrun whole hog. Contacts. It's such an important part of the game and you put in an astronomical amount of work trying to breathe life into it.
  • Whether it was by design, or a moment of incredible inspiration after player grumbling about street scum, coming up with the evolution campaign. I really think Street scum to Standard to eventually Prime is a fantastic way to actually see Shadowrun character evolve as they start off pretty much as good as they get and the pace of advancement can be glacial, especially in pbp. Kuddos.
  • I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting, but it was a great game and you chose a great cast. Thanks, Silk.

Last edited by UngainlyFool; Mar 29th, 2021 at 08:26 AM.
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 08:50 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 40802
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngainlyFool View Post
I'm really not great at actually playing in a shadowrun game. At least not on pbp. I'd jump at the chance to play with you all again in whatever system.
I think this is a big part of the issue. At the physical tabletop, I think Shadowrun mechanics are merely "much more complicated than necessary". In PbP, though, the mechanics are a sadistic inquisitor that jabs hot pokers in every single limitation of the format.

I keep coming back to the system; the idea is so good! I want to try Cyberpunk Red, and if I do, I will miss the magical mystical nonsense of Shadowrun. But I think I might just be done with Shadowrun on PbP. I've been in 4 or 5 Shadowrun games on the site, and while the stories and players and GMs are almost always excellent, the games have either danced around the mechanics, or butted heads with it in pretty frustrating ways.
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 11:35 AM
I'm your huckleberry

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19102
Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs
Well, first things first: Thanks for running this, Silk. The players and the game were amazing. I will miss this crew. And UF really hit on it already but, that Street Scum to standard idea really was a stroke of genius.

I don't have anything new to say that hasn't already been said about SR. I would just be echoing what has already been said by Wyn and UF. I am, however, very glad I tried it. Thanks for the game everyone!
Old Mar 31st, 2021, 07:15 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
GAME CLOSED...farewell everyone.

~ I'm Back!!! ~

Last edited by Silk; Mar 31st, 2021 at 07:15 PM.