RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #151  
Old 05-08-2019, 11:48 PM
Reliq0770's Avatar
Reliq0770 Reliq0770 is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-23-2019
RPXP: 728
Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770
Posts: 345
 

Cats and Kittens
right-aligned image
"No disguises here. It's all ...Na-tur-el baby." She stands and approaches you, her footsteps covering twice the distance yours easily. With a sly grin she squats down a bit... "Come on now, no reason to be shy, not here.. Mekeet would like to see what's hiding under there." Somehow, mostly likely through a spell you assume, she sensed your disguise and saw quickly through it, now asking for you to drop it if you'd like to continue your time here in the establishment. "Owner's rules... sorry sweetheart."

"Oh, I'll show you mine..." Vesper says, her suspicions about the woman confirmed by her own mouth. Vesper drops her disguise. "If you show me yours. I was told to ask for you, Mekeet. What say you and I talk in private?"


OOC

Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 05-09-2019, 11:13 AM
UngainlyFool's Avatar
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-23-2019
RPXP: 3342
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Posts: 2,191
Paranoia
right-aligned image
Ivy left the room with the other bottle of wine and Gordon watched her go as well. As he turned back to Jeb, he caught sight of MAC looming behind him and wondered without his master if the machine would take things into its own hand. As Jeb tried to smooth things out, Gordon slowly nodded and equally slowly lowered himself into his chair again. He appreciated Gajine's attempt to resolve the situation as well, but it was the host which had the final say. He pushed the base of his wine glass in a circle idly, swirling the golden liquid in a lazy wave within his glass.

He half smiled again in an effort to shake his embarrassment and set the table at ease. "Truly there is no reason to apologize for your daughter. I know she was just teasing. It was more the effect that I brought on Olivia and this fine meal that affected me. " He rotated to look at the girl and her protestations about the creature she saw in the water. It was a very detailed description and one that could come from imagination if it didn't correspond with the town's water problems so well. He agreed with Gajine's assessment of her, "It will take no effort to check out what Ellie says she has seen. If the water of this town is being diverted such a creature or creation might very well be responsible." Gordon didn't mention how he had come upon this information so as not to rat out what Olivia told him in desperation. He looked at the grub creature the blacksmith quickly drew and then the ring Gajine showed the girl. The arms of the thing suddenly struck Gordon as mechanical like perhaps the digging machines they used in Clifton to create new sewer lines, "Could it be that what you saw was a machine like Mister Alexander Culpepper or was it definitely fleshy like a grub?"


 
__________________
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 05-10-2019, 11:50 PM
MeredithS's Avatar
MeredithS MeredithS is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-23-2019
RPXP: 2193
MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS
Posts: 1,472
Who wants Desert....?

As Ivy and Olivia talked privately in Ellie's bedroom, Jebrin, Gordon, Gaijne and Ellie finished their dinner conversation at the table. Ellie had answered Gordon's last question of her about the creature she saw in the sewer grate and pointed to the Half-Orc's drawing with..." Looked a lot like that! Except it had some tentacle like arms with little claws or something... I couldn't see much else from where I was at.. but it was sooooo gross." Jebrin and Gajine finished up making plans for a late morning visit, somewhere around lunch time to pick up the cured hide, both men hoping it would be set, Jebrin seemingly convinced it would be due to the small amount of viable material anyhow. This would give Gajine enough time to head to the blacksmith for some personal business and to take care of those needs before heading out. The Silversets bid you all a good night, thanking Gordon for the wine and Gajine for the beautiful refinishing he had done to all of Jebrin's tools. The halfing promised to make mention of the Half-Orc's craftsmanship to all his business associates whenever possible and that both men were welcome to come visit with them whenever they were in town again.

Most of you found a good night's rest, others didn't. While Gajine's snoring rumbled the walls, occasionally disturbing those in meditation, Olivia tossed beneath the cotton sheets and light quilt that she was covered with. As she fell further into the dream world, the unreasonable became more understandable, what was usually fragments of people and places, turned into entire scenarios, almost like a memory coming to light.

left-aligned image

Standing in an open field, somewhere North in the region, amidst rolling dry fields of grass, you find yourself alone. No MAC, no ship... not sure how you got to this place...only the dry golden grass and a warm, soothing wind that brushed your face and swayed the earthen pasture. You knew it was somewhere North from where you were, just by the feel of the region you stand so utterly alone in. Not a tree for miles, nor buildings or people...or even the call of a crow. The plains seemed familiar in a way that was more of instinct then memory or recollection. Something ingrained within you, like a natural compass. You just..simply..know. Try as hard as you might, however, the name doesn't come to you, this place you have been to before, this place that you could feel.

Trying to concentrate on it, you fail, moment after moment...for however long it took, you can't remember. Giving up, you let your arms stretch over the golden Savannah, letting your finger-tips dance atop the blades that pushed and pulled with the warm winds filtering through. You feel a sense of letting everything go...not giving up or giving in, but a release that needed to be offered up.Your eyes close, your breathing evens in a slow, steady rhythm. When you open your eyes you find yourself in front of an immovable six foot tall rod planted deep into earth. It hadn't been there moments before but there it was there now. The iron rod sparkled against the high summer sun, almost begging to be touched, asking to be pulled. You reach out to grasp it, letting your fist clench around it.

