twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 05-14-2019, 08:05 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 474
Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite
This is a character from another game that reached 3rd level just as the DM decided to shut it down. I'd like a chance to continue playing her. Her stats are 27 pt buy, rather than 4d6. I hope that's O.K. I'm willing to modify them if need be.

Name: Ritter Quillen
Race: Human
Class: Warlock, GOO, Pact of Chain
Background: Guild Artisan
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Ritter Quillen

Name:Ritter Quillen

Race: Human (variant).
Profession: Warlock (Great Old One, Pact of the Chain)

Alignment: CG

Description:
Pale skinned, dark haired human in her late teens.
Given a choice, she would prefer very dark clothes. Plain, working clothes. When faced with danger, she wears leather armor.

Background: Guild artisan - Scribe

Ritter's parents operated a shop in the merchants district of Springdale. They specialized in creating document, maps, etc. She learned the skills of a scribe at a young age.

Ritter's great-aunt Rai (her mother's mother's sister) was an odd woman who lived by herself out in the forest,a fair distance away, near Wroughtwood. Aunt Rai practiced magic, and was generally shunned by common people. But Ritter loved her.

Ritter's parents were murdered a year or so ago. Perhaps in a botched robbery by a local gang. With no where else to turn, she sought out her aunt Rai for help.

"I'm going to introduce you to someone who has been a great help to me in my life. She will get you through this." said Rai.

Aunt Rai laid her hand on Ritter's forehead, and Ritter saw a vision of an aged women in a silver gown. The lady said to her "I will come to you in your dreams, as a teacher. Your aunt and many along your mother's line have been my students for many years. I will give you the tools you need to survive this trial"

Living in the forest with Aunt Rai was not really to Ritter's liking. She eventually came to Wroughtwood, seeking a livelihood adventuring with what she has learned from Rai and the Silvered Lady. During her year in the forest she learned to move objects with her mind. She learned to inflict damage by attacking with frightening whispers. And most importantly, she learned to defend herself with a blast of magical energy.

Roleplay

Just a half day before, Ritter had bid a tearful farewell to her beloved Aunt Rai. For months they had talked about her moving to Wroughtwood. Ritter was unhappy with the isolated life her aunt led in the forest. She wanted to be among more people. Finally the day had come.

Rai told Ritter to watch the old trail. Travelers and hunters used this route if they needed to reach Wroughtwood through the forest. She was to watch for safe-looking travelers and follow them back to the city. This would be safer than travelling alone.

And she had done exactly that. Three hunters, two human men, and a boy. Probably a son to one of them. On a hunt deep in the woods for some sort of large game. They must have failed in their hunt, because they appeared to be empty handed.

The travelers tired before Ritter, and they began to bed down with a campfire off the trail. She stayed out of site, but found a safe place where she might get some sleep within earshot of the men.

She dozed off. And it the dead of night she was awakened. She looked to the campfire. She could see shadows moving across the flames in the distance. She ran to see what was there.

Goblins! Attacking the travelers.

By the time she reached the edge of the camp, the hunters had killed two goblins. But one of the humans was wounded badly.

The largest goblin had grabbed the boy. He shouted in the common tongue "Give it up humans. We have your child. Give us everything you have, or the boy dies!"

The hunters were frozen in fear. Not knowing what to do. Surely the goblins would kill them no matter what ransom they gave.

Ritter remembered what she had learned from Rai. She drew upon the power of the Silvered Lady, closed her eyes, and with her will created a song of fear in the mind of the big goblin. His face grew grim, he released the boy and began to run.

As the goblin ran, the hunters sprang to attack.

Ritter entered the clearing, and fired a bolt of purple energy at one of the remaining goblins.

As the tide of the battle turned, the goblins ran. Ritter stood before the hunters.

"We don't know who you are girl, but you saved our hides!"

Ritter wasn't sure what to say. "Its nothing. Just glad I could help."

She camped with the hunters until dawn, and then traveled with them to Wroughtwood the next day. After a year in the wilderness, she was back in something like civilization, and looking for a way to make use of what Rai and the Silvered Lady had taught her. Perhaps she might even find the bandits who had killed her parents.

