RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 10-23-2017, 02:58 PM
Lord Inquisitor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4901
Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven
Ok, so I haven't messed with LA in a long time, and the online discussions are somewhat convoluted, so I wanted to check as to how you are running them(I have also seen multiple ways of running LA).

So if I took Lich template, it is LA+4. So would I Have 15 class levels, but have a +4 LA so I would need to get the xp difference between 15 and 20 to go up to level 16? Starting at 105000 xp I would need 190000 xp to reach level 16? Then for level 17 I would need 21st level worth of xp?

Also, will you allow buy offs? I would have to spend my first 60000xp to reduce the LA to +0 saving me 10000 xp net going to level 16, and significantly more from there on out.

And with an LA would I need to spend the 120000 gold?

Edit: Nvm RP potential is worth it, found a cool concept I really like. Just need to know about the gold is needed to be paid, and to make sure I am understanding LA correctly.

Last edited by Unforgiven; 10-23-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:36 PM
Paladin in Training

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 151
Fingmaniac Fingmaniac
I adjusted my stats and equipment, I look forward to your consideration. If there is anything I can do or need to adjust, please let me know. I love everyone's ideas on characters. Mine may be simple but he is a tank.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:56 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 413
Shakram Shakram Shakram Shakram Shakram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Ok, so I haven't messed with LA in a long time, and the online discussions are somewhat convoluted, so I wanted to check as to how you are running them(I have also seen multiple ways of running LA).

So if I took Lich template, it is LA+4. So would I Have 15 class levels, but have a +4 LA so I would need to get the xp difference between 15 and 20 to go up to level 16? Starting at 105000 xp I would need 190000 xp to reach level 16? Then for level 17 I would need 21st level worth of xp?

Also, will you allow buy offs? I would have to spend my first 60000xp to reduce the LA to +0 saving me 10000 xp net going to level 16, and significantly more from there on out.

And with an LA would I need to spend the 120000 gold?

Edit: Nvm RP potential is worth it, found a cool concept I really like. Just need to know about the gold is needed to be paid, and to make sure I am understanding LA correctly.

You may want to research lich types there may be another cheaper + Level adjustment out there. However it should be a different lich not the same one with a cheaper Level adjustment. Plenty of undead classes out there as well as savage progressions. Decrease the level by only buying some of the creatures abilities.

Savage Progressions:
http://archive.wizards.com/default.a...d/sp/20031212a

Table SP-12: The Lich Template Class

I updated the first page with a little information on +LA from the SRD
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/ra...djustments.htm
+4 LA Level adjustment.

Last edited by Shakram; 10-24-2017 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:40 PM
Lord Inquisitor

Tools
User Statistics
Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven
ok, I cannot find any lich that is not LA +4, though dry lich is +5. I will just go with the normal lich.

So I would start at Character Level 15 and have a 28000 XP deficit for the buyoffs and ECL of 17? so I would need to make up the xp deficit and then get enough xp to go to lvl 18 to get CL 16.

All that correct? My wife is whining at me every 10 minutes, so I am just trying to just get through a coherent thought right now, lol.

Last edited by Unforgiven; 10-23-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:46 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
ok, I cannot find any lich that is not LA +4, though dry lich is +5. I will just go with the normal lich.

So I would start at Character Level 15 and have a 28000 XP deficit for the buyoffs and ECL of 17? so I would need to make up the xp deficit and then get enough xp to go to lvl 18 to get CL 16.

All that correct?

Please have a look at my previous post I changed a few things. I think you need savage progressions. I reccomend you take 2 levels of lich then buy it off at levels 6 and 9. You wont be as powerful as a full +4 level adjusted lich but your character level will be 14ish I think.
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...65#post7724965
Old 10-24-2017, 12:04 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingmaniac View Post
I adjusted my stats and equipment, I look forward to your consideration. If there is anything I can do or need to adjust, please let me know. I love everyone's ideas on characters. Mine may be simple but he is a tank.
Your good however I dont like to have to look through books to find feat, spell, skill, item, and class information. So if you could copy paste the information into your character sheet it would be helpful.

In particular your non SRD feats and your non SRD race Yuan Ti Pureblood. I did a net search and it poped right up but only you can put it on your sheet.

Once we get alot of characters I cant look up every spell and item to see effects so I am asking players to copy paste stuff not in the SRD.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:24 AM
Lord Inquisitor

Tools
User Statistics
I don't really care about the powers, at lvl 15 they are basically useless because they don't scale. The paralysis touch is the most useful power, and only against low fort save enemies. I am really just going for being an undead with a phylactery that brings him back to life for his rp purposes. I would be fine with no powers or bonuses but being undead and having a phylactery(and calling myself a lich) if you would allow it.

If the CL cant start at 15 and be a lich I will rework the plan, would you be ok with having it as an in game goal at lvl 20?

Edit: I thought of a way to make it worth taking the template class, if it allowed you to advance spell-casting level(divine or arcane) then it would be a viable class pick. I could do wizard 1, lich 2, cleric 1, lich 2 and still meet the prereq for true necromancer. What do you think?