The sky above cracks with a thunderous machine like sound, a breach opening that parts the vivid blue sky into two. A dark void begins to spread like black oil from the crack, dripping upon the earth and covering the golden sea of grass. The Rod shakes within your grasp, gleaming still and begins to glow in a radiant white light.. you can not move the rod...you can not release your hand, as the blackness begins to crawl toward you. You scream, and no sound can be heard. Your tears fall upon dry earth and the plague that has become a sea, barrels towards you. As you brace yourself for impact...you wake up.



About the same time, someone else finds themselves caught in a chaotic whirlwind of dream sequences as well, though Vesper's are far less fluid in nature. The entropy surrounding her thoughts held her mind in a tight grip, seizing her physical body and paralyzing her ability to even flinch. She recognizes somewhere, deep inside the dreamscape, that breathing was becoming more arduous, but lacked any ability to escape, if she even wanted to.

right-aligned image

Tick....Tick....Tick... DONG, the clock strikes once....DONG...twice....DON...but at the third strike it stopped short of completion, soon followed by a second of still silence and suddenly a cacophony of clocks and chimes all go off at once. As you hold your head at the sound, you can't help but feel overwhelmed at the bells firing all around you, surrounding you with echo upon echo of rings and tolls. It stops instantly and yet... somewhere in the back of your mind, it continues to replay over and over, seemingly to rewind and start again...and again ... and again. You get the feeling that this will continue forever at this rate, that you'll be stuck in this stagnancy if you don't make the effort to move... but you can't move, there are too many bells, too many distractions obscuring the way. Your serpent like eyes are forced open, you're unable to close them, something holding you in a way that is restrictive..yet purposeful. You were supposed to see something...it flickered out before you..this faint coppery glow, slowly pulsating in the far distance, just beyond the clocks...just beyond the tolls. "Vesssssper...." A familiar voice slowly speaks your name, a strong commanding voice that excites you and takes all of your attention instantly....."Don't let the gears get in the way Vesper. There's much to do." Chronos' voice trails in your thoughts as you feel your body finally unclenched and the air return to your lungs...You're panting, your chest heavy and your mind racing as you, too, wake up.

As morning finds you all, at some point you make your way into the tavern, Andwair has bacon, fresh eggs and bloody mary's all ready to go as a buffet type of setup at the bar counter. Clean water and boiling tea are offered to anyone not wanting the strong tomato juice type drink. He greets you with a lazy grin and nods his head to you, as the entire group finally reconviens together. You begin to discuss your thoughts and ideas of what to do next, where to go...realizing that you've put off the faire and most likely won't make it, facing a crossroads at this point. You've realized that the benefit of staying together to accomplish some of these adventures is beneficial to everyone involved, everyone having a reason or desire to forge ahead, doing so as a group has already made clear that pursuing these wants and wishes are easier together then alone. As you sit together now, you look upon each of these people around you, understanding that even though you're so very different, you share more common ground then once previously thought and even formed friendships with one another in some way.

As you discuss everyone's intent or interest of what to do next, some make successions but ultimately decide to head over to Hence, explaining or reiterating the need to do so.The plan being that after finishing there... you would come back to Merchant's Rest and address the issue with whatever was going on with the water...in which, that being spoken about, Vesper had some interesting developments about the well in the center of the road...

Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 05-11-2019, 01:12 PM
MeredithS's Avatar
MeredithS MeredithS is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-23-2019
RPXP: 2193
MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS
Posts: 1,472
The Power of Gond

From dawn's first light, Gajine had a simple agenda, to teach Vesper the basics of forging and to create a simple hook and chain as an example for the young girl. As the fresh morning air greeted them, the dew from the early day shimmering on the blades of grass they passed brushed against their boots, dampening the leather. The Cleric and Warlock chatted about safety in the shop, Gajine describing the precautions of the hot melted metal baths, the burning embers of the ovens and warned of how to avoid the burns with the right tools and shop apparel.

The Blacksmith accepts a small payment of 5 silver for the use of his shop, as Gajine explains the need to use the forge, he lets you both in and sets about his own routine that morning, leaving you to your own needs. As you go into the outside hearth and furnace you realize there's nothing that quite compares to the smell of a blacksmith shop. It's there in the air; a distinct odor that hangs thick, burning the nostrils with the distinctly industrial stench of coal dust and molten iron. Gajine begins showing Vesper the various tools and areas of the shop, explaining the furnace functions, the water barrels, the moldings and cooling racks. He sets you a safe distance from the sparks immediate zone when he sets the hammer to the metal and begins the process of a new forge while trying to explain what he's doing.

Somewhere, though, he loses the ability to accurately relay his actions, you, Vesper, see a uniquely, almost mystical like focus start to take root. Gaining his attention, is fruitless, as his passion and drive take hold of him. Between the ignition of brilliant sparks and fiery stars that sizzle around the Half-Orc, it takes you a second but eventually you can see a large and aged hand begin to materialize around Gajine's with the hammer. In every swing and pound of the metal he works, this second hand seems to direct the points of contact in the metal. The hand slowly becomes an entire arm and soon enough, an aged man with a long red, curly beard, wearing a worn brown leather apron over his green tunic, appears beside Gajine. This man, or being, neither acknowledges you or notices you. He simply continues to guide his apprentice in his work. The sparks continue to spray until Gajine pushes the metal into a water barrel, leaving the mysterious man's presence until he's simply gone.

left-aligned image

Legendary Trap
Hook and Chain Grappling Trap.
1d4 Slashing Damage upon successful grapple, +5 to Strength Checks when using the trap to Grapple, Range is (5/25 Ft)
Using the tool requires an Action. Resetting the tool can't be done in combat, so once it's deployed, you need to be out of combat to reset it. It CAN get damaged during combat, the more you use it, the more ware and tear. You can use this item as many times as your level + proficiency in your smith tools until it breaks