Dr. Lorn

Ritter has now lived in Wroughtwood for move than a year. She makes a living now as an adventurer. Her ability to use magic in a fight is a plus. But she also knows the wilderness area around Aunt Rai's cottage. Her expertise in
maps and documents comes in handy. She's not above using her good looks and charm to persuade treasure hunters and explorers into letting her join their traveling parties.

She has gained experience, and from time to time The Silvered Lady appears to her in her dreams to teach her new magic. Most recently, Ritter was taught to summon familiars. She now has a small magical reptile as a companion, and she is eager to use this new power in the field.

To her surprise, an old name from the past has surfaced in remote Wroughtwood. As a scribe, Ritter's father made some of his income as a buyer and seller of old books and maps. He had one particular customer called Dr. Lorn.
Lorn was always seeking lore about Reliquarians, the history of Everest, and anything about Dorian's ancient past. Whenever the scribe Mr. Quillen had the chance, he would invest in old documents, knowing that Lorn would buy them when he made a visit.

When Ritter was just a child, Lorn would bring her gifts when he came to visit the store. One day Lorn told her a tale of a witch he knew living out near Wroughtwood. Ritter recognized the witch in the tale as her beloved Aunt Rai. From that point forward, Lorn served as a sort of go between for the child and her remote Aunt. It was Lorn, in fact, who helped Ritter find her way to Aunt Rai's cottage after her parents had passed away.

She knew Lorn was a strange character, but she had come to trust him over the years. Though she had some skepticism about his claims, she was certainly open to the idea that he might be right. She knew for sure that he had thoroughly researched Dorain's past.

Stat Block
currently studded leather armor. Ac 14
ritter quillen| warlock (goo) | level 3

hp: 21/21| ac: 13 | spell dc: 13 | spell bonus: +5 | speed: 30'

stats: str 8 (-1), dex 15 (+2), con 12 (+1), int 14 (+2), wis 10 (+0), cha 16 (+3)

languages: common, elven, dwarven

currently wielding: dagger 1d4

spell slots available: 2

spell slots used: 0

cantrips: 2 list: mage hand, eldritch blast

known spells: 1st: 2 list: 1st: Armor of agathys, dissonant whispers

known spells: 2nd: 2 list: 1st: Suggestion, Misty Step

note: - "observant" feat gives +5 to passive int and wis checks.

Familiar - PseudoDragon

Last edited by Stadiumite; 05-17-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:39 PM
Saath

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1258
Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88
Whew! Ok. Got a lot to respond to here, so I'll mark it off for each of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachenspirit View Post
Thanks so much. Sometimes less is more, and some DMs prefer that. On that note, your wish is granted, and I'll add more to her over the next day or so, hopefully today.

Added a bit more to Scarlett's story with a short encounter titled, "Yesterday."
Awesome! I love it! I really like the way you juxtapose Scarlett's refined behavior against that of the people around her. If I end up choosing you, I'll enjoy watching how she deals with other characters and situations. I sense that RP is an interest of yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruma Kohaku View Post
If Scarlet Stormblood and Gareth both make the cut, I would like to see about possibly having a connection between the two since they both worship the Raven Queen. Maybe like a joint vision from the Raven Queen or something.
I think that's an awesome idea! But in all honesty it's not really up to me. If that's something you both want to do, I suggest you talk with one another and see what you come up with! I have definitely been more willing to accept the applications of characters with their backstories tied together in the past. It's cool to build a unique character, but even better to build a party.
A while ago, I actually had an idea to do applications as basically one big pool of RP, where instead of pitching their characters OoC, I would set the scene of a bar and people would just have their characters walk in and start interacting with one another. I haven't done it yet, but I think I will in some future game - maybe a longer one that I want to have a really good dynamic.
Anyway, I encourage you to reach out and lend some depth to your character by tying it to another!