Last edited by Unforgiven; 10-24-2017 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:42 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 287
btccg btccg btccg
Quote:

All that correct? My wife is whining at me every 10 minutes, so I am just trying to just get through a coherent thought right now, lol.
Technically, with the ECL 15 limit for this game to start, your RHD/Class levels and LA cannot exceed the ECL 15 without going into savage progression. I think this would be 11K xp payoff for the LA reduction (so, 200K - 11K LA payoff = 189K is what you start with for XP total) and you would be class level 12 (you need 11th level for the 6th level spell casting requirement) and LA +3 for ECL 15 to start. You would then proceed to gain XP normally, needing the amount for 16th level in order to advance to class level 13, etc.

GM: am I correct in how this would work? Just trying to help Unforgiven get started as that sounds like a pretty cool concept...
Old 10-24-2017, 12:43 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
I don't really care about the powers, at lvl 15 they are basically useless because they don't scale. The paralysis touch is the most useful power, and only against low fort save enemies. I am really just going for being an undead with a phylactery that brings him back to life for his rp purposes. I would be fine with no powers or bonuses but being undead and having a phylactery(and calling myself a lich) if you would allow it.

If the CL cant start at 15 and be a lich I will rework the plan, would you be ok with having it as an in game goal at lvl 20?
Well I dont know of anything that could give you a complete philactery other than a lich, maybe a savage progression half vampire? I dont know its your character. However I dont know what a +LA for having philactery would be. The only one I see at the moment is +4 so sorry I cant help you there. You cannot be a lich and still have a caster level of 15, however you can have a caster level of 11.

Last edited by Shakram; 10-24-2017 at 12:45 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:48 AM
Lord Inquisitor

Tools
User Statistics
I see what your saying BTCCG, that is just too cripplingly weak I think though. A 15th lvl fighter would mop the floor with me, so I would not be very useful in fights for the group until I caught up in level. Most of the 3.5 templates have real problems with scaling.

Ok, no worries then Shakram, I will put it as his end goal!

Last edited by Unforgiven; 10-24-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:49 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccg View Post
Technically, with the ECL 15 limit for this game to start, your RHD/Class levels and LA cannot exceed the ECL 15 without going into savage progression. I think this would be 11K xp payoff for the LA reduction (so, 200K - 11K LA payoff = 189K is what you start with for XP total) and you would be class level 12 (you need 11th level for the 6th level spell casting requirement) and LA +3 for ECL 15 to start. You would then proceed to gain XP normally, needing the amount for 16th level in order to advance to class level 13, etc.

GM: am I correct in how this would work? Just trying to help Unforgiven get started as that sounds like a pretty cool concept...
Great concept but I think your doing the buyoff wrong according to the SRD variant rules on reducing level adjustments. I posted some info on it for him I will update the first page with more information on reducing levels. Because its a +4 level adjustment it cannot reach +0 level adjustment until he reaches level 30 as per the rules.

Last edited by Shakram; 10-24-2017 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:57 AM
Lord Inquisitor

Tools
User Statistics
and I am going to look for LA+0 undead templates, see what is out there.

Edit: ehhh nothing good that isn't super cheese.

Question: we are starting at 200000xp but only 15th lvl? I am confused by this, did I miss a post explaining it?

And how are hit points being done?

Last edited by Unforgiven; 10-24-2017 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:27 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
and I am going to look for LA+0 undead templates, see what is out there.

Edit: ehhh nothing good that isn't super cheese.

Question: we are starting at 200000xp but only 15th lvl? I am confused by this, did I miss a post explaining it?

And how are hit points being done?
Oh good question I will update first post with HP.
Hit points will be maximum per level.

XP was a typo my bad starting XP will be 105,000

Last edited by Shakram; 10-24-2017 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:27 PM
Da Draggin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3072
Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus
@Shakram

I'm working up my character. I'm toying with some new flavors along the way, and wanted to run this by you.

I'm planning playing a Druid//Planar Shepherd (FoE, 105), but wanted to reflavor that to be less straight up "nature" oriented and more world-wanderer.

I whipped up this little combination class to accomplish the reflavoring...it's on the attached PDF.

EDIT: Also, would like a ruling on wild shaping -- will we use the MM V rules that allow access to innate spellcasting (if any) possessed by forms taken?

Staff note: The attached PDF contained copyrighted/Non-OGL material and has been removed. - Inem

Just back from honeymoon, Please be patient :)

Last edited by Inem; 10-25-2017 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Removal of copyrighted material
Old 10-24-2017, 06:58 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 287
btccg btccg btccg
I see other people are taking the route of class and/or feat optimization. So, I'm gonna go a different path and play a monstrous character based on a creature from a tabletop game. So far, looks like a tauric creature - trying to find the right race and creature to fit the looks and background - with templates applied in places for some optimization, probably end up large size and rather ferocious and/or just have a bad attitude, but will not be evil in nature. Planned progression will include levels for barbarian, fighter and/or fist of the forest classes for flavor.

@GM: please let me know if you have any concerns with this concept and I'll run what I have past you first.

Last edited by btccg; 10-24-2017 at 06:58 PM.