-OoC-
Dice Rolls for Crafting, based on 6 hours of work, with bonus location and proficiency in correct tools used.)
Forging Rolls

Last edited by MeredithS; 05-11-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 05-11-2019, 05:37 PM
Tyeal's Avatar
Tyeal Tyeal is offline
Superior Sorcerer Supreme
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-23-2019
RPXP: 4259
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
Posts: 1,794
Post
left-aligned image
Lady Vilthal

Vilthal diligently worked on the still that was promised, occasionally looking up from her project to see the patronage of the inn. It seemed there were more people than yesterday at least. Even if it was just a couple faces she didn't quite recognize. Seemed like word about the Hair Bear Inn was starting to get around and folks were curious about Andwair's renovations. His menu definitely needed work but Vilthal was a mechanist not a cook.

Vesper's Offer"That looks amazing!" She says, spraying bits of bacon from her mouth as she hasn't finished chewing yet. "Oh, I finished helping Kiirion. He has his pet back. One promise down... Speaking of promises, can I give you a hand with anything? Oh, and I do plan on going out tonight to check out the Well about the water problem and to investigate something else that might help Andwair. I'm letting you know so that you'll know where I'm going, what I'm doing, and what I'll look like. You can come with me if you'd like. If not, no big deal. I'll try not to get into any trouble. Just want to look at the well, talk to some people and check out this Brothel thing." Vesper shakes her head, reverting back to the disguise she was wearing earlier in the day. "See! I learn." She smiles broadly, much like a child trying too hard to impress their parent.

Vilthal was quite glad in that moment to have her goggles on as she had been testing the lines with water to make sure the still could maintain pressure. The bacon bits bouncing harmlessly off her equipment as Vesper explained herself. She shifted her goggles up and rubbed her eyes, taking a deep breath and having to recall social skills after having her head buried so deeply in her work. "Help... Right. Sure, ya can help me with finishin' this Vesper. Once it's done we'll have a talk in the mornin' regardin' this whole... experience, let's call it. Also need t'ask everyone if they want a piece of gear inscribed so I can store spells in 'em some time. That may as well be a whole class unto itself when I get around t' it." She rubbed the corners of her eyes as she continued. "An' I'm not interested in seein' anyone at a brothel Vesper. I know we already got so much work that'll need doin' an' I'm not interested in doin' Work if ya catch my drift." She manages a slightly tired smile and nudges her shoulder gently. "An' yeah, I see you're learnin'."



It wasn't until late that night that everyone trickled back in after an invited dinner.

Upon hearing the dinner recounted to her Vilthal was pleasantly surprised to hear the evening was eventful without being utter chaos. It sounded like everyone behaved and were treated well. She yawned and finished her project with Vesper's help before she left that evening, and went into her shared room with Gordon. Before she did she took a few copper from her coin purse and etched her newly solidified runes into them and added a few spells to each, storing them for tomorrow after hearing they would investigate the well and the possible monster being the source of the corrupting flow. With that done she settled into her Trance for the night, crossbow loaded with safety on across her lap.



A New Day DawnsVilthal was up early was was her usual routine. The first rays of dawn were starting to peer over the buildings and peer into their rooms. The common room was empty once again but now she had nothing in her way. Eagerly and armed with a ration from her pack she set about starting her Pet Project. With iron and wood she began to carefully, under her cloak to muffle the sound, bend and shape sheets of iron for the body and carve wood down for structure and support. She would just smile hugely to herself as her creation began to take shape. If she couldn't power a full-sized golem then perhaps she could manage something smaller and more portable. She continued to have her cloak up as she worked and her allies all awoke for the day, only pulling it away to carefully store her work in her backpack and smooth out her hair from being under heavy cloth for a number of hours.

"So! What're we doin' first today?"


Stat Block
 
__________________
I am never without protection. Forever am I armed with razor wit and a sharp mind. - Anonymous
The RNG gods favor those that roleplay well. - Something I say very often
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 05-13-2019, 10:18 AM
Retry's Avatar
Retry Retry is online now
Here to help
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-23-2019
RPXP: 4212
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Posts: 2,527

Gajine Flintshard
Male Half-Orc Cleric of the Forge
 

Early BirdWaking with a jolt from his bed at the inn the half-orc panted trying to get his bearing. Realizing he was in his rented room he began to calm down and wiped the cold sweat from his face. That dream again, he wasn't appreciating this. Sleep was suppose to be a nice and comforting thing! Not a place where you can be harassed by a dream-goblin! He looked out the window and saw the sky was mostly overcast again with rays of sun peaking through. It looked like it wanted to going off the fantasy calendar for 6/12/852rain again but it wouldn't be as bad as yesterday morning. "Good enough!" he said with a huff getting out of bed and started the process of getting dressed.

Once in his work clothes he laid out his utility belt on his bed and thought carefully on what he wanted to preparing spells; selected spells have changed.
Dropped Create/Destroy Water and Healing Word for Lesser Restoration and Command.
use for the day. Content with what he decided on he gave a moment to pray to Gond for he was on his way to the local forge and wanted to make sure he wouldn't embarrass himself in front of his friend. Finishing his prayer he laid out his chainmail and shield on the bed and pondered for a moment before deciding against wearing the chain mail for now. Crafting with it on was stifling, he'd don it when he got back. He tapped his shield providing it his blessing before strapping it to his back and was finally ready to be on his way.