@Stadiumite, Ritter Quillen, daughter of a scribe, orphan, and blossoming adventurer! I am intrigued by your character because she seems to somewhat break the medieval mold that D&D tends to usually stick to (same as so many other genres of entertainment - ugh). I have only one question: What is Snubba? Is it a city?
Also, I lied, I have more questions. What was the campaign theme from where she was sourced? I'm partly asking to determine how well this campaign will fill those shoes. I think, I also want to know more about the way her parents died. Was she present, how did all that play out? I mean, that has to be pretty scarring for anyone, especially a teenager who can do magic and is unknowingly connected to the Great Old One!
Thanks for your application! I'm glad you chose this game.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:14 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 488
Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori
left-aligned image

Name: Old Azure

Race: Varient Human

Class: Life Cleric

Background: Solider

Description: Old and weathered, but ruggedly handsome. White and gray, trimmed and styled beard and hair, thick and plentiful (especially for one as old as he). A constant jovial smile across his face. With Sune's love, life is good.

Backstory: "You join the army. You see stuff. A lot of bad stuff. If you don't die, then you just get spat back out and have to carry on the best you can. Can't let life keep you down. Just have to do some good and help each other out."

Azure joined the army at a young age. Spent his life there, not caring for promotion. Just being in the ranks and fighting along side and protecting his fellows was enough for him. At first it was Sune that brought him into the battle. She came to him in a dream, bright, fiery and beautiful. Orcs were massing in the Sword Mountains again. Ugly, dirty and foul. Their appearance was an offense to the goddess. So he signed up, and that was the last he heard from his goddess for many years.

Decades went by, friends were made and lost. Emotions spiraled. But there always seemed to be a reason to stay; A friend, a new foe, a skirmish when he was thinking of leaving, a new recruit that needed protecting, a request from a beautiful captain, a new monstrosity looming. But in the end, his regiment was disbanded. He wandered for a while and sold himself out for hire. Not necessarily for the coin, but because he was needed. "Do good" he whispered to himself, "uphold beauty."

He was doing good work, but he felt alone. Fleeting contracts, short-lived companionship, Just jumping from one to the next. He was longing for a little more, just a little. His mind turned to other things, predominantly drink. Then one night, when in the bottom of his cups, he heard her again. Her voice floated beautifully in the air and felt warm and soothing. "Undead...Wroughtwood...Dr. Lorn..."

He set out that very evening. He didn't get far the first night. Passed out in a ditch. But he had a mission now. Wroughtwood!

Traits: Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude. I have a joke for every occasion, especially occasions where humor is inappropriate.

Ideals: People. I'm committed to the people I care about, not to ideals. (Neutral)

Bonds: I protect those who cannot protect themselves.

Flaws: I have a weakness for the vices of the city, especially hard drink.

Last edited by Azure Nokori; 05-16-2019 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:17 AM
Super-Hero

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1055
JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone
give Kah'la a glance.
shes a bit short but i think you get the idea.

if you need a novel let me know ill build one, im just hoping to work that into the story..

Last edited by JohnStone; 05-15-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:22 AM
Auribus Teneo Lupum

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 529
Zwingli Zwingli Zwingli Zwingli Zwingli Zwingli
Application for Consideration
right-aligned image
Name: Saishu Nagaiyo, "Sai"
Race: Fallen Aasimar
Class: Planning to go Samurai if possibleFighter 1 / Hexblade 2
Alignment: Chaotic "He's... getting thereGood"
Background: Soldier
Personality: I can stare down a hell hound without flinching.
Ideal: Greater Good. Sometimes great sacrifices are required to achieve that which would benefit the weak.
Bond: I’ll never forget the crushing defeat my company suffered or the enemies who dealt it.
Flaw: My hatred of my enemies is blind and unreasoning.
History: Stare at the abyss long enough, and it stares back at you. Saishu was young and idealistic when he first joined the village militia. Suna was a budding port settlement, filled with human, orc, and even aasimar immigrants into the Dorian Realms. He had dreams of becoming captain some day, commanding men in defense of their women and children, perhaps even joining a worthy cause under some lord or noble. Besides, the whole reason why Sai and his people came into the archipelago was the promise of a better land, safe and quiet where nothing disastrous ever happened... So when the great maw sprung forth from the depths one night, all his dreams and hopes were cast down into its churning depths. All hell broke loose as waves of undead overran the whole village, razing it to the ground in a matter or minutes.

They stood no chance.

Saishu should have died himself; like the rest of his village. But perhaps there was something in his blood; some remnant of divine or celestial heritage that allowed him not only to survive, but to adapt. Instead of dying, the plague of darkness... changed him, twisting him from the inside; turning his skin from pale to shadowy brown, his white from corn-blonde to a ghostly white. He was by no means a weakling, but after his transformation, he knew that a strange power now coursed through his veins. Even his eyes burned with an overwhelming urge to explode, his hatred and despair mingling in his heart, turned into strength... Picking up one of the great swords that one of the fallen pit-fiends wielded, Saishu discovered for himself that he now had the power to fight the evil that had poured out of the screaming pit. Power to fight darkness with darkness... and win.

Now, the last of his line, Saishu roams the lands tracking every appearance of the infernal pit to the Abyss, killing every monster that would deign to set foot on the earth. He would be joined by other warriors sometimes, or would continue his mission alone; it did not matter. He would use what life and strength he had to make sure that what happened to his home would never happen to anyone else, whatever it took.

Wrought-wood was one of the busier towns that Sai has recently found himself in. Normally the warrior didn't mingle with common folk, content to defend them from a distance, in time of need; but one Dr. Lorn was said to have been calling on able men and women who has had experience in dealing with the undead. The call was said to have come from this town called Wrought-wood, by the Emerald River. More importantly, a member of the group calling themselves the Silver Nightbird had informed him that this elf was able to predict where a Pit was going to appear next. For too long Saishu had always been one step away, arriving to the scene of murder and carnage and great evil unleashed on poor, unprepared souls; a moment too late to save innocents. If there was even just a hint of truth to this claim, the aasimar was willing to join with the vilest filth if that meant stopping these portals from wrecking chaos and destruction upon the land once and for all. If the Pits would scream once again for the blood of the innocent, Sai intended to be there in time to prevent that from happening.

When are you deciding on a team, @Chchazz88?

Last edited by Zwingli; 05-16-2019 at 03:10 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:26 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 474
Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chchazz88 View Post
@Stadiumite, Ritter Quillen, daughter of a scribe, orphan, and blossoming adventurer! I am intrigued by your character because she seems to somewhat break the medieval mold that D&D tends to usually stick to (same as so many other genres of entertainment - ugh). I have only one question: What is Snubba? Is it a city?
Also, I lied, I have more questions. What was the campaign theme from where she was sourced? I'm partly asking to determine how well this campaign will fill those shoes. I think, I also want to know more about the way her parents died. Was she present, how did all that play out? I mean, that has to be pretty scarring for anyone, especially a teenager who can do magic and is unknowingly connected to the Great Old One!
Thanks for your application! I'm glad you chose this game.
Snubba was the city in the original campaign. It actually was similar to how you described Wroughtwood. I meant to edit the post to change the city name. I just missed one.

She did not witness the murder. Her father's business was not without danger. Copying documents for people can sometimes expose you to secrets that people are willing to kill for. Her mother had been worried about some work that they had taken on. She suspects that her parents were killed by organized crime.

The original campaign was run by Stonk. It was a series of unconnected adventures out of the city of Snubba. It seemed to be building up to some conspiracy. He may have intended to link Ritter's backstory into that.

I have found the scribe skills to be surprisingly useful. It has been fun to play.

I picture her aging into a pointy-hatted witch, with a general good nature. A little different that typical fantasy fiction.

Last edited by Stadiumite; 05-15-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:10 AM
CommunityCoffee Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8063
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
@Hiruma, let's kick this idea about a bit, your Barbarian and my Warlock having a connection.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:21 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku

Last edited by Hiruma Kohaku; 05-15-2019 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Misspelled GM name
Old 05-15-2019, 05:20 PM
CommunityCoffee Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8063
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Works for me. Mostly...
Old 05-15-2019, 06:37 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Old 05-15-2019, 09:47 PM
Saath

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1258
Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88 Chchazz88
@Azure NokoriI feel like Old Azure is one of those characters that I've seen a thousand times before but still don't really understand yet. I really like the picture you chose, and just the description in general! You did a good job creating someone who seems at once familiar and exotic. But I want more hard details and solid integration into the campaign. The two big questions are: Why is he in Wroughtwood at this time specifically, and why would he take this job out of any others?