Stopping by Vesper's room to fetch her and inquiring why she didn't look as rested as she should be before leading the way downstairs where he saw Vilthal diligently working away on her project. "Be back in a few" he called over to her not knowing if she heard him or not. He understood how one could get when they were focusing completely on something. The world around them would seem to fade and only leave them and their project.

Outside he paused a few feet in front of the inn and let out a long stretch along with a low grunt. "Ah! Today be a fine day fer craftin, don't ya say?" he looked to his companion before venturing off towards the blacksmiths. He had a project that has been sitting in his mind since the first dream occurred the other day. A tool that he felt would help the team if he could make it properly. Only Gond could tell if the Half-orc was up to it or not.

Taking care of businessOnce they arrived and paid the fee Gajine started his lesson. He started off well enough covering what she needed to know before they began actually forging, the foundations of safety were always important and he had the scars to show for what would occur if one didn't heed safety. "What we're gonna be makin is a tool - simple in concept but..." he paused as if recalling something "Ifn we're going to keep travelin togetha I need ta be of more use ta tha group. Evenin ifn it means just holdin tha thing down." adjusting his bandana nervously he moved over to start prepping the mold "I tire of bein dead weight ta tha others." realizing he was dampening the mood he shook his head and that attitude away with it "Nevermind me though! Le's get ta teachin ya, what do ya say?!" letting out a fake laugh and forcing his fool's grin he then started his lesson.

Things started fine until he actually started crafting and then everything around him began to fade. His only focus was this tool and the hammer he was using to affix the chain to it and shape it. The words that came from his mouth were incoherent at best and his accent only multiplied the difficulty to understand what was being said. Pushing the heated metal into the water barrel and seeing the steam rise he looked back to her with a confident grin. "Sorry, was out of it fer a bit there. Ye have any questions which I kin answer, lass?"purposefully leaving this open-ended for Reliq can have some fun - we can even campfire it if he wants {note}

Onto the next adventureReturning to the Hair of the Bear with Vesper in tow the half-orc walked in beaming with confidence and pride. It felt great to be crafting again after a few days break and even though it was but a simple tool his work felt masterful in his mind, it was like Gond himself was guiding his hammer blows! Affixed to what could only be viewed as a reel on his back was a spool of thick metal chains that were connected to the center of a metal hook. The hook itself had looked so sharpened it had the appearance that was more akin to that of a bladed weapon than an actual hook. A very simple tool by design, yet the craftsmanship that went into it was flawless, and thus the half-orc was overly proud of himself despite its slightly odd design.

Smelling the bacon the cleric quickly started his way over in fear that Vesper would beat him to it and take all the bacon, again. With I wanted to let Vesper swoop in if she felt like it whatever he managed to get he arrived at a table and sat down to eat as everyone went about their things. "I'm ready fer whatever ya need of me!" he said proudly with a mouth full of bacon, he couldn't wait to try this tool. He knew the others knew of the water issue and was sure that would be brought up to handle today but he also knew the others had to make their way over to Hence for the Magus' request. He decided he would go with whatever they wanted, but he wanted to handle the water issue soon so the fine folks he met so far wouldn't have to worry any more than they needed.
__________________
Want to explore a vast sandbox steampunk world and be villainous? Of course you do!
Apply to Waeveran Outlaws today!!

Last edited by Retry; 05-15-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 05-13-2019, 10:51 AM
UngainlyFool's Avatar
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-23-2019
RPXP: 3342
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Posts: 2,191
In Tune
right-aligned image
Once again, Vilthal spent a few hours in his room but this time the only sign of her being there were slightly shifted belongings. He found it odd that the elf chose his room for her meditations. She even had passed her proud coin invention to him first to examine. They hadn't really spent much time alone since the council alone together and he wondered as he got himself collected this morning whether he should correct that. She was a woman of convictions and he wondered if she saw the same in him after their words in the courtyard of the residence and if that might be the reason.

But as he made his way down the stairs she was busy again with her works and so he put that conversation off for later. The market in the morning was always the most energizing time. Hope for a new day of sales and new clientele generally brought out the best in merchants. He didn't know exactly what he was strolling the stalls for until he found it; an old guitar with 3 missing strings and a worn body and frets seemed to call to him. He had heard them played in Clifton and Kirdy and been invited to pick one up to fiddle with in taverns time to time but now it seemed the time to learn the instrument in earnest. There were long hours ahead of him and passing the time writing in a journal seemed too lonely and personal. Gordon preferred to interact and entertain. With normal haggling expected and in fact some times demanded by roadside vendors, he was able to pick it up for a bargain because it was in such bad shape. He knew with time he could fix it up, however.

Eagerly returning to the Hair of the Bear, guitar in hand, Gordon nodded to Vilthal and Gajine and Vesper but made his way to the stairs. It happened that he came across Olivia coming down at the same time. MAC loomed over her and he wasn't sure how they may or may not get past the embarrassment at the Silversets. Still he spoke plainly as if it hadn't occurred. One must allow oneself new beginnings. He was actually glad for the chance opportunity as he didn't want her to think he was hounding her. "Good morning, Oilvia. Mr. Cullpepper." He tipped his hat to both. "The Silversets are wonderful hosts. I'm glad I had the opportunity to enjoy their company last night." He straightened himself and his hat more formally for the next. "It seems after these few days the weather has cleared enough for our group to continue their obligations. We have been asked to journey to Hence to pick up a package for a Gordon doesn't know or care to differentiate spellcasters Wizard. It seems a menial task for the lot of us, yet he assures us that it will help in a momentous event ahead. If Zayne does not require your services, I thought I might ask your assistance in piloting us there. Your airship would significantly speed our journey and I'm sure we could compensate you for the time and fuel. I am anxious to be done with this chore so that I might continue my own journey. The sooner it is done, the sooner I can also look into that creature Ellie mentioned last night at the river. I am very interested in resolving that mystery." He watched her face as he spoke, but it would be her words that told the most about what would become of their association.