Just because he's needed? I like that, actually, because it feels kind of mythical in the way he wanders around, doing what he needs to do and going where he needs to go. That's the quintessential chaotic good cleric, but I want to play into it more. By reputation, the Pit is not the kind of thing people just jump into on a whim, simply because no one comes back. I don't understand why he would subject himself to that just yet.

I also really like the fact that he's a soldier, but I want to know where he fought, and with whom, and against whom. To be honest, that might not come up all that much in the campaign, but I feel like it's a cool thing as far as roleplay goes to be constantly spouting off about his military career!

@JohnStoneNice. Tomboy's whole tribe gets killed and she goes from fighting the patriarchy to hunting for revenge. She ties into the campaign neatly and she's got some grit and personality to her. If you would like to, you can develop more - it's always fun for me when players give me NPCs to work with in their background - friends, family, enemies, etc. and in this case, it would give her someone to grieve over. Maybe create someone who was meaningful to her that she lost? If you think she's perfect as she is, that's ok as well. I don't want to push you beyond what you want to do.

I guess I would also ask where her questing has taken her? Has she interacted with the Silver Nightbirds before? Has she run into Dr. Lorn in the past? Why specifically is she in Wroughtwood right now?

@ZwingliIt seems like the Pits have upset a number of very powerful people! I think I will close applications relatively soon, but it's hard because I keep getting this parade of good apps! Idk, my choice is going to be very hard at this point. Probably around Sunday though, I think.

Anyway, I love Sai! I relish the style with which this app is written, and I love the picture! The revenge story is one that has made a number of appearances on this ad so far, but I especially like the determination and blinding conviction Sai exhibits.

So would you want him to be party of the Silver Nightbirds? Or maybe a free agent who frequently works with them? Or would he look down upon them as failures and cowards, waiting for the right time to strike at the enemy? He certainly would have encountered them before, as a man wholly devoted to wiping out the influence of the Shrieking Pits and an organization pledged to do the same.

Also, how is it that he happened to be in Wroughtwood at the time of the pit opening? Does he maybe already know Dr. Lorn? No one other than Lorn has been able to predict the opening locations of the pits up to this point, though it would also make sense for Sai to make his way around the countryside by horseback, wiping out any straggler undead at the site of the most recent pit.

I'm excited to see what you come up with! Thanks for applying!

@StadiumiteVery cool, well I like the definition you've lent Ritter, and I'm curious to see her development into that witch!

Old 05-15-2019, 10:08 PM
Auribus Teneo Lupum

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 529
Zwingli Zwingli Zwingli Zwingli Zwingli Zwingli
Thanks for the feedback, @Chchazz88!

No pressure, just wanted to know when to expect decisions. Glad you have a difficult time ahead of you!

I'm also glad you like Sai! I like him a lot as well, obviously! I had this idea for some time now, so when I read the app, he seemed perfect for the premise. I have some ideas about your questions churning in my pit, I mean head right now; let me just get them straight and back to you on that soon as I add to my app.

As far as him being part of the Nightbirds, I don't think he would be formally part of the order. Perhaps, being also a step behind the appearances of the Pits, he would have encountered members time and again; he would regard them as welcome help in the best of times, or major nuisances in the worst. The better warriors he would have conversed with, exchanging information but ignoring appeals or invitations to join. He imagines working alone as best, unhindered by ties or baggage, as he sees it.

EDIT: In line with this, I added a few lines to my application to explain the circumstances and reasons for why Sai would be in Wrought-wood at this time.

Last edited by Zwingli; 05-16-2019 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:12 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Old 05-15-2019, 11:21 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 488
Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori
Comments noted! I'll add a little bit more in the original post.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:44 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2433
Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus
Putting my character together in my head and i have a couple of mechanical question that will affect my choice in races. First are feats going to be allowed? if yes then will any/all of these feats be allowed?