 
__________________
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas

Last edited by UngainlyFool; 05-13-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 05-13-2019, 05:24 PM
DaysUntold's Avatar
DaysUntold DaysUntold is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-23-2019
RPXP: 2678
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Posts: 773
Olivia
left-aligned image

Olivia woke with a start to a metal finger prodding her out of her stressful slumber. She bolted up quickly, finding herself clammy and tangled in blankets that were thrown about as she slept. Memories of golden fields, sickening blobs of darkness, and a rod of light that held her captive rushed back to her and she threw her arms around MACs neck, taking comfort in his presence.

After a minute of composing herself, she realized that her head was pounding, most likely from the night before. Not much had happened after she'd come back down to dinner. She'd remained pretty quiet until the other two left and she helped clean up after dinner, which was when she finally got a chance to ask Ellie about what her invention for the fair had been. She shook her head, trying to clear it, and set about getting dressed and ready for the day. She spent a good 15 minutes trying to scrub off the 'Olivia and Ellie BFFs' off of the bottom of MAC's shoe, which he kept showing her until she attempted to remove it. She smiled as she worked, thinking about him sitting through it, despite how irritating it was for him. In the end, all she ended up doing was blurring the ink, so she took out her own ink and made a slight adjustment instead.

It was getting time to leave. She'd been in Merchant's Rest for a while now, longer than she usually was in one spot, and she was getting a bit antsy - not to mention all of the trouble she seemed to keep finding herself in these past two days. With her bag across her back and MAC trailing behind her, she started down the hall, only to find Gordon approaching her.

"The Silversets are wonderful hosts. I'm glad I had the opportunity to enjoy their company last night."he commented.

"Yea, they are good people," she responded as if nothing had happened, though the redness in her cheeks probably gave away otherwise. However, she found herself breathing in relief that things seemed to be normal between them again, though it was hard to tell exactly what normal was since they barely knew each other.

Gordon's request startled her a bit. She was heading to deal with the 'water monster' with MAC before heading out of town on their own. She was so used to being alone that she hadn't even stopped to consider asking the others for help. "You'll know who to trust and know when someone trusts you or not." Ivy had said.

She thought for a minute and MAC shifted his weight behind her, clearly unsure which way this conversation was heading. "I'll take you on two conditions." she said, a smile returning to her face. "One, we get back here to take care of Ellie's monster today. Two, if you help with that you're not paying me. You have all done a ton for Andwair and Merchant's Rest, fixing this water problem is going to end up with me in your debt."

"I have a couple things I need to get ready before we head out. How long do you think it will take for everyone to get ready?" she asked. "There's a meadow about a mile west of here where the ship is docked. Just follow the main road past and it will be on the left. Kind of hard to miss, it's the only ship there." She started walking towards the stairs, then added on teasingly, "and I will leave you in Hence if you take too long."

Olivia made her way down the stairs and stopped at the bar long enough ask for a roll and a piece of bacon from Andwair. "Well, I guess I'm your ride. I'll see you in a few," she said to those in the room as she leaned back against the bar. After Andwair handed her the food she headed out the door, MAC trailing behind her with a blurry 'Olivia and Ellie ^& MAC BFFs' written on his foot.



Stat Block - Olivia
 
__________________
Many a flower is born to blush unseen and waste its sweetness on the desert air

Eye of Solaris | The Great Exile | Return to Karredral | Waeveran Legends | Madness in Stephanovo

Last edited by DaysUntold; 05-14-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 05-14-2019, 12:57 PM
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-23-2019
RPXP: 932
ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart ColorsOfTheHeart
Posts: 647
Kiirion
right-aligned image


Once Vesper left, Kiirion removed the Arcane Lock spell from the door. Though he had been tempted to keep it up longer. For the first time in a little while, Kiirion spent the evening alone. After suffering multiple panic attacks over the last few days, it was nice to be alone again. He sat on his bed, Filia curled up in his lap, and reread some of his favorite childhood novel. He probably should have been downstairs helping Vilthal with the still, or something like that. But screw that, he needed this.

In the morning, Kiirion was far more relaxed that he had been since, well the council. Of course he was still a ball of pure anxiety, but he didn't seem ready to panic at every little thing. Not even the chaos of breakfast bothered him too much. Filia seemed to be in a good mood as well, she scampered around the table and stole bacon off of people's plates. Which Kiirion didn't think would be good for a normal weasel, but since she was techinically a Fey creature, it was probably fine.

When the conversation went to what they should do next, Kiirion was adamant that they go to Hence. Helping Magus and the Star Elf was incredibly important. Figuring out the water issue and the strange monster was important as well of course. But they could handle that when they got back. It was a bit selfish of the Wizard, but he wanted to see the Star Elves return to their home. During the argument, he almost admitted that he couldn't return to his own home but managed to bite tongue at the last moment. He didn't need that conversation to happen. Because then they would ask why.

Trying to get his mind off the mistake that he had nearly made, he focused his thoughts on the monster. Racking his brain for any book he had read, or story he had heard that had something similiar to it. And then his blood ran cold. Sensing the change in his mood, Filia stopped tormenting Vilthal and bolted back to the Wizard. "Sh*t! It's a Nilshai! Ellie saw a Nilshai. It's the only thing similiar. Remember when Magus talked about it yesteday. It's the creature that drove the Star Elves from their home, the one capable of countering and casting spells within seconds of each other. It's the only thing I can think of that's even close." This made things a lot more complicated.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 05-14-2019, 04:06 PM
Tyeal's Avatar
Tyeal Tyeal is offline
Superior Sorcerer Supreme
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-23-2019
RPXP: 4259
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
Posts: 1,794
Post
left-aligned image
Lady Vilthal

She was hearing the finer details of the evening as detailed by Gordon, hearing him state what their objectives for today will be. The woman Magus wanted them to visit in Hence was at the top of the list which was to be expected. However, Vilthal felt her world slow and her eyes widen as Gordon stated just two words. Two words that made her mechanist heart stop for a beat, send her mind whiring, and made her take a deep, chest-filling breath.

Your airship-

Her hands shot up to cover her mouth as she screamed into them in excitement. She had heard Olivia mention a ship but she thought it was some crazy land skipper or a wind sail! Not a bonafide airship!! It took a few muffled screams into her gloves before she was 'calm' enough to actually speak, resulting in just a veritable surge of syllables from her mouth. "OhmygodsOhmygodsOhmygodsIdidn'tevenwanttoconsider OliviahadanairshipIcanlearnsomuchfromherandMACWego ttamakesurewestayonhergoodsideafterHenceandcomingb ackhereIneedtolayhandsonthatshipandfigureouthowitw orksMaybeitandMAChavesimilaritiesintheirfunctionin thepresenceofstrongarcaneenergiesImustlearnifmyeng inecanpowersuchavesselOliviawaitupI'mgonnahelpya!!" After that burst of sound from the Elf she grabbed her pack from under the table,secure her large toolbelt and weapons and took off into the morning streets. Moving at a break-neck speed to catch up with Olivia and lay hands on that very symbol of ingenuity and imagination that was her airship!


Stat Block
 
__________________
I am never without protection. Forever am I armed with razor wit and a sharp mind. - Anonymous
The RNG gods favor those that roleplay well. - Something I say very often
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old 05-14-2019, 10:41 PM
Reliq0770's Avatar
Reliq0770 Reliq0770 is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-23-2019
RPXP: 728
Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770
Posts: 345
 

Morning Work
right-aligned image
As she returned to the Hair of the Bear, Vesper's wet pants left damp footprints as she traversed the inn and made her way to her room. She was happy and satisfied with her night's adventures, as well as the directive from Chronos. Entering her room, she locked the door, slipped out of her clothes, pulled a Reading "The Flies of Lords"book from her backpack and wrapped herself in the comfort of the pages until drifting off to sleep.

Vesper awoke, somewhat disheveled but focused. She had dreamt about and dwelled on Chronos' directive and agreed with it. She got dressed, completed her morning inventory ritual, gathered her belongings, tucked Nibbles away in her pocket and heard a knock at her door. Answering it, she was greeted by Gajine who remarked that she wasn't as rested as she should have been. She supposed he was probably right. Nevertheless, he had come to fetch her for a blacksmithing lesson.

'Yesss!' She thought, following Gajine to the forge. 'Time to learn something practical and see if I can make this thing.'

Vesper had been thinking of creating an item ever since they had encountered the mechanical birds and she opened her backpack to ensure that she had the necessary materials.

Arriving at the forge, Vesper immediately inquired from the owner if they had any introductory guides or books on blacksmithing for sale. Eager to soak up any knowledge of the craft that she could, she offered to OOC: At a reasonable price, of coursepurchase any books that they had for sale.

During his lesson, Vesper watched and listened to all of Gajine's instructions. He was a master, or at least highly adept, at his craft... His words of warning and safety cautions were to be headed. She would often ask a question about different tools, precautions that needed to be taken, and the names of different items. She supposed that it was probably quite odd to see her so focused and coherent. But this was something that she knew she needed to make. It was important. She forced the myriad of distracting thoughts from her mind and focused. She watched as he expertly crafted some strange sort of contraption that she didn't understand, but his laser-like focus captured her attention and firmly held onto it. As he finished he said;

"Sorry, was out of it fer a bit there. Ye have any questions which I kin answer, lass?"



Hence ForthAs Gajine and Vesper made their way back into the Hair of the Bear, they appeared to arrive just in time for bacon and conversation. Vesper immediately went for the sizzling meat, but then noticed that Gajine was going for it as well. She glanced towards Lady Vilthal, Mama Vilthal is ALWAYS watching. LOL!not sure if she was watching... but then thinking; What Would Lady Vilthal Do?'W.W.L.V.D?' she took only a few pieces of bacon and, with a smile, offered the rest of the plate to Gajine.

Vesper listened as the group discussed their next move, learning that, apparently Olivia had access to an airship. This could, definitely, prove useful as Vesper knew she was on a deadline. She needed to make good on her end of the bargain she struck if there was any chance at achieving her goals. However, she also wanted to heed Chronos' directives and 'Not let the gears get in the way of the work.' And, indeed, there was work to be done. She glanced at the feint pulse of the brand on her hands and felt ashamed that she had been neglecting this responsibility.

At the mention of traveling to Hence to pick up a package for the Magus, Vesper continues to become more invested in the conversation, but doesn't add anything to it. She is content to listen. Visiting the Magus to learn more about the Tarokka Cards was indeed on her list of things to do so things appeared to be lining up for her. When the conversation then turned to returning to Merchant's Rest to assist with the water crises, she allowed a smile to cross her lips.

"Fantastic!" She whispered to herself.

So long as they made it back within a few days, they could resolve the water crises and make her meeting with Mekeet. And, according to Olivia, the airship would be able to make that round trip within the same day. It seemed as if everything was going according to plan.

With the mention of returning to assist with the water crisis, Vesper interjected the results of her investigation of the Well in the center of town;

"So, I went down into the Well last night to see if I could find the source of the water issue. At the bottom there's mud and coins and stuff... But, there's also a hole in the wall of the well. It's about..." Vesper uses her hands to approximate the size of the 3 ft diameter hole; "This big... The hole looks like it has been there a while. I didn't go through it because I didn't want to cause any more problems." She looks at Lady Vilthal and smiles, obviously proud of herself. "I did look through the hole and saw some yucky spiders and cobwebs and stuff though... Oh, and it hurts if you fall when climbing down the well... we should avoid falling if possible." She rubs her posterior where she had impacted the ground the night before. "Oh, and I didn't take any of the money that people through down there. People make wishes on that money and I didn't want to mess with their wishes."
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 05-15-2019, 09:23 AM
Retry's Avatar
Retry Retry is online now
Here to help
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-23-2019
RPXP: 4212
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Posts: 2,527

Gajine Flintshard
Male Half-Orc Cleric of the Forge
 

Oops...With a mouthful of delicious bacon Gajine listened to the best of his ability to what his companions were saying. Seeing Olivia and MAC leave didn't trigger anything in him right away, he was more interested in what Master Kiirion was speaking of. "I've no clue what any of that be, Master Kiirion but it sounds like trouble, yeah? We shouldn't let live a creature like that ere, right?" This was worrisome. He thought it was just some big grub monster, never did he think it would be a killer of an entire race. The thought didn't sit well with him. It was then that Vilthal exploded with a torrent of word vomit, if he hadn't worked in a store front most his life or have met Vesper he was sure he wouldn't understand a damned thing. He did catch a keyword though "airship," and he slowed his chewing. Today was just getting better and better by the minute for ol' Gajine!

He wanted to get up and leave but when he heard Vesper begin talking he stopped his progress and remained. Would be rude to walk out when his comrades were talking to him. Listening to the findings at the well he couldn't help but wonder if that was connected with what Master Kiirion said. "This doesn't sit right with me." he took a deep breath "I feel Ellie's grub - er.. tha not a typo, just mispronouncedNolshae could be connected ta tha well, as well. We should take a look at it soon. Dun want that affectin these fine folk here, that I don't." He stood up from the table "Ifn you'll excuse me. I ave some business I need ta tend to." he said quite calmly leaving his plate with some bacon on it still and pushed in his chair. Then, as if someone fired off a starting pistol, broke into a mad dash for the stairs.

Charging up into his room he rushed over to his chainmail and slung it over his shoulder. No time to put it on now, he had to go! But something grabbed his attention. Off in the corner of the room. He paused and looked at it realizing his mistake. There laying on the floor in the corner were two leather bags just caked in dried blood and hellhound sinew. He had forgotten to give those to Jeb!!! Panic set in as he feared the punishment that he would get from Lady Vilthal. No! She hasn't asked so she probably forgot! Yeah, that's right! There is still time! He can hand it to Jeb when he goes and picks up the leather after returning! There was still time!!
"Wait fer me!" he yelled at the bloodied bags as if they could hear him and ran out the door darn near leaping down the stairs and out the door after Olivia, MAC, and Lady Vilthal "Wait fer me!!!" he shouted seeing them off in the distance.

 
__________________
Want to explore a vast sandbox steampunk world and be villainous? Of course you do!
Apply to Waeveran Outlaws today!!

Last edited by Retry; 05-15-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 05-15-2019, 11:37 AM
UngainlyFool's Avatar
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-23-2019
RPXP: 3342
UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool UngainlyFool
Posts: 2,191
Adventure manifested
right-aligned image
Having worked alone for so many years, Gordon found a comfort around the table of like minds. It took a load off his shoulders to research every problem or unknown by himself. That Kiirion was able to identify the creature that Ellie had seen by his vast knowledge and that Vesper had already looked unto the well was a boon to them all. As first Vilthal and then Gajine bolted after Olivia to see the airship for the first time, Gordon smiled to the remaining two. " Your news is dire," he said first to the Wizard, " But knowing a thing is the first step to overcoming it. We will make sure to ask the woman in Hence we are to meet for more information. It's clear from what the Magus said that she knows a great deal of the problem at hand.." Turning to Vesper he said, "Well done on your detective work, Vesper! If we are unable to reach the problem by the river grate, the well may be the key to our approach. I wonder if there is a way that we might all be protected from drowning should the tunnel flood?"

He thought about each of those things in silence for a moment before sighing a nd getting up. "I suppose we should follow lest we miss the boat." He went upstairs and gathered his tools and guitar. An hour or so trip on the airship would allow him plenty of time to get it fixed up or at least started. He helped the others with their belongings if they required it and walked with them and talked more about the Nilshai and the water problem. In the bouts of sun and light drizzle it was not as hard to locate the dry docks Olivia pointed them to. As they rounded the curve in the path around a copse of trees Gordon slowed his step and within a few footfalls came to a stop.

He had been on an airship once before; a large cruiser that floated over the city of Clifton in a lazy circle, invited on its inaugural flight to show off the armaments and armor that showed its dominance in the sky. He remembered enjoying the feeling and the view but not necessarily the vessel itself which was bare and spartan and made for a single purpose.

This ship was different.

There in the flowing grasses hovering in the embrace of a simple wooden scaffolding that served as a dock was the airship. The spined mainsail and keel both stayed folded waiting to reach out and grip the wind like a dragon's wings when the trip would begin. The warm varnished wood of the hull told of long hours of meticulous care, the terraced decks ornately gripped by a gifted artisan's filigree. The three propellers in the aft rolled in a lazy counter-spinning rotation brought into motion by a pre-flight test of the engine. and provided a false sense of motion by the corkscrewed drive shaft. But it was the last that caught Gordon's breath: the iridescent dome grabbed a spot of sun and shone like the soft interior of an oyster shell. Each individual component of the ship was a work of art and engineering, but as a whole it launched the mind into flights of imagination. This was the adventure Gordon sought. He was stunned that an object could conjure up such primal feelings, but this was not a simple object. In that heartbeat of a moment, he had resolved to earn the coin to buy it for her from the man who owned it if she would only pilot him to new lands of discovery.

A giddy smile spread from his face to influence his gait, walking more quickly toward the airship with a renued excitement. Already at this distance he could hear Vilthal's excited yelling to Gajine at some new discovery though he couldn't make out the words. The profile of MAC could be seen going through the motions of work and as they got a little closer, the Cleric of Gond hunched near the transfer case with Olivia standing over him casually balancing the rocking of the boat like a practiced professional. Gordon whooped as he reached the base of the stairs leading up to the pier and yelled up to the deck, "Permission to come aboard?!"


 
__________________
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 05-15-2019, 01:43 PM
DaysUntold's Avatar
DaysUntold DaysUntold is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-23-2019
RPXP: 2678
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Posts: 773
Olivia
left-aligned image

Olivia wasn't really expecting the hurried voice she heard behind her spouting words at a pace that made it seemed as if the woman herself were powered by an engine of tremendous power. She smiled, excited to have the company. She loved MAC, but he wasn't much for conversation. Perhaps between him and Vilthal they would even eachother out. She nodded to the woman who was still speaking a mile a minute, 'or perhaps not,' she thought, not at all dismayed.

They enjoyed a short conversation on the mile walk down the road, Gajine catching up with them out of breath about halfway there. Seeing the excitement on their faces as they rounded the corner to the dock made the chaos of the past few days melt away and for the first time in a long time she felt like she could actually relate to those around her. She led them up the dock and threw her bag over the rail before turning back to them and asking if they knew how to board safely. The weather was calm which was reassuring. She probably wouldn't be allowing them to board for the first time in a storm like the other day, having barely wanted to do it herself. Olivia wasn't much of a stickler for rules and protocol and things of that nature, but she'd be damned if someone was going to die on her ship.

She grabbed a long flexible length of hempen rope that functioned as the standing rigging, its roughness reassuring against her palm, before stepping on to the gunwale and then down onto the dock itself. Zayne had allowed her to modify the gunwale to make it wider so that it could accomodate MAC. The other unexpected plus side was that it was wide enough that attempting to enter onto the deck without first placing both feet on the gunwale itself would have been uncomfortable, meaning she got to avoid the uncomfortable safety explanations for people who tried to cut corners - at least that conversation anyways. She watched as the other two did the same, MAC following behind them, before giving them a quick tour. They got the coal going first before prepping the rest of the ship, after which Gajine asked to examine the engine room closer which she was happy to oblige. By the time the others came, everything was just about finished.

Olivia stood on the deck, the cool breeze toying with her hair, and watched as the other's arrived. Few outside of those who work on boats know to ask for permission to board and it was reassuring for some odd reason. She smiled at Gordon's formality and obvious excitement but found herself raising an eyebrow at him as she nodded. While she watched them board she wondered at how formal and gentleman-like he had been acting and whether that was normal for him or just a correction from the day before. If it was the former it was quite possible that not many had seen him as flustered and uncomposed as she had.

She pulled the fenders back on board, hanging them in the companionway and then heading towards the helm of the ship as MAC released the bow and port dock lines. As soon as he released the spring lines, she pulled the boat away from dock, the two working in unison like well oiled cogs in a machine. It was only an hour or so to Hence, but she was happy to be back aboard her boat again.

Stat Block - Olivia
 
__________________
Many a flower is born to blush unseen and waste its sweetness on the desert air

Eye of Solaris | The Great Exile | Return to Karredral | Waeveran Legends | Madness in Stephanovo
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 05-15-2019, 02:24 PM
MeredithS's Avatar
MeredithS MeredithS is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-23-2019
RPXP: 2193
MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS MeredithS
Posts: 1,472
Airship Travel
Alright gang, we have rules for Vehicle Use and Travel. I mentioned during the original ad we will be using UA's Of Ships and the Sea.. We are but some of the rules are slightly modified to fit this campaign theme. I will post the complete set of rules with those adjustment in the Campaign Information section at some point. If you have the pdf, feel free to browse it for general guidelines I will probably follow. Just keep in mind, there are definitely things I have changed.

For this 1 hour flight... I don't foresee anything wonky happening, thus not needing the rules for anything foreseeable. I will roll one time however for an event that could possibly happen while you're taking off, flying or landing. (so three rolls total any time you intend to travel ). For every hour of travel, I will roll another event roll. My table is littered with more good then misfortunate events. Most of the harder events are only segways into a scenario, it's not like I'll throw Gajine off the side.

Wanted to give this heads up now before I post.


Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:02 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB